AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8419783

Mid At's and Friends, lets chat here. Open to anything! Here's the place for daily check ins, random comments, anything at all, to help us keep TOPIC threads a little cleaner. and feel free to check out our topical threads, too.

Those are two fun pots we saw at the nursery in Frederick possibly the first Feb Seed Swap. Such fun!

I am liking todays sunshine--heard we had 2.3 inches of rain at the closest official measuring site yesterday, midday and we still had some more after that. It was pretty sloppy doing errands in that. I came home with wet shoes and socks and damp jeans- blech.

So what's new?

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8419986

Today is my every other Friday off from work. I love these Fridays - I spend time doing much needed chores and relaxing doing whatever I feel like. Just got back from a Walmart run - how does it seem possible to spend $100.00 on toilet paper, laundry detergent, and such???

I'm sitting down for a spell, and then doing more with my seeds - so many have sprouted, need to get them under the shelf lights before they get too spindly. I have about 20 more packets to sow too. I've had seed soil in a bowl in the kitchen sink for three weeks now and plant trays are spread out all over the counters. No cooking going on in this kitchen these days LOL... I think a nap is in order this afternoon too. Terri

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8420021

Hi Terri!
We enjoy that every other Friday thing here too- one of the best innovations to the professional schedule in a long time. Though I am not a professional these days- maybe a professional jack of all suburban trades...not white collar, maybe with writing for DG I am considered white bathrobe!

Tell me about that those prices! I am not a wild shopper and its hard to understand how I spend a hundred dollars at the food store, seems like every DAY! (not really) The best thing I can do about that is to know what we really NEED (Yes one son NEEDS pop tarts) and use sales to always have it on hand at the best price. I stay out of the giant box stores though- it semed that when I had TOO many of the graniola bar or whatever, they get eaten that much faster. Still, comparing prices can save me example, 50 cents on muffin mix every box which is a 20% savings over randomly buying it at the more expensive store.

I started to make a seed database t help me scan thru what needs to be planted when. Thats in progres...meanwhile I have a hundred various packets strewn on the floor here and can NOT decide on how I'd like to try and sort and organize them. Veg, flower, annual, perennial, wildflowers, spring planting, summer only, purely alpha order...AAAGGHHH! Trying to focus- if I make the database I can do alpha. How to hold them, envelopes. baggies, boxes? AAGGHH!!! ROFL

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8420088

I finally ended up sorting mine by category: Veg, Herb, Flower (annual), Flower (perennial) - and then sorting alpha order within the category. I bought one of the cheapo photo boxes and put each variety in its own long white envelope - aka, Gita's setup that she brings to the seed swaps - works well, and keeps them in one place. Then I made a spreadsheet to itemize what I had, and use that to change sorting - can sort just how I physically organized them, or can re-sort by planting time. I put notes on what date I sowed them this year, and trying to put the day I see them germinate - we'll see, I'm notorious for starting strong on organization techniques and then watching it go all to @!x% in a handbasket when my interest diverts elsewhere LOL!!!

Oh, and yes like your poptarts, I needed the Little Debbie oatmeal pies and potato chips that were on sale - universal law holds true here too that two boxes get eaten just as fast as one box, hmmmmm how interesting...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8420759

Terri, I really like the sound of your sorting! I will do it! Got the right level of complexity and use of envelopes. I didn't really want to make 26 envelopes. That idea was too much trouble for me.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8422032

Thank you all for recognizing my way of sorting seeds.
Works for me and all the swappers--I hope...

Since I use only common names--it is easier for others who, like me,
have NO idea of horticultural names. I know they have their use...
If someone has just the Horticultural names on a seed packet--I do not
really know what that plant is...

After the Swap--I took my box to work and let a few gardeners there go at it.
Most of them took the Tomato and Basil seeds.
Flowers are not everyone's bag...

Talking about frugal shopping..."Superfresh" has come out with something new...

You sign up on line at superfreshfood.com/couponsource
After registering--click to see ALL the coupons available.
On each coupon is : "Save this". If you click on it--it will say "saved".
Here's the neat thing--it automatically goes on your shoppers account
(the cards all the stores have), and when you buy any of the "saved" items--
the amount comes off automatically.
AND!!! You can still use regular grocery coupons on top of the on line discounts.

Every week--in their ad--you will see things on sale and it will also say:
"Save an additional $2 or $3".-- with a little :computer mouse next to it.

SO--You have a sale price--minus the on line coupon--minus any regular
grocery coupons you have (SF doubles those up to 99 cents besides)...

Gotta shop smart...specially like Sally--with three "starving" teenagers around.

"Aldis" is also very good! If you have one close by.

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8422084

That Superfresh thing sounds great! SF is across the street from my job, maybe I should chek that out.

Getting near time to start tomatos- what do you think Gita?

(Total change of topic- I love the Old Spice guy- with the series of funny commercials-- Walmart had a video loop of him playing on a little monitor in the store. I just stopped short when I heard that lovely bass voice say "Ladies...") So yeah that was ME giggling and blushing in the deodorant aisle.!)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8422255

Sally--

I planted all my seeds already--Friday, march4th.
All the basil is up. All the zinnias are up. Angelonias came up in 3 days!
Dill is up. Some Tomatoes and some parsley is up too.

Not going to do Daturas this year. They take up too much space and I have plenty of seeds.
Not going to do Cleomies either. They were bizarre! I am sure there will be volunteers though.

Sally--IF you do the Superfresh thing--you need to have their little card--they are free.
You know--the ones they always scan so you can have the sale prices...

OK! My goal today is to vacuum the whole downstairs.
I will have company here the week of April 5th. Four people...gotta get a few things done!

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8422364

Well I better get on my tomatoes then.

Remember my monster Sunflower last year? It grows in a south facng bed and loves the heat. The dropped seeds are already sprouting in that bed for this year. So that shows how much warmer that soil is right now.
I am also cleaning and decluttering for some crochet pals tomorrow. I bought yummy delicious tropical colored cotton yarn and will be making a summer handbag. Well also today need to go buy a few yummy delish light refreshments.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8424928

Hey Sally, I was thinking we needed a general chat thread. It's been awhile since we had one. When I was working I had 4 10hr work days a week. It wouldn't work for everyone but I really loved it. I surprised everyone when instead of taking a Friday or Monday to get a long weekend I picked Wednesday as my day off. That way I only worked 2 days in a row. Made my weeks so much easier.
I did get a few seeds planted but I have plenty more to sow. I have been potting up all the new plants lately.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8424939

Yummy cotton yarn to play with. It was pretty out today, but I stayed in (mostly) and started a handbag, just playing with basic stitches and stripes of color oughta work out.
I can see where you'd like that schedule.

Thumbnail by sallyg

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8425264

Beautiful colors combo--Sally!

Are you going to line your bag with something to keep it from stretching
way out? Muslin would be good...maybe a sturdy knit fabric?

I worked until 6PM today--so this nice weather did not give me a chance to clean up
around my garden...Not much I can do--really--except catch up on cleaning/raking
that I never go to last fall--as BAM! the cold hit!

Off tomorrow---will continue cleaning up the club room where 2 of my guests will be
sleeping in the bedroom just next to it. Bathroom is almost done!
Yesterday--I vacuumed all the spider webs and nests away. Man! They sure set up
housekeeping on the bottoms of furniture! YUK!

Tomorrow--I will deal with the endless collections on all the windowsills and shelves
and the entertainment center...Lots and lots of small things on there...hasn't been
dusted in a few years...No one goes down there--not even me. I just pass throught it
on my way to the Laundry Room or the Shop...

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8425752

(smile) Yes I will make a liner for the bag and even some custom pockets on the sides inside. Hm, sunglasses, cell phone, pens...My 'winter' handbag has a million pockets and slots, so my wallet is small now.

The good cleaning of spidery things WILL reduce them for awhile I believe, at least did for me once.

I got teacups out of my small china cabinet yesterday. Amazing that dust can eventually get inside a cabinet, slowly but surely.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8425853

Sally--My hutch is regular size and has a lot of glasses and plates and some crystal stuff
in it...Never use any of it! But--some of it is priceless--such as my
grandparents 25th wedding anniversary present--a heavy, deeply cut, crystal brandy sniffer
bottle--collared in Sterling Silver and engraved with well wishes --and 10 small crystal
shot glasses--with SS bottoms...
How my Mom had the presence of mind to take this along we fled--I do not know...
Must have meant a lot to her as well...
This supports my idea that she had already packed all things important and
necessary for life and was just awaiting the inevitable moment to "get out"...
That moment came one day when someone came and told her the last ship
was leaving in 2 hours. We either got on it--or we were doomed to stay.
I still remember the frenzied packing----

She had packed the old sewing machine--many 100% linen sheets and towels--
photos--our baby plates and SS spoons, some food etc...etc...
So much got left behind, though, for the Soviets to come in the next day and
ransack everything. Neighbors did as well...One took out Grand Piano...

Oh well--I don't want to get into this too deep...It is long past...
Lets just say--we started our lives all over when we came here...
That is why the few, special things mean so much to us.

Hey! It will be 60* by the late afternoon today...Hopefully, I will get outside to clean up a bit.
Time to prune the Roses too! Just above an outward-facing bud. Angle your cuts downward...
Allan Summers always said to Spring-fertilize your Roses--"When the Forsythias bloom"...
and--along with the first feeding--to put a hand-full of Epsom Salts around each Rose Bush.
This stimulated new canes to come from below...Always works for me!

Enjoy this beautiful day! Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8425879

It would be a good idea to print some of the background like that and tuck it in with the cyrstal etc. fro your daughters. My MIL gave me some old jewelry and I was in a pizza shop with the family and with her, writing on a napkin who the family names were and what the things were. Hope I put that napkin WITH the pieces!

Good timely rose tips!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8426208

Sally

My daughter here--Aina--took it upon herself a couple of years ago to make a memorable CD.

We all (my sisters and cousins) gathered as many pictures we could find m with most of
them coming from the ones my Mom brought along. There are some very old pictures there...
like of my Grandfather at 14. he was already dead when I was born...

Then Aina spent forever restoring many of the damages on several pictures. Dop you know
how that has to be done? You bring up the picture in some kind of Photo Shop program--
and then--pixel by pixel, try to match the colors of the damaged areas. She has the patience of a saint!

Then--all the pictures, with accompanying stories and ID's, were put on a CD.
Everyone in our whole extended family wanted a cd--and Aina charged each of them $30 for her labors.

Then--a year later--knowing that I will never do it myself--Aina copied out every picture and put it in a
beautiful album and gave it to me as a gift. Ain't she something????

Here's Aina--at X-Mas 2009, hamming it up with her only male cousin, Karlis.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8426997

What a wonderful project!!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8427158

Sally

By now I feel I need to almost have my own Thread---as I went through a million thoughts and
reminiscing about the 70' and the 80's as I cleaned and washed EVERY glass and Mug and
small shot glass and Wine glass I owned...
All the time listening to all seven LP's by Neil Diamond--tearing up on many of them...
Younger people today should hear these songs by Neil Diamond...
SO much depth in them!!!!

What a memory trip! Many of the glasses were from the many trips we had taken...
I wondered--WHY? do I need to save them...There was NO answer, of course...
Just reminiscing of what l;life was like----and what I had back "THEN"...
WHAT I missed the most--or I would not be tearing up NOW!

All the trips we took--we either brought home beer/wine/shot glasses in our suitcases...
or all the rocks we collected--of course...

I washed them all--dried them all--cleaned all the small, glass shelves, and--lovingly--
put them all back on the shelves...remembering WHERE and WHY I brought each one home...
and hoping my daughters will remember WHY they were so special--and not just take them to the GOODWILL.

Went through seven Neil Diamond LP's while working on all this (OHHH! I will NEVER give these away!!!)--
shed a few tears at all the songs---...
It was so much "Soul Work"... I need that now and then!

Need to share WHY I need all this--but, as I said--I should open a new Thread on
"Baring your Soul"...

Hmmmm...Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8427305

Dear dearGita! So glad you had the courage and time to wash off and shine up your touchstones. Each time we honor the journies of our lives, our histories, I believe our "roots" grow deeper and we stand taller and clearer. To me, the blossoming forth of soul is glorious, like the long awaited arrival of Spring

Gita, did you know that Neil Diamond is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame tonight?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8427361

AWWW, Judy!

NO! I did not know!!! Sorry if it was on TV and I missed it!!!

Thanks--You speak so deep! We could have a lot of interesting conversations...
I have a "deep" side to me as well...and a VERY emotional side as well...
I hide it well...

I LOVE! LOVE! Neil Diamond!!! What a songwriter and a singer his is!
If you have not followed up with his songs---please try to listen to my
favorite two.

--"Cantalibre"
--Morningside"-----this will make you cry! I tear up all the time when I hear it...

There are several others that just touch my Soul...
He was good at hat--writing songs that touch one's Soul...
Teared up a lot today!!! Also drank a bottle of wine doing all the cleaning and listening...
It was a GOOD day!

I have the double album of his--called "Hot August Night". It is a recording of a
live concert...SOOO amazing!

Seems Neal D. dropped out of the music scene for 7 yrs. to regroup mentally and psychologically.
In those 7 yrs. he wrote the most amazing songs--the ones we all know...

I think (??) the "Hot August Night" live Concert was his "come back" concert...
and he brought forth all these new songs...

I think ALL young people today should listen to his songs--and not be plugged into
some "Jive" stuff. There is NO meaning to today's music--with a few exceptions...
I actually like some of the later songs--(like from the 70's and 80's?)

Today--all I hear is screaming and yelling and crazy rock music...
I'll take the old time stuff any day--because I AM old time!!!!

I always tell the younger ones at work--if you cannot sing along with it--it is NOT real music!

Love you, Judy! We are kindred souls!!!!

Gita

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8427493

Gita

Do you have Neil's album the sound track for the movie Jonathan Livingston Seagull? Of his 30 or so albums this is probably the least known becauce it was not played on Popular Music stations, yet it went double platinum. Very different, but very Neil.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8428054

David--

I am not sure???? My favorite has always been the "Hot August Night" double album.

I know he wrote all thew music for the "Seagull" movie...later in life--not sure I have it.
I bet I could look in a Thrift Shop...thet havew so many records and I see all these young
people rifling through them. Hmmm??? Are the LP's coming back????
Record players seem to be...

I have so many LP's! Many of them are "other Countries" music...as I am in that category,
Mostly here--with the Estonian House and Community. My Ex is Estonian--so we all were involved...
and I have spent years and years involved in 'doings" and participating in--folk dancing for 15 years,
learning to play their 37 string "Kannel"--working Festivals, learning to "almost" speak their language, etc...

That is all gone now----divorce took away all those friends...It was hard--they all dropped off like flies...
I suppose after the great shock (my husband leaving me) none of them knew just how to process that.
So--they dropped out of my life as well.

Been on my own now for 20 years. have some new friends and involvements----just miss all of the
past ones...We were SOOO tight!

OK! Gotta go to work--and sit in my "cage"...Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8432066

By the way--the Clivia Gita gave me at Swap... Go ahead, go green with envy, after all today is the day to go green (grin)!

Thumbnail by sallyg

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8432172

BEAUTIFUL!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 17, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8432179

Thanks for starting this thread Sally. I miss all you gals and like the idea of having a place where staying on topic is not expected. Dang ya'll, that has always come very hard for me. My pea brain races a mile a minute and is two miles down the road when the introduction to a topic is still be made. hahaha

Looking forward to getting to know all of you a bit better.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8432217

WOW!!! Sally!!!! That was fast!!!!

Your Clivia is beautiful! I have 2 other bigger ones starting to bloom now as well.
The bloom stems are bending forward--desperate fir more light, I bet...
I tie them with a small, green string to the bunch of leaves around them..Works!
If only they got better light where I have them--they would bloom quicker.
They are a ways beck from my big, so-so lighted LR window.

As they start showing bloom buds emerging--I bring them up from the basement
and start watering more.
They ALL should be in some brighter light now--just don't know where I could ever put them!

I still have 3 of them down in the Shop...Five are now upstairs...Everything is so tight--
I cannot even walk around there to water things...

WHY, OHWHY do I do this to myself???????

Gita :o)

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8432236

That is a beautiful Clivia, Sally. I'll look for one even though I have NO MORE ROOM!!

Just the right temperature outside today to do some clean up. All the bushes pruned and beds raked in the front gardens. Another day for the back and sides and then the gardens away from the house. I aim to be ready to complete the planting of my seedlings and bulbs this year! (LOL with that).

While I was out there I freshened up the soil in three of my tier pots. I think I'm slightly ahead of where I was last year before I totally smashed up my wrist. It will be one year ago that I broke it, in May and that will be as good as it gets.

Still waiting for the tractor to come back and the delivery of the amended topsoil; then the fun begins.

On April 15th we'll be traveling down to Maryland to attend a "Hall of Fame" dinner for my SIL at Montgomery College. Anyone know what would be interesting to see in that area?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8432425

Is that in Montgomery County, Rockville, Silver Spring, Laurel, anything ring a bell?? Try Brookside Gardens.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8433830

I was outside yesterday for just a little while. Can't seem to get much time in the gardens always something else I need to do. My parents came yesterday for CornBeef and Cabbage after they left I did get out and clean up one of the beds. Today instead of going down to the Veggie Garden and working with Ric on the GH foundation I will be going to Josh's to help him move bedroom furniture and clean those two rooms. Last week I gave him a day stripping wallpaper. I know he will be here to help put up the GH and probably help with the pergola but right now all I want to do is work on my own stuff.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8433850

Sally, we will be in Rockville and I will look at Brookside gardens.

Holly, that greenhouse in the near future will be worth anything that you need to do for Josh, I'm sure. We don't start any really difficult projects anymore, but...a greenhouse!!!! One can dream.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8434094

Hey Roses, the National Arboretum may be in glorious bloom then, too

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8434102

Wow yeah Azaleas? I've never been in spring.
Just more of a '' hike'' from Rockville
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8434298

Grumble B*%tch Moan, I've been to Josh's and back. Went early and we got a lot done in a short time. Usually I don't mind helping him out and I know I will get a lot of help from him if I need it. I didn't mind moving the furniture I think it was the cleaning part I wasn't to crazy of doing. LOL
I am home and heading out to the Veggie garden soon. I'm going to weed the flower bed down there while Ric starts digging the footer.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8434302

Roses--

Will you be traveling down I-95? or another Route?

I am, literally, 5-7 minutes off of I-95 at Exit 67B (White marsh Blvd. Rt. #43)
It is about a mile and a half to my house.

If you want to swing by you could get a Clivia from me.
Please D-mail me if you are interested...I am off on Fridays.

Yesterday, I also did a lot of clean-up. Mostly raked all the leaves out of the beds
and from under my shrubbery in front. Got a whole big trash bag full!

Today--I may fertilize my lawn. I have a bag of "Milorganite". It is something like
28-0-4. With all the fuss lately about too much N and P in lawn fertilizers--
this is all organic and NO "P"...Here in MD it ends up in the Bay and feeds too many of
the Bay grasses...which block out the sun and do damage to the good grasses
lower down. Also affects the fishing industry.

One cannot use Milorganite on any edibles--just lawns and plants...It is said to have
traces of metals in it. It is the end product of Solid Waste management...
all the sanitary stuff, all the toilets we flush, etc...In other words--sewage...

HD carries it. it is about $12 or $13 for a 40lb. bag. It is not a powder--but tiny,
uniform black grains. Has NO odor--in case you were wondering...

Here's one link. You can Google it yourself and get more info.

http://www.milorganite.com/home/

Gita

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8434585

Gita,

We will be driven down by my SIL and I don't know what route he'll be taking or where they will want to stop according to the time and the comfort of their little boy. Thanks for your offer of the Clivia. If you can make it to my swap, you can stay overnight because of the distance that you'll be traveling.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8434852

Oh wise and wonderful Gita, Grower of extraordinary Brugmansia please bless me with your knowledge...
Ok I brought home a couple of brug cuttings from my friends house and I want to know if I can root them in water or should I use root tone and soil. They are the green tips from her growing plant not stored cuttings. Each one is about 12 inches long.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8435123

Holly---
Wise??? Wonderful???? Bless you""" What gives?????

I have found that the tip cuttings of a Brug are not the best to root...they are "green"
It may not make it...It is like a "Green" cutting vs, a somewhat "woody" cutting.
A true stem cutting will root the best and grow the best----just remember to take your cuttings
ABOVE the "Y"--or yo may not see blooms until the plant itself "Y"'s...
NO "Y"--NO blooms!!!!

I have been through all this--the water--the "bubbler" method----etc..Mine often just rotted out...

Woody--or ALL wood--works best...You could take a section of the main stem and stick it in a pot--
and it will root. Just prepare a 5" or 6" pot of fresh potting mix and stick the cutting in it--
ALL the way to the bottom. Rooting hormone helps--but I don't think is essential...
Place the pot in bright light---Keep it barely moist until you see new leaf growth.
Do the "tug test" to see if it is rooted...It will happen very fast...

As the leaves grow--they will use up more moisture--and require more watering.
Go by feel--as to when they need watering...you will know...

Holly--I cut my Brugs back every fall as i am about to bring them down to the Shop for
their winter's snooze...
At this time--I am soon going to bring them out to the "World"--very carefully!
Shade for a week first----then part sun---then brighter light----
You will be amazed how fast the recover after the winter's dormancy period!

If you have never grown Brugs before---here is my "primer" on Brug care...

I warn you--they are addictive!!! Then you start hating them for their needs and cate...

Re Brugmansias-----...
Spring and Fall and Winter care….by Gita

I plant my Brugs Pot-in-Pot...By that I mean---get a black, or other cheap, plastic, 2-3gal. pot and cut 4-5 1" holes around the lower half of the pot (for the roots to grow out of--if they need to) and then sink THIS pot 1/2-3/4's of the way into a much bigger Patio pot, or in a flower bed--leaving the rest of the smaller pot sticking out above the soil level.

This provides the Brugs with the cooler temps the roots like---keeps them from drying out as quickly--and also keeps them from blowing over in windy storms. Still--I have had even the bigger pots of Brugs blow over if they were Pot-in-Pot above ground---like on a patio. Their leaves act as parachutes...BAM! Over they go!!!!
I put 2-3 bricks on top of the pot to try to counteract this...Works sometimes???? Sometimes NOT!

When it comes time to bring your Brugs in for the Winter--lift the smaller pot out of the big pots--or the flowerbed-- YES! You will have to sever the roots that grew out those holes and trim off any remaining roots sticking out— NO HARM DONE!
Put a plastic bag around that pot for the winter--to keep the exposed roots from drying out--and haul the whole thing into your basement. Light is not necessary—but OK
if you have some. I have NO light to speak of, and they make it OK.
Unheated garages are not the greatest--unless you can run a small heater in there--just to keep the temps above freezing...Water just a tiny bit during this dormancy period.
You can also remove most of the leaves before bringing the plants in,
as they will fall off anyway. Leave the leaves on the stem-tips be!

IF your Brug has grown all wide and big during the Summer--you will have to prune it back--just try not to prune below the first "Y" of the stem...Brugs HAVE TO "Y" before they can bloom! Simple as that!
Rooting cuttings taken from above the "Y" will guarantee sooner bloom the following year. Stem cuttings taken from below the 1st "Y" root just as well--but you will now have to wait until that stem cutting grows tall and “Y"s on it's own before expecting any blooms from your new Brug. Sometimes this won't be before October.

The trimmed stems can be cut up in 6"-7" pieces and rooted--right into a 5"-6"pot of fresh soil mix. You can use Rooting Hormone on the ends if you like...
Shove the cutting all the way to the bottom of the pot. Keep it barely moist for now.

I have found that stem cuttings root so much more easily--compared to tip cuttings. In a matter of weeks--do the gentle tug test...There WILL be resistance...That means it has started to root in. Celebrate!

When new leaf-growth nubs start to appear--you will need to water a bit more regularly...Keep it just moist, though until leaves appear. Watch for wilting!
Let the plant tell you when...:o) Also a weak fertilizer might help here at this point...like--1/2 strength MG. The 7 drops to a quart kind--in the green bottle--for Houseplants...

In the SPRING--
When I bring my Brugs out from their dormancy --I keep them in shade for about a week...then in filtered light for a week--and then in the bright light they will be living in...By now--most of them are back to normal and growing already.
Usually--they don't even "blink"...just turn all green and march on...

About every 2-3 years--you will need to root-prune the root ball. Trust me--It will NOT hurt the plant!!!! Brugs are nearly indestructible!

To root-prune--pull out the Brug from the smaller pot it has been growing in--get an old, sharp, kitchen knife---and just slice away. Cut off the outer part (rind) of the root ball--maybe 1"-2". Don't be shy! It won't hurt the Brug..
Cut off the same amount from the bottom of the root ball. Doing this will be VERY invigorating to the plant!
Re-pot in the same “holey” pot--adding fresh soil mix, with maybe some Osmacote
(slow release) type of a fertilizer mixed in, and fill back around the now smaller root-ball with this soil mix –do the bottom first--- then the edges and a top-dressing as well.
Water in well.
NOW-- You are set for a whole new Season...Not so hard!!!!
***Brugmansias like a bright, sunny spot, but need a bit of protection from the searing, afternoon sun.

Hope this helps all of you “newbie” Brug-growers. These plants are tough!
Feed them weekly and keep them watered. In hot weather—every day!
Literally—sometimes 2 gallons a day! If they wilt—they will come right back.
Later in the season—yellowing leaves are of no concern. This happens….
Just remove them.
***NOTE***Brugmansias are toxic if ingested!!!! Be safe!
Wash your hands after working with them!

The only thing you will need to look out for is Mites on the leaves.
This could happen overnight. Leaves will look mottled. A sure sign you have them.
Spray the whole plant with “Neem” or other insecticide that lists Mites, especially the undersides of the leaves and the new growth. Repeat as needed—every 2 weeks.
You can also use Systemic Granules (Espoma makes it), applied to the soil and watered in, which should help. Systemics are absorbed into the plants “system”, making all the juices toxic to sucking insects. It also kills any bugs that have crawled into the soil.
I would suggest you print this out and save it...for future reference.

Gita

Even though this Brug has been all cut back in prep for taling it down to my Shop
for it's Winter's snooze--you can see what a "Y" is allabout.
See the "Y"s at the top of the stems? Your Brug will not bloom until it "Y";s...

Once it "Y"s it will keep on "Y"ing. A cutting taken from below the "Y" will have to re-grow to
the point that it will "Y"...Therefore--treunk cuttings will root OK--but you will have to wait and wait
until the new growth "Y";s before you will see any blooms...

I take all my cuttings from above the "Y"---so as soon as it is riited and under way--it will
produce bloom buds...

here is the "silliest" example of how soon a "Y"'ed cutting can bloom...

Chuckle!!!! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8435415

Thank you Gita, I only have tip cuttings so I will see how they do. I was up at my friend Jane's house helping her clean and care for her house plants. She wanted to cut back her Brug so I brought back the cuttings.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8436325

I got my four various Brugs out today from their dormant state, and watered them or repotted with more soil, and also took a few small cuttings in trimming them. Guess I'll throw them in a pot and just see what happens.

Gita will your holler when it is time to take them outside (the big ones)? This sunshine is so tempting but it IS only late march yet.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8436639

Sally--

I guess I start doing the "coming out ceremony" of my Brugs end of April sometime...
Like everything else...So--You have just over a month to go, unless you can do the
in-and-out---in--and--out thing...
Start with shade for a week--then filtered light--then wherever you plan to keep the Brugs.

I would,d suggest you root-- prune them also--like. pull them out of the pot they were in
and get an old. sharp kitchen knife and slice away the outer layer of the root ball--
1" or more is OK. as well as the same on the bottom of it.
This way you can keep them in the same sized pot as they are in now...
Then--just throw some yummy new soil at the bottom and fill in around the sides
and they are ready to go. I usually add the "Dynamite", or "Osmacote" slow-release fertilizer
to the new soil I will be adding. The slicing and dicing will not hurt the plants...amazing?
Just watch them go "POOOF!

Not sure cuttings taken at this time will root--as they have been inactive--but I have never done it.
I do my cutting back as I prepare them to be hauled inside my Shop in the fall
Less space used up--and they will drop all their leaves anyway, so why deal with the mess,
if you can cut all that off in the fall? You know this by now--ALWAYS take the cuttings above the "Y"'s...

Just as an aside---when your Clivia blooms are all done--you are supposed to cut
the bloom stalk all off--the way down--just like in the Amaryllis.

No gardening today--wanted to finish cleaning all the knick-knacks on the endless
shelves of my entertainment Center downstairs. SOOOO many little things!
It always ends up being a "trip down Memory lane" when I do this...
To keep me company--i relied on my old Pal--Neil Diamond.
I did not realize I had 13 of his LP's!!!! Geez! Some more to listen to...
Wonder how many LP's total he ever made???? NO WAY that I would have all of them...Nope!

OK! Since this is a "free-for-All" thread---I will show you pictures of all the things I have
cleaned today and some--a few days ago...Memory trip for sure!

This is the whole Entertainment Center in the club room (level 3 of my house--there are four).

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8436649

As you can see--the record player in the above is open and playing...

Now--you may want to see some of the sections closer up- Of course!!!

This is my Gnomes section. See that painted Chip Box? I used to do these and sell them
Inside--they are lined in velvet--and on the inside of the lid is a round mirror.
1980's--I believe...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8436654

Next---Assorted Latvian, hand-made ceramic things.

A popular gift to give in the 60's & 70's...We ALL have some of this stuff!
Now--What do I do with them???? Seems sort of passe...
So they sit! Too sentimental to give away...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8436658

This is just small this and that...

Seems I used to like itsy-bitsy little things to display.
Each one got wiped down...and then re-positioned...

You would think I had better things to do on a 60* day???

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8436664

My mini-mugs collection...Yawn...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8436669

More souveneers from that cross-Country trip in 1966--with my Mom
and year-and-a -half -old daughter in the back seat. And so we drove from
Baltimore to Seattle--with stops on the way...Took 2 weeks...

Mom loved traveling--baby Aina was good as gold--
We had a car with NO A/C--and the first place we hit lower than 90's temps
was when we got to Colorado!
Crossing the Rockies put a crimp in our schedule--as it was slower going than we
had planned. That day--we drove for 14 hrs. straight--as we had lodging reservations
already made across the whole Country...That was BRUTAL!

These are more purchases from the SW Indian Tribes...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8436673

The Photo Shelf---mostly of my two Daughters at different ages.

On the shelf above--is a hand-made Latvian Candelabra...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8436679

Ahem-----

Here is ME and my Hubby-to-be, Enn. We are are both age 24 or so. Only 10mos. apart.
He was stationed in Aberdeen Proving Grounds here when I met him.

I was sent to pick him up for a Volleyball Tournament...the rest is history!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8436683

Lots of stuff hangs on the walls down here----All mementos of some kind.
Also some of my paintings and other works...

Wanted to show you the two framed needle pointed Crests I did.
The top one is the Latvian one
The round one is the Estonian one.

Each was given to respective "Moms".
When they both had passed--I reclaimed these.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8436701

Turning back to the bar area---here is a glass-shelved, recessed case
holding many a treasure...Photos--Brandy server--Hand made Latvian dolls
in mini-genuine Ethnic dresses..(my Mom liked doing this kind of stuff),
and some other things...

Everything down in thei Clubroom my Ex built himself--including the Club Room
itself--the bathroom, the adjoining separate room, which now is another BR,
the stairs the floors, EVERYTHING!
I hope you can see the "loss" I feel having lost such a handyman...
Nothing gets fixed or done now...

This is a perfectly wonderful "apartment"--as it lacks nothing...

Furnished BR--private, full bath, Wet-Bar--fridge, Microwave, TV--this HUGE Club Room--
door to the yard--4 steps down--Laundry facilities...etc...
So far--I have had 5 different people living there as "Home Sharers". Very cheap rent!
I never sought them out--they just "fell" into my life because I have such a big heart
and was willing to help all of them out in time of need.
The only "price" I paid was the lack of privacy. And some fussing about
lack of "housekeeping" and cleaning...

Thanks for letting me share some of these kind of things with you all.
Sally--all b/c of this OPEN Thread you started!!! You are a DOLL!!!!

This was ONLY one room in the house!!!!! :o) There are plenty more!
ALL have to be cleaned in the next couple of weeks!!!!!
Company coming--April 6th to April 13th. Both mu Sisters (NJ and Alaska)
and a couple from NC. There is a reunion going on...
They are all staying here--so I have to clean!!! Needs doing anyway!

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8436740

OOPS!! That was the wrong recessed shelf---
This one was the shelf to the left of the fridge--where all the glasses are--
that no one uses...
Gee! There was a time of Party--Party--and Party some more...All the mugs and
beer glasses and wine glasses attest to it...
So--that is one of the shelves above. Washes every glass and shot glass
(on the oposite side--NOT shown)...

Now--here is the recessed shelf I wanted to post...

ALL those buttons at the top are evidence of my crazy , Party days...
Everywhere we went--there were buttons to commemorate the event...
It was CRAZY! I was Crazy! A real party Girl! We all were!!!

Ex: Buttons that said--"Kiss me--I am Estonian"----or--"Latvian Power"!
You can see how many there are--who remembers????

So--Here is the last picture I meant to post...

There are more walls--and window sills and shelves----IF you all want to see!

Pssst---I think I hear a unanimous "NO WAY!!!!"...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8436769

Sorry---I just have to show you a couple more pictures...

On the shelf in the above picture--bottom left--is the most amazing handiwork,
transforming a Barbie and Ken into a Latvian couple dressed in their
Ethnic dress.
They never looked this good--did they?

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8436774

These are just SOOO unusual!...and soo pretty!
These hang on the wall just above the MW in the bar area...

We bought these in "Aber???waldt" , Switzerland. ?????
(it is where they hold the Passion Play every 10 years).

They are carved from very old roots of Grape plants. Hard as rocks!
Mischievous looking--aren't they?

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8436848

Wow, what a travelogue. That was very interesting!!!
My aunts house is crammd with a fascinating array of things too. I should really find more time to visit- it is a long drive though (Cumberland MD)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 19, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8437040

Thanks Gita, that was lots of fun. You have some very interesting items. I love the faces on the grape plant wood. i also love the ethnic dressed Barbie and Ken.

I have spent part of today going through some items that I packed away a few months ago. I did a very major de-cluttering and am now going through the items I saved and am going to try and decide what to do the remainders.

I had to stop a minute ago and have a cup of cocoa and take a computer break. I need to eat dinner and then hit the sack. I didn't sleep well last night and am feeling it now.

Thanks again for the chat thread Sally.

Ruby

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8437088

Sally--

You may go there just to take photos of everything (insurance value???) and to learn the stories
behind every little trinket.
Make it a family affair--take your kids along--as they are the next generation to inherit
much of this stuff. More precious if they know the history behind it all...

It is never too early to visit with older relatives and to learn what is important to THEM--
Once you know what came from where--and WHY--it may assume a whole different meaning
to you and any other of the "next" generation.
Most things have a story behind them---No one just leaves the house in the morning and
comes back with a horde of collectibles...
It is a life's story tied to little things--that may NOT mean a whole lot to anyone else--like
the kids or Grand kids...But--it is well worth knowing what it is and where it was purchased and WHY.

Ever visit an Antiques Shop? One could just cry--as many things there were remnants of
someone's life no one else wanted...If they only knew!!!

These are the threads of life woven into a tapestry to be passed on. To keep us warm on
cold days and hard times...To reminisce...To remember...To pass on...

What is your most precious thing you own, Sally? Why does it mean so much to you?

Here is mine----(Picture at the end) A gift given to my G-Father and G-Mother in 1928.

This heavy cut Crystal Brandy bottle, with solid Sterling Silver collar inscribed:
"From the crew of "NARA" on your Silver Wedding Anniversary--1903-1928.
It comes with 10 (2 may have been lost or broken) Chrystal shot glasses with
Sterling Silver bottoms.

I was born in 1937--so this was way before my time! He died before I was ever born.
Being a Captain--he was a big drinker and partyer...I believe he died of either a massive
brain Stroke--or a brain annurism.
His wife--my "Oma" (Grandmother) came to the USA with us in 1951 and died in 1957.
I never knew my Father (he died when I was 2 1/2) nor my Grandfather... nor my Uncle...

This man--my Grandfather--was a Captain on many ships, as was his son--my uncle--
who chose not to leave his command and come with us as we left out Homeland. He just
felt his responsibility to his ship as more important...

My GF was also the harbormaster of all of Latvia. The ship "Nara" whose crew gave this
gift to him was a rescue ship. They set out to save lives on the Seas...as needed...

I remember my G-Mother telling me stories about the ship heading out to rescue
someone or other--as in the frozen winters--many sailors had many mishaps...
Some froze to the masts----some ships got ice-logged and had to have the crews rescued.
That is what he did. He was a bearded , stocky man...with a slew of medals across his chest...

He had a couple of brothers--and Uncles--all equally memorable in the history of Latvia.
One built Organs...One was a writer and a Poet...An earlier one--took years to translate
the "Odyssey" into Latvian. In the letters I translated--it wrote of how he struggled with it...

My Mother brought along some letters that were written in the old, Germanic alphabet--but in Latvian...
from one of her Father's Uncles to her father (as a young man.)
They were just copies--as the originals were donated to a Maritime Museum in Sweden
and hard to see and read...

I actually took the time to get familiar with the old writing style--and translated all these
letters into modern writing--still keeping the original context.
First in Latvian--and then further translating them in English--so our kids would understand...
None of my, or my Sister's kids speak Latvian. A sort of "dead end"...

With my daughter restoring all the ancient photos and putting them in a CD--and me translating all
these letters--I just hope someone will see them as an important link to their "roots'...

So you see--Family history is VERY important---
Someone could have, very well, throw these faded copies of letters, in a script not familiar,
into the trash...Little would they know...

Here lies the burden of kids left to deal with deceased parent's and Grandparent's
belongings and property. To many it would just be trash. IF the preceding generation
would have taken the time to put little notes on important papers and pictures--
tell stories and sit with the elderly to listen--this would not happen...

Again--this is too long a Post--but I just have to say what I need to say...
IF it makes anyone "see the light"--it will have been worth it...

Whew!!!! Gita

Here is a picture of my most precious passed down item.
Not saying I do not have other precious belongings---but this one has "strings attached"...

This message was edited Mar 19, 2011 8:10 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8437839

Wow. Just wow.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8439300

This is an "Anything goes" Thread...
SOOO--I yakked away--and shared and shared----a lot of it quite emotional.

Did I scare everyone away????? JUst share what YOU want to share!
I feel a bit guilty! I was so "consuming" of everything I wanted to tell you all...
I SOO appreciate that I can share everything here---as there really is not
else in my life that would :listen" (ahem...) like you all do.

You know how it goes---when you start--you cannot STOP!
Is that a sign of "neediness"???????

I really "need" you all! That is why I hang in at DG.

Gita

My favorite harbinger of SPRING!
Happy 1st day of Spring everyone!!!! ONLY 32* here tonight!!! Blahhh!!!
Hope all the open blooms survive!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8440034

Gita, it a whole thread open to sharing. I found your stories very interesting. So you're just as generous with personal history as you are with plants!

My parents were not that much into personal history. Especially my mom- she Never told tales from childhood. My aunt is the one who fills us in. And when Mom did talk we got two sides to the story, sometimes- some deep personal issues between the two. But still they had a sister bond, and Mom enjoyed talking to her on the phone, and Sister was supportive.

My most valuable item? Thats impossible to say. But one thing in my goodie box is my goy goy. LOL. thats my blankie from baby hood.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8440059

Gita, I too have been lurking and enjoying the stories.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8440089

Gita, you are in the right place with your input. I met you at Holly's plant swap 2 years ago, but we didn't really get a chance to chat. Now I KNOW you and enjoy catching up on all the happenings in your life, told by you so candidly.

You are also a wonderful source of information for all the plants that you've had experience with! Hope to see you in person again someday soon.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8440149

Sally--

My Mom never shared much of anything either...she was not a happy person--
but then the burden was all hers--all through the hard years...
I often asked her to talk a bit about my Dad--as I have no memory of him--
and all she would say is: "What's there to talk about?"...He died at 36, making her a widow at 33.
Her Mother ans the three of us---then we had to flee the country--and all that...
I know it wasn't easy on her...

It was my Grandmother that told me about all the ships and what her husband (the Captain) did...
I would go to her and beg her to tell me another story...
I learned a lot more about that side of the family when I was translating those letters...
Gee! They were written in the 18-hundreds! By uncle to nephew--who was my G-Father's brother...

My G-Mother???...she always wore a scarf on her head---and she was always crocheting...

Roses--thank you for your kind words...I do, kind of, remember you from Holly's...

Blah. rainy day! I have a Dr.'s appt. in 45 minutes...

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8440406

Well today is definately a Monday. Was interesting to hear thunder this morning accompanied by hail coming down loudly! Didn't last long but did leave enough to see on the ground, was melted by the time I tried to leave for work. I say 'tried' because I had a flat tire on my car (but only on one side of the tire). Luckily my son Shane doesn't work in the rain and he drove over to change it for me. He is such a good kid. I figure the day has to get better from here.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8440743

We had a big storm in the middle of the night. You could really hear the thunder booming. But it wasn't raining when I got up and still isn't though it is overcast.
I applied for a part time seasonal job with Lowes, I had an interview with HR this morning and have a second one with the Garden Dept Supervisor on Thursday. This mornings interview seemed to go very well. I was told that there are a lot of applicants so I'm not counting my chickens yet.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8440887

Holly, you would be great there, someone who actually knows something about plants and also creative in displaying them. Good luck!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8441126

Yes, good luck, Holly.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8441227

Good luck from me too! Hope they pay you enough! Times are lean!
Starting workers at my HD are lucky to get $8/hr. Some even less--as cashiers...

When you get the job--we can compare notes here...HD vs Lowes...
Just think, Holly! You will be able to get 1st dibs at all those clearanced plants!

They have me scheduled in Garden all three days this week and also next...
I guess that is IT! I was hoping for only 2 days in Garden--and then one day to
rest in the Phone Center...giving a break to my Ouchie foot and knees...
Besides--someone has to call all the customers whose Special Orders have come in.
That is just another job for the phone Operator to do...Service Desk does it too-but they
can get so insanely busy, that they do not get to it...

The inflammation in the toe joint of my right foot is not really going away.
Went to the Dr. today--he now thinks I am developing a "Hammertoe" in my
second toe. Still hurts! A bit less--but I have yet to be on it 8 hrs. a day.
He's talking about possible surgery...NOOOOOO! Not in gardening season!!!!!

We will see...we will see...Will take a couple Hydrocodone pills along in my pocket.

At work--Garden Dept. is such a LOVE/Hate relationship for me.

"LOVE"--because I love being out there and talking to customers...I can teach them so much!
"Hate" because, whether I want to or not---I will spend most of the day watering everything...
THAT is a brutal job! Dragging that heavy, 100', rubber hose around--in between tables and trees,
and shrubs...NOT fun! HOT! Getting my feet wet...as most of the hoses leak in some way...

I carry washers and a small screw driver in my apron--as they DO need fixing now and then...
Hose clamps need tightening--washers need replacing, etc...

They have hired a slew of "deer in the headlights" new people in many positions...
They may be "trainable"-----
Some of the more long-time employees don't want to do these "menial" tasks--l
ike watering and fixing hoses...They hide in the break Room...

Because I LOVE plants--I am one of the ones that does the watering...

Starting Sunday--April 17th--I will also resume my all-day Sunday Clinics in the garden dept.
Set up my table with pretty plants and hang all my signs---THAT is MY thing I do!!!
Fourth year now------The below picture is from 2008.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8441228

Best of luck, Holly! They'd be very fortunate to get you!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8444285

aack! Almost missed voting for my pics in the invasive species photo contest.
I'm kinda disappointed that there are a number of entries not accurately 'invasive species', or in the wrong category..As usual, people cannot read the rules. Somebody posted a little kid picking grandma flowers. Nothing whatsoever invasive species about it. I better go to bed I am grumpy!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 23, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8444792

Hello to all. Good reading. Gita, I find your stories very enjoyable and feel the same as yourself about relying on folks at DG to fill many of my social needs. Much of my adult life was spent in a counselor or therapist's chair. Since going online in 1998, I haven't had to rely on paying for talk therapy since. I can usually sit down here and begin writing whatever is on my mind at the time and if I have anything going on that needs resolution, I can usually see the solution appear before my very eyes as I write.

The folks at DG have played a big part in educating and befriending me since arriving here in 2006, I believe. The first year or two I went through some very tough times but was always greeted with such care and kindness here that I truly hold a special place in my heart for so many of you great folks.

I am once again looking forward to the spring plant swap and catching up with many of you again. I have reminders of many of you when either watering my houseplants, many of which came from Gita or walking in my garden and seeing different plants that have come from others of you.

I hope that everyone is having a great week.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8445425

We interrupt this message to say-
I WON I WON I WON I WON !!!!!!! Second place in some category of the Invasive Species Photo COntest- two free months added to my subscription and of course endless admiration!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have to get ready for work and don't have time til later to find out WHICH picture I won with , I entered a few
8 ^)))
big grins
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8445502

WOOHOO!!!!! Congrats, Sally
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8445527

Yeah Sally, Can't wait to see the pictures. How great!!!!

Second interview went very well. They are doing a background check which shouldn't be any problem and then I will need a drug test also not a problem and then I will get a job offer.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8445547

Good for you, Holly. I am dying laughing cuz I read your post as "then I will need a dung test'... I did a quick double-take and died laughing.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8445554

Well they are going to want a sample of something...LOL
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8445571

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8445692

Congratulations Sally! You would have loved the Doug Tallamy talk that greenthumb, ecnalg, and I went to last night - Bringing Nature Home; natives, invasives, etc... Gita and Ruby, I feel the same way you do about DG filling a social need - I was going thru an extremely rough time when I joined in 2008 and lurking and/or talking to people with similar interests helped fill the void I was feeling. Holly, good news on the job front - from experience, the best advice I can give on the drug test is learn how to hold the cup so that you don't pee on your hand - been there done that, Eewww HA HA HA.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8445773

I agree I have made some wonderful friends here at DG.
LOL Teri, Yes been there done that. Eewww.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8445886

Holly---

I KNOW you will get the job! You have so much gardening expertise!
Make sure you point that out to them--so they will not just delegate you to watering plants,,,
The most un-favorite thing to do in garden centers...Wet shoes, wet socks, wet pants...
Maybe you need to get some kind of waterproof boots or gardening shoes.

If I were you--I would aim high asking for a salary. Woo them with your experience and knowledge--
then--if it comes to be--ask for at least $10hr. pay. All they can say is "NO"!
If you aim too low--they will gladly give it to you...
You can lie--and say HD was willing to pay it to you---(NOT!)--but they won't know...

I think HD starts cashiers now at $7.75-$8/hr. A shame!!!! Don't get trapped into it!
They have gotten cheap--as the Economy is a big crunch!
They may also have rreaal limitations on what they CAN pay you--but--aim high and see
what happens...

Several years ago--Lowes BLATANTLY came to out HD and tried to hire people away from us...
by offering them $2 more an hour...
So rude!...Of course, when they had to cut personnel, guess who got canned first?

Is there any reason you applied to Lowes rather than a Home Depot????

I think both have some positives and negatives...

Go for it, Girl!!! Head high, assertive...tell them what YOU can do for THEM!!!!

Whew!!! as I write this it is thundering and lightning out there--and it is pouring rain---again!!!
Tired of rain! Man! it is even noisy--how it is pouring down...like a real storm!!!
Now I hear hale!!!!! Must go look!!!! ...
Nope! Just really heavy rain and non-stop

Bahhhh...Wahhh...I want dry and warm for a bit!!!!

Gita floating down de-Nile...
thunder!!!

rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 23, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8445900

Congrats to Sally and Holly too. Some years back I was thinking of what my ideal job would be. I decided that I could be a plant waterer and never grow tired of it. Watering the plants here at home always allows me time to slow down and think clearly. I find it very relaxing and enjoyable. Now...the water hose has to be in good condition and no other unforeseen types of disasters are allowed to enter in to the scene either. I would be a very happy camper spending my days watering.

I spent several hours working on my houseplants today. For most of the winter my plants have been sharing a room with boxes and bins full of de-cluttering types of things. I didn't have adequate space to move around easily until I packed away some of it in the closet over the weekend. Today I was able to walk around without boxes being in my way, so it was quite enjoyable.

I also fixed a great dinner which I just tasted a bit of. After finishing this post I will sit down and eat properly. I prepared stuffed peppers, baked potatoes and a corn pudding. It is going to be yummy. So, my mouth is watering and so I shall bid you all adieu.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 23, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8445908

We cross posted Gita. You just pointed out some of the down falls to my ideal job. hahaha So funny that different folks tend to like different things. My only problem with ever working retail is that I am sure I would spend my whole pay check wherever I was working before bringing any of it home. I wouldn't do well any place that sold jewelry or sweet things to eat.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8445938

Ruby---

Picture the WHOLE Outdoor Garden of a HD or a Lowes...
Everything!!!! All the tables and racks and stuff outside the gate, etc...

It is a brutal job watering all that--it may take you all 8hrs, of your day.
besides--the hoses leak--your shoes get wet---Customers interrupt you--and you
HAVE TO tend to whatever they want--then return to watering...

If you do not get it all done in one day--you have to make a mental note of what you DID--
and where you stopped...

The hoses we have are the 1" red, rubber ones--and they are kept rolled up on these reels
high up above. They are 50'-100' long and heavy...They kink--they twist--they knot--
and you have to undo all that to keep watering...

At our HD--there are three reels up above. You have to pull the hose down like
"there was no tomorrow"---hand over hand--till it is all pulled down. Then you have to
yank it over and over till it catches the ratchet and stops...Now you can drag it all through,
and around all the trees and shrubbery and tables watering...till it reaches no more...

Then you have to wind it back up on the reel above--guiding it with your hands so it goes fairly evenly...

Now you go to the next reel--and pull it down so you can reach the other part of the yard...
Over and over--etc...etc...etc...FUN????? Peaceful?????? NOPE! Exhausting!
Does NOT compare to you watering all your own Garden...

Outside the gates--there are two similarly long hoses on a stupid hose reel that sits on the ground...
Puling these loose works haphazardly. Sometimes--it gets stuck--the whole reel moves, not just the hose,
you have to stretch it out and water all the tables outside in the front.
Then--the hardest of all jobs--you have to rewind it on that same stupid reel, with only your foot
holding it in place----watching that it does not kink as you do this...
THEN--when you are done--you have to walk back to the original outlet--and turn it off...

Walk---walk---pulll---pulll--water--water---sweat--sweat-----all the time telling yourself that
you actually LOVE working in garden!!!!

OK! Enough negatives! Ruby--you would never make it!

Big Box Stores are HARD work!!!! Gita

In the heat of the summer--like last year--this has to be done almost every day--perhaps,
every other day...UGH!
Sadly--Often MY job to do this!!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8445943

Thanks Gita, I think I did a pretty good job of selling myself.
Ruby have a nice diner.

Gita, No real reason that I picked Lowes instead of HD. I guess that the workers at the store always seem so pleasant. I know that is part of the training but I always like shopping there.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2011 8:05 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8445946

Holly----

I have NO doubts whatsoever that you did!!!!!

Just hope they pay you what you are worth...

G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8446119

Ruby what a good menu. I think I'll copy you one night soon!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8450954

There is an article today for the Invasives photo contest. You can see my picture! Special thanks to my pup for hitting the right pose, I really liked the scene.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8450958

Thanks for the heads up, heading over there now. Oh BTW the strawberries came yesterday.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8450981

Great picture,
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 26, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8451133

I think you pretty much talked me out of taking on watering plants as a job Gita. hahaha Yeah, maybe I can find a rich neighbor with a medium size garden to work on. NOT...the heat last summer prevented me from doing what I loved most even here at home. I am hoping the temperatures are not a repeat of last yeat. It was truly horrible.

I will try to find the photo contest Sally and take a look see. The dinner was yummy though John just had to add a comment about his mother's peppers being more tender. He has caused me to go on cooking strike on more than one occasion when he make little comments that tend to irk me. hahaha I love him but he does have a bad habit of critiquing the food too often.

Holly, I hope that things work out well job wise for you. You will do a great job.

Hope that everyone is enjoying their day today. Are you all supposed to have the snow they are calling for here? Forecasting up to five inches.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8451140

Critiquing the cook is NOT a good way to get fed regularly! I like stuffed peppers but have not settled on a recipe that I like myself when I make them. Self evaluation is acceptable.

Today--so far--here-- is prettier than I expected. I better get out there and do something while the sun shines. Tall Sedums are sprouting and it time to free them from too much dead material.
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8451216

COOL, Sally - will go over & check out the article and your photo!

Ruby, I absolutely agree with Sally, critiquing the cook is not a good move. That's a very bad habit, unless he's willing to take over the job! ;-> Self-evaluation is always acceptable, since you're doing the work. I'm at our place just down the road from you this weekend, so yes, we're "waiting" for the snow too - seems odd, with the sun shining brightly (but there are clouds around), and the temperature hovering around 45 as I type. I think up in Northern VA they're talking maybe an inch. Oh well, (she says hopefully) at least whatever falls won't hang around forever!)

Holly, as I've said more than once, Lowe's will be VERY fortunate to have you working in their garden center. Hope you can also get some great deals on plants & equipment while you work there?
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8451262

Sally, congratulations on your photo for the Invasive Species contest - it's a great shot, wonderful color & composition, and it certainly does the job of telling the story with not one word necessary!

I'm certainly familiar with honeysuckle and battle it here every year, but the name Asian tear thumb was new to me, and I'm not sure I've seen that vine around. I've done my research now and will be on the lookout for that one too. "Mile a minute vine"... YIKES!

Congrats again! Barb
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8451267

Should start sometime next week as soon as the drug test comes back they will bring me in for orientation and start my training. I was pleased with the $$ they offered and an looking forward to starting. The garden manger told me the best deals will be getting first look at the reduced price plants. Know it will be a change for me and the family as well. COM Call On Mom will be reduced but I know Ric will pick up the slack as he always does.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8451479

Anything above minimum wage is lucky I'd think. it'll certainly be a change of pace and interesting new setting, at least as long as it takes to pay for your dive!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8451702

Holly! Great news!! I hope you enjoy it!
Will you be full time or part time?

With all the know-nothings they hire in the Spring for the garden season--
you will shine!
I am making a prediction...UMMMMMMMMM...You will be garden Supervisor
in no time flat!

Sally!
I too loved your picture----such a "forlorn" image...nothing green--a bit cloudy...
a black dog going nowhere...and that ugly heap of dead Honeysuckle----
Great--Great shot!!!!

What was the prize--if any?

So far--such a beautiful day today. Sunny and not too cold...

I fertilized all my Roses with Espoma's "Rose Tone"---handfulls of
coffee grinds---and same of Epsom salts. The ES gets applied ONLY with the first feeding.
It (supposedly) encourages new basal shoots to grow.
This too is old, Allan Summers advice...He sure knows a lot...

I know he still has that Radio Program on WCBM #680 AM. 7AM-8AM.
BUT! I am NOT getting up at 7AM to listen to it!!!! I should...just to see
IF he has changed anything he used to preach earlier...Times change!

Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8451894

LOL Gita, Yes, I will get a 10% discount. I got a call late this afternoon, starting Monday. Part time no thanks supervior jobs are too much like working for me. LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8452028

Congratulations------May you NOT be disillusioned by working for a "Big Box" Store...

It may prove to be true...BUT--There are benefits to be had...It is all up to how you see it.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how things go!

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8452358

Yay Holly!

Thanks Gita- I was pleased with my pic and tickled to see a dmail that said You are a winner! I got a free two month extension on my subscription. Woo hoo. Now I can call myself an award winning nature photographer!

This message was edited Mar 26, 2011 9:25 PM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 27, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8453090

You gals are so much fun. I love reading about what everyone has going on.

Sally, the trick to tasty stuffed peppers is to use lots of ketchup with the ground beef mixture. My older son said he made them last weekend and they tasted bland. The ketchup gives a bit of pep to the meat it seems to me. I also spread a layer of ketchup on top of each pepper to be baked. I used basically the same ingredients I use for a meat loaf and add a can of whole kernal corn to the pepper mixture. Ground beef, lots of ketchup, chopped onion to taste, salt and pepper, at least two eggs and can of corn. I have been known to use rice instead of corn.

We grew very few green peppers in the garden last year but I found some monster size green peppers on sale at a local grocer last summer and bought what seemed to be at least a bushel of them. I froze some chopped to add to sauces and froze the half peppers to use for stuffed peppers. I hope to find the same deal this year and stock up again.

I can tell you that the potatoes John grew are some of the very tastiest I have ever eaten. We still have many of them even though most are beginning to sprout very long eyes which I pluck off and we eat anyway. I believe he can grow at least one less row of potatoes this year.

I hoe that you gals will all have a wonderful week coming up. I hope that you will enjoy your time at Lowe's Holly, let us know how it goes.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8453312

Thanks Ruby! I'll do that ketchup. I also bought extra peppers last summer while cheaper and froze them for my sausage and peppers pasta sauce. YUM
I am planting a small crop of potatos again this year. Just so easy, and those baby potatos call out from their baskets at the co op--"Plant me!!!!"

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8454726

Ruby - I made stuffed peppers recently and mine were not as tender as we would have liked. DW Pat makes more tender ones - she boils the peppers before she fills and bakes them.
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8454759

Ruby, thanks for the recipe info! It sounds delicious. DH doesn't like peppers at all, but when he's not around, I enjoy them! ;-) What sort of potatoes did John grow?

Holly, good luck on your first day tomorrow - we will be thinking of you and hope it goes well.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8455287

I had heard a recipe that called for rice in the pepper filling--said to cook the rice and the peppers together first. Or maybe to blanch the peppers and use that water for the rice. then the peppers get soft and the rice gets a bit of extra flavor. My kids eat the filling and leave the pepper part, and I eat them all. the mom/scavenger thing!

Holly will have an interesting day and make lots of new friends (she such a sweetie) and come home tired from all the new things!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8455673

On the news this am
32nd anniversary of Three Mile Island and

Japanese radiation detected in Maryland, Pennsylvania and Mass.

Any one taking any precautions like covering garden areas/soil? My drinking water comes from an open reservoir but I don't think radionucleides are screened for or processed out.

Evidentally the lab in southern Maryland is one of only ten nation wide that has the capabilty of testing radiation levels in food and milk.

Unlike the typical Japanese diiet, the typical US diet leaves most Americans well below an adequate intake of iodine leaving room for the uptake of radioactive iodine to concentrate in our thyroids

Anyone else researching this or rethinking planting/ gardenproduce this year?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8455752

I'm not very worried about it, yet. But that said I live just over the 5 mile zone from TMI. I lived here back then my oldest was 8 and the twins 3. We were outside for hours not knowing anything was going on at the time. It was a beautiful day. One of the neighbors saw us and yelled for us to "Get in the house". Couldn't figure out what was going on until I came in and turned on the TV.
Not much of an exciting day just sitting in the personnel office filling out paper work. Wednesday will be training day and Thurs I will shadow someone from the garden dept. That's when the fun will start. Not sure any of my $$ will make it home, They have landscaping timbers on sale right now and I came home and talked to Ric about picking up 30 of them. I think that should cancel out todays pay. LOL
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8456265

We knew it would, Holly. :))))) Let the fun begin. Happy for you.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8456304

Hi everyone, thought I'd come here to vent and chat. Some of you from another thread read that I was having a neighbor's dog problem. Coming into my yard to use it as his rest room. This is a big dog with mushy mess. (not to graphic, I hope).
Well this morning he picked up a bag from the neighbor's trash, walked up our side walk came into my yard and proceeded to bury it in my flower bed. I went out in the cold and yelled at him but he ignored me, I picked up some small slabs of wood on the deck and tried to hit him, bad aim. Then I spotted a Cool Whip container with a chunk of ice in it and threw that, the container hit the drive way and the ice block jumped out and landed near him, that got his attention.
This afternoon I paid a visit to the neighbor. Told her what had happen and that I have spent years working on my beds and do not want them dug up. I also explained that I am going through very aggressive chemo treatments and can not eat raw salads from the grocery as if they have any fecal matter that would make me very ill, so I have to grow my own raw vegetables to eat. So with her dog using my vegetable garden for a toilet is not good for me. Beside my husband stepping in piles when he mows the lawn.
I explained that I am a dog lover, and have has success training my dogs to stay in their yard by walking them on a leash around the property line, and saying No and a tug on the leash when they cross the line.
I thanked her, petted the dog and told him I knew he will learn fast, wished her a good day and left.
Hopefully that will solve the problem. Time will tell.

Sallyg and Holly, congratulations on your good news. I'll have to check out the pictures. Holly, how much fun you will have in the garden dept. I think that will be a perfect summer job for you. Just make sure it stays enjoyable.
Hard to keep up with all the news here. I'll have to stop in more often. Need to catch up with Ruby and John.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8456406

Ladyg, it is very hard not to go ballistic in the face of such rudeness. I am sure (hoping) your neighbor thinks about the talk and realizes how insensitive she's been, and makes some real changes. She owes you a big apology, which might have been hard for her to realize at the time but oughta be coming now, if she's at all decent.

Holly--ROFL, Lowe's was smart when they hired you to 'sell' in the garden dept! A steady new customer!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8456554

Holly--

I had a mental chuckle when you said they will have you "shadowing" someone
in the garden dept...WHO will teach who?????

All you really need to learn and absorb are all the Company policies--ways of doing
things---returns and damaged goods policies...etc...
Not your call anyway! That is what ASM's (Assistant Managers) are for!
JUST PLAY DUMB UNTIL YOU KNOW BETTER...

One of the hardest things to stomach in these BIG retail garden places is the
way all things get jammed together--and no one cares. They come in jammed---
they are displayed jammed--just the way of Big Box Stores,,,Plants are piddly
when it comes to total $$$$$ made in any one day.

Just close your eyes and do your job. You cannot allow your feelings to take over...

Dying to hear all about your first few days! It will hurt! That's for sure!
Physically and emotionally...

Take care! Gita

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8456630

Just got my computer back from the geeks and it runs like the wind!! We all knew you'd get the job, Holly. Now you'll have a bunch of new stories to tell us about your daily happenings, which we will be anxiously waiting to hear.

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8456661

Gita, it is so nice to see you putting some perspective on how these Big Box stores work. Having never worked in one it sure is interesting for me to read what you have to say.
I am very particular shopping for plants, even in nurseries, crowding and white flies are what I always check for. I not only look at the plant from above, I lift it up to eye level and inspect the stems. Sometimes I am lucky to find two plants growing in one pot that I can divide.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8456996

When I had my interview with the garden manager. He said that it is different than working in a nursery where you care for plants that you are growing and keep for a while. He said that these plants are suppose to move in and move out fast.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8457225

I was out this afternoon, It was only about 46* out there but sunny and I was working in a sheltered spot. Really I feel like I have a war to fight and I might not win it. It's my own fault as I chose this war knowing that it would be a hard one to win. Have any of you ever started a war with a quince bush? LOL Well I let it take on territory for 30 years and last year I tried to take that territory back. It's putting up a good fight to try and reclaim that space. Putting up suckers everywhere it can. Right now all I am doing is cutting them off right below ground level with my hand clippers. I don't want to spray them as I'm not sure the weed killer wouldn't hurt the main bush. Since I put in a nice shade bed around the quince I can't just dig them up unless I try to be very careful and I swear they go down into the dirt forever a hand trowel isn't going to do too much damage.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8457455

HollyAnnS wrote:When I had my interview with the garden manager. He said that it is different than working in a nursery where you care for plants that you are growing and keep for a while. He said that these plants are suppose to move in and move out fast.

lol Holly, that is such an understatement!

Hopefully, the plants shipped in will sell before they need water or shade, or sun or spent blossoms removed or much of anything. Is there a merchandising company that works in your Lowes?

I worked as a merchandiser in HDs, Lowes, Sams, Walmart and KMart all high volume stores because I felt that "someone should be able to keep these plants alive" and I did my utmost (kinda like your wrestling with that quince bush) everyday.

My observations form years doing this is that watering,lack there of and improper watering was major factor in big box plant demise. Hopefully your manager understands how to work with perisable goods as opposed to hardware and lumber! Anyway, congratulations!

Chris, Gita and I held forth on a thread last year on big box garden centers...if I find the link I'll pass it on.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8457471

I went to my Lowes today- I could not resist the 20$ plum tree (also peaches and apples and pears) It was the Santa Rosa I wanted, and Miller's mail order charges 22 for that tree , bare root, plus shipping! This one will need pruning, maybe they are cheap because they haven't been trained well, but since it had only been in the store a short time I felt I better snatch it form their grasp!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8457686

I always look at Walmart and HD for plants that have just arrived by the truckload. Not much variety in selection, but you can't beat the price compared to the same plant at the local nurseries. A week ago I found phlox divaricata 'Blue Moon' - $4.00 at Walmart vs $8.00 - $11.00 at the nurseries.

I spent the weekend in upstate NY in a little Adirondack Mountain town near Lake George to celebrate my husband's grandmother's 100th birthday. There are 5 generations now, and I read in the newspaper article that she has 82 direct descendants. It was a wonderful party, and Mabel looks great. She still lives in her house with a daughter and son-in-law to help out. She continues to host the traditional Sunday afternoon dinner every week, and with most of the family still in the area, it is largely attended. She had 8 children - 2 sons have predeceased her, but the remaining 3 sons and 3 daughters are all within 5 miles of each other. When we visit, it is the place to go to catch up with the relatives all at once - wonderful homestyle food too LOL! One of the things she is proud of is that she knows everyone's birthdays and anniversaries, and always sends cards (to include spouses and step children) - in all these years, she has never missed. I love the lifestyle there. It is so extended family oriented and such a slower pace than my lifestyle with daily commutes to Washington DC. The area is beautiful - Hudson River and Adirondack Mountains with spruce, hemlock, and white birch - the only drawback is the long cold winters. They still had more than a foot of snow. Anyway, I really enjoyed the weekend!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8457747

Sounds like a wonderful weekend.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8457788

I had relatives that lived in that area. It was special to visit them often, even in winter, when we would ski and travel on the snow mobiles. Most of them are gone now, but they've left us with great memories of a beautiful place.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8457871

Oh, I'm sure you had a great time. We love the Adiondacks and always had a desire to get a place up there. We should have done it 30 years ago, since we can't touch it now - pricewise. Large families are wonderful. Sounds like she is well-loved.

I'd want to visit Holly's Lowes if only it were closer. I agree that you need to get plants soon after a shipment or rescue one on clearance. I know some don't even clearance them.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8458026

Holly, I have a quince, it is in the lawn area where hubby just mows under it and cuts down the suckers. Looks like you are destine to continue what you are doing, hand cutting. I wonder if sinking a sharp bladed shovel a few feet around the circumference would help to at least slow the suckers down?
Sallyg, Nice purchase, you can train that tree, you go girl LOL
C.Hurray for your DH grandmother, she sounds like an amazing Lady. I bet she has loads of interesting stories to tell.
A.If you can find that link, it should be an interesting read. Thank you.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 29, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8458072

Great reading this morning. So nice to see some new folks and especially good to see Chris. Smooches and big hugs to you lady. So sorry to hear about the neighbor dog. If the owner doesn't do something to change the situation, she should be punished somehow. Dang!!! You stated everything matter of factly and I am sure the lady never thought about the issues you brought up such as the chemo requiring you to eat "clean" veggies and such. I hadn't ever thought of it. Thanks for educating me, I will try to do better on my part as far as being sensitive to others.

Cole, how scary that Japan's radiation has been found too close to home. Yikes!!! No, until reading this hadn't given any thought to how we might prevent exposure if it is found here. As far as I know, John will do another vegetable garden this year. It thrills me to eat food that I didn't have to pay the grocer for.

Teri, the trip north sounds wonderful. Describing the Sunday dinners that are still done there, really took me back to some childhood times when Sunday dinner was something special. Golly, those days seem to be gone forever for most of us.

All others, enjoyed hearing what you have going on. Battle on Holly...a winner never gives up. You can do it with that bush, I know you can.

Thanks for writing everyone.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8458142

Chris, here is the link to Gita and I holding forth on big box plants...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1109668/

We start about July 11th.

Yikes we had a lot to "say" Enjoy
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 29, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8458230

I am gonna check it out Cole, thanks. I had been watching it but no activity has it not showing on my main page. Worth a re-read I would say.

Ruby
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8458387

I have not seen the dog, Bud, this morning. He really is a sweet dog, mild mannered and gentle. It's the owners that have this "I don't care attitude, it's a dog, feed it, leave it out, let it do what it wants." We shall see what happens over time, I told Paul, I did my thing, it's his turn next.
Thanks Cole, I'll check it out later today. I may have read it back then, but my interest is peeked.
Ruby, do you still have your goats? Would like to hear about them. I like to pop in to the poultry thread and check out the pictures. Living in town we can't have chickens, but it always thought it would be neat to have some for eggs and as pets.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8458709

Hoping that Bud learns his boundaries well and won't be problem anymore, LG.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 30, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8461333

Hi Chris - Oh yeah, we still have Homer and Jethro. We have now had them for two years. Betwwen John cutting down pine trees for them to eat and them being lovers of all sorts of briars and other un-appetizing things that grow in fields, they are doing a nice job in clearing the front part of our property. Even though they are no longer cute babies, they still put on shows that are quite amusing. John is forever telling me to come to the front window and see what they are doing.

Speaking of chickens and eggs. John has been getting eggs from a lady at our Pharmacy whose hens are laying gigantic size eggs. The ones he brought home yesterday were straining an extra large egg carton. Man, what a difference in the size of these and what our grocery store sells as large eggs. Some months back when using eggs for baking, the supposedly extra large eggs from the grocer were not much bigger than a ping pong ball. I was amazed that they could pass inspection to be rated as large, because that isn't exactly how I would describe them.

Anyway, really great to hear from you Chris. I spend most of my Dave's time on The Clean and Clutter Free forum and on occasion will check out what is going on in the Mid Atlantic Gardeners forum.

I was keeping up with your thread for a while but haven't been there for quite a while now. It sounds as though you are doing pretty well, if only Bud's parents will respect your plea to them. Keep us updated.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8471441

Posted the below in the :"No Chat" bird Forum.

Copy/pasting it here...don't want to get anyone's feathers (teee...heee...) ruffled!

Lady and Judy---

I am almost "oblivious" at this time of night today---as I have been up since 3:30AM...
Woke up too early and could not get back to peaceful sleep---just "in limbo"...

I was scheduled today to be at work at 6AM--GUESS WHY????
TO WATER--OF COURSE!!!...I said to someone--"If you give me a flashlight--
then I will be able to see just what needs watering!!!! Ridiculous---but, this IS
the HD way! They have a time template to work with--and they need to comply.

These early watering hours are based on the summer schedule. NOT NOW!
In the Summer--you can be out there by 5AM--and it is cool and beautiful and
a lovely time to water everything...before the customers come marching in.

NOT NOW!!!! It is barely above freezing out there this time of year!!!
We have also had some sporadic rains--so, anything exposed--is quite OK.

Judy! The link you found on our earlier discussions re HD and other "Big Box" stores---
I copied it all out and put it in my Manager's bin. NOT sure what he will think of it!!!!
I just wanted him to see what anyone outside the "BIG BOX" thinks about the way
things are run and the insights THEY will never know about.

I don't care--as I think he really needs some wake-up calls!!!!

I am SOOOO fading right now!!!! Will pass out as soon as I lay down--IF I can shut off
my forever dialoguing mind...

Gita

edited to say I am sorry--once again--as I SOOO digressed from the Topic.
My brain just follows it's own path...Sorry!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8476917

I need some ideas really quick...

My daughter works at IKEA here. They have a "roof-top" deck off of the restaurant
where people can go outside and sit and eat...This is in FULL SUN--and, probably,
quite hot--being roof-top...

My daughter called tonight asking for ideas...I will check at my HD next time I work---
This would be a nice SALE--with the soils and slow-release Fertilizer, and the
"Moisture Crystals", etc...I need to see if HD has anything suitable...

They have 6 lg. planters--about16"-17' size--and they want to plant something in there
that will:
--Live in full sun and heat
--Survive some neglect (irregular watering)
--stay green but compact --year round (Perennial)
--Flowering is not important--but--OK...
--Has to be "bushy/full" looking to balance the looks in the lg. pot
--has to be kid-friendly..like..NO thorns or stickers..

I looked through some Books--and the best I could find was a "Emerald Gold (or Cushion) Euonymus."
This seems to fit all the "requirements"...

Can anyone think of another one? I am in Baltimore, MD. Zone 7a.

Need this info ASAP--as they want to know by next Wednesday (4/13)...

Thank you for any ideas... Gita

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8476961

How about dwarf Alberta spruce? They are often used on rooftop patios and in sidewalk pots. Evergreen, drouight tolerant, slow growing...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8477049

David--

I thought of that--BUT...
They are so probe to Spider Mites...There will be NO garden knowledgeable people there...
They DO need a bit of attention...

Besides--Alberta Spruces are not exactly full and bushy... (my daughter's request)...

Thanks for your suggestion, though...We DO have them at the HD...

How are all your seeds growing?????

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8477513

Euonymus is tough.

It has to be a bush/ shrub to be green year round.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8480856

Do they have a dwarf gold thread cypress? They are pretty and have some color to them. Not sure if they have a variety that is small enough.
Any one tell me the name of the small blue flowers that come up this time of year. They are a very small bulb. I always want to call them Star of Bethlehem they look like those but they are blue not white.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8481041

scilla, is that the blue flower ? Holly
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8481154

There's Scilla as well as Chiondoxa Glory of the Snow. I saw carpets of the two mixed together at Winterthur on Wednesday. GORGEOUS!!!!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8481183

Chiondoxa, Thanks Jan, I was thinking of them but couldn't remember the name.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8481476

Love that unforgetable blue! Ah Spring! The forsythia seems to be blooming longer this year without the quick move to hot weather.

Gita, have been considering your plantersat Ikea challenge. My idea would be to go with "intermittant or lack of care and water" as prime criterion for plant selection. So, Im going to suggest 'color guard' or 'golden sword' yucca in very well drained soil, mulched with stonesup to rim of planter and interplanted with a mix of colorful, contrasting sedums as fill. Remember that your garden center manager can "special order" plants from some suppliers..at least the ones at Lowes could customize their orders.

Here's a link to an article in Fine Gardening that shows a container with yucca in each of four seasons http://www.finegardening.com/plants/articles/10-plants-for-year-round-containers.aspx

Good luck. Judy
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8481514

Yes, Thank you Glory of the Snow. I don't know why I can never remember that. My daughter has some growing in her pachysandra bed. They look great right now all those little blue flowers coming up thru and right now the pachysandra is blooming white flowers and the blue mixed thru it is so pretty. Too bad I didn't have my camera with me when I was up there last night.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8483152

Judy--

I looked at your link...IF I were the caretaker (I am not!)--I would go for a combo +
green and flowering something potted look.
Unfortunately--this is a busy retail store--and i doubt, if anyone there would have the time to attend to the well beeing of these potted plants out on the lunch deck--on top of the roof...

I also need to suggest some plants that are easily available--at either HD of Lowes...
They need the final suggestion by Wednesday!!! 3 days away...

I will, most likely, go with the Golden Euonymus...the dwarf, golden ones...
I know we have them in stock...They are sturdy and low care...Just hope no scale gets them...

Thanks! I appreciate all your help!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8498723

SOOO????
Has all the chatting died off here????? No posts since April 9th!

I'll just pretend I am talking to myself...

My week-long company is gone--as of Monday and Wednesday...
I have my house back all to myself...WHEW!!!!!

Yesterday (Thursday)--I did 3 loads of laundry--mostly all the bedding...
Three different beds---all striped...also a load of dishes...
Five people can use up a lot odf mugs (for coffee) and plated for food!

I also transplanted almost all my seedlings into small pots for longevity--or to pass on...
All my Basil and my Daturas--and my Angelonias--and my Tomatoes...
The first batch of my Tomato seedlings are huge! About 10" tall now...

It was a beautiful, warm day--and I sat outside and did it all...
NOW!!! WHERE do I keep these all???? As the weather is still so-so????

Today--Friday--I mowed my lawn for the 1st time----It was so thick in places my
Mower stalled on me...The grass seed from last year was about 12" tall.

I had also fertilized my lawn a few weeks ago with "Melorganite" --b/c that is what I had
in my shed...Must have worked!!!!!

Even if spring is NOT quite here yet--the spring chores are!!!

Gita

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2011
4:12 AM

Post #8499265

Hey Gita, I have been thinking about you at work yesterday when I was watering plants I was thinking if Gita was here she could give me all the good tips on how to water these just right. So hard to tell if you are getting all the pots when they are packed together so tight. I get different instructions from different people. One trainer told me I had too much water on the ground and I was watering the pots too long and then she turned around a half hour later and told me she kind of gives all the plants a bit of a rain shower when she was done. Really I don't think the Roses would enjoy getting showered and how much water do you think that would put on the ground? I told her that the plants were bone dry when they came off the truck and the first watering just went right thru and that was where all the water came from. Another trainer told me no don't worry about water on the ground you will have that and there isn't much you can do. I will say that the other new employee made my mess look pretty good. Man did she have a big mess, I swear she must have had half the dirt wash out of the pots she was watering.
Not too sure I love working, really miss all my freedom, but I really like the job. The other employees are all pretty nice and they seem very pleased with me. The store got 2 calls about me being nice and helpful. Turns out that the seasonal employee that I replaced was named Holly, too. She is a bit older than me and would come back every spring but had shoulder surgery this year and didn't return. She stopped my the store to say hi to everyone and got a kick out the the info that Holly has replaced Holly this year. LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8499608

Holly---

I see you are getting "your feet wet" in your new job. Better buy a good pait of "Sloggers"
or some other waterproof boot! Wet feet are no fun! SO! Tennis shoes are out!
I keep a pair of extra, dry socks and I change back to regular shoes after watering..

Too much water on the floor???? You are talking about outside garden? Yes?
That is par for the course! You cannot help it! You just go ahead and never mind what some
of the "trainers" say. I bet you know more than they do!
Proper watering waters the SOIL--NOT the leaves--as that can start fungus.
You need to bury the watering wand's head into the plant to get to the soil.

When I have to water tightly packed plants-I just go row-by-row looking for tops of the plants
and hoping I hit the pots.
On the average--I keep my wand over the pot to about a count of 4 or 5.
Depending on size. A 10" pot--maybe longer. Trees and shrubs--much longer.

I have seen the people here water at he Lowes. They have much stronger watering hoses
and they seem to water from above. Like a monster shower.
However--out Lowes here has 4 times the space and plants than we do. Doing it
one pot at a time would not be possible.
I water EACH pot as our hoses all have a watering wand on them and it is best to do
the watering as individual-pot as possible. That is why it takes so long...

YES! When plants come in on a truck they are in need of an immediate drink.
Then they are good for a few days. Start with the top shelf and work down.
If you can turn the cart around--watering from both sides is the best way to go.

Will you be watering the tropicals (House plants) as well?
Then you need to know which like wet--and which do not...I am sure you know that.
Snake plants, Yuccas, Corn Plants, Pony Tail palms, some Dracenas etc can go dry.

Keep chatting here about how things are going...
It takes a few weeks to get used to the constant walking and doing...
You can do it! You have gardened all your life...

I mowed my lawn yesterday for the first time. In places, my lawn was so thick and tall that
my mower stalled.
A while back, I fertilized it with a bag of Milorganite...Must have worked...
Tomorrow, Sunday, I start up with my Sunday table in Outside garden.
Not expecting more than a few people to actually stop over and chat. Never happens!
The topics I chose were Pruning Roses (a bit late already)--and pruning Shrubs--
either Spring flowering or late summer flowering--and the difference between the two.

Next week they also have me doing the 2 "Do it Herself" Clinics...
The bummer is that they are on Thursday and Saturday. My days off--but I have to come in for
about 3 hours to do these Clinics...Oh, well!

Gita
This is from a previous year...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8499680

Holly--glad you work with nice people. The supervisors have to find something to comment on, so they pick watering. Cu z we all know otherwise you re unquestionably EXCELLENT! That is cute about the Hollys.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8499682

Holly--glad you work with nice people. The supervisors have to find something to comment on, so they pick watering. Cu z we all know otherwise you re unquestionably EXCELLENT! That is cute about the Hollys.

Gita just remember to always come back here to chat ; ^) When you do I'm sure someone will follow!.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 16, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8499770

I am with Gita and miss you gals when all goes quiet. Gita, I really enjoy hearing about things you have going on. I didn't realize you had house guests though. I know the relief of having them leave too. hahaha I had one girl friend who I believe would have moved in with me, had I said come on. She hated where her hubby had moved them for his job, and every chance she got, she was in her car driving from North Carolina to Virginia. I have since moved in to a much smaller home and when she visits town now she is usually house sitting for a local Bed and Breakfast establishment another of her friends owns. Phew!!!

Oh Holly, I just can't imagine any one finding fault with you. The few times I have been around you, and the dmails some years back tell me that you are really good people. Don't change and if someone has an issue with you, they are the problem, not you. Having two customers contact the store with compliments regarding your service should send big messages to management.

Sally, as always, it is good to hear from you also. I am hoping to see you three ladies at the upcoming plant swap. Need to check and see if a have and want list has started for it yet. Oh yeah, this reminds me...Gita, since I seem to have such good luck with the plants that you have given me in the past, I dn't think you will have any problem getting rid of your excesses. The Christmas Cactus slips are coming along very nicely. Thank you for them.

Buttoneer and Bob are supposed to visit our home tomorrow. They are here at a Virginia Gold Prospectors Club meeting, a few counties over. They will be bringing supplies to show John and I how to pan for gold in some of the near by creeks. I will report back next week how the day goes. I do know that last year John and I mined for Rubies and Sapphires while on vacation in The Great Smoky Mountains. That was a very fun way to spend a day. We came home with a few small raw specimens. Some nice size pieces were being found by others around us, but we didn't find anything with much value.

This morning it is very, very wet outside. Supposed to clear off later and tomorrow is supposed to be nice and sunny again.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8499887

No she wasn't really being critical just training me. Thanks for all the hints Gita. Sounds like what I am doing, count of 5, less water stream on smaller plants more on bigger pots. Getting the head of the wand down as close as I can and I listen if the water sounds like it is missing the pot I move it around a bit till it sounds right. My sneakers were soaked yesterday. Had wet feet all day long. LOL Mostly outside watering but they have this big tank on wheels and I used it on the inside house plants the other day. Checked them before I watered them. Most aren't in pots that drip and even if they are you can't have water on the floor inside.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 18, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8503616

Dang gum it!!!!!! Lost another few paragraphs to cyberspace where many of Dave's gardens posts go to live amongst the many others that for a reason unknown to us just decide to disappear without rhyme or reason when ever the mood strikes. Anyway...was giviing a run down of the visit with Judy and Bob Showers yesterday to our home and gardens.

A meeting was in the planning for many months and the afternoon was supposed to have been spent panning nearby creeks for gold. Wouldn't you know that the rain storm of the century, to use her description, occured the day before their visit and upon arrival they were greeted with the damage and destruction to the country roads leading to our hillside home. One town over there were two lives lost on Saturday when a mother and young daughter didn't heed a warning barrier placed near the city's river and decided to cross an area that cost them their lives. A lot of the storms raging waters were caught on video and I have a couple of clips on my facebook page if anyone is interested in seeing them.

During the rain, John and I were sitting here oblivious to what was occuring to the road leading to our house until a neighbor knocked on the door and told us to come outside and take a peek. The first words out of my mouth when hardly out the door were something along the lines of "oh my God" when I saw a brown muddy river running where our roadway is normally.

Anyway...the creeks would have definitely been a poor and dangerous choice to play in the following day when they were swelled to double and triple their normal rate of flow. Being the plant nuts we are, we spent a bit of time walking through our yard and letting Judy choose some of the plants we have an abundance of. I believe she was happy with her haul. I know I was delighted with the house plants she brought to me from her collection.

An interesting high light of the day was when her hubby Bob through his detective work and the tools of the trade believes he found a rock in John's large collection of mountain rock in our front yard that has may possibly have gold in it. He gave John instructions on how to do his own detective in determining whether those specks are indeed gold. Will report back as soon as we know.

Over all, a very lovely visit and once again proving that some of the best all round people in this country can be found at Dave's Garden. If any of you are traveling through the area over the next little while, please feel free also to plan a stop by our home. We would love to see you and possibly share some of our plants to commerate your visit here.

So, I hope that everyone's week will turn out to be a great one. Spring has almost sprung and she sure came in with a bang here. Don't want to live through too many more of the types of weather we experienced on Saturday. Well, I do want to live through them, I just hope they don't occur too often. hahaha

Have a great week everyone.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8504777

So sorry about the tragedy in the flooding.

Sounds like a great visit! How nice for all.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8504836

Ruby, I sure bet you did have a nice visit with Buttoneer and her Bob. They are such nice people and live less than an hours drive from us. She is the one that first invited me to the Hobby Greenhouse Assoc. So I get to see her every couple of months at the meetings.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 20, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8508440

Hello there Sally. Things were pretty bad. I got out for the first time yesterday and saw the condition of the secondary roads leading to our home. Even with private citizens and the Dept. of Transportation making a visit or two this week, things still are not the way they were this time last week.

Holly, John told me just yesterday I believe that you lived very close to Judy, I didn't realize that. How cool. Two special folks now that live in that area, plus their other halves. hahaha

My sister in law is visiting later today to walk through the gardens and pick a few things for John to dig for her to take home. If you all can imagine, a female version of John...a real character for sure. She doesn't wear tie dye t-shirts though. She teaches Special Ed a few counties over and is on Spring Break this week. Our local schools had their break a couple of weeks ago which didn't make sense to me at all. Oh well, at the moment I have no one close in the school system but still keep up with some of what they have going on.

My Mister John came from a long list of Attorneys and I am sure it sometimes puts a burr in skin when I voice my opinions of some of the lawyers I have had the mis-fortune to deal with over the years. His grand dad was State's Attorney General for West Virginia, if that is considered impressive at all...being West VA, us Virginians have our firm ideas on those living there, and it is not always positive. Not sure if West Virginia jokes are common to those of you living north of me, but they are numerous in these parts.

Johns dad was in practice with his father in WVA but decided to move his children to Virginia to be educated rather than subject them to the somewhat different mentality of WVA. For many years his dad served as Madison County's, a small rural community near here, District Attorney and ran a farm and Day Lily business. Until a few years ago John's older sister was the District Attorney also for Madison until she had to retire due to health issues.

Anyway...very interesting family. Not too long ago the large farm was sold and his folks now live in a retirement community. Thus each of the 5 siblings all now have hundreds and hundreds of Day Lilies and other beautiful plant specimans that came from the farm. His brother was deeded 60 acres of the farm before it was sold and lives in a Civil War era home built by John's mom's side of the family. It is supposedly haunted with the spirit of Colonel Crozet, which I find hilarious. Interesting home with remnants of the slavery era, where a slaves quarters still stands and often times relics from the era are found. True VA history is someone is interested in that sort of thing.

Well, I did another good job of getting side tracked today. Thanks for indulging me folks. Hope everyone is having a good week. So far, so good here with sun shine thankfully.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8508573

Mornin Ruby.
That was all very interesting stuff! I have daylilies grown by a District Attorney. Woo hoo.

I am sworn off lawyer jokes cuz he one helping me (lawyer, not "lawyer joke") with estate has been all I could ask for and nice to boot. I can't expect free lol but what I paid saved a ton of stress.

we know WV jokes but will reserve further comment- except my first boyfriend had 100% WV blood and was a total a**. WV is gorgeous but the mountains make travel so incredibly difficult, it must be a very different way of life. Possibly some people retreated to the mountains to avoid society/ rules/ government. Sometimes that doesn't sound too bad!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 20, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8509210

Hey, I am 100% pure mountain woman, and during my earlier years was called Wild Mountain Woman. Some occurrances in my life for a while now is making me see the need for a bit of wild or at least more assertive parts of my nature to be called forth.

Yes, when you mention today's society, rules and government, I too believe that many of the mountain folk had dandy reasons for being back in those mountains. John and I were both farm reared children and our current life style is so much better suited to rural living than it would be in neighborhoods of any size, even though we have lived in one and did quite nicely other than the first day we moved in and had one of the only three in about twenty years vocal battles that we have ever had. I was so embarrassed standing beside the moving truck and the two of us yelling at each other. I could just imagine the neighbors all lowering their heads and sighing and saying..."well, there goes the neighborhood."

We are capable of behaving in acceptable manners but the freedom country living affords can't be beat. We had visitors earlier in the day and they both commented on the serenity of the area. They should have been here Sunday when you had to yell over the roar of tractors and bull dozers trying to repair the roads.

Where are you Gita? You are usually the one doing some of the longer posts. I miss you.

Ruby

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8509532

LOL Ruby, I can just see that. I have a few of those "Oh I can't believe I acted that way" episodes myself. Not many but I remember one with my oldest daughter when she was a teenager. Just pushed me beyond my limit. Just came home from work, bone tired. Seems like things are drying out around here. I would love a few dry days when I didn't work. Boy could I get somethings done. I can't beleive Easter is only a few days away and I haven't even gotten out my decorations. Not to mention I haven't done any Easter shopping.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8509573

Ruby, I really enjoyed reading your posts. They came at a good time for me. . What a cool place for your brother-in-law to live, haunted and artifacts. My father moved us into an old house when I was a teen, the sisters were retired school teachers never married and they had all passed away, so a nephew wanted to unload the house. There were many rooms in that big house and an over grown flower garden with many plants to be discovered. The nephew took what he wanted, but left some furniture, not worth anything, but I did fine a box of old glass fancy dishes under a bed, I still have them. I was always looking for secret hiding places for more treasures. The garden held the most surprises.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2011
11:43 PM

Post #8510346

ladyg, thats neat!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8514060

Ruby--Thanks for missing me-----

I posted a long post on "Think Spring" Thread...
C/P'ed it for you so you can have something to read from me. YES! it is long...
Seems you like them that way...I am happy!!!! My brain never thinks succinctly!

Her's the c/p:

Judy and Sally----

Tomorrow--Wednesday--Sherri (our Regional "biggie') will be coming to our store...
She is a nice, beautiful black lady and we always chat...She knows me and my name...

You cannot imagine the plants carnage going on today!...Carts and carts of flats and trays
and a whole 4-level cart packed with 10" HB's...Blooming plants of all kinds--GONE!!!!

Earlier I threw down the chute (because I wanted the pots--and Bell lets me have them)
28 of those Mini Phaelonopsis Orchids--in 3" clay pots. Nothing at all wrong with them!
They sell for $12--I think??? Beautiful--in bud and bloom...All different colors...
WHY? They had been around for too long. Seems to be a new policy...Need FRESH!!!

I watered straight from 8:30AM until 1:30PM. Then went home...
Started with all the carts throughout the store that had Easter stuff on them.
Then all the gardenia trees and a bunch of Tropicals, which are now jammed at only one
end of the G-House--by the.big windows. Hard to get around between the tables and
the hose does not even reach everything...
Lastly--I consolidated and watered all the Bonnie Veggies and herbs and stuff.
Tow huge runs of tables under a canopy. They have good stuff!
Just as I was done with all that and the watering--the Bonnie truck came and they put
out new flats of lots of stuff. I told the man--"You better water all the new pots--as I just
finished doing all the ones that were there..."

More carts of all kinds of stuff were being delivered all through the day.
EASTER stuff! Enough Palms to make a Forrest...

All the ASM's were setting up those black plastic tables all over. I asked--"What are those for?"
and they said "For Easter Stuff"...ALL because of Sherri's visit...Must look pretty!!!

You know what??? I will bring my camera tomorrow and take some pictures...

Of course--I will be watering many a thing all day again. My foot is so sore after today!

Gotta bake a cake tonight. We are having a bake sale tomorrow to raise funds for the
Employee Fund Committee (EFC)...

Sally--NO ONE gives donations any more just for the asking...
The asker has to submit a request on their organization's letterhead to the Home Office
in Atlanta. Then they will send a reply to the store and say what or how much is OK.

It is Another World--to you that do not work in Big Box Stores...
You do what you must--and be thankful that you have a decent (??) job.
I have been there 13 years now. Times sure have changed...

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8514073

On to nicer thoughts--EASTER!!!!

I took my camera to work the other day and took pictures of a lot of the displays--
as well as regular plant areas. Will post a bunch here...

1--This is the "Bonnie" Plants veggie and herb tables.
They have good stuff--even a lot of heirloom Tomatoes. Look for a sale this weekend--
buy two--get one free...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8514079

This is one of the Easter Plants display area near the check-Outs...
There are more in other places...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8514087

Here are the Gardenia Trees in the Greenhouse.
Sue, from Bell Nursery, is oblivious that I took this picture...
She is hauling like no tomorrow arranging all the plants...Love her! She has garden passion...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8514096

This is the left side of all the Tropical in the Greenhouse.
They moved ALL the plants near the windows. They used to be all over the back
side of the Greenhouse. Now they are in this confined area...It is hard to water these--
as it is so tight between the tables to get to everything...Small, small area--compared to
where they used to be. Now that "used to be" area is all grills and such. More $$$$$/sq. foot!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8514106

This is the right side.
NOT too much room for ll the plants we have--so they have to put them on carts...
Harder to water yet---as it is hard to get the watering wand between the shelves
on the cart. it is, kind of, a guessing game----"Am I above a pot or not???"

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8514113

Here are all the 10" palms in the Vestibule---the entrance area between the main
door and entering the store. Plants do not do as well here--as there is a VERY
powerful heat vent blowing hot air on them. They dry out in a day or so.

To water all these--I have to put them on a flatbed cart and take them outside to the
hose area. Then let them drain a bit--and then take them back into the vestibule.
This amount of plants takes about 4 trips back and forth. Lots of time! YUP!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8514126

This is a view of the right side of the Outside garden.
By the wall are all the bagged soils and, further down, all the mulches.

The left side has tables as well--but the most left ones are under the "Hoop"
which is a roofed over part near the building wall. These plants need watering often--
as the rains do not get to them...
Other merchandise there is all kinds of pots and W-Boxes, and stakes and trellises,
and raised garden kits, statuary, etc...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8514133

My only comment here is---UGH!!!!!

Would you have these in your back yard? I would NEVER have any one of these!!!
WHAT is it with the crazy colors the last few years????

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8514149

OH, YEAH!!!

The moved about 30 carts of stuff across the street again --on the parking lot...
Do you have any idea what I have to go through to get the hose over there to water these?????

You DON'T want to know---Talk abut bad planning!!!!
Talk about total exhaustion getting a 100' rubber hose there and back----and watering everything...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8514184

SOOO--Lets move on to better things--like all these CRABS!!!

With all my company here--we went out to dinner and Crabs at "Jimmy's
Famous Seafood House"--and had a feast! There were 9 of us...

You don't want to know what the bill was!!!!! We all shared, of course!

Old friends--Old times--reminiscing...All worth it...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8519022

Gita wrote: "Hey, Holly!!!!! How are YOU doing???? Not as "glamorous" as you thought--I bet...
Work is killing me--as I ,pretty much, spent my whole shift Tues. and Wed. watering...
My foot hurts so bad! It just is NOT getting any better.

No rest this week--as they have me doing the "Do It Herself" workshops.
One tonight 6:30Pm-8:30PM. (my day off otherwise) and the other Sat. afternoon--also my day off--usually...
Setting up--Standing on my feet for 2 hrs. and then dismantling the whole display. O-U-C-H!!!!

I really have NO desire to go out and work in MY garden after days like that!

OK! I will "quit my "...Gita"

And Holly responded: "Post #8518958

Gita, I was sure I posted a comment to you here. Well it said I wonder how you do it all. I like the job but I am exhausted when I get home. My poor tired legs and occasional aching back. I have a couple of younger boys with muscles as loaders but I am still doing a lot of loading and lifting myself. The last day I worked I moved pots for most of the day. It was a rainy day not very busy. Had time when I did have customers to really help them find what they were looking for. I taught a young couple how to read the plant tags so they could understand what they were looking at. LOL"

I've copied their comments from another thread here so I can chat about them on this thread. Hope no one minds the double post!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8519192

Chatting is what its here for!

I didn't think Holly would have so much lifting and moving to do.

I wish Gita could be lent a nice bar stool height chair from the patio furniture display, for a bit of rest behind her table.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8519210

Just looking at the 10 day forecast and seeing mostly rain. Hopefully we won't have the same spring and summer season as 2009. Had lots of rotten roses, tomatoes and other stuff that year.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8519455

Holly and Sally-----

I don't need to have a stool "lent" to me--I bring an old, wooden one myself.
Put my name on it---BUT-- I never sit down on it. If I do--it lasts about 15 seconds...

Holly, you and I are both "doers"----Maybe Type "A"'s???? We just are not slackers no
matter how hard it is...I bet you--if YOU or Me have a free moment--we look for work and we
"see" what needs to be done--and then do it. Right Holly?????
SO! We become the "sacrificial cows" when watering needs to be done---
because they KNOW that we will do it right. And--we will do it correctly!

As far as lifting things---one can attempt to do it. IF it is too heavy--like a water soaked,
large bag of garden soil--I cannot!!! And--I DO NOT! I an NOT stupid!!!
If all else fails--I say to the customer--"You lift one end--and I will lift the other"--and then
it is not so heavy after all. If they cannot--and you caNANOT--THEN THEY Have to wait for help.
Waiting for some new hire to help--who is about as big as matchstick--is not going to work.
They run around all day like deer in the headlights...with blinders on...:o)

Holly---IF all else fails--you call for a Lot Attendant, or Loader, on your walkie-talkie that you
need assistance in the soil/mulch/stone/pavers/ whatever section. And--they should come.
We are females----do not attempt to destroy your inner organs lifting anything you cannot lift.

Moving pots around is different---you just grab the stem and drag it wherever it needs to go.
One never needs to "lift" huge pots with plants in them. Grab a handful of the top foliage and lift/drag it.

Holly--You will be exhausted until your body gets used to doing more heavy, physical work.
At home you have always had Ric to rely on. At your job--you do not. It does take time!

Here's a "mantra" of sorts...practice it! "IF I DON'T MIND--IT DOES NOT MATTER"...

Look at ALL the physical work as FREE body-building---strength training--endurance exercises, etc..
You DO NOT have to pay $$$$ to join a health club! You can do it free--every day at work!
Just think about how many miles you walk each day as part of your job! No need for a track!!!!

Believe it or not----I actually turned one man's WHOLE mindset around who works in Millwork here...
He is in his 50's...and one day as I stopped to talk to him--he started bitching about all the physical work
he had to do--and how he was too old for this----and how he was going to quit--because he did not
want to do all the lifting, and walking and bending and reaching...
I stood there--and, pretty much told him all that I just wrote above.

From that day--his whole mindset changed! He realized the good all this physical work was doing him.
He has told this story to many people--even in my presence---how he appreciated me "opening his eyes"
to all the good this kind of hard work can do.

SOOOOO! Try to change how you look at all this...It is FREE conditioning...
Many new hires at the HD/Lowes will lose about 15lbs in a couple of months--mostly because
of all the walking...bending...lifting...not munching all day long...NOT smoking all day long...
Wear a pedometer, if you want and see for yourself!

For these "beanpole" new hires? Watch them put on some muscle! Get all "buff"...
NOW the girls will look at them differently...

Besides--these "newbies" learn discipline--courtesy--team work--responsibility to others--
"cause and effect" (if they party too much the night before and are late for work--and, eventually,
get fired)---complying with Company policies, even if they do not agree---learning that there is NO
place for age-discrimination, because that 60-year old next to them can do a lot more than they can!
They learn that proper grooming plays a big role in how they are perceived as well...

Such amazing Life Lessons!!!!! Just because you work for a Big Box Store! or--anywhere else--
IF thy have strict guidelines...You either DO--or you DON'T-----the choice is theirs!

NOW----I hope everyone reading this will give all the common complaints a second though!

Loving life,,because I have all this in MY life!!!! Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8519604

You are right Gita,
Remember I worked for years in the warehouses. Lifting and carrying aren't new to me. But since I retired I don't do as much heavy work as I use to. I am getting some of those old muscles back in shape and you are right it is good for me. And I have dropped my gym membership at least for the summer.
Sally there is always a few bags of mulch or dirt to load really I probably do more as I am a willing hand. Always offering to help the customer or other employee. Anything big we get the loaders to take care of.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 27, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8523456

Hi Ladies - Had very busy last week or so. Haven't been to Dave's for about a week or so it seems. Anyway...glad you posted all that you did Gita. I loved the photos and your store looks in top notch condition. I have been to stores when now that I think about it, the bosses must have been away for the day because the displays looked nothing at all like the beautiful ones you showed here. I am quite impressed.

I haven't been going to very many stores at all as of late. I did get an inkling to go after looking at these pics though. I love a garden center, love, love, love. Truth of the matter is that after Judy's (Buttoneer) visit two weeks ago I have enough houseplants that need re-potting to keep me busy for a while. That is not even speaking to getting some things potted up for the swap. Has a thread been starting to list wants and haves yet?

Over the winter I always root a lot of house plants and many of them need to be potted up soon too. John has a little side business going with some of his plants again this year and I might see about sending a few of my spider plants along with him to see if they will sell. A bachelor neighbor of ours has requested some house plants for his place and so far I have only one potted up for him. I even bought a squirt bottle for him to use because I want to send specific instructions on their care. I would really hate to think I am just sending something I so carefully nurtured, to its death.

Well, it is wacky Wednesday...have you hugged you wack today? hahaha Just thinking of a way to end this note. I will do so by wishing everyone a great week and weekend ahead. Thanks to Gita and Holly for the run down on how the big boys do things. It is very interesting to hear what goes on at the larger stores. Gita, that the many plants were destroyed would have been sickening for me to watch also. Hate to hear of it.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8523520

Hi Ruby, LOL Wacky Wednesday. Well Ric bought a scooter to run his errands on. He has been talking about getting one since he retired and finally decided it was time. It is a cute little thing and I took it out for a short spin last night. He needs to go to DMV today to get it licensed hopefully by the end of the day we will have everything we need to take it out for a real run and see how it does on our bigger hills.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8529055

Hey Gita, My job is pretty much what I expected. I was thinking today that I haven't done all that much watering. I spent almost the whole day sweeping. Started at one end and finished at the other. Took care of a lot of customers too, with all day sweeping between them. Had a display that I needed to move so that took awhile. We are still having a good bit of rain in our area so maybe there will be more watering as it gets hotter and dryer.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 29, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8529497

OK, you are two very smart women. When I go in a Big Box or any nursery and see dying plants because the root ball is dry, I wonder why are they not using a very large container full of water to water these plants. Much easier than a hose. Put in some PCV with faucets in different sections.. Short hoses to fill up the large containers. Time is money. So you fill the large container, close by the area you are watering. Dunk each plant and place it back. First it waters the root ball so it does not need to be watered everyday. In the long run it will save the large box many hours of employees watering plants.

If you need someone to sell this to the stores, just let me know. LOL. Sharon.

And I agree, do not lift anything heavy.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8529901

Sharon you're brilliant. Why have they not thought of that at 'corporate? Take some material they already sell and construct temporary shallow large bins.

I bet it is because customers would complain about pots leaking and dripping in the vehicles.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 30, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8529990

Holly, good looking scooter. I couldn't decide which was more beautiful, the yard in full bloom and looking so inviting or the new scooter. Oh my gosh, they look like fun but I am afraid driving or even riding one of those things left me when I reached fifty years old. hahahhaha

Great to see you Sharon. Yep, if the idea needs to be sold to Corporate, you are the woman to do it. I miss you gals from clean and clutter free. Really quiet over there these days. I bet your yard is looking really great by now.

Hi Sally and anyone else I missed. Hope that everyone is enjoying their weekend. We head out to visit friends in Northern VA tomorrow. Ought to see some beautiful spring sites along the drive. I feel as though I haven't left this hillside for years...

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8530388

My sister just got her motorcycle rating added to license- they have a Vespa- 80 mpg sure sounds nice.

By the way, Gita gifted me by mail with a lovely piece of wild bird and flower wrapping paper, passing along one of those promotional freebies. THanks Gita, so nice to be thought of!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8530756

I asked this patio associate at Lowes where I could get Quackers for my duck pond. I never did get a straight answer. This ones for you Gita! Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8530801

Holly---

You look right into your element!!! Nice picture----

Thanks, Ric

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8532324

Potluck and swap lists threads are up for Luckets/ Aspenhill swap
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 2, 2011
2:47 AM

Post #8533749

Yippie...we can now begin the excitement that always occurs pre-plant swap. Will list my haves to offer later today.

Ruby

ps...cute sales associate Ric.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 2, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8534692

Holly, hope you are over your verbal beating. It just kills me when I go into Lowes or HD and see plants, especially hanging baskets dying. They are being watered with a spray hose. When the root ball gets that dry, the only way to get it wet again is to soak it in a large bucket of water.

Do you know if HD or whomever you work for owns the plants they sale or if they are on consignment? I know at Lowes they are on consignment. So they water but they really do not are if thy lose some. Currently here because of water restrictions, they can only water 3 times a week. Sharon.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8534798

I'm at Lowes, Some we own some are owned by the vendor. That is why they tossed all those bulbs as they belonged to the vendor and he said trash them.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8535380

Worms---

I work at HD. They do not own the plants until they are sold--so, on a consignment as well.
The Nursery that provides the plants takes care of the merchandising. culling, throwing out, etc...

They really do a great job--as the plants on display are always nice and well displayed.
Anything wilted. stressed. been there too long--DOWN THE CHUTE they go.
They take the loss...
They also bring in the trees and shrubs and Tropicals--but, I believe, it is a different arrangement.
I think HD owns them...somehow...

HD associates are responsible for watering all the tropicals, Trees and Shrubs--and any
Non-blooming plants (eg Hostas, perennials, Azalkeas, Rhodos (shrubs!), Grasses, etc...etc...

That is the hard part--watering all that...That is what I spend most of my time doing nowadays...
Brutal! In the hot weather...dragging those 100', heavy hoses around...

You are dreaming IF you think anyone would have time to dip HB's in water...
There are hundreds of them!!!! They CAN be properly watered--must soak the pot--NOT the plant!
Sometimes--I go over things like this twice. First time to moisten the root ball--second time to
soak it well.
It is ALL in the knowledge and experience how, and when, to water...I have both.

Gita
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 2, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8536050

I love a woman that knows her business. Sharon.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2011
10:49 PM

Post #8536082

Gita, Holly and Worms,

The wholesale/retail nursery plant industry is huge...like factory farms but for plants. Grower/suppliers have acres of greenhouses with finely tuned automated programs for producing uniform plant material that will uniformly bloom, etc at precise times to be distributed over hundreds of miles in many cases to fill the alotted display space at your local big box store. What is shipped in and when is based on the previos years' sales plus a projected increase determined by corporate for "garden".

Garden space at big box stores is assigned and allocated to the products that will generate the maximum PROFIT PER SQUARE FOOT, which I think would mean your idea of several watering tubs would be a hard sell to corporate space wise Sharon. Many of you may have noticed over the last several years, rows of riding mowers and fancy grills where roses and petunias used to be displayed, or indoor green house areas filled more with patio furniture than tropical plants

Basically the function of live plants at big box stores is as a lossleader, meaning to draw people in so they will buy the mowers,and patio sets and some cute plants in designer colors while they sign-up to have a deck or gazeebo installed and load bags and bags of mulch and pavers into their SUVs. Home improvement is all about curb appeal/looking good/appearance/status CONSUMING, not gardening, imho. lol

There is a world of difference between hardgoods and livegoods an the big box stores around here atleast have mostly outsourced the "live goods" care and maintainence to merchandizing companies like Bell at HDsor Plant Partners at Lowes. Holly, Neither of these companies may yet be in your area although they are in Philly...Depends who your palt suppliers are as merchandizing is some sort of adjunct of the growers/venders

If the garden center "looks good" when the corporate big wigs do their walk thru (fast paced walking with several store management keeping
up) then all is well at least for the garden center if their sales figures are at all reasonable all of which can be played with if the store has any advanced notice of a surprise walk thru. lol and now there is Twitter!!!

Anyhow, fun to hear about what was my chosen game formany a season afterall the small, local, specialty nurseries retired or went out of business. Sigh

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8536384

Its interesting hearing the other side. Coleup, your observation about consuming VS gardening is spot on.

I saw an ad for Bell plant people== ?? term they used- Merchandiser. What do they do?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8536772

We are loosing more and more small nurseries in our area. There were several that I used to visit that are now gone. When I got my job I was told that the purpose of our area is to move plants and that sure is what we do. They come in and go out so fast I can hardly keep track of what we have and where it is.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8537885

Sally----

OH! Can I tell you what they ( Bell people) do!!!!! Have compassion for them..PLEASE!!!!
We have ONE "Bell" person all day long trying to re-arrange all the carts and displays--
Water all that they "should" water...re-merchandise all that is called for...
Just because that is what is expected on thisTHIS particular week...It is brutal!
They have "Planograms" like all the other departments do. They have to comply!
These change--as all the higher ups are given THEIR rules to pass on.

Some examples:

--NO more than two kinds plants/colors per Mega-Rack in front of the Store--out on the "apron".!
--NO more than two varieties of plants on an End-Cap...NOPE!!! Cannot have three!!!
--Everything has to be "striped"--which means that if you have couple of shelvings to display plants--
top to bottom--they have to be "striped"...I am sure you have noticed this...Top--bottom--all the same.
This is now "Universal" in all retail Merchandising...Even Grocery Stores...

When the "Biggies" of the Region come to "Walk" the Store---That is what they look at and expect.
Doesn't matter that a week ago it was all different...THIS week--TODAY!!!!--it better be what is dictated...

It is SOOO hard in out store--as we have such a minimal number of associates...
To comply with what a "Regional Walk" wants--RIGHT NOW!---disrupts the whole day and saps all
the energy from the few people on hand in the whole store...
There are endless calls for "HELP NEEDED" on the Walkie-Talkies. You just hope someone answers...

ONE person per department, as it is in our store, makes all this extremity difficult...We do our best!

I WILL tell you all this! There is NO neater, more organizes store in our area than ours!
We have an amazing "expectation" from all the hired associates--and they try to live up to it.
Much of this is because of our amazing Store manager--Donn...and his standards for the Store.
By now we all KNOW his standards--and we all do the best we can to comply to them...

Today--ME! I watered from 8AM till 5PM--with only a lunch break. No one has to tell me what needs
to be watered! I look! I see! I DO! Even if it is NOT under our responsibility (vs Bell's)--
I feel sorry for that ONE person they have allotted X-# of hours to get the impossible accomplished...
She is ONLY human as well! NOT a miracle worker!

SO! I water and water and water---even the things that THEY are supposed to water...
NO matter! We are a TEAM! Some choose NOT to be a member of it--and some others
pick up the slack and do overtime to do what has to be done...I am one of those people...

We have a common goal--to have the Garden Dept. as neat and clean and pleasing as it can be.
That will make all the customers want to shop HERE!--NOT "over THERE!"...
THAT is what brings in the $$$ this time of year...
I hear it every day i am out there---how much more variety of plants we have--
and how much better everything here is taken care of...THAT is the reward for all the hard work!

Small as we are--we have an amazing TEAM of people--and we also have an amazing
customer/contractor loyalty because of it. Parking is available right at the front door.
Our store is NOT bogged down in some cluttered parking lot in some cluttered Mall area.
WE stand singly available--Drive up--Load up--and GO!

IF I can be just a minute part of making all this happen--I am proud of my contributions to
OUR store.

One loyal employee! MOI! Gita

rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 4, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8539075

So far this year I haven't been a customer at either of two stores we are discussing. I keep hearing how we are running out of planting space. Tis true, but new beds are in the planning stage. When John saw the list of wants I was writing yesterday from the plant swap he said, I better get busy preparing a new bed or two.

I know that in the past I have been thrilled when finding deals in these type of stores in the garden department. I have what is labeled as a Money Tree that I purchased some years back for fifty cents. The tag had $14.99 on it and that is my kind of deal. It has done exceptionally well and for the life of me can't figure why it was marked down so much.

Still, my stomach turns over when thinking of plants going down the chute that with a bit of TLC would survive and possibly thrive.

Ruby

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8541352

Here's a link to an article about a company I merchandized for , and who supplies most annuals to Lowes around the mid atlantic. They are the largest greenhouse growers in the US and have made some innovations on the production side of the floiculture industry.

http://www.metrolinagreenhouses.com/article.aspx?id=20

If you go to their site you can see some videos of their technigues and facilities...

Bell Nurseries basically "runs" the plants in the Garden Centers at HDs in our area. They have been very innovative in the merchandizing/ care side of retail sales and have been recognized as leaders in the industry

http://www.skipjack.net/sfi/impacting_an_industry.html

http://www.bellimpact.com/index.php?page=home

This message was edited May 5, 2011 10:43 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8541534

Thanks for the links coleup.
Bell has 9 pages of job listings. (multi states) Mostly the seasonal merchandisers who work at a particular store, March thru June, and maybe some Oct.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8542245

Judy--

Thanks for the links...
I copied out the contents and will pass it on to my Garden Manager...Just--FYI...

Information is worth it's weight in gold! Or--just worth the information it contains...FYI...

Gita
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8576139

Hi, just found this thread!! With the lure of "anything goes", I couldn't "skip to new" fast enough and tripped over some of the musings and ramblings in between. I see there are some Neil Diamond fans here, great! I would participate more if I could get highlights more quickly and find out how to "skip to new" without scrolling a thousand posts first.

Big high today is: my red poppy opened and is a knock-out! The low is I found out I got a Reine des Violettes rose instead of a Reine Victoria rose. But even so, RdV smells awesome and it is BLOOMING even in its 4-inch nursery pot that it came in a couple of weeks ago. A record for new roses here!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8582811

NE PA tornado warning right now!!!!! Get in your basement!!!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8582848

Foxnfirefly- envying you your awesome scented rose! There's nothing like a real good rose scent.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 24, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8584041

Glad you found us FNF. I thought the software program was set up here that it automatically took a person to the last post they commented on. Doesn't seem to always be happening now that I think about it though, so maybe a glitch that administration needs to be informed of. ????

You missed a great swap FNF. Let's hope you will be able to attend when Jill has one this fall. As always, I believe everyone went home very satisfied with their plant trades and definitely had their bellies full of good food.

Thanks for the warning Jen. So scary what is occurring across the country recently. A person doesn't seem to be safe any where. Always good to hear from you Jen. Hope that every thing is going well for you and yours.

Later everyone.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8584231

Hey Ruby!!!
Looks like 2 counties got hit in PA, but not a lot of news coverage because of the coverage in Joplin
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 25, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8586121

Oh yeah Jen, that is the way it goes...the bigger badder one gets the most coverage. Are you located near PA?

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8586183

I can get there in 10mins
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8653258

Congrats Sally, Just saw your answers on Ask a Gardner. I haven't visited that feature before so I didn't know you were a contributor to that feature. Great answers.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8656238

Thank yew! We writers are asked to volunteer if we see a question we feel interested in. I am a good do bee so I try to .
What wonderful weekend weather! and we've made good use of it. A paddling outing, some gardening, washed the deck, working on re shingling the shed roof. Oh yeah and coffee and reading on the deck too!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8656405

Sounds like you had a fun and productive weekend. I was off for the last 4 days. I got a whole lot done and Ric worked like a beast. He mowed and mulch and moved about 1/2 of that huge compost pile into my flower beds.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 1, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8666031

For a few weeks now, three and sometimes four days a week has been and will be devoted to caring for my grand children while their parents work. Emily, age four and Isaac who is one sure keep a Grandma and Papa busy. Thankfully, there is usually a days break in between their visits, so I can recoup. I offered to begin doing this when my son was discussing his displeasure with the second baby sitter they have hired in the past six or so months since his wife went back to work. I hated to see my son stressed over baby sitters, so I am hoping this continues to work out for everyone.

Most of our flower beds are established and other than weeding them, I don't have too much to do with them. I have been joining John in his attempt to sell at some of local Farmers Markets. I pot up some of the plants I have gads of and send them with him. Certainly not getting rich, but every dollar counts. I have also begun potting up lots of house plants extras and they are selling slowly too.

So, I am definitely staying busy...have a to do list a mile long, but it will get done eventually. Good to see you folks today and always enjoy hearing what everyone has going on. Enjoy your weekend folks.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8666108

WOW Ruby, Taking on a daily babysitting job is quite a task. Really I love having the GC for a visit and I do watch them from time to time when Jen needs a sitter for the day or her and Matt take an occasional overnight trip. Or when JR wants an over night visit or Jamie and Deb are going out. But honestly I wouldn't want to do it on a daily basis. You are a great Mom and Grandmother to take that on.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 1, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8666154

I know...I know...thankfully it works out as three days a week usually, occasionally it will be four, and so I don't really think of it in terms of full time. We are here for the most part anyway...so works out for all around. I wish I didn't have to, but of course I am having them pay me what they were paying the other sitters...and the extra cash will be nice to have also.

I may change my tune down the road, but so far, so good.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8666190

Great Ruby enjoy the extra $$ and the extra time with your lovely Grands.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8666473

Ruby, Glad you're happy with the arrangement! And potting plants for sale sounds fun too. I love planting things- much more so than harvesting veg and like now I have lots of yellow squash I need to freeze or give away or eat.

Holly the pink octopus Campanula looks very happy!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8666739

Ruby---

IF you need more plants to sell--take a leaf off of any of your African Violets to root.
Or--snitch them at any store or nursery if they are broken off anyway.
I do the same with X-Mas Cactus as peoplehandling these pots are very careless.
In straightening the pots on the cart--I pick up any broken off pieces to root...

Just take it to propagate. I do that a lot---all the Stone Crops I had at he Swap
were from broken off pieces laying all over the tray..Just cleaning up!...ahem...

There are 2 ways you can root AV's leaves---water or rooting the leaf in soil.
I always prefer the soil way--as the roots will grow in a more "natural" environment.

Get some 3" pots (cups?)--or, any plastic container about that size. I think yogurt cups may do.
Just make sure you poke holes in the bottom for drainage.
Then--buy a tube of clear plastic cups--about the same size.
To get an idea of what I am leading up to--have you ever seen the pot and top that
Venus Fly Traps are sold in? The most perfect rooting pot combo for AV leaves.

Moisten the soil really well (NOT wet!) and insert the stem (rooting hormone is OK)
into the soil and put the clear glass on top--either TIGHTLY inside the rim of the pot--or outside.
The main thing is NOT to let the AV leaf touch the sides of the clear glass on top.
Use toothpicks to support the leaf--if you have to.

IF the seal is tight--you do not need to do anything else until the new AV is growing
baby leaves, which will come from the bottom off the stem inside the soil.
About 2-3 months...They will come in bunches---amazing thing to see!

After this happens--remove the clear glass from the pot and let it grow until you feel it
needs transplanting into a 4" pot. Water as needed--but keep it just moist.

After the new leaves are growing--you will need to divide and transplant the new growths
into individual clusters. This is advisable--so your AV will just be growing from ONE cluster,
NOT as a multi-clustered one. NOT good!
Take care doing this--as AV leaves break off easily...

In about a year or so--you will have a multitude of new AV's to sell...

Here is the pot/top set-up that works great. In this case--the pot is a bit too big (4")
for the clear glass topping it. Like I said---3"pot and glass work the best...
But--You get the idea?

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8666760

The other way is to break off a leaf and leave about a 2" stem on it.

Get a SMALL glass or vase--about 2" in diameter--fill it close to the top with water.
A bigger Shot Glass would work great.
Then stretch, tightly, some plastic wrap over the top of the vase. Poke a small hole in it.

Take the stem of the AV leaf and slip it through the hole in the plastic wrap.
This will keep the bottom of the leaf from touching the water...

That's it! Let it sit on a Northern windowsill until there are new leaves coming up
from the bottom of the leaf. Then--pot ot up--keeping it barely moist until the new
growths break the soil and start growing...

Patience is all this takes...One leaf==one plant to sell...
You could make a lot of money--it just takes planning and timing it right...

Here is an example of the water-rooting. I just set it up to take the picture--
so there are NO roots yet to see...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8666767

Here are three pots of well-growing new AV's that were just started last year...
They are in just 2"-3" pots right now...

I need to transplant them in 4" pots--thinking about it every day!!!

It is VERY doable, Folks!!! Propagating ONLY takes time and know-how...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 2, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8668199

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Gita, I have at least eight or ten pots of African Violets that I propogated probably two years ago. I can't get those babies to bloom though. What am I doing wrong????? I hadn't heard of either of your ideas, but both look simple enough. I would love to have a good collection for next years markets.

I spent a good portion of this morning looking for greenhouse shelving units which I plan to use in my plant room when I bring my houseplants back inside in the fall. I had the plant room set up last year, but hadn't taken the time to think much about the design of the room and the set up, so at times had difficulties tending all the plants. I am currently packing up the contents of the room and many pieces of furniture and other things that are now residing there, will be moved to the shed.

I sold about forty dollars worth of houseplants this morning. Well, John did, I transported them in my car to the market, and came back to pick them up afterwards. This is our local Farmer Market and he is also attending one in another nearby small town on Thursday afternoons. I am getting an idea of what is going to sell and how folks want them, so progress is being made. He isn't doing too badly with the gazillion Day Lilies he is selling either.

Anyway...this is all in good fun, and I guess the Universe was looking out for us and our pocket books by sending us opportunities for earning cash which hasn't been necessary for several of the previous years. I guess it is just a good example of the adage - where there is a will, there is a way. Now, if I could clobber that thought in to my youngest son's hard head, all would be great.

Anyway...waiting for anyone who has had good success with getting AV's to bloom, I am all eyes and ears. I have had them bloom in years past, but it has been a while now since seeing any of the sweet blooms. One thing, I moved their location, may need to move them back to previous home.

Again, thanks for the chat from three of my favorite ladies at Dave's...for sure!!!

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8668341

Ruby---

I do not know about what is the ideal thing for AV's to bloom...
I have heard that once you find the right spot---they will let you know by blooming their heads off...

Right spot could be a bright Northern exposure---and not anywhere where there would be cold
or drafty. That is my problem--I have those little shelves right against my LR/DR windows.
i KNOW they are cold in the winter.

I suppose you could Google "Getting African Violets to bloom" and see what comes up.
I believe I have the link to the AV Society saved.. will look...

Re you selling houseplants---what kind sell best?
There are always gadzillion Spider Plants...Do they sell?

I could send you a pile of seeds to plants not too common. Daturas---4 O'Clocks--
Garlic Chives--Cleomes, etc...But--how much can you get for seeds? Not much!

I DO have a lot of Pregnant Onions...small ones and medium ones...
You could pot each bulb, or two, in a 4: clay pot and sell those.
I bet no one has heard of them before! SO! A novelty! Might fetch $4-$5 a pot.

I have a lot of pictures I could send you. And--meanwhile--it would be nice
if you could collect information on this plant and print out a 1/2 page primer on it
to go along with every plant someone buys.

Actually--Sally wrote an article on the Pregnant Onion at my suggestion.
Just click on her name and go down to "Articles Sally has Written"
and scroll down until you find that one. I think it was a year or more ago...
I know she used some of my photos for it.

Whatcha think????? Might be worth it...
I will be glad to send you a pile of pregnant Onion bulbs--growing in 2" clay pots
(will keep the pots--too heavy). These bulbs will be at least 1" or a bit more in size.
For Postage only!

OK! Let me go search for the AV Society link...Gita

Here's one--- http://www.lyndonlyon.com/hints.htm

Another-- http://www.optimara.com/index.html

Another-- http://www.violetbarn.com/

This link is on Propagating begonias----
http://www.bradsbegoniaworld.com/prop.htm

http://www.bradsbegoniaworld.com/ I think the last two are one and the same----

Have fun reading! Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8668730

Ruby- good going on the houseplants, and on the day lilies. What could be better than making some money on something you enjoy? (OK making MORE money LOL).
There is a fertilizer called Bloom Boost. It has extra P, the middle number. I hear that WILL induce a bloom. Might be worth a try, as you know anything with flowers sells much better
No you wont get 'anything' for seeds, esp of things not many people know of.

I think a few pregnant onions could be a fun novelty plant there though. Sure are easy enough to try. Only problem being they are going to be (maybe) too small to sell this year, and to get them bigger you'll have to have some kind of room for them inside for the winter. Not fussy, but still indoor space. If you do them, get John to print some pix from Gita, or me, I think I can find some pix of the bigger one I had.

Don't know if John is using good old dirt to pot his things, or buying something. I found finely chopped bagged pine bark at Ace for the usual 3 bucks or something for big bag. I use it to stretch and lighten my potting soil, and its about the third of the cost of say Scott Potting Mix in that size bag.

I can see him now "Day lilies! Git yer daylilies here!!"

By the way, my nephew was a late bloomer shall we say- drifted along until last year age 27 when his dad's new wife helped him get hired at the hospital. It finally clicked with him, he went thru tech training and last week was soo very proud to tell us he passed certification and the sixth floor placed him full time. Got my fingers crossed for your son to "figure out life"
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 4, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8671827

Thank you both Sally and Gita. Sally, it is so sweet of you to send words of encouragement for my late bloomer. I still have hopes, haven't written him off and never will. It has just not been an easy five or so years with watching him struggle and make such poor choices. I have been enough of a basket case over the whole issue to last me a life time, so I am on hiatus from worry and have faith that things will eventually work out for him. Thankfully he is a nice and polite young man, has a lot more going for himself than he realizes, and won't listen to mom with compliments, because you are mom and you have to say that. Anyway...thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I have always found you folks at Dave's to be such a great support for many of my non-gardening issues over the years. Five years ago, I believe I would have sunk way down deep if I had not had so many kind and wonderful people encouraging me along as I seemed to face one health issue after another the year I turned fifty. That is definitely a year I never want to repeat, never, ever, ever!!! Anyway...five years later, doing quite thanks to a lot of help from all you lovely people here.

Gita...a great big thank you too for the offer of support in getting this business off the ground. I like your ideas and will we can discuss some specifics of exchanging these things on a dmail or even a phone chat. Thank you for the links, will check them out later on.

As for the things I am selling, I haven't sent too many varieties yet, but so far have sold a few Wandering Jew, some Coleus, Begonia and a few Varigated Spiders. This week I will be sending some Purple Passion, Pothos, another plant I need to identify the name of after taking a picture of it for you all. As you said...Spider Plants seem to be everywhere and I have what seems to be a gadzillion here too.

John said that on Saturday when I sent some extra large pots of things, it drew more buyers than usual just from the display. We only transport the larger pots to the market a couple of miles from home and don't subject the larger houseplants to transporting to another out of town market he is attending. If my baby sitting schedule ever works where I have a clear Thursday, I will transport some of the larger ones to the further market too.

Anyway...you two have given me some good ideas. Thanks Sally for the tip on Bloom Boost. Will check it out. I mentioned in another thread that I moved the A Violets back to the location where they used to bloom for me yesterday. Am hoping for good results.

John just walked by and said to mention that we are not selling anything that we have received at the swaps...yet, will be in the future possibly from the propogating we will do. Sally, I am hoping the Lysimachia will do well and spread...because those firecracker blooms are really eye catching right now and ought to sell next year.

Okay all...thank you both for your interest and support. I am needing to get up and move about some. Will make a note to re-read this and check the links Gita sent. Gita, I will also make note to dmail you the next time I sit here and we can work on the specifics of getting some things transferred from your place to mine...John mentioned riding that direction one day rather than mailing these things...so watch out, you may have visitors once the hot weather is behind us and I feel like a road trip.

Also...John is offering you two ladies a pot of Blackberry Lilies which are a native flower here. They are quite interesting (novelty) little plants that after blooming the seed pod looks exactly like a Blackberry. He has sold quite a few of those. You may want to research it and see if it will grow in your zone if you are interested. Let me know. Enjoy the rest of your day. Thanks ladies...good chatting with you.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8672542

Ruby--

Something else I have a lot of is Swedish Ivy. Kind of don't see that
much any more. It is such a pretty plant! Shiny leaves...easy care...
I am always taking cuttings and starting small pots of it. It is sooo easy!
The trick is to put 3 cuttings in each finger-hole. Then you have a bushy plant.
4" pot---2 holes
6" pot---5 holes
8" pot--7 holes
10" pot--11 holes

It is not hard to send cuttings through the mail. Just that they would be boxed.
Should get to you in a couple of days.

John does not have to drive all the way up here--that is a long trip!
The lilies you want to give us--would they hold until the Swap?

I know what I will do...I will start a bunch of 4" pots of the Swedish Ivy
for you. That way, they will be a bit ahead...and nicely growing for you to sell.
I have 2 older HB's of it that I really do not want to keep.
Need to trip all those--will make a lot of pots...

Would you prefer I did 6" pots for you? Get more money?
How much can you get for a nice 6" potted plant? 4" ??

Hitting the sack--I have to get up at 4AM tomorrow...
Stay well--you two!

Gita
This is from Oct. 2009

Thumbnail by Gitagal

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 4, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8672559

Gita, we call that creeping charlie here. I used to have a beautiful one inside and some bug got it before I noticed and wiped it out.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 4, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8672567

Ruby, I will trade you some pink rain lilies or some Blackberry lilies. Photo is from this week.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 5, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8673589

Thanks again Gita - Hey, I am open to any thing you would like to give us. I already have some of the Swedish Ivy and today is supposed to be the day that I was going to pot some up to send to Market this week. Haven't made it to the potting table yet today because this morning was dog bathing day and kids will be here for the afternoon. Anyway...it is another of the plants you have gifted me with that has done excellent for me. I have little stems of it in several cups of water rooting sitting in several places. I have given it many hair cuts over the years since it came here to live. I am mainly selling in 4" pots for $3. If I pot in a decorative pot, I am charging $5. Over the weekend I vased up some plants that will live in water and plan to see if they will also sell for $5. Again, the onions sound good and the Swedish Ivy too. Whatever you have, I will give a home to and try to make a few bucks off the extras too, if that is okay with you.

Tell you what...go ahead and box some things up in the next couple of weeks and send and I will reimburse postage to you. As for the Blackberry Lilies, we can exchange at the swap if you'd like or I can mail a pot to you now if you'd like. For things that are not ready to be sent now, the swap will be a good time for getting them from you.

Sharon, I would love to do an exchange. I was looking at a zone map yesterday for the Blackberry Lilies and it looked like they will do okay pretty much three quarters of the US, beginning on the East Coast and working west. I don't have the map in front of me, and didn't know to check yesterday, but you might be able to get them to live there and I would love to do a trade. The Rain Lilies are very pretty. What can you tell me about them?

Anyway...I just came in from taking some pictures of the house plants and will share some of them here as soon as I download them. I need an ID on one, so will ask about it too.

So, I will be in touch through dmail with you two ladies or I can be found on the Address Exchange. Sharon, are you ready for me to send the BBLilies to you now?

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8674350

Ruby!!!

DO NOT waste time rooting things like Swedish Ivy or Wandering Jew in water first!

Just do bnunches of 2-3 cuttings at a time and put them in ONE finger-hole in fresh soil.
See my Post above!
They will root much faster and better...and grow into nice, little plants...
Also saves time! Alsdo--keep your newly planted cuttings outside in filtered shade.
The humidity and fresh air hels a lot! You will see...
Having to adjust from water roots to soil--is a bit of a shock to most plants.
Be happy about the ones that CAN root right into soil from fresh cuttings.

Gita

rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 8, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8680438

Thanks Gita. I suppose it has just become a habit at this point. In the past whenever I rooted things it was usually because a piece had broken off a plant or something and water and a jar were always handy at odd times, when potting soil and pot weren't always. Now, that I will be doing it for a business cause, I like your idea. Plan ahead and save time. Good thinking...I am always open to time savers.

I potted a few of the Swedish Ivy one evening this week. Will be taking to market tomorrow. Hope some folks like them well enough to buy them. I also took pictures one night and want to share a few of them here. Will try to find some time this weekend to post them.

Have a good weekend all. And thanks again Gita.

Ruby

rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 29, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8723374

Just dropping by to say I hope that everyone will have a good weekend coming up. Take care and try to stay cool everyone.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8723814

Ruby---

You said in the above post that you just potted up some Swedish Ivy to take to the market...
What you said bothers me a bit...
Were they already rooted and growing well when you potted them up? Like in the soil?
Did you transplant them just to a bigger pot? OR--Were they newly rooted cuttings (in water) you just potted up?

I do not think I would buy a freshly potted up cuttings of anything. The DO have to go through
a time of adjustment and then start growing and looking good before I would sell, or buy, any.

Perhaps my standards are higher for what i would consider salable plants.
IF you have customers that will pay for whatever you are offering--that is wonderful.

You have often commented how nice all my plants are when i share them at the Swaps.
That is the result of how dedicated i am to quality of plants before I give them away.

NOTHING got just yanked out of my garden. NOTHING was just stuck in a glass of water.
NOTHING I just dug out of my garden the morning of a Swap and wrapped it in a wet paper towel.
When I share plants--they are already growing in pots and well on their way. Healthy and doing well.

Plants I will root in water first are:

--Individual Begonia leaves. The roots grow from the bottoms of the stem cuttings. Takes time...
--Ivy cuttings--they root slowly. Water-rooting gives then a head start.
--You CAN do Swedish Ivy in water--but it is not necessary. Just wasting time...
--AV leaves. Can be done either way. Rooting right into the soil, in my opinion, gives these a better start.

I just rooted (in water) some cuttings of my Endless Summer Hydrangea. Need to pot them up.
I could just as well have cut the tips off and stuck them in the bed and they will root. Will do that to a zillion of them!
Then--by next spring--I could dig them up and pot them up.

I have never had much luck rooting woody cuttings in any way.
Like my Camellia. My Kopper King Hibiscus--and such...The KK does not even make seeds!!!
It makes the seed pods--but they all whither up and are empty.

I know I am NOT all knowledgeable on propagation. But--I try--just for the fun of it. Sometimes it works!
Sure would like to be able to root the KK HIbiscus. Can't buy it anywhere any more.
I dug away 2 new shoots from the base of my big one this spring. They both had roots on them.
Potted them up--and so far--I think they have rooted..as I did the "tug test" and there was definite resistance.
Of course, the stems all died back. That is expected--I think.
Will have to wait until next Summer to see if any new growth comes from the bottom of these divisions.
IF it does--these are, surely, already spoken for.

When I got it--about 5 or 6 years ago--ALL the HD's had it. Just that ONE year!!! So many--that no one bought them all.
I got two of them at 50% off at the end of the Season. I guess people did not really know what it was...
Now you cannot find any! Except through catalogs...

Hoping you have much luck with the two Red Epis I gave you. It will take time!
Patience is the main virtue in gardening...

It is 100* here today--again. I am staying inside. Just watering my beds by sprinkler.
Glad our eater Bills here are so reasonable...otherwise--I could not afford to do this...

Gita

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8724396

Ruby,

Apart from providing the right level of light and fertilizer to AVs, it is also important to get the pot size right. A very common reason for AVs not blooming is that their pots are too big. AVs like being root bound. When in big pots, the plants grow very big but won't bloom well. A few of my new AVs are now blooming in solo cups. If your AVs are in pots bigger than 3", you may want to consider moving them to smaller pots. If the AVs are already very big and look top heavy for small pots, you can remove some of the leaves from the bottom. That will leave a "neck" on the AV. When repotting, pot the "neck" in the soil.

If you google AV info, you can find many articles/discussions on how to grow AVs. They are really very easy plants to grow and propagate.

Good luck.

Donner

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8724856

Donner--

You posted a picture of an amazing AV in the "Buttoneer's Stroke" Thread.
It was bi-color...Lavender and white?

It looked awesome! Would you start me a leaf? Are you coming to the September Plant Swap at Jill's?
I heard she was going to start a Thread on it soon. Have to go look.

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8726110

Did not do anything outside today! too lazy...Can't say it was too hot--just did not feel like it...

Something must be wrong with me...Not enough energy or will to do anything...
Maybe i should take some iron pills?

Then again--there is nothing urgent that needs to be done in my garden--besides watering...
Weeding too...
Picking many tomatoes. Mostly Cherokee Purples. Experimenting with Fermenting seeds. never did it before...

Fried up a bunch of yellow and green Zucchinis. Ate half of them when I took them off the pan...YUM!
Fixed up a pile for lunch tomorrow at HD.

Bought all kinds of chicken and turkey backs and necks at Richardsons. Cleaned them up and had to freeze them--
as my next totally free day will be next Friday. Gonna make a big batch of stock.

Monday, I have to make 3 deserts for our Fund-raised Bake sale for "an associate in need"...
I will make a big pan of "Luscious Lemon Bars" and 2 pies of some sort from DG. Sounder great!

Wish I knew WHO the "associate in need" is. Might make a bigger donation. HD has these now and then.
The "Homer Fund" matches all $$$ collected. Dollar for dollar.

Just killing time chatting here...My body wants to go to bed--but it is a bit early...
Yet--I will be getting up at 6AM...So! Why not?

Here is my KK Hibiscus. All HUGE and blooming away...
About the only thing worth showing off right now...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8726112

Sally---Care to move this on?????? 225 Posts...

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8726436

Gita,

The AV in the picture you mentioned is a "Shimmering Sunshine". The flowers are fuchsia with white edges. I will start a leaf for you.

Donner

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2011
1:37 AM

Post #8726763

Gita, the heat and humidity have been awful. A vitamin with iron probably couldn't hurt but a doc visit and blood test would tell for sure.
Donner, I gave the av from swap to my mil, she loves it. Thanks for the tips.

Gita, yes we are due, I'll try to do that tuesday if no one else goes ahead before then. I'm out of town. Visiting dad for his birthday, 91.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 31, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8727147

Hi folks - By golly, you ladies are going to make a gardener out of me before this is all over. Thanks for further tips Gita. Yeah, the swedish ivy I potted had been rooted in water. I did what you said with the batch your sent and potted directly in soil. Will let you know how they do. A few have yellowed and shriveled and needed to be picked off, but so far, so good. The ones that I did from the watered roots look okay for now. Will do as you advised and try the tug test and see if they are in fact rooting correctly.

Donnerville, thanks for more info on the Violets. You seem to be our expert on those. Yes, you told me months ago that the pot sizes may be interfering with their non bloom state, and there are a couple that may have to go to smaller pots. One thing I did as I was writing here one day and realized that I had moved the AV from their previous home in which they were doing well blooming, so I have since moved them back to where they were blooming well a couple of years ago. No blooms yet, but hope this move helps. I have also begun feeding them with an AV fertilizer and they look good at the moment, yet still no blooms.

The Lipstick plant you sent has not formed any new blooms for me but is crazily growing new shoots. It seems happy, but again...no new blooms. Sally mentioned a special feeding for helping with blooms and I am applying it to a few plants also but haven't been doing it long enough to see any results yet.

Sally, tell you dad Happy 91st and that he raised one heck of a fine daughter. Oh yeah, that message can be given to your mom too if she is alive.

My afternoon will include potting some rather large Aloe plants that a neighbor sent via John earlier in the week. I planted the small ones already and so far, so good. Another exciting thing is that last week John and I visited a nearby Florist who is closing up shop and selling out the contents of the store. We were able to purchase a nice display stand she had in the middle of the store and that is where my houseplants will spend their winter when returning back inside in the fall.

I need to take the rest of the week to finish organizing the plant room which didn't suit me last winter even though the plants all did very well and I don't believe I lost any of them. I want to set it up so that it is easier for me to manuever around from pot to pot tending them. I need to move out the bakers racks I used to display some of them and send to either storage shed or greenhouse and then I begin rearranging the room to better suit my tastes. This has been an ongoing project for a couple of years now. Kind of my mini-indoors-greenhouse. It works in a pinch.

Anyway...enjoy your day everyone. Always good to hear from each of you. Will report back as to the condition of Swedish Ivy and others we discussed.

Oh yeah Gita, the epi's look perfectly content still in the containers you sent them in. At least one is growing new shoots and I will have to inspect the other two to see if they are currently growing. Will report back.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 31, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8727187

Just realized that I haven't heard from Holly or Ric in a good while. Darn it. I just went and wrote down the numbers of some of the house plant pictures I want to share here. Will wait until after Sally or someone else starts a new page, because I have quite a few pictures to show.

Till we meet again...

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8727789

Ruby,

The Lipstic Plant is one of the class of plants called "Columnia".
They are all thick-leaves and do not like to be watered too often.
Also--like so many plants like this--they want to get root-bound before they will bloom.

Repotting your Aloe plants is difficult--as they are so top-heavy.
When I have re-planted them--I stick little support stakes all around the plant to hold it up.
Keep the watering to a minimum...
They take a good half-a-year to grow enough roots to hold themselves up.

Let your Epis be--don't fuss too much over them--and water as needed--but allow to dry in between.

I am at work--BORING! It has been a long time that I have sat all 8 hrs. in the phone center...

Stay as cool as you can! Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8728045

Hi Gita, I worked this morning. I was the only one there for the first 2 hours, then got a cashier and it was just the two of us till 10:00. We had 2 people call off. Well, it is usually pretty quiet on Sunday mornings, was just starting to get busy as I was leaving.
Not sure I told you Ric took a tumble last week. Fell out of the boat he was loading for a fishing trip. Dislocated his shoulder and cracked a couple of ribs. He is resting, reading, and getting pretty bored. He is still doing things around here but after a day doing too much he has cut back to smaller lighter jobs, with plenty of rest between.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8728591

Holly--I am sorry to hear about Ric. Hey, man! are you getting too old for some of your adventures?????

Once more--there goes your worker and handyman for a few weeks.
I know you will take good are of him. You have to. He does so much worj around your garden.
Cracked ribs???? Now--that will take a bit of time to heal.

How is work going? I hate all the times I spend watering in this heat---
but, at the same time--I love the solitude and the time to just veg at those times.
Early mornings in a garden are magical--till the sun comes out.

Hate the sweat dripping down my neck. ..and my face..and my temples...
I always have a towel around my neck...to catch it all,,,
Many times I ask myself: "WHY do I bother fixing my hair every morning???"

Got some good deals at Lowes last week.
5" pots of double, pink Impatiens for .25 cents each. Bought 5 of them. Made a HB out of these.
Also bought two quart pots of pale pink, perennial Balloon Flowers for $1.67 each.

HD never marks anything down like that!. Bummer...
Lowes is 2 miles closer to my home than the HD I work in. So--I stop now and then...

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8731068

New thread, please continue here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1204370/

This message was edited Aug 1, 2011 10:12 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America