Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant: Fire ants or termites

Communities > Forums > Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant
bookmark
Forum: Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire AntReplies: 2, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tom1alt
Garland, TX

March 7, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8411728

This is just a theory but seems to have been proven in my situation. I have lived at the same residence for many years. I have had termites {to my knowledge} a grand total of 1 year. The year I had them was the only year the fire ants essentially disappeared from the yard. When the termite treatment guy came out, I brought up that observation and he said "termites and fire ants are mortal enemies". Then, when I said "well then, it appears to me that if you don't notice a big downturn in your fire ants infestation, you pretty much have your natural termite inspection done without having to pay for one." I found it amusing you could hear a pin drop after I said that, and I know he heard it. Bottom line: I'm not pro fire-ant but the last thing I want to is to eradicate all of them. I am firmly convinced that as long as you have some fire ants, they will keep the termites away.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8426581

I agree Tom. They are wonderful at softening up the soil too. I am not a fan of nuking anything to death, because there is a need for "bad" bugs as well as good.
Tom1alt
Garland, TX

March 14, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8427613

Thanks for your reply and I have noticed the soil "softening" also...especially helpful in clay soil which quite frankly I consider garbage soil. It gets as hard as a rock when dry and when wet, it has the composition of double bubble chewing gum. Once again, I am not defending fire ants by any stretch. Having said that, I can definitely think of 2 positives to them...one is a deterent to termites which I am firmly convinced is true and second, the one you mentioned about breaking down the clay "gumbo" type soil that this area of Texas has. I don't think our area will ever be confused with having "sandy loam". LOL!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HATE THOSE THINGS!!!!! 1cros3nails4gvn 3 Apr 14, 2008 8:59 PM
Clorox on the stings! SCNewbie 16 May 9, 2008 2:00 AM
They're coming melody 1 Mar 13, 2011 6:17 AM
Fire Ants & Blood Meal NatureWalker 1 May 22, 2008 12:03 PM
Soda Water girlgroupgirl 2 Mar 14, 2011 12:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America