Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant: Fire ants or termites

Communities > Forums > Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant
bookmark
Forum: Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire AntReplies: 2, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tom1alt
Garland, TX

March 7, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8411728

This is just a theory but seems to have been proven in my situation. I have lived at the same residence for many years. I have had termites {to my knowledge} a grand total of 1 year. The year I had them was the only year the fire ants essentially disappeared from the yard. When the termite treatment guy came out, I brought up that observation and he said "termites and fire ants are mortal enemies". Then, when I said "well then, it appears to me that if you don't notice a big downturn in your fire ants infestation, you pretty much have your natural termite inspection done without having to pay for one." I found it amusing you could hear a pin drop after I said that, and I know he heard it. Bottom line: I'm not pro fire-ant but the last thing I want to is to eradicate all of them. I am firmly convinced that as long as you have some fire ants, they will keep the termites away.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8426581

I agree Tom. They are wonderful at softening up the soil too. I am not a fan of nuking anything to death, because there is a need for "bad" bugs as well as good.
Tom1alt
Garland, TX

March 14, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8427613

Thanks for your reply and I have noticed the soil "softening" also...especially helpful in clay soil which quite frankly I consider garbage soil. It gets as hard as a rock when dry and when wet, it has the composition of double bubble chewing gum. Once again, I am not defending fire ants by any stretch. Having said that, I can definitely think of 2 positives to them...one is a deterent to termites which I am firmly convinced is true and second, the one you mentioned about breaking down the clay "gumbo" type soil that this area of Texas has. I don't think our area will ever be confused with having "sandy loam". LOL!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Battling the Infamous Imported Fire Ant Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HATE THOSE THINGS!!!!! 1cros3nails4gvn 3 Apr 14, 2008 8:59 PM
Clorox on the stings! SCNewbie 16 May 9, 2008 2:00 AM
They're coming melody 1 Mar 13, 2011 6:17 AM
Fire Ants & Blood Meal NatureWalker 1 May 22, 2008 12:03 PM
Soda Water girlgroupgirl 2 Mar 14, 2011 12:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America