Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?: Mimosa-Love it

Communities > Forums > Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?Replies: 3, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SueR52
Cleveland, OH

March 9, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8416516

My family is originally from Memphis, Tennessee. We live in Cleveland, Ohio now. I always remember visiting relatives in Memphis as a kid and loving the Mimosa trees that lined the streets. Their fragrance was lovely and the tree in bloom was wonderful to look at. I have been tempted to try and grow one in Cleveland, but it is awful cold here in winter. Thanks for the article and pictures! Enjoyed it tremendously!
Southernbell421
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8419055

I had several Mimosa trees on our property here in Florida and while they are very pretty to look at when they flower, WOW- they are messy and spread like wild fire from the seed pods! We finally cut down our trees and they are not easy to cut down. Now, we have to constantly keep a look out for any baby Mimosa trees sprouting up in the yard. Not the kind of tree I want to ever have in my yard again...
mgpaquin
Savannah, GA

March 14, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8427011

I'm with Southerbell421 here. Maybe in Memphis and Cleveland they're not invasive. Mercifully I don't have any in my immediate neighborhood now, but when I first came to Savannah there were mimosa trees about a block away. Yanking up the seedlings that popped up EVERYWHERE was enormously time consuming, especially when they showed up all through the flower and veggie beds where if they got too big and were pulled up they'd take valuable plants with them. I just LOATHE the things.
Southernbell421
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9298560

These trees are very invasive down here in Florida. Although we have taken out all mimosa in our yard, the neighboring yards still have them and the seed pods just keep blowing back into our yard where we have to keep destroying the young plants when they come up. Someone once told me their grandson had killed the mimosa tree they had just by climbing on it. I find that very hard to believe. We even tried to pour old used car oil on a stump and it still tried to grow. They have to be cut down and the roots removed as well or they will try to come back the next year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Mimosa is a favorite Treasure UniQueTreasures 20 Oct 4, 2009 9:45 PM
Mimosa tree nathaliecraft 6 Sep 28, 2009 12:51 PM
Mimosa catevala 1 Sep 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Mimosa tree shirleyt 1 Sep 26, 2009 4:02 AM
Leaf Drop of Gardinia garden328 2 Mar 9, 2011 10:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America