The ultimate in trash to treasure?

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Wow, found this today, and thought some of you would appreciate it! Amazing, in my opinion, as I would never have thought of this!

http://dornob.com/upcycling-old-grain-silos-houses-homes-hotels-inns/

Southern California, CA

Interesting homes. I really liked the whole "domob" site!! I subscribed. How did you find out about it? What does domob mean?

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

A friend sent me an email about the TX silo house, so I just googled it, and found the domob site. Have no clue what it stands for, but found it really interesting! Every farm and ranch in our area has those silos, and what a great way to recycle them. I wonder how hard they are to insulate? And do you suppose they echo?

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Hmmmm, just wondering, (and I obviously need an eye exam) but is it domob or dor nob?

Southern California, CA

Ha-ha, you are correct: dor nob. Great site, whatever it is!!!

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

We have one of the smaller silos on our property and my hubby has talked about doing that for years, but I know we won't ever do it (he can't handle it health wise now). I would think as long as you insulated well, that it wouldn't echo.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Gosh, that would take all the fun out of it for the grandkids, lol! I am seriously very impressed tho, I really never would have thought of doing that with an old silo. Am going to have to show pix of this to the family, as they have silos. Then when the kids are driving you nuts, you can send them outside to the silo to live. ;-)

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday Sandi! Hope you have a great day!

Thumbnail by taters55
San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

Amazing! I wonder if there will ever be a way to clean the oil tanks found around here and on the gulf coast. It they could be they might work too.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

VERY cool pictures, thanks for sharing them.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Cool pictures!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Saw one made from 3 short silos on my way to a lodge in the White Mountains here in AZ; I think it was outside of Show Low. Since the elevation is over 7500', it must be well insulated to handle the cold mountain winters.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That's for sure!!!!!

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I would be afraid to invest the money, your resale would probably not be very good I wouldn't think.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

While it's true the resale market might be limited, I think the cost to build/remodel it much less than other forms of housing.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

I'm thinking that dollars per sq ft would be very inexpensive compared to typical new construction. Put lots of windows in, and they would make cute greenhouses too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.