Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carolina Gardening: Blooming in March

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 63, Views: 449
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8412246

Since Spring is definitely on the way, the plants in the greenhouse are starting to wake up and bloom! When I walked in this morning, my tropical hibiscus Sun Showers was open! I've noticed that the cooler it is the more red is has.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8414498

All my so called hardy hibiscus did not make it. (3)

But yours are gorgeous. Gotta get a greenhouse.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8414526

Actually Sun Showers is a Tropical Hibiscus .. Hibiscus rosa-sinensis and definitely not hardy in zone 8 .. Hibiscus moscheutos are the supposedly hardy zone 8 hibiscus .. I've rarely had them come back.

X
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8414917

The hardy hibiscus take a while to come up and will be complete dead above ground. I'm warmer than you and I see no sign of life out of my hardies but they will come back, they do every year. I thought they were hardy below zone 8????

Okay not to get everyone confused I'm talking about these as "hardy hibiscus". Hibiscus moscheutos http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/982/

The tropical ones barely come back on the coast and an odd thing I noticed is the red tropical ones seem to be the hardiest. Forget about the fancy ones outside during the winter they need over 32 degrees.

BTW the Hibiscus moscheutos are fun to cross breed if you have a few together they'll cross all by their selves making a random colored flower as far as I can figure out.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8414963

The moscheutos is suppose to be hardy to like zone 6 but every year I plant them in the ground and in 10 years I've had one come back. Now oddly enough, when I lived in Virginia they all came back. Last year was the first time I planted Luna Pink Swirl in the ground so I'm keeping my fingers crossed they will return but I certainly won't hold my breath!
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8415075

I think it's just too hot for the moscheutus here on the coast. Mine don't ever bloom the way they're supposed to.
Begon - you won't know if your hardy comes back for at least a month, if not more. Don't throw them out!! I transpanted mine today and there was no new growth. The only way I know it's alive is the healthy root system.
On an up note, my nectarine is in full bloom.
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie

rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8416260

I winter sowed Hardy Hib and they are coming up like crazy right now - can't wait to see how the seedlings from last year grow this year - ok I have to fess up on these - they took forever to germ last year and by September weren't even a foot tall - I was so perturbed I tossed them in their 4" pots under the back deck and when cleaning out that area two weeks ago found them and their root system survived...I need to learn to be meaner to my yard LOL

I'm hoping they are really truly still alive and I can add them to large pots for the wedding in July - we shall see...The lily's I planted for centerpieces are all coming up...now if they will only co-operate and bloom accordingly so I don't have to buy flowers for the center pieces (hoping my hydrangea, crocosmia and a few others comply too - doing burgandy and deep orange as the colors :)~
Linny1
(Linny) Salem, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8416653

OK, Barb, I'll wait it out. Love those big white flowers. Hope they come back.

Thanks, Linny
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8417115

Linny,
I know what you're going through. I'm staring down my crape myrtles that are showing NO signs of life as we speak...
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8417405

Sigh, doesn't look like there is any life in my bleeding heart vines either.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2011
2:13 AM

Post #8417724

On an upnote, my Jasmine sambac didn't die! It's only marginally hardy here, I planted it last Fall and didn't protect it. Needless to say, I didn't think it would survive, but there's new growth at the base!
Barb
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8434045

Does "Sprouting in March" count? These ferns are at the end of the Captain's pond. We dug them out of the woods several years ago. Always miss stage because we are usually gone on the boat this time of year, so we are enjoying this beautiful spring here.
Entlie

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 8:51 AM

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 8:53 AM

Thumbnail by Entlie

Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8434049

Belle of Georgia Dwarf Peach Blossoming. This is the tree that was supposed to be a plum :)
Entlie

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 8:54 AM

Thumbnail by Entlie

Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8434053

Plain old lorapetalum. This one is going gangbusters.
Entlie

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 8:54 AM

Thumbnail by Entlie

Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8434057

Pulmonaria Mrs. Moon, from my daughter Stacy (Sstateham on DG). We bought these together at the Cincinnati Flower Show years ago, I lost mine when we moved from Kentucky, and she gave me a start from one of hers.
Entlie

Thumbnail by Entlie

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8434234

Beautiful! .. I'm beginning to think you like pink! Does the lorapetalum have a fragrance? Does it set seed easily and become nuisance with zillions of seedlings? I'm thinking I'd like one of those if it's not high maintenance.

X
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8434395

Dutch Iris have just started in...

Thumbnail by rednyr

rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8434397

love this frilly Daffodil...

Thumbnail by rednyr

rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8434398

Alba Akebia - who doesn't love Chocolate Vine LOL

Thumbnail by rednyr

Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8434483

Xerantheum, thanks - Yes, I'm trying to do pink, blue and white with some yellow and no or little orange, but that doesn't always work out. The lorapetalum is just the common contractor landscaping plant, and wish there was a fragrance, but not on mine. Mine is pretty well behaved - occasionally it sets out a layered stem which goes away when it's clipped off.. This one in the front is really flamboyant - have one in the back which we moved the second year, and it barely gets by. Need to soil test that bed. I'm not usually here this time of year (gone on the boat), so not sure how messy these flowers will be when they drop. They'll probably be covered by pine pollen and unnoticeable?
Entlie
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8435190

I wait all year and most of the winter, but now two years in a row my White BOP hasn't disappointed. Beautiful plant. Two more flower stalks on the back too just waiting to open. Can't wait to get it out in the yard in a few weeks.

Thumbnail by keonikale

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8435571

OMG! That's stunning!
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8436313

I am totally jealous John!! been waiting on mine for 3 yrs now :( absolutely beautiful...you'll have to share your fertiliz. secrets! lol
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8436365

I think it's all in the, eh... neglect. Ever since I stopped fertilizing it and watering it a lot, it blooms. Go figure. Same with the other Orange BOP. Seems like the more I leave it alone, the better it blooms. Just give it plenty of sun and let the rain and/or sprinklers do their thing and it seems happy. Odd thing is I have another BOP, even larger than this one, and it never blooms. So strange. I wonder if they might be different types, if memory serves me right, there's two types of giant white BOPs? The one that blooms I got from the Florida Key's. The others mostly came from local nurseries, though I think the largest did in fact come from Florida too. I wish I knew my own secret, lol.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8436552

Neglect = blooming is not as odd as you might think .. since a plants biological imperative is to reproduce itself, the more stress it's under the more it blooms - that's why a lot of plants that are root bound bloom profusely. When I get plants that won't bloom, I quit feeding them and water sparingly and usually blooms aren't too far behind .. go figure.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8437788

well I did find out I was giving it an incorrect fert. ratio - so I bought one that is a 12-4-8 in hopes that might help. I know they need to be rootbound to flower and at least 3-4 years old so...here's hoping this will be the year for all of us John LOL
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8438043

Now that mine are outside, I'm goignt o fertilize them and will try that ratio - 12-4-8. We'll see!
Barb
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8438066

There are several things that disqualify me to be a resident of the south- don't follow college football, dislike azaleas, hate loropetalum, despise pimento cheese, etc. However, I like the psychotic nature of my neighbor's loropetalum, hope they never trim it. It makes me laugh every time I pass it.

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks

bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8438073

This is one of my favorite plant purchases of the last few years, Iris japonica "Wuhan Angel." It's great for dry shade, and it was promised to spread 10' in 3 years, and it's making good inroads in that direction. Darn thing is almost impossible to photograph, but it has beautiful white blooms with a hint of lavender markings.

bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8438074

O.k., so not a bloom, but this hosta is screaming yellow when it emerges. Love it!

bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8438075

Bridal wreath spirea.

bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8438078

Viburnum. Don't remember which one. I threatened to shovel prune it for years, thank goodness I was too lazy.

bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8438082

Species tulip. Planted 100 or so in the lawn, and they're just starting to bloom. They're way too cute.

bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8438085

Cinnamon ferns emerging.

rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8443032

One of the cats ate his bloomin' tail...does that count for bloomin' in March :)

Thumbnail by rednyr

Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2011
1:39 AM

Post #8444377

I'm sure my pink camellia is blooming by now. There was a bud almost completely open yesterday. Can't post a pic since it's 4:38 Am, but I will try to remember this afternoon! ;)
Barb
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2011
3:10 AM

Post #8452671

I just had to add this - blooming and exploding all over everywhere!
Entlie

Thumbnail by Entlie

Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2011
3:41 AM

Post #8452685

When I lived in Kentucky I loved to photograph tobacco barns and someone told me you can tell a Yankee because they are photographing tobacco barns! Probably the same applies to pine trees, wisteria and jessamine, but I couldn't resist these beautiful wild things.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2011 5:42 AM

Thumbnail by Entlie

rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8452755

Entilie - you're not alone, this yankee loves Wisteria too...never saw it grow until I moved to the Carolina's so it's not common or ordinary to me - on the road to school there is a huge patch of white wisteria I've been trying to gear myself up to stop and ask the owner if I could have a piece...it is stunning amidst the purple...
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8452763

Entlie, I'm with you. I know we're supposed to disdain wisteria as an invasive species, but I love it, too. Beautiful photo.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8452859

It rained here yesterday and I had huge yellow puddles all around the house .. took me a minute to realize it was pollen being washed off the roof.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8455672

I don't know what it is about gloomy rainy days - but they really seem to make the dogwoods stand out even more brightly :)

Thumbnail by rednyr

rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8455683

The Monarda has spread like wild fire in the back bed...the Peonies have buds (thinking I better get those covered for tonight's cold?) and the Tricyrtis has a lot of offsets coming up this year...

Thumbnail by rednyr

Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8455843

Love the dogwood photo! I have a kousa that has never really done much. It's planted as an understory tree, thinking about moving it.
Entlie
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8456019

That is a really pretty dogwood shot. I swear the dogwoods are blooming more this year than I've seen in a while.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8456249

I've noticed that too about the dogwoods .. they all seem to be saying "look at me!".

rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8456666

Entilie - all but one of our dogwoods are understory plantings for oaks - are they blooming at all for you? what type of tree's are they under?
BSD
Conway, SC

March 28, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8457374

Love this beautiful pink dogwood. We have two of them in the front of our house.

Thumbnail by BSD

bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2011
12:02 AM

Post #8457593

BSD- beautiful! I bought a baby pink dogwood a couple years ago. It hasn't bloomed yet, but I have hope!

Rednyr- my dogwoods that get a lot of sun have been blooming for a couple weeks, but those that are truly understory and get a lot of shade are just starting to bloom.
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8457728

Rednyr - the kousa is mostly under pines and maples. And not in real deep shade. I'm not usually here this time of year (on boat), but it barely grows and neighbors say it doesn't bloom. At least I thought I'd move to the fringe border of the lawn, it would get about 1/2 shade there. Not until fall, though. Barely leafing out now.
Entlie
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8457831

I'd almost be scared to move a dogwood, I've always heard they don't transplant well, and every tree I've tried to establish in my yard, either purchased from Lowe's or my parents house has died. Could just be my soil (doubtful), but I've heard others say to be careful when moving them too. If it's not blooming this year though, it may be worth a shot at moving it.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8457839

Check the soil ph, especially the one's under pines...Dogwoods like ph 6-7, if you have older pines the soil be my around 4'ish and that would be a hindrence...just a quick thought :)
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8458023

Thanks. I really should do that.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8458037

We had a wonderful wild dogwood with unusually large flowers at our Columbia home and it regularly had seedlings underneath. We learned the most successful way to transplant these babies was to lift them with lots of soil clinging to the roots and directly plant them where we wanted them. When we tried to pot them up with potting mix they didn't make it and if the soil fell off the roots they didn't make it either.
BSD
Conway, SC

March 29, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8458496

We have many white dogwoods on two lots. The orignal ones are 50-60 years old. I have transplanted the others from the many seedlings that appear. If you have azaleas that thrive then so will dogwoods. They like acid soil and go light on fertilizer. I never fertilize mine. Move them after they loose all their leaves. If you wait until they leaf-out, they won't make it.
This picture is one of the original dogwoods. Their lifespann (I have been told ) is 50 years. We will have to cut down 5 this year that we are pretty sure are close to 60 yrs. old.

Thumbnail by BSD

rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8458511

That's strange, I always read Dogwoods were neutral soil ph not acidic and that's what we relayed to customers at the Nursery I used to work for...learn something new everyday on here! :)
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8458915

Makes sense - we also have a couple of azaleas that don't do well in that same general area.
Entlie
BSD
Conway, SC

March 29, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8459007

rednyr, You made me stop and question myself. I was afraid I had given you the wrong information. The streets in Conway are lined with dogwoods and this time of year they are beautiful. In all of the homes on the historical trail, there are always large azalea bushes under the dogwoods. The soil here in the city is acidic. If you venture out a mile or more it is a different story. Dogwoods do not do well in the new subdivisions.
Check out this info.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/trees/hgic1010.html
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8459597

LOL...didn't mean to make you question yourself!! really there are so many different thoughts on the subject it's only when we are faced with 'why isn't this doing well' that we start to dig (yes pun intended) for answers!

Since the AZ aren't doing well either and there are Pines in the area I would then look at soil type itself...

Of course reading more today on the net there are numerous stories of watering techniques or lack of or too much water that bud set or lack there of is blamed on...so really...it's just narrowing it down to what happened the previous year, where is it planted (slope, flat or pooling area) and oh about another 20 things I read on the internet trying to find the common denominater) LOL
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8461430

With all this talk about dogwoods and seeing them blooming all over town, I decided I NEED one. A pink one actually. And yes, it is a need, not a want.
Barb
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8461658

Sigh, I'd rather have a pink Yoshino Cherry.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8463459

Yes! We got in pink dogwood at work. I now have one in my backyard, waiting to get in the ground!
BSD
Conway, SC

March 31, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8463887

You will love your pink dogwood. Ours are 10 years old now and they are more beautiful each year. They were slow to grow at first but after 2 years they really took off. They are now around 18' tall. That is their mature height --- I think.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8464459

This one is going next to a silver maple that's on its way out. They're life span is about 15 years. by the time the dogwood get happy and settled, a few years, it'll be time to cut the (then) dying silver maple down.
Dogwoods were my Mom's favorite tree tree and my husband likes pink, so that's my justification for buying it!
Barb

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America