Photo by Melody

Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’: I just ordered these roses..

Communities > Forums > Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’
bookmark
Forum: Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’Replies: 3, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
liltycat
Conyers, GA

March 9, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8416330

Do I need to do anything special when I plant them?
Im so excited!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8416444

Just plant as yoou would any rose.. I'm not a rosarian by any means, but I would amend the planting hole (especially if you have GA clay) to promote good drainage. I like polymer moisture crystals and slow-release fertilizer pellets when I plant anything... if your rose is arriving bare root, you could make a slurry of rehydrated crystals to coat the roots, then mix the rest of the polymer into the planting hole. Again, thinking of drainage, you might consider planting it into a bit of a mounded up "hill," unless the area where you're putting it is sloped or generally quite dry.

I hope your new plant does beautifully for you!
mags3333
Palm Coast, FL

April 17, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8502706

I bought two of these from a local antique rose nursery and the owner of the nursery owner suggested that I add a small scoop of Milorganite on top of the roses, around the roots. If the leaves start yellowing, add a small amount of epsom salts also. I'm a newbie to this and my Zephirines are doing great in the several weeks since I planted them. Hope yours are doing well also!!! ;) Can't wait till they climb and bloom!!!

Thumbnail by mags3333
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8502957

Those sound like good tips! Milorganite is a great fertilizer, but I've learned not to put it too close to a walkway or sitting area... I swear, it stinks every time it gets wet! LOL

I tend to forget about epsom salts... they're a great source of magnesium and so easy to apply, just throw it around by the handful!

Thank you! I hope your plants really take off in the next couple of years. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’ Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great idea! adinamiti 11 Jul 10, 2008 6:52 PM
Anyone have this rose in Zone 4? dahlianut 4 Jul 8, 2008 11:59 AM
Nice article about a nice rose. PaulFromAL 11 Jul 9, 2008 11:25 AM
Zephirine Drouhin msmouser 3 Jul 22, 2008 2:40 AM
no blooms jaxweaver 2 Jul 28, 2009 1:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America