Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bellababy
Bend, OR

March 7, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8412839

I live in Central Oregon and we have 3 burning bush near the sidewalk. They are absolutely beautiful in the summer when they are loaded with greenery. They are compact and do not spread. To the left side of our home, near the back, we have a gigantic one, and that, too, has not caused any problems. So, in essence, it's safe to say it's fine to have the dwarfs, but wonder what we are in for with the 10 footer. Thanks for the article!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8414294

You are most welcome, but as Paul Rodman said in another article, think of me as Paul Revere. The map of burning bush takeover mimics that of westward expansion by settlers. In the 1860s when the first innocents were planting E. alatus in Massachusetts and Connecticut, I don't think many people were planting ornamentals in most of OR. (Correct me please, if I am mistaken.) I warned you! ^_^

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion, and please read some of the other comments too.
hooikaika
Newcastle, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9474679

I live in Seattle area and love my Euonymus alatus 'Compacta'

I have no intentions on removing it. I love the appearance when the new leaves bud out in spring and love the fall color.

Please don't use absolutes when it comes to labeling a plant as invasive. The Pacific Northwest is a much different climate than the other regions where it is invasive. I look at our invasive weed and plant list before planting any plants.

Also, Norway Maples are planted everywhere in our area. They area popular street tree.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2013 9:45 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Don't Get Burned by "Burning Bush" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Should be outlawed in the whole US JuneyBug 9 Mar 8, 2011 9:01 AM
Had no idea! Sundownr 17 Mar 7, 2011 2:00 PM
It should burn in h... quiltjean 1 Mar 7, 2011 8:21 AM
Invasive species Notill 9 Mar 11, 2011 11:40 AM
Dwarf Burning Bushes from Stark Bro's Th d94114 3 Mar 18, 2011 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America