Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’: I just ordered these roses..

Communities > Forums > Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’
bookmark
Forum: Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’Replies: 3, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
liltycat
Conyers, GA

March 9, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8416330

Do I need to do anything special when I plant them?
Im so excited!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8416444

Just plant as yoou would any rose.. I'm not a rosarian by any means, but I would amend the planting hole (especially if you have GA clay) to promote good drainage. I like polymer moisture crystals and slow-release fertilizer pellets when I plant anything... if your rose is arriving bare root, you could make a slurry of rehydrated crystals to coat the roots, then mix the rest of the polymer into the planting hole. Again, thinking of drainage, you might consider planting it into a bit of a mounded up "hill," unless the area where you're putting it is sloped or generally quite dry.

I hope your new plant does beautifully for you!
mags3333
Palm Coast, FL

April 17, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8502706

I bought two of these from a local antique rose nursery and the owner of the nursery owner suggested that I add a small scoop of Milorganite on top of the roses, around the roots. If the leaves start yellowing, add a small amount of epsom salts also. I'm a newbie to this and my Zephirines are doing great in the several weeks since I planted them. Hope yours are doing well also!!! ;) Can't wait till they climb and bloom!!!

Thumbnail by mags3333
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8502957

Those sound like good tips! Milorganite is a great fertilizer, but I've learned not to put it too close to a walkway or sitting area... I swear, it stinks every time it gets wet! LOL

I tend to forget about epsom salts... they're a great source of magnesium and so easy to apply, just throw it around by the handful!

Thank you! I hope your plants really take off in the next couple of years. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My Favorite Climbing Rose, ‘Zephirine Drouhin’ Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great idea! adinamiti 11 Jul 10, 2008 6:52 PM
Anyone have this rose in Zone 4? dahlianut 4 Jul 8, 2008 11:59 AM
Nice article about a nice rose. PaulFromAL 11 Jul 9, 2008 11:25 AM
Zephirine Drouhin msmouser 3 Jul 22, 2008 2:40 AM
no blooms jaxweaver 2 Jul 28, 2009 1:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America