Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: ID: bulb?..rhizome?..tuber?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 38, Views: 257
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2011
2:50 AM

Post #8421721

I tired to post a pic of this in the BULB forum, but I found a better picture to post in here. We found this while clearing around the foundation of the place we bought last summer, 2010. It is some sort of SC weed/vine. The neighbor calls it a "bamboo vine", but I find nothing listed online for that. It grows really fast, 1" -2" a day, has green vines with thorns, and sproadic heart shaped vari colored leaves.

Thumbnail by moxies_garden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8421879

Possibly Smilax laurifolia Catbriar, bamboo vine

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2725/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8422090

If so it is HORRIBLE! I've helpd my sister fight it in FL, and 'we' are losing. Locals down there also called it bamboo.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8422177

Yes sallyg!! It sounds like you have dealt with it too! Up here, neighbor calls it "bamboo vine"...but I have found no online info connecting it to bamboo at all. Maybe I need to send this one to the local extension for Clemson, the Herbology Dept.
What I have managed to chop and dig up...I burn it. I don't know if the pieces can sprout new growths on their own.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8422261

Possibly because of Smilax auriculata being called Wild Bamboo

http://www.dickbrewer.org/OGWITonline/vines.pdf
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8422279

Check out moonhowl's links above. Also take a look at the below link. Do any of them look like your plant?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/179421/

This message was edited Mar 12, 2011 9:34 AM
Malus2006
Coon Rapids, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 12, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8422342

Hmmmmmm those look a lot like canna to me. maybe you have canna mixed with Smilax?
/photos/16402403@N00/4220486525/
http://addins.kwwl.com/blogs/thedirt/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/canna-bulb.jpg

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8422359

This vine makes tubers and that makes it tripley hard to eliminate. The tubers can develop rght under a bush and then send up a shoot. Murderous! Evil! The bamboo name has nothing to do with the plant above ground appearance.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8422367

According to the South Carolina native Plant ID site, it is Smilax laurifolia

http://www.scnps.org/plantid.html
Malus2006
Coon Rapids, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 12, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8422409

Figures - its odd how this and Canna have very similiar tubers
/photos/16402403@N00/5300348301/

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8422413

Yup, Malus. That is why I have such a hard time IDing things from pictures...too many things look alike...GRIN
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8422567

"Smilax Rotundifolia" ...according to the pictures of the vine and leaves. The roots do not match up, as the ones I found have varigated layers. But, I bet that is what it is. I will dig one up and see what happens when I try to sprout it in a pot of soil. The rest of them, going in the burn pile.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8422651

You could if course have Canna roots with Smilax sprouts coming up from underneath. I think you would remember the huge Canna stems and leaves if you were clearing there last summer. You'd have to use loppers to cut them off. In any case, make every reasonable effort to clean out Smilax tubers before permanent plantings.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8422669

sallyg wrote:You could if course have Canna roots with Smilax sprouts coming up from underneath. I think you would remember the huge Canna stems and leaves if you were clearing there last summer. You'd have to use loppers to cut them off. In any case, make every reasonable effort to clean out Smilax tubers before permanent plantings.

We have several feet of canna growing out in the back 40 here. I haven't touched them yet. They died off during frost, and haven't started up yet.
As far as Smilax, it is everywhere, all over this 1 acre. Neighbors have it too of course. I have been spraying it with Roundup weed & poison ivy killer, then digging up the tuber. I have found so many just in the 9 months we have lived here. I spray the vine and leaves, then go back and dig up later.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8422719

Is catbrier and sawbrier the same thing? Luciee

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8422726

They are both Smilax, but sawbriar /sawbrier is Smilax glauca

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinlabar/sets/72157615005800447/

This message was edited Mar 12, 2011 4:44 PM
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8422738

Thanks, Moon. I tore my arms up and nearly cut a finget off with my chain saw trying to remove sawbrier. I had to cut down some sapling trees to get rid of them. The tip of the chain saw grabbed my glove on the other hand, the one I was using to move vines out of the way. I did not tell DH for a while. Also the briers ripped my arms open. They cut through my workshirt. The area is now a shady garden. That was about 10-12 years ago. I HATE sawbriers!!!!!!!!! Luciee

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8422749

My first encounter with Smilax was a plant called Bullbrier, Smilax tamnoids. About a pint of blood later, I had it out of my flower bed...only to discover it growing in a couple hydrangeas...GRRR. Now I have my DH dig it out of the garden...his curses are more inventive than mine...GRIN
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8422871

My DH has lower back problems and can't dig anything out. It is all he can do to run the tractor over the garden spot. He is a sweetie and helps anyway he can. After all, we are old people now!! Luciee
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8422999

OK, THIS picture tells me everything I need to know - I dig out dozens of these every year on my property. I have broken a ditch-digger's spade trying to pry these evil tubers out of the ground. You are so right - they grow UNDER tree roots and even the devil would have a hard time getting them out - they snap easily and are rooted very deeply - just a pain in every way!!
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8423515

KayJones wrote:OK, THIS picture tells me everything I need to know - I dig out dozens of these every year on my property. I have broken a ditch-digger's spade trying to pry these evil tubers out of the ground. You are so right - they grow UNDER tree roots and even the devil would have a hard time getting them out - they snap easily and are rooted very deeply - just a pain in every way!!

Oh dear. It sounds like I am in for quite the experience to try to remove these things. I may just start using roundup full strength on them. They are evil nasty things...from the experience I have had already with them.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8423522

Killing the stems and vines w/Roundup is useless unless you can kill the tuber at the same time. You might try some brush killer instead. It seems to be stronger, especially for woody plants. For example, it does a great job on blackberries.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8423534

Kay, I just noticed your location. I had my tour of duty (with Smilax) pretty nearby in the Pensacola environs. and that's probably not all that far from the LA and AL victims of this 'plague' !!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8423668

Smilax will only laugh at Roundup - you have to DIG these up and get ALL the roots - they run by offsets/runners - dig, baby - dig!!! I'd find a big strong guy to get out there and do it for you.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8423812

I use a mix of Roundup and Dicamba...it killed all the asian jasmine planted around the foundation of our house..only thing, Dicamba does stay in the soil so you want to use caution about using it in flower beds. Here is some info on getting rid of Smilax

http://www.ehow.com/how_5066884_use-honeysuckle_-smilax_-wild-rose.html

http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_control_woody_vines/
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8423835

Well, the ones I have sprayed round up on have died...I just found the rest of them when I hosed the bush stum off. The weather is warming up nicely here...so, hacking them up with a pick axe is on my list of "to do's". Dig, spray, hack/chop.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8424358

Moxie, the roundup will kill the foliage/vine, but not those starchy, nasty roots - I dug some out of my fence line that weighed 8 pounds EACH - now, that's BIG!
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8424388

Hey, Moon, thanks for posting those 2 bits of info. My sawbriers are stiff coming up occasionally where I tore my arms up. But I still stay after them. That was too much trauma to let it happen again. The birds eat the berries and drop seeds, anyway. The county agent man had said to cut them off at the ground and when they came back out spray with strong round-up. I did not waste my round-up like that. I just did it the hard way, cut and burn. As Moxie said, dig,spray,hack and chop. Luciee
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2011
2:09 AM

Post #8425555

KayJones wrote:Moxie, the roundup will kill the foliage/vine, but not those starchy, nasty roots - I dug some out of my fence line that weighed 8 pounds EACH - now, that's BIG!

8 pounds!! That is almost unbelievable!! Those are nasty evil things...and I have never seen such a thing. I plan on taking the pick axe to the one bunch today. I checked them again yesterday...and they are all brown and sunburned looking. I don't know of it from the sun exposure, or the roundup.
I had the round up (Poison Ivy) spray around anyway...we have lots of that too. Anyway, fiance noticed it said for tough weeds too. I think this smilax qualifies as a tough weed.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8425639

If you don't get all the little pieces, you can say hello to all new plants! I would HIGHLY recommend you NOT USE a pick ax to chop the roots out - better to dig with a shovel and your hands to get the whole tuber out in one piece.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8426118

Too late. Here are the remains of the evil spawn Smilax. I just dig and hack and locate all the little nasty pieces. Not too hard to find in the soil here. Mostly sand.

Thumbnail by moxies_garden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8426124

My goodness. Doesn't that give ya a real sense of accomplishment? GRIN
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8426198

Grumble-grumble. Stoopid things. I had no idea they even existed. and here all this time, I thought kudzu in the South was a bad thing. lmao

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8426254

Sorta like discovering Kudzu has an evil twin...with thorns.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8426638

Looks like a bag o' taters out there drying on my sidewalk. =))
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8430189

Apparently you CAN eat some kinds of Simlax. This guy explains really throughly which one you can eat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ccDW8vUrqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b-DyO28srg

I hope the links work for you, they did on my home computer the other day - but not on the one here at work...

moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8430578

Plants4> I watched the youtube smilax..he is great for identification. Aparently, there are 300 different kinds of smilax (?) Mine have the thorns and varigated heart shaped leaves, and of course, the very fibrous tubers. I don't think I want to eat them though.
Lupala
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8431045

Sounds like a nasty plant family to deal with.How does cardboard mulching work after digging the area up to stop new stuff/small stuff?I doubt even 10 layers would stop the full growth, but might help for young stuff if kept up for a year or so?
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2011
1:13 AM

Post #8431796

Lupala wrote:Sounds like a nasty plant family to deal with.How does cardboard mulching work after digging the area up to stop new stuff/small stuff?I doubt even 10 layers would stop the full growth, but might help for young stuff if kept up for a year or so?

I'll just keep after it with herbicide and pick-axe. It is everywhere here. I went out and walked the perimeter of the acre to spot the new growths for the year. Some, I won't be able to dig...just spray. That's pretty bad when the weeds have to compete for sunlight and nutrients... =))

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America