Apple Crisp

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Just made this for my DS. I have had this recipe 38 years. They served it for our school lunches at Avella Jr Sr High School in PA.

Apple Crisp

4 Cups Granny Smith apples sliced thin
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
...1/2 cup old fashion oatmeal
3/4 Tablespoon cinnamon
3/4 Tablespoon nutmeg
1/3 cup soft butter
place apples in a 8 inch pan. Mix rest of ingredients until crumbly. Spread on top of apples. Bake @ 375 degrees for 30-35 min.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

That sounds delicious and pretty easy to make. I am a sucker for fruit crisps.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks. It is already gone. I double the recipe and make a 9 X 13. I have enough apples to make 1 more. Yum...

Plano, TX

apple crisp is a favorite dessert--but one i seldom make for some reason

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I just made another 9 X 13. It is alot of work peeling and slicing the apples. I know that is why I seldom make it. Doesn't take 1/8th of the time for it to eaten as it does to make it.

Plano, TX

i left the peels on once because it is the healthiest part but it was not quite right--

so true-doesn't take long to eat it!

Lake Park, GA

I keep saying I am going to make Apple Crisp..but never do. I'm going to give your recipe a try. It was my favorite school lunch dessert way back in '57. Thanks for submitting the recipe.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

You are so welcome laneybob. I can't wait to here how you like it. I made 2 back to back when I posted this. My son was thrilled. It doesn't take long to disappear and I double it and make a 9 x 13.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

This sounds good,

I have some canned chopped spiced apples , that I put up last year, will that work instead of the fresh apples. I'm sure it would.

I also canned apple pie in a jar. I need to use that stuff up, got tons of blossoms on my apple trees.

thanks for the reminder.

will have to add that to the menu this week.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Kathy Ann I am sure your canned apples will work. Let us know how it tastes.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I LOVE apple crisp!! Will give your recipe a try! Thanks for posting! .....Now I'm hungry! ;)

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

If you double the recipe, do you have to add minutes to the baking time?

Dahlonega, GA

Ilove , That's when we had decent food at the schools .

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

digger so true.

Glenda_Michigan what I do is pull back a little of the topping in the center of the apple crisp after 30-35 min. I stick it back in and check it every 5 min until the apples look translucent then I remove it from the oven.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Perfect! Thanks so much! .....Yum!! :)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

You are so welcome. Let us know how you like it. :o)

Olympia, WA

Another lover of apple crisp - back in the 50s. I will have to make this - OMG. Maybe a surprise dessert for Easter Sunday!!!!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
1/2 cup old fashion oatmeal

Do you mean *not* instant? Thanks. I'll try this recipe over the weekend.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Yes it can not be the instant oatmeal. Old fashion is also called 3 min Oatmeal by some brands.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

okay, thanks.

Olympia, WA

Hoping to find the oatmeal in bulk foods, as I don't need a box of it!

Dahlonega, GA

It's good for you and when salted enough with butter and sugar , one of my favorites . I double the oatmeal when cooking so it will be drier . Don't like the slimy stuff .

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

We eat lots of oatmeal too. Lots of raisins, butter and plain non-fat yogurt on top. The cool, tart taste of the yogurt really complements the warm porridge.

Dahlonega, GA

I'll have to try that . The favorite is vanilla low fat from W M , just had it for lunch .Thanks

Plano, TX

i like apple crisp with ice cream

Dahlonega, GA

I like ice cream anyway I can get it . Thinking about trying it with fried eggs and bisquits

Plano, TX

ahhhhhhhhh!! love it!! too funny!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

That is really funny....Let us know how it is with fried eggs and biscuits.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

How about apple crisp with a shot of good brandy or bourbon poured on and ice cream on top? Nighty-night.

Dahlonega, GA

Mogan David wine ok ?Something sweet and thick .Or Galliano

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

We like a boxed red wine, but it's not sweet or thick, it's good for 'marinating' deserts too. Biscotti dunked in red wine is very good. uh oh.....I'm slipping OT here. Sorry. Back to apple crisp.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

No problem being OT. I wish I had the apples today to make an apple crisp. I have one from Bisquick to make Caramel Apple Rolls. If I do it I will post it if good.

Have a great day everyone.

Dahlonega, GA

We are talking about toppings for the apple crisp , so not O T .
Apple rolls sound good . I've only gained three lbs. this last month . I made sweet potato biscuits and made a custard on the bottom , biscuits on top biscuit pudding . No recipe , but sure was good and moist . I'm lucky , they always turn out larping good and my problem is , I eat them .

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I know what you mean about gaining weight. I love to eat!!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the recipe! Was wondering about the doubling time though you said: "Quote" ... what I do is pull back a little of the topping in the center of the apple crisp after 30-35 min. I stick it back in and check it every 5 min until the apples look translucent then I remove it from the oven.

About how much more time does it end up being for you when your checking it every five minutes? .. Usually 5? -10? -15 ? minutes ..

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I think it ends up being another 12 min.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.