Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Raised bed gets morning sun...suggestions on what to plant?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 153
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weasel71
Lombard, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8414373

My DH is in the process of building me a couple of raised vegetable beds. One will be placed in full sun and the other will be placed in a spot that only gets morning sun, but is an IDEAL spot considering its close proximity to my back stairs/kitchen. Does anyone have any suggestions on what can be grown in that bed successfully? I'm definitely going to try snap peas and green beans, but need some other ideas to fill the space. The raised beds are 4x8. I live in zone 5. Thanks in advance.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8415402

strawberries?

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8415456

Do you already have herbs? I like to grow basil, thyme, oregano, parsley, and cilantro (I do live in Texas, and salsa is a must). Herbs should do well with part-day sun. You could also grow leaf lettuces, radishes, even green onions. All would be convenient near the kitchen.

David
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8439140

I have an area that gets only morning sun and found that strawberries don't do well. I think it might be because we don't get the blistering heat like other places do. I have had success with lettuce, spinach, basil (it ends up a bit small, but flavor is good), rosemary, snap peas, red onions and cilantro.
Good luck!
AngieMarie
Philomath, OR

March 21, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8441402

I have a spot like that as well. My successes have largely been leafy greens - spinach, chard, lettuce, etc. Some herbs are happy there as well. If you want something a bit more permanent, I've found the raspberry and rhubarb both don't mind only getting morning sun.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8449386

I had nice success with a trellis growing cucumbers in a partly shaded spot. They took a little longer to produce, but lasted longer than those in full sun and didn't get huge overnight.
Aquannie
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8449411

Almost all of my EBs and raised beds are up against the east wall of my home so they only get morning sun. Everything in them grows as good as the veggies I have out in the full sun. My tomatoes and squash are already blooming . They get about six hours a day of full sun and tons of reflected light. I say give the veggies you love a try there. It may turn out well for you.
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8449420

cathy4,

Did you have your cucumbers against the wall? I thought about putting some there, but did not know if they would do well w/ limited shade. I think I will give it a try and see what happens. I used to use that bed for strawberries and tomatoes, but they did not do well there. I was thinking about putting up some foil behind the trellis to help reflect the light to the back side of the plant.

How long is your growing season. I see you are in zone 5a as well as weasel and I are.

onyx
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8449441

My cukes were out in the open on a corner of my flower garden, shaded by a tree a good part of the day. I was trying to screen an ugly shed in my neighbor's yard and decided to use veggies instead of flowers, figured I had nothing to lose except a few seeds. I started them in a peat pot first to get them going. Green beans grew but didn't produce.
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8450445

Thanks, I will give it a shot. I am also going to fill it up w/ herbs since it is close to the house. I have heard that potatoes do well with morning sun/afternoon shade so I am going to give that a shot.

weasel,
Have you decided what are going to plant?
weasel71
Lombard, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8458543

Wow! Thanks for all your suggestions. So here's what I decided to plant in that bed:

bush beans (Renegade) and snap peas (Super Sugar) closest to the brick wall

Brussels sprouts (Roodnerf)

radishes (French Breakfast, Pink Lady Slipper, Red Meat)- could you tell I like radishes?

carrots (Purple Haze)

lettuce (Wild Garden Mix), although I may plant these in containers so I have room for more radishes. ;)

If I have room, I'll also throw in some sweet peppers (Tequila Sunrise, Red Ruffled)
and a pickle (Mexican Sour Gherkin). These are more or less an experiment. I will also have these planted in the bed that gets full sun.

I do grow herbs, but usually stick to pots because I like how they look on the back steps. This year I'll grow basil, chives, mint and dill.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America