Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Morning Glories: trying something new

Communities > Forums > Morning Glories
bookmark
Forum: Morning GloriesReplies: 10, Views: 145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8414136

I love the baggie method and soaking and stuff. they all work but am trying something new.

Kfc was where we ate the other night with friends. They had these cool little resuable containers for there sides now. sides have gotten small. but anyway thinking of trying them to start seeds. put the wet paper towel in bottom seeds in paper towel then cover with another paper towel and put top on mini container. mini greenhouse for seeds. and can even put peroxide in it too if want to soak seeds. its clear plastic

will let you know how works.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8414522

Sounds like a plan! I had these little tiny cups that I numbered and dropped two seeds in each for soaking in H2O2. When the seeds started splitting, I planted the seeds in the bigger 8 oz. stryofoam cups with potting mix. I had a very good germination rate doing that!

Good luck and do let us know how those containers work! Pictures would be great so that we can see what those containers look like. :-)
dem2rd
Naugatuck, CT
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2011
2:41 AM

Post #8415862

Why peroxide?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 9, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8416485

That sounds great Marie, it sounds like a great plan and you could put so many more seeds in a plastic container too.

I believe that Peroxide in the water provides oxygen to the seeds (correct me if I am wrong please anyone).
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 9, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8416583

Yes, it provides oxygen and helps prevent seed rot. :-) All good! :-)
dem2rd
Naugatuck, CT
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8416645

for this newbie, what is the ratio of H2O to peroxide, and do you just soak it overbite? Thanks for the help in advance!
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2011
3:25 AM

Post #8525610

The best disinfectant I have ever used on seeds, is plane old 10% Iodine, and it only takes a few drops. You want it to be pale yellow, not black orange like it comes out of the bottle. And you can get it at any drug store. I have kept germinating seeds in a film of water in covered petri plates for 2 weeks without mildew. I never did get mildew while using Iodine. Frank
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 28, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8526144

Hey Frank, good to see you here...!!! wow, long time no see!!..

Are you talking about the same Idodine used for cuts/wounds, etc? Thanks..
A.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8526634

Wow Hi Frank. ok Iodine. I did get a few seeds to germinate but a few rotted so will give the iodine a try.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 28, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8527259

The use of Iodine is something worth trying! Thanks for the heads up on that, Frank!!!
FLChilders
Clatskanie, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8531351

Gourd, yes it is the same iodine. Beware, Iodine stains permanently, worse than anything I know. I would suggest a trial experiment with seeds known to rot easily. It only takes a few drops of the iodine, because it is so powerful. Put in the water til it is lite yellow, and then moisten your paper towel with the yellow water. It gets evenly distributed this way. Frank

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America