Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Decorating Houseplants: Donít limit yourself to holiday displays, decorate your plants every day!: Additional Ideas

Communities > Forums > Article: Decorating Houseplants: Donít limit yourself to holiday displays, decorate your plants every day!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Decorating Houseplants: Donít limit yourself to holiday displays, decorate your plants every day!Replies: 3, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8420849

One day while shopping I fell in love with and bought a very life-like stem of silk orchids. Once home, I couldn't figure out what to do with it. Then the idea came to me to plant it in the middle of a large spathiphyllum (peace lily). I liked the look so much that I left it there for years. Several people complimented me on the blooms, some even thinking they were real.

One of the most attractive ideas I've seen was a tall ficus decorated with a string of white miniature lights. It was in the corner of a dining room pictured in a magazine article. The look was glamorous yet demur - and definitely bling.

Nice article!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8421278

That's a great idea, adding silk flowers to peek out of a foliage pot! My daughter has been decorating some non-blooming christmas cactus plants by sticking little pinwheels in their pots -- it's colorful, but not nearly as elegant as your orchids!

I've had lights on my ficus, but not for a few years now (it outgrew its first string)... I may have to go digging in my Christmas box and deck it out again. You're right -- it's a good look.

Thanks for your comments!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8421302

Thanks, critterologist,

The long, fairly straight stem of orchids seemed a good fit for that particular plant. I was surprised at how many visitors, when looking at it from across the room, thought those were actual blooms. The pinwheels sound cute, too.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8421325

LOL.. I'm not surprised anybody thought they were "real" blooms, especially as I'm sure you have other beautiful plants that really are blooming. I recently had a friend do a double take thinking one of my little decorative birds in the ficus tree was real... :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Decorating Houseplants: Donít limit yourself to holiday displays, decorate your plants every day! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
So, I'm not the only one? plantladylin 20 Jan 5, 2009 3:11 PM
Nice one!! threegardeners 1 Jan 1, 2009 11:59 PM
Hey phicks 1 Jan 1, 2009 11:59 PM
What fun!! Sunflower1888 1 Jan 6, 2009 7:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America