Photo by Melody

Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?: Summer Chocolate Mimosa

Communities > Forums > Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?Replies: 0, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
palebo7
Dallas, TX

March 7, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8411813

I'm a professional Landscape Designer in Dallas TX and I've heard for years the controversy about the Mimosa.
Although most of our plant choices for clients tend towards the Native, we also spec adaptive ( native adaptive, ie Crapemyrtles)
And I have used the Albizia julibrissin 'Summer Chocolate' for clients who are true gardeners and have to have a unique plant.

I have the gorgeous Summer Chocolate in my yard ( and young little baby, and expensive too!) - and I love this tree for it's striking bronze/chocolate foliage and pom-pom flowers ( their actually a bit garish for my garden, but they recall wonderful child hood memories)
Here's my 2 cents - yea, it's somewhat invasive and shorter lived than say a Cercis canadensis , but not nearly as troublesome as some plants can be - including natives to north Texas, where I live.
If all you could plant was 1 - 5 trees, then Mimosa wouldn't be in my top recommendations, unless you just had to have a bronze/chocolate foliage tree, as there aren't' many others that I know of.

But if you have a place for a specimen, then go for it! Just know it's kind of messy, so don't put near a pool, and weak wooded

FYI - when it comes to native plants - I have native Horseherb ( Calyptocarpus vialis) that seeded out in my yard - and I can't get rid of it fast enough. If all I wanted was a fast growing ground cover in the shade, this is great, but it over grows everything very fast)

please feel free to check out our site: http://www.dallasgardens.com for plant library and our blog

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Mimosa is a favorite Treasure UniQueTreasures 20 Oct 4, 2009 9:45 PM
Mimosa tree nathaliecraft 6 Sep 28, 2009 12:51 PM
Mimosa catevala 1 Sep 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Mimosa tree shirleyt 1 Sep 26, 2009 4:02 AM
Leaf Drop of Gardinia garden328 2 Mar 9, 2011 10:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America