Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Soil and Composting: Pine Cones

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 4, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
0rainwatersm
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8420686

I have tons of pinecones from a huge Fir tree in my back yard. Has anyone ever laid these on their garden beds as a mulch or should I just put them in the compost bin?

Thanks for your ideas!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
10:46 PM

Post #8423578

Seems like that would make a nice fluffy mulch. Good for keeping the soil cool, maybe not a great weedblock.
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8425022

lol Fircones does just sound wrong...

The only reason I can think of not to use a pile of them as mulch is if you're the sort of person who's always sticking your bare hands into the soil. Seems like it could be scratchy? If you were organized enough to wear gloves (and shoes) that wouldn't matter.

I'd guess they decompose a lot slower than most of what is in your compost bin, so probably that wouldn't be a good idea.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8427276

If you ran them through a chipper before composting, i would expect them to break down about as fast as wood or bark.

Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 22, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8444270

I have both fir cones and Ponderosa cones and I run them through my Debris loader (shredder) and put them in the compost for soil structure. They take about a year or two to break down. Makes a great hotels for worm and salamander families. I usually produce about 6 yards of start that breaks down to 2 yards a year so I compost everything but sticks. I have used them for mulch but they don't hold in the moisture and arent too pretty when shredded. Many different shapes and ugly.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America