Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: Azomite (any feedback?)

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 28, Views: 445
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

March 11, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8420999

I just heard about Azomite, a mineral supplement that is supposed to be really amazing. Here's the website: http://www.azomite.com

Anyone have experience with it? Perhaps there's already a thread started about it?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8421036

I have just started to use Azomite on my tomatoes transplants outside and they are growing really fantastic.
Lots of green growths.
But it maybe too early to judge.
So far so good.

The tomatoes in the pictures are about 2' tall and wide. They were transplanted out 20 days ago and they were only 6" tall. The plants also have started to bloom.

Could it be a coincidence or just luck!

(By the way is really hard to see in this picture the beautiful healthy color of the plants)

This message was edited Mar 11, 2011 7:10 PM

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8423109

I'm trying to find a supplier near me here in Maryland. Its to heavy to ship, the postage is going to cost more than the bag itself.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8423249

yehudith, There is a dealer in Rockville.

I have a quantity to apply soon when the weather warms up more.
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

March 13, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8423980

Indy and yehudith: What is your experience with Azomite, or is this your first time using it?
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8424045

drthor
Did you apply the Amozite as a top dressing around your tomato plants or did you put it in the hole before you put the transplant in it, or some other method?
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8424065

And how much do you use for each tomato plant?
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8424195

I haven't used it yet, but I've heard good things about it so I want to give it a try. I've also heard very good things about using rock dust. We have a quarry close by in Va. and alot of granit suppliers within a few minutes of my house so I'm going to get some and try it. I just got my order of kelp and fish fertilizer, and crab shells and kelp meal so I want to put them on the garden today as well as planting my peas, just finished the leek seedlings. I found a place here where I can get alfalpha and dried molassas. 50lb bags/$14. I'm ecstatic. Well, back to digging out the forsythia hedge/going to be asparagas and vining veggie bed.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8424509

I have sprinkled a little bit of Azomite on the hole before transplanting my tomatoes.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8425356

This is my first time applying it. I applied it around the fruit trees this winter so I have no results to report yet. I plan to apply it in the gardens in the rows and work in a bit to get in down where the roots are...which is likely important.
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2011
1:58 AM

Post #8425551

Indy

Where in Rockville, do you know?

I want to grow all our own, so anything that will boost production that's organic I'm in for.

I'm so glad we started to dig out the forsythia hedge, especially the one around the deck. Some of the wood (the forsythia) had been invaded by termites! This whole neighbourhood has a massive problem with termites. Our exterminator says its because of all the trees and that they are too close to the houses and over grown so the termites use their roots to gain access to the houses. I can believe it, everywhere we had that dratted tree in the front yard touching the house and the garage is where they found the termites. After they sent us the documentation from their office I had my husband read it and let me tell you, after 1.5 years of begging him to help me get the things out he grabbed the chain saw. Good thing because as I said all of the dead wood in the bushes had been invaded by the termites. The fools that owned the house before us had planted them right under the deck so we had to crawl under to get to the roots. Still got 4 or 5 under the deck to go, then well go for the ones along the side of the house. That's going to be a nightmare because they planted the forsythia infront of a yew hedge planted right up against the house that's tangled up with a wisteria. Oh joy! Well, atleast I'm getting in my aerobic exercise and plenty of vitamin D.
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

March 14, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8426822

I've had a hard time finding a local source for Azomite, but my local co-op can get Redmond Conditioner. Has anyone used this product? It's loaded with trace minerals.

Here's the website: (It's listed after the mineral salts, at the bottom)

http://www.redmondnatural.com/index.html

Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8426859

Below is a listing by state for Azomite dealers.

http://www.azomite.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=69&Itemid=54#indiana
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

March 15, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8428104

Thanks, Indy.

Looks like there're sources in West Lafayette and Bloomington (closer to me). Looking at the analysis for Azomite and Redmond Conditioner, they are very similar in most mineral PPM. My local feed co-op can get Redmond, and I'll have to drive to Bloomington to get the Azomite, but I might just try both to see if one is better. There sure are rave reviews for both!
conversetom
Lebanon, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8428366

Northern Kentucky Worms Way has Azomite in stock in powder form

Kathy
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9108009

Supposed to be pretty good stuff though I've never used it. So doe's anyone have a verdict?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2012
12:53 AM

Post #9108082

This is the second year I am using Azomite.
LOVE IT !
astcgirl
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9108212

I used Azomite last year also and had great success. Especially with pepper plants and plants that just looked sickly, it seemed like it was the missing link of minerals or something. I can't explain what it did but I'm using it again this year.
hornstrider
Hutto, TX

May 3, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9108305

I used Azomite for the first time this year. I added quite a bit to the bed along with compost, green sand, alfalfa pellets, and tomato tone. Then at plant out I also put a couple of tbsp's in the hole along with tomato tone, epsom salt, and mycorrhiza. I must say my tomato's really look good, I mean really good. I have been picking Stupice maters for about a week now, and last night I picked 6 Indian Stripe, one Cherokee purple, and one Big Beef. For sure I will use again. I am impressed.

First picture taken on March 6th

Second Picture taken on April 28...three months makes a big difference!!

Thumbnail by hornstrider   Thumbnail by hornstrider
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9108330

Dean, for me the jury is still out. Too soon to deliver a verdict. My experiment was to add Azomite to one raised bed and not the other. I can see a subtle difference in the height of the plants between the beds, the bed on the left as you look at the picture, got the Azomite. But they are not the same plants in both beds. The left bed is Black Plum and the right bed is San Marzano. A true experiment, to better prove results, would have exact factors. Black Plums may simply grow taller than San Marzano's. The pH pings at 7 in both beds.

I sprinkled Azomite in all the beds, everyone is happy and I should have an abudnant harvest soon.

Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9108620

Sounds good everybody. I may have to look around to find a bag locally.

Thanks Mary!
hornstrider
Hutto, TX

May 3, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9108737

Dean_W...you can purchase at Third Coast Horticulture in Austin. It's on Burnet Road, and Greenlawn Pkwy.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9108750

mi gusto! It certainly can't hurt!!
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9109016

Thanks, never heard of Third Coast Horticulture I'll check into it.
hornstrider
Hutto, TX

May 3, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9109026

Dean...talk to shawn the owner...he is a dirt guru
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9109029

Okay, thanks hornstrider, I really want to check that place out now.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
10:33 PM

Post #9111049

O no Horn, here we go again...LOL

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9130476

I had a soil test done which included microminerals and my soil was completely lacking many micro minerals, which is not unusual for this area. I purchased a bag to dust my edible growing zones this winter. I wasn't having any trouble with productivity before, but we'll see how it goes.

I wouldn't go overboard on it -- it does contain microminerals which are toxic, like lead.
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2013
4:26 AM

Post #9722396

for anyone looking for azomite and can't find it I just ordered from Amazon. It was a reasonable price and because I have a prime membership the shipping is free. They also have a lot of other great supliments that can be ordered with a prime membship. I'm building my stocks now so I can get going early in the spring.

Yehudity

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America