Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Upper Midwest Gardening: Behind-the-scenes at Ebert's Greenhouse

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 19, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8417993

To help put those of us who got snow yesterday in a more spring-like mood, here's a link to my blog article (in pictures) about the behind-the-scenes production tour I took of Ebert's Greenhouse in Ixonia, Wisconsin. (I know some of you southeastern WI folks go there.)

http://petiolejunction.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/behind-the-scenes-garden-nursery/

The tour was fun, and I learned a lot. I was surprised at just how fast the staff pot up plants--it really is just a quick poke, plant, done. And you should've seen them pinch back the geraniums! The guy who demonstrated said he was "slow," but that his sister (who also worked there) was super fast. His fingers were flying at lightning speed compared to the way I pinch back. If that's "slow," I want to see "super fast!"

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 10, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8418979

Very nice. I subscribed to your feed.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8419330

Thanks, duck_toller! Every blogger needs a reader or two, so I appreciate the subscription very much. :)

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8468720

I am so there and signed up also.

Do you get the e-newsletter from Eberts? I do, and Fridays was a doozie. Got so excited about the whole thing then read the last page. An APRIL FOOLS joke. I am so gullible. lol
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8469050

I do get the newsletter and I fell for it, too! I almost phoned my husband and said, "Guess what?!" But then I started thinking that it seemed really odd for a place like Ebert's to become a national park. I mean, they have a lot of land, but a commercial business becoming a park? And a NATIONAL one? Then I looked at the date...

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8469429

I was so fooled that I called my Mother who lives in Ixonia to tell her. She was so excited, especially at the part of the re-doing of SC and lamenting on how my sister would reach her house...

I tell you I fell for it hook, line and sinker. It was only when my Mom asked if I would print it out for her that she would like a copy and printing it and reading the last page... I felt so dumb...falling for an April Fools joke THAT bad...

Mom and I laughed at ourselves for a while and then let it go. Would have been great though, especially the part about revamping SC. Lord, knows it needs it BAD.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8470290

I agree, it would've been great. And it didn't sound THAT far off the beam, you know? Unusual, yes, but not impossible. Silly Ebert's. You're right, though--SC could stand to see some love from the state highway department. ;)

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8470784

Can't wait to get to Eberts though. I always spend way way too much money but their stuff is always so beautiful and healthy. Mother's Day I take my Mom out there and buy here a basket of her choice and they stuff that I think I need but really don't. lol Can't help it. I'm obsessed. There is not 12-step program for buying plants.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8471481

So true, cece. But if there was a 12-step program I wouldn't join it--I enjoy every minute of my addiction, even when my budget doesn't. ;)

I have a gift certificate for Ebert's that my mom gave me for Christmas. She knows just what I like! So now I can't wait until opening day.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8472047

Oh don't I WISH. lol DH hasn't figured out that part yet. Gift Certificate from Eberts, the car for the whole day...My piece of heaven... So nice to know I'm not in THIS particular boat alone...
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8472385

Love the link, Kayley! But . . . I'm really a numbskull . . . are you "petiolejunction" and is that your page? How do I subscribe?
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8472702

I'm the one who writes Petiole Junction (and yeah, its my user name too.) There's a link in the right sidebar to subscribe to the email feed, or you can follow on Twitter. I love subscribers! :D

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8472740

I'm one. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8474612

OK - I'm one, too, now!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8475049

Thanks! *gardener hugs*
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8495106

Well, it's opening day for Ebert's. It's supposedly 37 degrees outside. The rain has moved out...for now.

I'm going. Dumb weather isn't going to keep me down. I will freeze my @ss off, but I'm going. Brrrr!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8495317

I did it!

It was cold, but I picked up a few things: Hosta 'Blue Hawaii,' aquilegia 'Songbird Cardinal' and a fuchsia called 'Autumnale,' which will go in my window boxes as soon as it's not absolutely FREEZING outside.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8495498

I ordered the Autumnale Fuschsia from that green house in Michigan I was talking about. I couldn't go for I had to take granddaughter school and go to the store, and cook and I bet it was wonderful.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8495783

You didn't miss much, cece. It was cold as HELL. And drizzling a bit when I was there, too. But the big greenhouse was awesome (and very WARM). I'm not much for annuals, but couldn't resist the fuchsia.

My first stop was, of course, the hosta house. They have some nice tried-and-true varieties and a few "special" ones. I picked up 'Blue Hawaii' because I'm short on blues in my garden and I've heard it's a good one.

Funny thing. Last year I'd told my husband I was on the lookout for 'Maui Buttercups.' He secretly made plans to buy it for me for Mother's Day. He just assumed that Ebert's would have it (not realizing there are THOUSANDS of hosta varieties, and they can't carry them all), so he went there and asked for it...the day before Mother's Day. They didn't have it. So, being the stubborn hothead that he can sometimes be, he demanded to speak to a manager and to know just WHY they didn't have this wonderful plant I wanted. (I had told him it wasn't all that uncommon.) She apologized and promised to try and get it for him, but he was still frustrated and grumbly because he wanted it NOW. (I feel sorry for the poor people at Ebert's!)

So, every time that spring and summer when we went back to Ebert's he would spot the manager and say, "Did you get that 'Maui Buttercups' in yet?" And they would say no, sorry, they hadn't. And I would wait until he'd wandered away and then apologize profusely for his demanding behavior. (Husbands!) The manager was very understanding and sweet, as ALL the staff at Ebert's tend to be.

So, today I walked into the hosta house to find two full ROWS of 'Maui Buttercups.' And its relative, 'Rainforest Sunrise.' I felt a little embarrassed. Alas, I had found it at another nursery in my travels last year, so I didn't buy one. lol

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8495812

lol well glad I didn't miss anything. Some weekend, after its WARMER, we should meet out there. Just because. Ya think?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America