Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: 2011 Spring Plant Swap in Lucketts, VA - May 21

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 148, Views: 1,192
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8420030

I'll be hosting a spring plant swap at "Aspen Hill", my home in Lucketts, VA. The date is set for Saturday, May 21, so mark your calendars!

When - Saturday, May 21, 2011
Time - 11:00 am to 4:00 pm, but very flexible; feel free to come early and/or stay late!
Where - Lucketts is on Rt 15 between Frederick, MD and Leesburg, VA

I'll set up separate threads for plants and pot-luck at some point. We'll use this thread to chat and for who will be coming.

Plant Offerings Haves/Wants Thread here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1177044/

PotLuck Thread here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1177047/

Who is coming:
Terri (aspenhill) - host
Cheryl - Lucketts neighbor friend
catbird423
Bec_No_VA (twiddly dee)
Chantell (twiddly dum)
critterologist
sallyg
donnerville & friend Liann
greenthumb99 & ecnalg
holly, ric, & JR
NisiNJ & friend
Ruby & John
Orchidfancy
Pippi21
stormyla
Gita
Scubasteve04

This message was edited Mar 13, 2011 10:03 AM

This message was edited Mar 29, 2011 5:11 AM

This message was edited Apr 30, 2011 9:09 AM

This message was edited Apr 30, 2011 9:23 AM

This message was edited May 11, 2011 9:21 PM

This message was edited May 11, 2011 9:26 PM

This message was edited May 16, 2011 8:17 PM

Thumbnail by aspenhill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8420208

I shall be there, its always a good time!

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8420630

I'll be there with bells on! :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8421312

Yes!! I'm ready for another MAG party!

Let me know if I can come down earlier in the week to help with anything.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8422368

I will be there, ( yes Robin you will ride with me!) Beware Terri, make sure you check me for a tent , I might come live by your pond.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8422621

Thank you for hosting it. I will be there.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8422705

Pat (ecnalg) and I will be there.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8423949

Yay! Looking forward to seeing everyone.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8424286

Ric and I will be there with GS JR in tow.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2011
9:29 PM

Post #8429641

Is anybody else interested in planting some oriental lilies this spring? I started a thread here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1164932/ so we could organize a group purchase. I'm looking at Sunshine Bulbs because they have good prices on 25-bulb bags and free shipping. :-)
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8446542

If it's okay, I would like to come to this swap, too. I did go to the one a couple of years ago at Rick and Holly's.

This year I would visit my friend (and college roomate MANY years ago) who lives in Finksburg, MD, then we would both drive down to VA. She loves gardens--flower AND vegetable--but cannot stay out in the sun long enough to garden herself. So I plan to plant her vegetable garden that Friday and then she will drive me ..and my plants..to your swap.

I usually have a good assortment of tomato seedlings (and love to trade for more). And if the winter snap we're having now doesn't kill my WS containers, I would have some flowers, too.

Thanks, Denise

PS. My friend's a pretty good cook..
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8447221

What fun to get to see you and your friend at the swap, Denise! Terri's place is has plenty of shady spots where she can stay out of the sun. :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8447334

Hi Nisi, I had some of your tomatoes last time- THanks! Glad you can make it.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2011
3:10 AM

Post #8457651

Nisi, so glad you and your friend will be able to come!
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8462120

Well darn! Holly was asking me if I might be able to make it to your plant swap so I had to go looking for the thread AND date! I would absolutely love it if I could make it but unfortunately that's the first weekend of our Open House here in Lexington :( I'll just have to make plans to get up there another time, maybe I'll get a private tour? :) I envy all those who will be able to attend - this is one event I'm really going to be sorry about missing!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8464028

ahem... in addition to the oriental lily thing, I'm about to place an order with BloomingBulbs for the astilbe they have at very nice sale prices. We're doing it on the same thread as the lilies: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1164932/

BB also has good prices on phlox (with free shipping) if you buy 15 of a variety... we did that a few years ago, and it worked out well. I lost too many plants last summer, so I'm looking at their phlox again this year. I especially want 'Laura', 'David', and 'Eva Cullum'. We should probably start a separate thread for splitting a phlox order, but for the moment we're talking about it on the same thread as the lilies & astilbe.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 1, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8464667

Wonderful...John was asking earlier this week if I knew when the Plant Swap was going to be. I can now fill him in. Thank you Terri for offering to host the event. I am sure that it will be lots of fun like all the others have been. Looks as though some great folks are coming too. Hope to see everyone there.

Ruby

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8470096

Debbie, I would have loved it if you could have made the swap, and I would definitely have liked to make your open house - maybe one of these days the timing will work out! Private tour anytime you are up this way and have time to stop in. I'll probably see you at the Green Springs Plant Sale if you are doing that again this year.

Ruby, I hope you and John can make it to the swap - I'd love to see you guys again.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 4, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8470630

Thanks Terri. We will try our best to be there. We have always enjoyed the ones we have attended in the past and truly regard it as a high light of our year. For a while I was away from Dave's and last spring contacted Becky and asked about a plant swap. We attended the one at her place and I have since spent almost a year now back and chatting with a truly wonderful group of folks.

At the first swap we attended at Hart's some years back, I was so impressed with the giving nature of everyone there. I can't recall other times when anyone was begging me to take some real lovelies off their hands. On a couple of occasions we have ended up with quite high dollar "trees" that folks have so kindly given us.

Another bonus of attending and participating in the swaps is that when gazing upon our gardens we are reminded of the special person at Dave's who gifted us with the plant. Many of you are remembered very kindly when I check m y gardens. Thank you everyone.

Ruby
orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8490983

I will be there with Pippi21 . l am looking forward to it ,Christiane
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8491493

Yippi! Pippi & Christi! LOL

I'm really excited about seeing everybody next month. :-)

I'm taking a few cuttings and potting up a few extra seedlings here & there, making sure I'll have something to post on the plant swap thread when it goes up.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2011
9:53 PM

Post #8491918

yay. I've also got pots going in the garden!
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8507093

Terri, I will do my best to attend. I'm dying to see everyone & your lovely property.!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8507276

Oh Stormy it would be so very good to see you.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8507634

woo hoo

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8518381

Hi all. I'll be starting the haves/wants and potluck threads this week. I'm counting down, and can't wait to see everyone.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8518500

yippee - I have a bunch of pots already out there, I just need to write down what I've got and post it, and then see what else I might want to pot up
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8518625

:-) Joyanna helped me get some cuttings today of Jasminum x Stephanense, and it looks like some honeysuckle cuttings we took earlier are rooting well in their pots. I'm going to try to label cuttings as I go this year so I'm not packing plants for the swap and wondering what they are!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8519033

Critter what Honeysuckle do you have?
I put together a list but I am finding a lot more plants to add to the list. not sure they are plants anyone wants but I have them. LOL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8519435

We'd better hold further chatter for the plant thread... (I have L. americana and the coral honeysuckle, both unknown varieties but I have ;photos I can post on the new thread). I know what you mean about finding out if people want things... don't want to pot up a bunch of crooked willow cuttings for example and then have no takers... oh, I do want black pussywillow, though! LOL, so much for not talkin' plants here.

Let's see, back on topic... oh, that's right, yes, I plan to come! I can come down earlier in the week or early that morning, too, if there's anything I can do to help out.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8519543

OMG!!!!!

I must have been playing Ostrich not to catch this Thread--now going for over a month!!!!
Shame on me!!!! Gotta look around more--now and then...

I AM COMING TOO!!!! Sally! Got room left for me????? I would die if i could not ride up/down with you!!!!

Aspen--please add me to your list!!!!

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8541897

The Potluck and Have/want thread links are in the first post (or just look for them in MAG). :-)

If you're coming, make sure you post in this thread and get your name on the list at the top, so Terri will know to Dmail you directions!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8542976

Catbird and Gitagal are riding with me unless they say otherwise.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8551277

Oopss missed the sign up thread...will be there with Thing 1 - or is she Twiddly Dee?

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
9:09 PM

Post #8551354

I respectfully claim 'twiddly dee'!!
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8553909

Hi, just saw this. I am interested in coming if I can get a ride. Is this swap in place of the one that Bec_No-Va has usually hosted? I thought I saw something about a Memorial Day swap, but I must be thinking of last year.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8554199

We try to share around hosting responsibilities for the spring & fall swaps... Becky offered again last year because the person who was planning to host wasn't able to do so. But yes, this is the "usual" spring plant swap! The date tends to vary a little, also. :-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8556480

Anyone coming from NJ--or Northern PA along the Eastern side...

I would like to offer my home as a half-way stop-over--if anyone wants. Nisi???

I can sleep 4 people--no problem...One Dbl. bed with private bath---perhaps for a couple??
and two Twin beds--upstairs--share bigger bathroom. I have a 3rd bathroom off my BR.
No one will starve for food! I prefer the "help yourself" concept...Easy!

I am about 2 miles off of I-95 at Exit 67B. (White Marsh Blvd. Rt. $43 West.
VERY easy to find!
Nothing fancy--just homey-comfy. Garden to rest your eyes in...Beer and wine available...

Please let me know if you would like to stay over--either coming or going...
You are welcome!!!! I know NJ is abut 2-3 hours from here. VA is another two?

I will ride up with Sally--who is about a half hour drive South from my house. We can caravan...

Might be a comfortable way to take a break...
I am off on Friday and Saturday--but do work on Sundays--9-6. You can get up as late
as you want--and lock the door when you leave...IKEA (5 minutes from my house)
has Sunday AM breakfasts for 99 cents---eggs, hash browns, bacon OR sausage,,,
Double the fare--and get a really good breakfast for $2.
coffee and drinks separate...Nice restaurant!

Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 13, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8560257

I am getting really excited now folks. So much fun!!! Gosh ya'll, I have seen so many great offerings and after I make my wishes known to those I just read about, I think that the back end of our car ought to be full to over flowing. Exciting!!!

The month of May has us invited places each weekend. So glad that the winter is behind us and that we can now all begin enjoying the sunshine and pretty blooms popping up everywhere.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Terri's. Thank you so much for offering to host this Terri.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8561076

Terri--

You have not mentioned if you will have a "Gift table"?????
Or--at least I have not seen it anywhere...Yes? No?

Thanks...
scubasteve04
Waynesboro, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8567530

Sorry I didn't make it to the this past Saturdays swap I was sick as a dog, but for those of you who were looking forward to the mushroom soil I will have it with me this weekend at Terri's. Oh by the way Terri I will be coming. LOL

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8567614

I second Gita's question -- are we going to have a gift table?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8567653

Steve you were missed. I was going to send you a D-mail to see if you were going to Terri's glad you will be able to make this swap. I won't be able to take any of your great soil but I do have plenty of plants for you.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8567848

mushroom soil? that's great stuff! are you able to get it bagged where you are? I can get it when I visit my folks in Pittsburgh, but nobody even knows what it is around here, LOL!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8567882

Mushroom soil? If there's extra would you please dmail me - size and price please and thank you?

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8567991

I sent directions and phone numbers in dmail. Please let me know if I've missed anyone. A couple people have asked about a gift table - I hadn't thought of that. If there is enough interest, we could definitely have one, but will it be too much with loading up with plants and food to think of also doing gifts?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8568070

It sounds like there are a LOT of plants coming to this swap, so I'm not sure we'd miss the "gift table" a lot if we didn't do one... if you think the logistics are easier without, that's fine! We'll do one in fall, anyway, because it's pretty easy to set one up near the front door as we've done at my place in the past (yes, I want dibs on hosting the fall swap!). :-)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8568116

Matters not to me...whatever is easiest for the hostess gracious enough to do this for all of us.
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8568160

At the Mt. Bethel swap last weekend they just asked whoever had brought gift table items to put their names in the container for a drawing. First name drawn gets first choice, etc. That way those who wanted to participate could, and those who didn't...didn't have to.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
2:51 AM

Post #8568599

Thats easy.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8568673

Nisi, that sounds like a great idea. So those who want to do a gift table, bring an item and we'll go with Nisi's suggestion.
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8568854

aspenhill wrote:Nisi, that sounds like a great idea. So those who want to do a gift table, bring an item and we'll go with Nisi's suggestion.

Oh, please--it wasn't my idea; I was just reporting on it. I have to give credit to DJ member Gardadore, who organized and executed the process. She even carried around the container to inform a person that his/her name was drawn, and then had THAT person draw the next name. (Everyone was in little groups talking.)
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8569905

Aspenhill--I am thinking I may not be able to make it. I have not secured a ride and I also will need to be home with my son due to my DH going somewhere this weekend.

Some folks have requested plants from me. If anyone of you are coming close on the way to the swap and can stop through Falls Church to pick them up and take them to the swap for me, that would be great.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8570167

Foxy, please let us know if you'd be able to come if you had a ride... surely somebody must be coming past your way.
scubasteve04
Waynesboro, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8571101

I am going to try and bring 2 scoops of the mushroom soil and a shovel so bring your 5 gallon buckets.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8571827

Cool! PLMK what you'd like for it (Dmail is probably best if we're talking $, so we stay on the right side of the AUP), or maybe I can swap you for some coir. :-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8572201

Jill---

I thought somewhere I saw you talking about Coir...
I have begun to be interested in it...Have played around with looking into buying it...
I do not know a lot about it--but seems it is great for many things gardening...

Did you do a "mass" purchase of it and have been posting about sharing it? +
Are you looking for people interested in sharing your purchase of it? For $$$, of course...

Perhaps--at some point of the Swap--you could step up and educate the rest of us about all the
wonders of Coir???? I sure would like to learn more about it...

Steve---

I would love to have some Mushroom Soil--but I don't think we will have room i the car for any...
There are 3 of us car-pooling in Sally's SUV--with all our plants and tables ans chairs...

I believe I could find, somewhere, around here to buy it by the bag...
Do you mind telling us WHAT exactly IS Mushroom soil????
What is it made of? Another opportunity to hold a quick PK on an important garden item.

See you all soon! Gita
scubasteve04
Waynesboro, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8572664

Gitagal, I live about an hour from Baltimore so if you want some we can talk at the swap and I can bring you a truck load. Talk to you on Saturday.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8572905

So that Jill doesn't have to do an impromptu seminar during the swap...

Mushroom soil - http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/mushroom-soil/

Coir - http://yourorganicgardeningblog.com/organic-garden-unlock-the-secret-of-coir-best-alternative-to-any-growing-media/

Google is your friend when you have questions :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8573088

No seminar needed, I wrote an article on coir a while back when I was learning about it: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2464/

I bought a number of blocks from onewish. :-)

I'm all excited because astilbes have arrived and I just got email today from Sunshine saying we will have our lily bulbs by Friday. I'll get them sorted out and let people know what they owe me (I think we only had 4 or 5 people in on the purchase, so it should be pretty easy to figure out LOL).

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8573409

Hoping to get out between the rains and start pulling up and assembling. I won't bring everything on my HAVE list unless its requested or special. Of course happy bring anything that is requested.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8573489

Sally,

I "get it! I get it!" Gonna try my darnest to follow suit...
That will be most difficult...but simple and effective if I can do it...

Have some errands to run--and then I will start tagging plants and seeing
what "might" fall into the "special" category...

LAST CHANCE here for anyone to go to someone's "Haves" list and ask for something!!!!

I am listening to the radio as I sit here...Do you know the World is going to end Saturday?
That will surely mess up Terri's Plant Swap! Bummer!!!!

Gita

Mu new Clematis I got last year...have to dig and find out the name---Lady...something...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8573862

Word of the Plant Swap has apparently gotten out to the authorities and they have put up electronic signs on Rt. 15 approaching Lucketts. ;-)

Thumbnail by greenthumb99

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8573976

Thats a hoot, greenthumb!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8574003

Ohhh----! Does that mean Terri is putting us all up until Sunday?
So we can SWAP till we DROP??????

Good one...G.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8574554

It is getting close, and maybe the rains have finally stopped!!! I have been frantically pulling weeds, and trying to get the beds in shape before Saturday but I'm not nearly done - oh well, just as long as the bathrooms are clean LOL. I wanted to set up everything to the back and side of the house, so we'd overlook the pond and my hillside shade garden, but we'll also be treated to a fine view of a dirt pile. After all this time, my conservatory project is finally underway and the foundation and basement walls were poured this week. It won't be ready to backfill until next week, so the excavated dirt will be part of the party... I'm hoping we'll have great weather. See you all soon!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8574571

Terri---

CHILLL! No one will care what there is to see or not to see.
NO ONE will judge you what is just so--or not perfect...

I have hosted many a HUGE party and I understand your stressing out...
I always stressed out as well. Everything HAD TO BE PERFECT!
Seeking everything to be just so----It is just something good hostesses do!
In the end---it does not matter...It is being with friends that matter...

The reward is--that, when everything is under way---everyone is happy!
And--No one cares about all the small imperfections...I, personally, prefer the
"Lived in" look at homes I go to. Makes ME more relaxed...
And--hopefully, YOU, will be able to relax and enjoy the company as well...
NOT easy--I know---Just try to do it...

Relax! Take a deep breath! Everything will be OK! We are all common folks...
We are ALL gardeners and dig in the dirt every day. Cleanliness is NOT
next to Godliness in a gardeners world! Perfection comes from a great garden
full of flowers and veggies etc...Weeds????? Well--They are also green ...:o)

Bless you for taking this on...Gita

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8574776

LOL Greenthumb.
Apsenhill, Can't wait to see your dirt pile. WOW an actual foundation. We haven't gotten that far with our GH yet. I just wish it would stop raining long enough for me to dig the rest of my plants out. I do have some but really all I need is one day with little to no rain so I can get plants out of the ground without being up to my elbows in mud.
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8574999

No joke, greenthumb?? If the world comes to an end on Saturday, I'd prefer to be caught at a plant swap! Shucks, I will not be coming this time. Froggy is out of circulation at the moment and I have decided to stick close this weekend. I'll save the plants for the next swap. Ya'll have a great time and I hope everyone gets something "special." It's always cool to get a new plant, even if it's something you had before.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8575001

Gita, I'm not stressing too much. I've been part of the "dirty little housekeeping secrets" threads that Sallyg started, so I know I am in good company :-)

Holly, I've been outside working in the rain, along with my husband and brother-in-law on one of the wettest days this week. I wish someone was here to take a picture of the three of us - grinning, soaking wet, and covered pretty much head to toe in mud - we were a site to behold.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8575021

I'm just excited to hear you've finally got that project underway... I know how you've looked forward to it and how much effort you've put into planning it! If there's one thing gardeners don't mind, it's "a fine view of a dirt pile," LOL.

How did it get to be Thursday night and just one more day before the swap? All the rain has limited Joyanna & me to mere "puttering" in the garden this week. I'll pull some chocolate peppermint tomorrow afternoon and bag it. Joyanna helped me pot a couple of 'Rose Petal' thyme and 'Hot & Spicy' greek oregano starts this afternoon, and I'll try to get soem more of those to share.

Bluespiral is stopping by tomorrow morning, and she says she is bringing over several bags of Sarcococca hookerii (Sweet Box, an evergreen shrubby groundcover for light shade). I'll bring some along on Saturday!

Terri, please call or Dmail me tomorrow and let me know what time you'd like me to come Saturday morning and what I can do to help you set up... it sounds like you've got things well in hand! I'll try to get my folding table into the car, maybe a card table also... let me know if you need me to bring a cooler, or a warming tray, or anything else!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8575364

Oh, I figured it always good for us to bring our own chairs along and planned to do so. THe weather looks to be great!!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8575865

I've got plenty of chairs if you want to save room in the car.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8575875

Thanks good to know!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 20, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8575946

Hello folks - I missed reading the threads for a few days and have missed out on the last minute excitement. Terri, everything will go fine. Is there a way for me to heat the baked beans at your place before putting them on food table? Just a warning, they will be Bush's Original Baked Beans, from a can, not a home made dish by any means. The potato chips are in a bag too, so hope this will be acceptable to all eaters.

Looking forward to seeing all you great folks tomorrow.

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8575977

You mean you're not making your famous double-fried fresh potato chips??? Well, I'm not eating any chip from a bag! Harumph! ;-)

Wow, you should see the pile of goodies Bluespiral unloaded from her car this morning. Looks like more than enough Sweet Box to go around... I'll try to untangle it and pack it in grocery bags for those who requested it. Wouldn't you know, this is also the day that a couple of big boxes of plants have arrived, so I'll be potting and sorting and digging the rest of the afternoon, I think!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8576860

LOL
I posted on the pot luck thread but will "here" too...anyone with an extra cooler or two that has room - please bring with...will be helpful in splitting up the sodas - thank you

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2011
3:27 AM

Post #8577034

Ruby, there are outlets for heating up your beans by the food table - so good to go. Can't wait to see everyone!
scubasteve04
Waynesboro, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2011
4:12 AM

Post #8577070

I have a pick-up truck and can fit an extra cooler in there.

This message was edited May 21, 2011 7:12 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8577108

I am bringing a cooler with some ice.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8577130

Great!! Thank u both!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8577150

Sounds like we're set on coolers... I might pack some plants in one just in case, but will probably bring a tub for mushroom soil instead. :-)

I'm putting things in the car and bagging a few more things that I thought of after dark last night (forgot to dig the lamium! and can get cuttings of my hardy geranium 'Biokovo', easy to stick and root). I'm changing my food contribution from bread & something to spread on it to crackers and something to spread on them, since I didn't get to the grocery LOL.

I can't wait to see everybody and meet some new folks, too!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8577173

One more cooler won't hurt should anyone see this in time :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8577192

I just cleaned mine out... will bring it!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8578003

Hope some of you took pictures. Sorry I didn;t get to go but definitely next year. I did get to go to the Master Gardener plant sale this morning before we went to the Gold Prospecting club. Then on the way home, we stopped at a plant sale, and I saw some plants looking like wild foxgloves (purple hanging slipper flower with white around the lip, growing on a bank so I had Bob stop, I ran out, climbed up, pulled one out & took it home but found a deer tick on my so had to take that out & disinfect my arm. Oh man do I get into situations. Safe trip home, everybody. Yes, it was wild foxglove (Ceratotheca triloba). Hope it survives when I plant it tomorrow and is worth the crap I went through to get it.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/897/

This message was edited May 21, 2011 5:17 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8578375

Buttoneer---

Just got home...
I missed my exit off of I-95--don't know how???? Distracted???

This caused me to drive 10 extra miles further to the next exit---
then the 10 miles back to mine...I can't believe I did it!

I took pictures--I think I was the only one...
Will try to upload them tomorrow--but i DO have to work 9-6...Tired...

Terri's place is amazing! Beyond words----She and her husband built thei big, house themselves...
That is also beyond words...

Good night for now...Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8578429

What a wonderful day. Can't thank you enough for hosting Terri. What a beautiful home and property. I got some very wonderful plants and had the best time talking and visiting. JR just loved the lake, so very nice of your neighbors to keep and eye on him for me. JR wants to come back tomorrow. LOL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8578430

Hope everybody got safely home tonight!

Here's a thread for swap photos, recipes, etc. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1183334/

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
3:11 AM

Post #8578823

Thank you everyone so much for coming. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and the company. It was good weather, good food, good plants, and great friends. I know I felt really, really, really happy yesterday - again, thank you so much for making a special day.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8579017

What a wonderful day! Thank you, Terri, for hosting and sharing your lovely setting with us. So much fun to see all who attended.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8579713

Thank you, Terri and Mike! What a perfect day, perfect host(s) and perfect place to have a swap! (We even saw Theismann mowing his yard when we were leaving!) I'm soooooo glad we 'gently convinced you' to hold the swap at your place - may you have many more! Message to your hubby from mine when I told him Mike's a Jet's fan - "what a fine human being he must be"!!! :-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8580266

I want to add--to all the above--what a generous, wonderful man Steve, and his GF,
was to bring a full scoop of Mushroom Soil in his P/U truck and then hand-shovel most of it into
Kitchen garbage bags (that they ALSO brought) for anyone that wanted any...

Those of us who took a few bags of this "garden gold" drove home with the
aroma of ripe manure wafting all over the inside of our cars...AAAHHHH...

Steve! You are MY kind of a human being!!! Bless you for your generosity, your caring,
and your hard work...

ONLY on Dave's Garden this would be done!!!!!

Please follow on to the "Pictures Post" Jill started. Link above.
I will post ALL the pictures I took...Beginning to end...
My apologies for some washed out shots. I have a very cheap camera--and it
does not pick up colors as it should...Gonna buy a new one---soon! Yeah????

Gita

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8580553

I had a wonderful time at the swap. It was great seeing everybody. Many thanks for all the plants. My special thanks to Terri who was a great hostess and made very body feel welcome.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8580588

Sally--et al---

Pictures and comments of the Swap are on this Post...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1183334/

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8581496

Gita, thanks are appropriate on any thread! But I'm glad you re-posted the link so we can continue chatting, sharing photos, posting recipes, and asking "who brought that beautiful little japanese maple I came home with?" (I know the answer to that... Terri's friend & neighbor, Cheryl Peyton!)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8581506

They were beautiful. I would have loved to bring one home, just didn't have a spot to put one.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8581542

I'm not sure I have a spot either, as such... but I am thinking I might try to bonsai it. I've got a little ficus "grove" that's been doing well for the past 18 months or so, so I'm ready to try my hand at something else. :-)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 23, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8581723

Hi All - Finally recovered enough to get on line and check out comments from the swap. Terri, you didn't have to tell us that you were happy because the smile across your face every time I saw you made that very clear. What a special hostess you were and it seems that everyone attending had another great day to add to plant swap memories.

I ate some of the tastiest food I've had for a long time. Am in hopes for a recipe exchange because I definitely want to know about the chicken kabobs, Sally's cole slaw and the scrumptious peanut butter bars.

Terri, if you and Mike ever need a way to earn some side money, renting your place out as a Bed and Breakfast would most likely go over grandly. When you retire from the high pressure job you currently have, that may be a thought for you to consider. I would definitely pay to use the grounds. Even though I didn't see the inside, I know that it is lovely because the outside was truly breath taking. Again, thank you for sharing it with us for the day.

Okay, off to check out the pictures.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8582601

I potted up a cute little red 'japanese' maple myself and since nobody requested I kept it home..and am thinking I should pot it up as a specimen.

I also keft redbuds home, and checked while riding the woods trail to be sure Aspenhill has some.

Ruby I'll get that cole slaw recipe going soon.
DH LOVED the banana bread!! Seriously! THree times he pointed it out to me and I said But there's too much choclate to get thru first.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 17, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8636863

Sally and all...speaking of the Red Japanese Maples... who had the several there at the swap? I saw them and hadn't requested one and didn't check to see who was offering them but now have some questions I need answered and thought the donor could possibly help.

So...anyone with experience propogating these babies, I would love to have some ideas. Thanks in advance.

On another note...to all who shared their wonderul plants with us...another thank you all so much. Most plants are still residing on my screened porch and will be planted in the fall when John likes to do it. I did want to report that most everything seems to be very happy and we are enjoying several things that are currently in bloom now.

Ruby

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2011
2:47 AM

Post #8637845

I planted the Clematis Va that Critter gave me. looks great.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8638078

Ruby- I often get baby Jap maples in my yard. I just pot them and let them grow, and assume that they are somewhat shallow and fine rooted. If your Jap Maple is making seeds, you'll probably get babies, unless they get mowed.

Yes sometimes it IS best to pamper the new plants in pots thru the summer. I have regretted throwing things right in the ground after a swap and not being able to keep them alive.

Ditto, thanks! I now have a lily blooming from Terri.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8638101

Ruby--

I think the maples were brought by Terri's neighbor/friend.
Not sure...???

Ask Terri what her e-mail is...

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8638409

My neighbor Cheryl brought Japanese maples. She has a tree that gets lots of baby seedllings growing underneath it. She just digs them up , puts them in a pot, keeps them watered, and lets them grow until she thinks they are big enough to put somewhere else in the yard or give away. If she just transplants the babies, they seem to get mowed. I think she keeps them potted up for a year or two.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8639427

Hey Terri, any idea on the name of the lilies you gave me? Blooming now and so charming! Got my Cheerfulness planted in a good spot too.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 19, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8639834

Good news from all. Actually Terri, John and Cheryl spoke about us possibly coming up your direction to visit her place at some point, so we can talk to her about them then. Thanks all. We have a Japanese Maple that someone very kindly gave us at Harts Swap many years ago. We love it and I would like to have a few more.

Our tree hasn't produced any seeds that we are aware of. May still be a bit young for that???

Anyways...thanks for the answers everyone.

Ruby

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8640426

Sally, the lillies came from Brent & Becky's Bulbs - lillium 'Tiger Babies', but I couldn't find a link in their current catalog, but found one in another vendor's catalog and in DG's plant files.

http://www.thelilygarden.com/pages_lilies/asiatic_peach_1.html
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/108441/
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8640466

Ruby, you guys better let me know if you come up this way! :-)

My little Japanese Maple got a few sun-spots on its leaves, but it's looking really cute... I think I'm going to use it as a potted specimen, also, maybe even try doing it as a bonsai if I can get up the nerve to shorten its tap root next year.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 19, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8640622

Critter...we will let you know when we make a trip that direction. Finding out that you live so close to Terri has now changed our minds about trying harder to get to some of the swaps that you host. I thought it would require an overnight stay, but now know that it is an easy day trip.

Heck, I really enjoyed meeting David and Pat too, who are also in the neighborhood, so we might just have a big ole party in your area before you know it. I definitely vote for Terry doing another one before too very long.

To David and Pat...I am really enjoying many of the beauties that you so graciously shared with me at the swap. Most are now in bloom and all seem healthy except for the May Apple seems to have a lot ofblemishes. Not sure if that will ultimately damage it or not.

Anyway...such fond memories of this latest swap. All of you are really such great people and we feel blessed to know you all.

Ruby

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8641158

Ruby,

Glad to hear that you'll be open to coming back this way again! If you need more May apples, we can fix you up with more, and more of the Elizabeth Campanulas too.

That was quite some afternoon at Terri's.

Pat

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8643342

Thanks Terri

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2011
2:28 AM

Post #8643950

terri--

I have Tiger Lily babies every year from the bulbils they produce.

I am wondering how many years they have to grow before blooming?
I have the tall, orange ones...

I just scatter the bulbils on top of a W-Box, cover with a bit of soil
and pile some leaves on top. Then--put it up against my house's foundation on
the South side and they grow over the winter...

This is what mine looked like in April. I had many of these at your swap...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 21, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8644517

I will let you know about the May Apple and the Campanula later on Pat. Thank you so much for the offer. Sounds good though.

Gita, I brought home a cup of your Tiger Lilies. I planted them with a pot that I already have growing which haven't yet bloomed for me. This is at least year number two for them. The older ones are over a foot tall and have the little black balls but as of yet haven't produced a bloom.

I can report that the Sea Oats you shared with me at some point are doing great and looking good. They are planted in a corner of one of my back beds and are about 18" tall and very lovely this year.

Yep, a wonderful memory to recall is the great afternoon spent at Terri's. I find myself telling a lot of my friends about the gorgeous home I visited in May. Great food, fun and fellowship. A car load of plants coming home was a great way to end the day too. You folks are the very greatest of the great. Don't ever forget it.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8644878

Ruby--

Be careful of the Sea Oats-----Their oats will blow in every direction--and they
all will sprout...everywhere!
Even the seedlings are wiry and hard to pull up. Very "invasive"...

I have started cutting off all the seed heads before they dry to prevent this.
Of course--mine are right nextt o a bed--so they all sprout up in this bed...

The bed right next o this is my "YUK bed"...YUK!!! YUK!!! YUK!!!!
I hate this plant by now...

Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 22, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8647330

While in town yesterday I was the passenger in the car and was taking in the sights along the ride. I saw Sea Oats planted near a rail road underpass on the hill where someone at some point has taken it upon themselves to plant a few different plants. I noticed that it was full of dried Sea Oats. I am now wondering if someone actually planted them there or if they blew in from someone's residence. So far mine are staying to contained to one area.

Interesting.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2011
2:08 AM

Post #8648346

Mine are still looking really nice and haven't spread much, yet.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8648478

Here is the West leg of my Yuk bed. The Sea Oats are in a
raised bed all the way to the right--next to that black pot.

A few hardy souls live in this bed--but, amazingly, they do.
Because of it's hodge-podge "jungle" look, the Oats are coming
up everywhere. If I work in this bed--I am always pulling them out.

You can see part of the trunk of the huge Silver Maple and how close
it is to this bed--making it 100% YUK.
This bed is the SW corner of my property. We all just have split-rail fences.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8648487

This is the Southern part of my YUK bed.

All the way to the left is my concrete Bird bath flanked by 3 Hellebores,
a Peony, and a Butterfly Bush all the way next to the bird bath.

Continuing along the same lines a lot more to the left--is where
I built my new raised bed.

This is an impossible bed to garden in. Digging just one hole
produces a pile of feeder roots from the Maple.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8648493

Some things that "thrive" in this bed id my Rosemary bush, Jill's Heliopsis,
Shasta Daisies, a lot of my Day Lilies, and Stellas.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8648497

OOps--I just realized I, once again, digressed...
but the talk about the Sea Oats got me going...

G.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 26, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8655627

This is all very interesting. About the same time I posted something here about the Sea Oats, I went in to the back garden one evening last week and noticed the stand was gone. I looked over the fence and there they lay. John had decided without discussing with me that they should be gone. If I hadn't just read that you hated yours so much Gita, I would have been a bit more miffed than I was. He doesn't know that I have a much smaller stand of them hiding in a bed out front...that is unless when I check on that bed, they are gone too. hahahaha

I have another dilemma that I thought I would throw out for this group and get some advice if anyone has any. NUT GRASS and what to do about it? John dug up the spot where it is the worst in our front flower bed and evidently didn't get all the roots and things because once again it is in the same area, thick as can be. Any ideas?

John just awoke from his nap and asked what I was writing. I was telling him the Sea Oats story and he was shocked and sorrowful that Gita had given them to us and he didn't want to kick a gift horse in the teeth. He sends his apology Gita. Anyway...he said the neighboring bull ate them this morning. So, watch out cows, that bull has had his oats today. hahahaha

Here is hoping that everyone is having a good Sunday and also hoping the upcoming week is good for everyone.

Ruby

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8655692

"watch out cows" ROFL! I didn't realized sea oats self-sowed other than around the parent plant. So far, the ones I passed along to my mom from Gita are doing fine and not making a nuisance of themselves... :-) As for the weed-grasses, it's possible to find grass-only herbicide (read the label to be sure none of your ornamentals -- like sea oats, for example -- will be affected in the area where you want to spray). It's sort of the opposite of the weed killer for lawns that kills weeds but not grass, LOL.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8655933

Hey!

I am having this issue with the Sea Oats because the stand i have is next to my
YUK bed. Yuk or not--it is still a bed--and the Oats are germinating all over...
They blend in so slyly! Nice and green, small, spiky leaves...upright growth habit---
VERY upright--on a wiry stem that hurts your hand to twist and pull!

I have dug up zillions and potted them and shared them--as many of you are now owners
of this grass...

The last 2 years--I have been cutting off all the oat clusters so they won't dry
and germinate all over...Still--I miss a few!

I think the ideal location for the Sea Oats would be somewhere near a waterfront property--
with the Oats planted by a sand dune fence along the beach...
It would look really rustic and just right! Anyone want a handfull of seeds?????

Just some musings...Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 27, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8658373

I tend to tickle a lot of you city gals when I speak of the cows outside our yard and my gardening woes due to them sometimes Jill. A few years back, Diana Wind was inquiring about some plants she shared with me and I mentioned something about cows and their big teeth gnawing on something and Wind got a real kick out of that.

Gita, your musings and the description of where the Sea Otas would look good sounds lovely.

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8658917

My mom grew up on a dairy farm, so I'm not such a city gal as all that.

I'm still trying to get plants into the ground this week! I had/have a lot of areas that need to be cleared out first (weeds really took over last summer), but I'm making progress out there. The number of pots on the patio is decreasing, but there are still an awful lot of little pots up on the deck that I'm hoping will be bigger & sturdier plants in time for fall planting.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8659983

What were those beautiful plants that Donner had. The Strep...something? I got one the other week at our HGHA picnic.
My pots are decreasing also. Just like you Critter something always seems to need done before I can plant. It's hardly ever just a matter of digging a hole and putting the plant in it.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8660077

Streptocarpella? Little blue blooms, small but thick and slightly fuzzy leaves?

My niece and nephew wanted to help plant a couple of the pots on the patio this morning (niece said she was "really worried" about the montauk daisies, thought they should be planted right away)... we headed to the garden with a shovel and digging stick, and I think they were startled when I started pulling weeds instead of just digging a hole at once, LOL.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8660263

Streptocarpus-----treat like African Violets...

Makes beautiful HB's--if you can have enough to fill one...

Easily propagated from tip cuttings.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/87659/

edited to correct link...

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 2:46 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8660277

Thanks Jill & Gita. Is this it?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8660285

Yes it is, Holly!

Don't over water--just like AV's...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8660408

That's it! Streptocarpus have larger, strap-like leaves and bigger blooms.. that's a Streptocarpella, I believe, and yes, both are related to African violets and like pretty much the same conditions. I seem to remember that I've also rooted tip cuttings in water. I've got a cute little pot of it going now that I got at DPF last Feb. Yours looks happy!

My pretty white & blue AV from Donner (Frosty Frolic, I think, must check its label) is still blooming away -- so pretty!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8662326

ruby you cracked me up!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8662941

Holly, your plant is lovely! The ones I took to the swap were streptocarpus "blue ice", related, but not quite the same. They are both related to AVs as Critter and Gita pointed out. Keep your plant in the small pot and do not over water it. It should do fine. Good luck.

Critter, yes, the AV is a Frosty Frolic. It is a real good bloomer.

Thumbnail by donnerville

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8662979

Gita, the gooseneck loosestrife that you gave me is blooming now - I"ve seen it in catalogs before, but never the real thing. I like it a lot - sure does look like a goose!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8662996

Terri---

Just remember---it CAN become invasive. Give it room to roam...

I hope you planted it in a spot where it does not matter.
Like--you lack space????

Then you can, really, have a flock of geese... :o)

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8663007

Here is the link to it in PF.

Make sure you read all the Member Comments at the bottom of it.
I have found that--no matter what the plant--that is where all the
best information comes from. Positive? Neutral? or--Negative.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/656/

Gita

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2011
3:08 AM

Post #8665596

Plant Files comments on the goose neck loosestrife are all three - the negative ones sure are passionate about its invasiveness. I planted almost everything from the swap on either side of the stone stepping path where the tents were set up - seemed like a good area to remind me of you guys and the happiness I felt when you were here.

I'll dig up the loosestrife and move it on the far side of the pond. I was thinking that at first, but I thought the one plant would get lost over there - well, it can spread to its heart's content along the edge - I doubt it would cross the creek/waterfall to the left or where the bridge is to the right. I will only have to worry about it going up the grass and into the woods. Comments on control said that mowing routinely around it would keep it in check. I also have extremely opposite experience with things that are rated invasive - just my luck that my intention where I put them IS for them to spread, and they never do (vinca, lily of the valley). It would be so pretty if that one plant did spread itself as a mass planting over there - I can just picture the "goose necks" swaying in the breeze, and the foliage is nice too.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 1, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8665988

Oh good...nice to see Donnerville and Aspenhill joining in on the chat. Terri, you and I must have the same sort of gardening thumb...I too have difficulty growing things that are regarded as invasive by others. Go figure!!!

Terri - may we remind you that we were all gloriously happy to take advantage of your hospitality. You live in a perfect setting for entertaining. I am really looking forward to returning to your area before too very long to visit Cheryl's place and of course see you gardens during a different time of the season.

Sally, glad I could give you a laugh...you have been responsible for me having the giggles more than once...glad to return the favor. Oh yeah...not sure if you are aware or not, but along with the neighbors cows often roaming by, we own two goats who are real sources of entertainment for all. Homer and Jethro are always good for a laugh or two. Never in one million years did I ever think I would be a goat owner. When John decided to purchase them to help clear the two acres our house sits on, and he brought them home and they weren't much larger than a large cat, I automatically fell in love with them. They are of the La Mancha breed and one of their characteristics is instead of having ears, they have little tiny nubs. They look almost space alienish.

Anyway...as always...love the dialog. Always good to hear from each of you and to learn while at it. Here is hoping that everyone will have a safe and wonderful holiday weekend.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 1, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8666159

I posted this on a separate thread and no one answered, so I thought I would try here. Don't know why I didn't do it originally. DUH!!! Anyway...John is wanting to know who gifted us with a Day Lily called Grace and Glory?

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8667483

some of the PF comments I think result from confusing two different plants because of their similar common names... gooseneck loosestrife is not the same as the very invasive (and largely illegal now) purple loosestrife. That said, I do have a purple-leafed lysimachia that spreads by short runners... while it might not be "invasive" by environmentalist standards, it can definitely be a garden thug. Thankfully, it's shallow-rooted and pretty easy to pull, but it will also come back from the littlest scrap of root.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8668038

confusing two different plants
Thats my only fear with PF- you do have to beware of "rogue" answers that don't fit the others. But despite that, its usually the best resource I've found -certainly the only place I know where you get real gardener feedback instead of what the seller tells you.
CRitter I have your purple leaf lys. (of course!) in two patches and yes if it creeps it is not so hard to deal with. Then lily of the valley- it creeps but slowly, but when you want to take it out its impossible!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 2, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8668148

Thanks for the education Jill and Sally. Always learn something when hanging out in Dave's.

Sally, I am posting a picture or two of a plant you gave us two years ago I believe. We don't know the name of it, but it is in full bloom now and is very pretty. I love the blooms on it. Any care tips?

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw

rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 2, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8668152

Another vantage point. I said something to John about getting his shadow in the picture and he informed me that it was done purposly in order for the yellow to show up truer to life than some shots we have taken of other things that tend to wash the color out. My bad!!!

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8668982

Speal of the devil- no not John LOL!!-- he's a teaser but no devil! thats the purple leaf lysimachia Jill just referred to also. I think the cultivar name is Firecracker. It looks really great for you! . Mine is in some shade .
Wanted to share this pic of Jill pink petunia , Mini Max Pink (right Jil?) that she brought seeds of, to share in February The blooms are small but the things are blooming their heads off , in afternoon sunny pots by my front door.

Thumbnail by sallyg

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8669339

Really cute, Sally! The great gal who runs Hazzard Seeds assured me that variety was a blooming machine. :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8670031

They are- have been non stop- I have trimmed them a couple times already to help them bush and they seem to always have more blooms to pop out.

I'm also enjoying the marigolds that Nisi gave me

Hey Jill- OT but- my Zombie Amaryllis is putting up a bloom stalk NOW, out in the garden!! It had one indoors (two last year) and I guess was *this * close to being able to make a second.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 3, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8670284

Speaking of Petunias...a couple of years ago I kept having some mystery seedlings starting in several of my houseplants. Being the good gardener I am, I decided to let them live just in order to see what they would be. After waiting a while the first year, I had a gorgeous pot of Lavender colored Petunia's grow. I also had these same seedlings begin growing in two or three of my outside pots but don't remember ever planting such a seed, especially not indoors. I have thought about it and can only figure that I was so pleasantly surprised by these lovelies by re-using potting soil that they may have been in a year before or a packet of the seeds somehow got mixed in some of my potting soil. Anyway...they were one of those pleasant gardening surprises that happen. Too cool.

Thanks for the id Sally. It is in full sun, as are most everything we grow. Have any tips for care and warnings? Thank you so much for it, I just love it.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8670550

Ruby---

Petunias that make seed pods--will often self-seed.
Some Petunias do--and some don't...depends on the variety...

When you see small Petunia seedlings coming up in spring--
just dig them up and move them to anywhere you want...
They will do just fine!

G.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 4, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8671773

I believe I can identify them earlier now. When they first started appearing, I almost mistook them for weeds. So glad I waited to see because they have given me some really pretty shows and also smelled especially sweet.

Thanks Gita. P. S. I started a few slips of African Violets yesterday, per your instructions. I also changed their location back to the original place where they were producing blooms for me. Again, thanks for all educational tips you have sent my way. I am very appreciative and may some day be able to return the favor.

Ruby

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America