Photo by Melody

Garden Talk: New Bees 03/12/11 friends - new and old...Come on in...

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 306, Views: 1,837
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8422280

Spring has arrived in many parts of our world... others are still buried under snow. Tell us your plans for Spring as you get out of the cabin fever slump and play in the dirt again...

This is the place to chat and hang out and share with friends - new and old...

Any links you all want me to add to this let me know!

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152857/

Come on in...

Direction for free seeds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1141449/

Newbies that get lost and found here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Beds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Thumbnail by locakelly
Click the image for an enlarged view.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8422287

Al, I am glad you are safe my friend and enjoying your trip!

Please keep the people of Japan in your prayers as they deal with the devastation from this earthquake...

Well, I feel a wee bit better today, I think. When I saw my doctor I had her check my EKG and stuff as I am still having "chest pain" in my left side. Of course all the tests still look normal, so I am wondering if it can be stress related at this point... No pain when at rest, not unless I move a certain way or like open a heavy door. Is it possible to pull a muscle in that area? That's almost what it feels like is a pulled muscle. Ugh. I did do a lot of watering and stuff the night before but nothing "heavy". Of course this feeling is not totally new either. Just sucks not knowing what it is. I also have a feeling like my lungs are full of crud that I can't cough up, like when you have bronchitis and such. Chest x-rays are clear so maybe it's the recovery from smoking. I think I will follow up this week with the cardiologist I saw last year, get him all the new tests and see what he thinks. I think a lot of it is the stress of worrying about it, but then again I don't want to be nonchalant. The Yorkies know Mommy is not feeling well - I'm getting lots of extra attention and puppy kisses;o) The Storm is on my lap as I type...

I asked the doc to prescribe me something for "stress" - since I'm not a pill taker that tells you this has gotten to be too much for me - lol. I did not take the Ativan Thursday night as I wasn't sure how it would effect me and working the next day. I did start the Wellbutrin yesterday. Doc said several weeks for full effect but should feel a difference in 10 days or so. I felt a little less bummed yesterday but I'm sure that was purely psychological. Took the Ativan last night about 30 minutes before bedtime, fell asleep and woke feeling OK. I was worried I'd have some hangover feeling or something.

I plan to do some laundry today and get the rest of my overgrown neglected tomato transplants in the ground. Some of the neglected broccoli went to seed as well in all the hot weather we've been having so need to watch out for all the dang bees around too. They seem to not bother me too much, just fly around.

Enjoy your weekend friends!

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8422328

Still enjoying our vacation. Flying out today. Last stop will be Hilo on Hawaii Big Island for three more days, then home.

We ate at Bubba Gumps Shrimp Company on Lihana Beach last night. It follows the Tom Hanks film theme Forest Gump movie. I had a mashed potato with chopped garlic greens, layered with charcoal broiled Mahi Mahi fish, bourbon shrimp, and chopped bruchetta tomatoes. It was a whole huge platter full for just $20! Delicious.

Everything fine here, don't worry too much about us, we're living well.

Aloha
Al

ldblond
La Quinta, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8422553

Hi! I found Dave's Garden years ago and used it as a reference on and off. But it wasn't until yesterday I received the ultimate gift and became a full fledged member and I'm so excited!

My gardens are pretty bare I have a few roses and iris, but I want to learn as I go and incorporate healthy, annuals and perennials that are easy to take care of and drought/heat tolerant as I live where the summers hit 120 easily.

I have some gardening experience but really I'm a beginner and am looking forward to listening, learning and interacting with the gardeners here on DG.

Ld blond
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 12, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8422587

Welcome Idblond! So happy to have you join us! You will find that the people here are a wealth of info and love to help! (I'm not one of the smart ones, lol, but love everyone's help) And we all love making new friends! When you get a chance, please start posting pictures of your yard and gardens. We love looking at every yard, no matter how bare, and watching them transform lush and beautiful masterpieces! (Mine isn't one of those yet either, lol)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8422678

WELCOME IDBLONDE! So glad you are now a true DG'er! You will have no problem getting help on here. Also there are lots of plant and seed swaps to help you enlarge your gardening experience. Be sure to visit this thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160896/, and follow the direction in the top thread to help you get started.
I look forward to seeing you around!!!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8422717

Welcome IDBlonde You are going to love it here. Welcome Aboard our wacky ship...☺

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8422741

Welcome Ld blond;o) Glad to have you on board...

Charleen, I ♥ ♥ ♥ your cut little tulips!!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 12, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8422979

hi ld blond we all love new people glad to meet you.you will like dg. we all do love nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 12, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8423004

al tou will starve to dearh when you get homr no garden grown maters anywhere around for for a while.im whining cause that ice and snow broke the top out of my big red camelia bush looks so sad going to have to cut half of it down hurts me to do that but can,t be helped. nettrie so glad you and wife are ok im just a big whiner can,t help myself.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2011 11:20 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8423113

Touch of Nature is where they came from. Beautiful, aren't they???

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8423391

They are gorgeous! They must be species tulips and not require too much chill if they look that gorgeous in GA!!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 12, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8423474

kelly thank you for the new thread i have some things blooming in the yard no time for pictures now may try io get some later love and hugs nettie. hope every one is doing well. imm doing ok just don.t have much energy for some reason.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 12, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8423499

rrm have you seen mekos i looked all over she may have gone to bed think im going also. love and hugs to all nettie good might.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8424569

We're in Kona today, on the opposite side of Hilo on Big Island. Would you beleive it, they make Kona coffee here! Rugged terrain from black volcanic rock, like landing on the moon. Totally different from the other islands, a lot of jagged rock. A little sand beach here is completely jet black. Volcano Park is still closed to visitors due to safety concerns. They have a volcanic gas there that they call "VOG", similar to what we call smog but worse. So far, we haven't been too concerned but it causes respitory problems for some people when the wind blows just right.

Still a beautiful place, having a great time.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8424820

She's probably busy Nettie. She will be back as soon as she can. She has been thru a lot of stress and needs a rest.Love you, Charleen
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 13, 2011
10:43 PM

Post #8425516

rrm i think im going to order 2 six packs of those sureina petunbia that way i can one of each color. ivce got to get off puter cause we havr a storm comming love and hugs nettie good night.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2011
2:10 AM

Post #8425556

We drove to the Kilauea crater rim today, but restricted from the lava flow area of the national park. You can see some execellent pictures on their website though, try this:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov

We saw the main steam vent on top of the mountain, it was awesome sight.

Al

This message was edited Mar 14, 2011 4:11 AM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8427891

WOW ... that's cool
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8428652

Vacation's over folks, thanks for putting up with me for the last two weeks. Ate a great breakfast this morning, we have 12 hours of travel time ahead of us and will gain six hours in time zones on the way home. Catching a plane, will talk later.

My Last Aloha from Hawaii,
Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8429219

Was great Al, so glad you enjoyed your trip.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 15, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8429407

What a memorable vacation you had, with so much excitement! Glad you had a great time! Will be glad to have you home too, tho!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 15, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8429582

hi all sure glad al and wife are on their way home mised them glad they had a good time i know they ate good can,t wait to see all the pictures al takes good pitcures so exciding. have garden club tomorow afternoon so will not be on until night time. going to the citl friday have a gift carde for lows going to have some fun.can hardly wait to see all the plants they have in.saw a few of them earler in the week im nuts i think i have a bad case of spring fever or plant person just can,t help myself. love and hugs nettie.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8430090

Hi guys.. Al sure glad you enjoyed your vacation.. Seems as if you went to Hawaii during an active time , with volcanoes and tsunamies, glad you and the wife made it back safely.
Locakelly hope you are feeling better. Chest pains are very scary.
Mekos im so sorry to read about Wes. You and your family continue to be in my prayers.
My son Caleb that was burned had surgery on the 7th for tissue rearrangement and z-plasty on his rt hand and was in hosp at Childrens for 3 days he has been in alot of pain since then, but we go back tomorrow to see the dr and to take the dressings off to see how his hand looks now. They also used the new laser technology to smooth out scarring on other parts of his body from the burn. They look better but will require a few more treatments. So pray that when the dressing comes off all will be well. They are hoping to recover at least 90% use of hand which will be wonderful..
My irises are starting to bud out I have a yellow one in bloom today.. Yesterday I noticed theat my brug I left in the ground during the winter has started to put out leaves also.. I have lilies and hosta up everywhere.. ok guys Im on my way outside to see what I can get done today.. hugs Trish
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 16, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8430150

Trish, will be keeping your family in my prayers, and wishing a full recovery for your son. I have no doubts that God can make that happen, and we are praying for just that!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8430871

Whew, we made it back home alive! We went from 83 degrees to 41 in 12 hours! Kind of tired, but glad to be home. Plenty of pictures and memories to sort out later. I think I need a nap, or a coffee, or something not sure what.

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 16, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8431477

hi everyone im back and i am beat op bumed out of my mind lost one of my fure criters the bid o the 20 year old cat went to the pet cemetary.that would be out by the pond under the big pine tree. i hate it when one of the pets pass on. i wlll miss him for a long time he sleeped on my feet.znd the yorkie fluff sleeps on my head.if im lucky he will go sleep on my feet. ill talk td him about that. they never sleep where you need them to.had to take shorties little toys and put them up he was driveing me nuts soueeking them wish he didn,t learn how to do that. just can.t handle that noise.im so glad al and wife are home. love nettie

This message was edited Mar 16, 2011 8:28 PM

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8431492

Thanks huney - some days are better than others;o)

Glad you and the DW are home Al - sounds like you had a blast and I am looking forward to the pictures...

Nettie, I'm very sorry about your dear fur baby. 20 is very old for a kitty and I'm sure you gave him a great life. Hugs my friend.

I'm beat and about to call it a night.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 16, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8431557

thank you very much they are like my children. i wish i didn.t love them so much. i need to get myself back om track, need not to cry everytime i wake up to feed that cat he couldn,t remember eating and would make me get up in the midle of the night. and feed him/and of course i would do it im a push over. love nettie.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 16, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8431584

huney im praying your son gets better every day my dh ask about him a couple of weeks ago and i really couldn,t tell him because i hadn,t herd anything now i can tell him smothing tell us how he is doing more often. bill pray,s every day. i going to tell him he needs our prayers and so do you . love and hugs nettie

This message was edited Mar 16, 2011 9:17 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8433020

Good afternoon all. It is soooo nice here! 80* and sunny. But boy is it WINDY! Suppose to be this nice for the next week. Chances of storms too though. Can use the rain but hate our spring time storms.

I FINALLY found a Lollipop and Shrimp plant that I have been wanting so badly! When we were at the Lawn & Garden show, a guy that had a guttering or some such booth had one setting at his display. I asked if he wanted to sell it he said no, but told me where he got it. I got the last ones they had! WHEW! I'm so happy.

Welcome back Al ... we have missed you. I'm not sure my little tomato is going to make it. He had a couple leaves that seemed to of been frozen, but I was hoping his roots were good. He is just setting there, but I haven't given up hope on him yet.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8433245

I'm just getting started with these pictures, we took over 500 photos to sort out! I will post a Snapfish album when all is said and done so everybody can easily see our vast collection without tying up Daves website.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 17, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8433263

Wow! Isn't that gorgeous! I could sit there and drink coffee all day! How cute!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8433278

One of my favorites was the Kauai Coffee Company. A beautiful factory tour with lavish garden areas. Of course the coffee was pretty good, too. I've got sample packs for everybody to send later.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 17, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8433466

Now that's a cup of coffee!! Just my size, if I could just keep it hot until it was all gone! I love the picture Al!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8433560

Wow Al - nice teasers;o) Can't wait to see all the pics. I've always wanted to go to Hawaii - now I can, through you!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 17, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8433714

al im looking foward to the pictures also sounds like lots of fun, im going to bed see everyone tomorrow. going to the city in the morning got a lows gift card its burning a hole in my purse. love to all nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
3:47 AM

Post #8433792

If you haven't ever seen a Hawaiian Ti that's the tall red bush on the right. House plants don't get quite this tall. Red and green are very common colors, but there is rarer varigated variety also. They are grown from a log cutting about 2" long and 1/2" diameter soaked horizontal in a water tray. I have enough of these to send out to just about anyone who wants to try one.

Al

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 5:53 AM

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8433814

Coconut Palms are also pretty common, you could probably say they take up most of the landscape here. I learned one lesson the hard way, you don't stand near them on a windy day! The solid coconuts weigh about 15 lbs. and easily become airborn! It was a near miss, but I almost got beaned by one.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8434025

Wow! Those Ti's are gorgeous! I had never seen one, so am so glad you posted pictures! Hard to believe they grow from a little piece of wood to be so large! Very cool plants Al! And love the coconut story! LOL!! Heck, we were all worried about you in the tsunami and volcano, and here it was flying coconuts that were the real danger!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8434088

WooHoo! Saw our first robin this morning!! Spring is on it's way!! Yippee!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8434099

I'm getting more information on the Hawaiian Ti as I go along. Dave's has it's own great description in the plant file section:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53151/

Some say to soak in plain water, others recommend starting in damp pearlite or seed mix soil.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8434120

I hope Mekos sees that Plant. She loves them. Wow! What a large cup of coffee! You didn't get tooooo much caffein, did you???
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 18, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8435396

al i would love to try one of the red ones sounds fun.of course im kinda nutty i get worse as i go alonglove to read books don,t know why i bother can,t remember anything so sad. ill get over it i hopeand pray i do love nettie ive been to lows today bought one new rose and a few beading plantsbig prim rose california ones. i usually get a couple of years out of them if i mulch good.and im real high on mulch saves me some money on water bill plus im not crazy about draging water hose around. most women get flowers or smelly for birthday and special occasion not me they give me water hose hay its usefull i also like to get new gsrden plants doesn,t take much to keep me happy.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8435399

This was the official Kauai Beach weather station.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 18, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8435722

wonder when mekos is comming back she will feel better when she comes back mekos i miss you please come back for a while al im looking foward to seeing the pictures nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2011
10:28 PM

Post #8435772

I lost you all with the new thread. You ran off and hid from me. BUT I FOUND YOU NOW!
Al, those pictures are so wonderful! LOVE the Hawaiian ti, Those are so easy to root and grow. I have several. I just always stick them in the greenhouse for winter and it gets cold so they hibernate on me before spring arrives. My house doesn't have enough windows to keep them inside.
Glad you're feeling better Kelly. Trish, I am praying for Caleb's recovery too. HUGS!
Nettie, I am so sorry about your cat. I know how attached you can be, I lost my 18 year old bobcat a few years ago and cried forever. I raised him on a baby bottle. He was like my baby.
I spent today in the urgent care with severe bladder infection, and since I let it go too long before getting to the Dr., It got real bad. Got to spend 5 days inside cause with this medication I can't get in the sun and sun is gonna shine everyday for a while. MY BAD!
Guess I'll learn.
Good night everyone, going to bed. I am tired now. Welcome to our newest members! Hope to see you around a lot.
Al, can't wait to see more!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8436095

mekos ... feel better ... praying for you!

AL!!!!! I LOVE the pictures. I need one of those large coffee cups. Wonder if refills are free? LOL Would love a start of the Ti plant too. How cool are they? Love the coconut story. You need a t-shirt that says I survived Tsunami, Volcanic Activity AND Flying Coconuts. ROFL
So glad you all made it back home safe and sound. Wonderful trip. Can't imagine how hard it was to leave all that beauty.

nettie ... so sorry for your cat. I have a 16 yr old Rat Terrier that went blind a few months ago. I have to take extra care of her now. Other than that, she is healthy as a horse. But she has put on a few pounds since she can't run and play.

Thumbnail by Crit

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8436529

Okay - I'm going to try this just once. About 50 of my Hawaiian flowers on Snapfish. Please be patient with me, this may work slow on some computers. Let me know if you have problems

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3304188026/a=5243478026_5243478026/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Al

This message was edited Mar 19, 2011 2:27 PM

This message was edited Mar 19, 2011 3:04 PM

This message was edited Mar 19, 2011 3:22 PM
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 19, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8436765

al how do i open that you know how slow i am nettie.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8436964

I might need some help here, this is my first time on Snapfish. Somebody click on the link and tell me what you see on your computer. If it calls for a username or password get back to me.

Thanks.
Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8437327

Al, it brings up your Album but won't let me view it unless I register I think... BRB...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8437340

I registered lickety split - lol... Awesome pics Al! Wow - what is that surreal blue flower at the end? Love it! I also wish that nanner tree was in my back yard.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8437407

Beautiful flowers Al. I even recognized a few of them. I just love the Bird of Paradise, they are so different! Thanks so much for sharing!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8437495

The last one is called a Jade Vine, and there is a listing page for it on DG. It was just stunningly beautiful when we saw it and very unusual shape.

We saw so many plants in two weeks that I had trouble remembering all the names, some of them weren't marked that well so had to thumb through books to find them.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8437545

Oh Al, awesome! I love the flowers! I grew the jade vine for 2 years but never got a bloom from it and it bit the dust this winter in the greenhouse. DRAT! Those are just gorgeous. I am not sure I could have left if I was there.

(Edited for spelling drew)?

This message was edited Mar 19, 2011 11:58 PM
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 20, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8439098

al they are asking foe a passwotd and my email [d really reather not give them my add i get enough lunk in my email already nettie
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8439144

nettie ... you need a 'junk mail address'. Make on on hotmail or yahoo, and use that when you are entering an address you don't want followup e-mails from anyone.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8440352

This is my second album on Snapfish with about 50 scenics of our trip to Hawaii:

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3311768026/a=5243478026_5243478026/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Sorry, it took me a while to sort these out. I'm making up souvenir packs send all of you for putting up with me for the last few weeks. It's been fun, thanks for listening.

Al

So who's the rockhead here?

Thumbnail by lycodad

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 21, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8440616

Al, that's so cute! I love it! And we don't "put up with you." We love seeing your pictures and your posts! We are all living vicariously thru you because we can't get to Hawaii! Don't you know that's how we vacation too? LOL!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8441576

How cute! I love it Al! I love all the gorgeous flowers. Just can't get enough and look forward to more. Keep em coming!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8441594

Al is that a volcano smoking?!? WOW! NEAT.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8441691

That's Mount Kilauea, the world's only active volcano right now. Part of the National Park was closed because of dangerous sulphur dioxide gasses in the air. We were standing at an observation house far above the crater that had just reopened after the eruption calmed down a bit. They wouldn't allow us to get any closer for safety reasons.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8441732

Al, the pictures are awesome! The BIRD was super gorgeous! Loved it.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8441779

Great Shots, Only way I'll see Hawaii. Thanks Al.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8441849

I keep going back to look more. It's just beautiful! Those of Al and DW is great too. That is one beautiful state. I'm so glad you got to go and thanks for the pictures so we all could see what you did.
Me too Charleen, I never get to travel anymore and just loved it all.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 21, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8441873

Yes, Al! Thanks so much for the pictures and sharing with us! We love our vacation in Hawaii!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 21, 2011
10:13 PM

Post #8442138

al i would never have thought of doing yhat, ill have billy don set one of those up for me this weekend yhank you very much . good night all talk later love and hugs nettie.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8444461

Great pic in your post rockhead...lol What happened to the rock hat on the last one? That didn't end up as a souvenier did it???? LOL Love the pics, so beautiful
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8444579

I wanted to bring it home for my rock garden, but had some trouble getting it through the security checkpoint at the airport. Actually, I think the monument was under construction at the time, that's why the ropes were in front of it.

Al
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 23, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8446214

fr.smiyh garden show this weekend im going to work tomorow and saturday so be away for a while. going to bed early have to be there by 9.oo in h the morning. doing two flower arrangements don,t like haveing to do two but couldn,t be helped love and hugs nettie.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 23, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8446241

al billy don ts going to set me up a mail acc with yaho this weekend then i can see the pictures. nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8446566

Get a good night sleep nettie and wishing you luck at the show this weekend! Got my fingers crossed for ya. Show us pictures when you get back! Hugs.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8446905

we'll be pulling for you nettie. Do you say 'break a leg' for a flower show???? lol
ldblond
La Quinta, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8448067

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm sorry to have disappeared after I first posted it certainly wasn't my intent. My RSD grabbed hold and has been in control of my health as of late thus I haven't been online as much but fortunately voice rec. brings me back to the boards. Even better, with my kids help I got into my rose garden yesterday and we were able to enlarge the water rings, mulch, and fertilize about 11 of them. I can't wait for them to bloom so I can post pictures!

Next on the gardening plan is to map out what I have, what my sun exposures are for summer, and figure out if some of the plants that are performing poorly need to be moved before I add more. Well I should say what plants my kids will be helping me move. I love being in he garden, it keeps my attitude positive and calmer, my pain isn't first and foremost when I'm in the flowerbeds. Certainly, I feel better even if I don't operate more than a hand trowel it doesn't matter to me as much any more.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome. LD

"As the Garden Grows, so grows the Gardener."
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8448134

Hi Ld, We are all glad you were able to return. Nice to see new gardeners hanging in here with us. Several of us have health issues which keep us from doing much but we all love our gardens and do what we can. Have you contacted Arejay for your free packs of gardening seeds yet? If not be sure to so you can be planting new flowers or vegies which ever you like and show them off too. We all share what we have so new members can try new seeds when they join up. Lots to look forward to here. Al keeps us looking and living through his plane trips and pictures and also has beautiful flowers we love to see. Ridesredmule-Charleen has Charley the red mule we all love and adore with his antics and pretty flowers, Arejay gives out newbee seed packs to new members and grow all kinds of herbs and flowers for us to see and share. Nettie is our little garden club contestant in garden shows and wins ribbons and grows the best flowers.Crit shows off with all her beauties she grows. Hunneybunch- Trish, has a child that got burned badly and is dealing with that right now but grows some of the most beautiful flowers you'll ever see. Kelly keeps us on our toes and straight but grows vegies and flowers all year round. Skellogg- Sandi when she digs out of snow banks, has gorgeous flowers too. Then there are so many who drop in from time to time who are amazing with all kinds of flowers and vegies. Can't wait for the Irises to start blooming cause Mitt will drop in with the MOST awesome Iris collections ever! People like me who can't get out and do stuff just lives through all these pictures and friends here, it really is a wonderful place to be. If you have any questions, just ask, someone here probably has dealt with it and may be able to help you. Maybe you can help us out with your experiences too. Anyway, welcome back and glad to have you.

Edited to correct my spelling!

This message was edited Mar 24, 2011 7:28 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8448136

OH and during boreing winter months we all have snowball fights, cyber style!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8448256

This is our Charley. We also have a few fellas that visit. Al just got back from a vacation and lets us know and see pretty sites WE will never see.
Mitt grows some of the most fantastic Iris and daylilies. Really helps our gardens out with beauty.

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 24, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8448275

oh mekos got a new orchid today it is big, bigger than any ive ever had i took a picture of it ill get kaci to put it up tomorrow she is spending the night with a friend . this orchid grows little ones on the base of it and you just cut them off and pot them up im excited hope it does good for me. that way i can ahare. love and hugs nettie i did not do well at the flower show, missy did good for her first out of town show she got 3 red ribbons that is good for a newbe im so pleased with her flower arrangements, i will show you later i told her to make pictures.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 24, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8448285

hi rrm that charley gets better looking every time i see him looks like he is well fed and much loved by all hug him for me love nettie.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2011 7:41 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8448510

had my fingers crossed for you nettie, but it is awesome Missy got 3 reds! Congratulate her for us and be sure she posts pics.

ld, if I may be so bold to ask ... what is RSD? I have my fair share of aches, pains and syndromes, but I agree that being out in the garden just makes everything better. That is until I stand up and try to walk. lol I even just love setting out by the pool in the shade and watching nature around me! Love the quiet except for the birdies songs.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8448583

Hi ID - Welcome to our crazy little corner of this web site. I just sent out my souvenir packs to everybody today, but didn't have your address in Dave's extras files. When you get a chance, add it in so us folks can send you goodies and swaps. In any case feel free to harp in on us on just about any subject or cause. Most of us have been here a while and 'bout heard it all.

Al
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8448602

Love your pics Al ... so beautiful. The little tomato you sent me didn't make it. I guess the freeze got it too bad. If you have anymore, would you mind sending me a couple? TIA
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8448615

Sorry about your tomato plant Crit, but I may have a few leftover seeds if you want to try again. I knew this was going to a certain risk right in the middle of winter. Anybody else having luck with the Tumbling Toms I sent out earlier?

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8449244

Al, my Tom is in a pot and has teeny tiny blossoms on it, so I'm hoping it will soon have teeny tiny maters on it;o) So far so good...
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 25, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8449811

someone talk to me about ribbon grass i bought some at the garden show thought it would be good in flower arrangements but i don,t even know about planting it. need a little help nettie.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8449893

Put it out at the edge of your garden or yard cause it grows and spreads. Well it does here.
The roots will go under ground and spread and come up all around. I wouldn't consider it invasive but it can get out of hand if ya don't watch. Kinda like bamboo canes and yard cactus, or Trumpet vine, once it gets it's feet established, it hard to control in my area. Not sure in yours. But it is beautiful growing.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8450144

Boy is Mekos right. I see this stuff thrown away at the side of roads. I don't think I want any.

Look at the wisteria growing in the trees behind the Lady Banks rose.

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 25, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8450329

Isn't that gorgeous!! I hope mine made it thru the winter! Reckon I'll know 'bout June? lol!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8450419

My Lady Banks is about to start blooming too. But mine don't climb like that. It is on a trellis. My wisteria is putting out buds everywhere too. Not sure if my red wisteria made it yet, it is not doing anything yet. S i g h .
Yours is nice Charleen, and when it is all bloomed out it will be breathtaking!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8451200

We have a freeze warning here tonight. Guess I better move my WS'ing boxes up closer to the house, have lots of sprouts. What causes damping off? I removed the tops from my jiffy seed trays and I'm losing a bunch of the seedlings. I raised the lids a little for several days before removing them.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 26, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8451299

rrm i need a start of your lady bankes rose the one i had died. several things bit the dust around here last year love nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8451413

AL, I just got the sweetest little box with the nicest things inside. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Not gonna mention what it is so not to spoil it for others but believe me, I love it! Hope you have a wonderful day! Thanks.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 26, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8451418

This is my new orchid.

Thumbnail by littlenettie

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 26, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8451431

mekos she didn.t give ne tue name for that orchtd it ic almost 3ft. tall never seen one that tall hope it does good for me.so i can shair with my friends. she had some big bloom orchids but they were very costy over my head. if you know wkat it is please tell me nettie.mekos jj said it is a nuns orchid jj/s english is not the best but if i could find my garden book could probly find it in there and maby not,

This message was edited Mar 26, 2011 8:41 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8451530

Mekos may know. Al, I got my little box too. If you was here I'd hug your neck. The little candle is heavenly I love the smell. Couldn't keep my head in the bag too long or I'd smother :-) Teasing, but I did love the smell. Love all the trinkets and the TI plant, stub. I will start scraping off the wax and I love the Rock. I love rocks. Necklace was nice too. I love everything, even the little box.
Thank you from
Charleen and That big red mule.
Hugs and nuzzles.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 26, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8451566

Just found out that someone in NY won the Mega Millions jackpot. Sure hope it was Al, teeheehee! Or at least someone from here! We don't have any of those games here in WY, but check the numbers for DM all the time, cuz she buys tickets once in a while. I think the jackpot was 300 million, or some such thing. Al, are you a millionaire now?
;-)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8451571

Nettie it is a Nun's Orchid, let me go see if I can find a link for you to see the name.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8451580

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=chr-yie8&va=nun+orchid+blooms
Here you go Nettie. The real name is Phaius Tankerville or Nun's Orchid. I have one but it has not bloomed for me yet.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 26, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8451635

Wow! Very pretty! Hope it does great for you Nettie cuz we want more pictures! Want to see yours in bloom too Jan!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8451659

I am just hoping mine survived the winter. It is in the greenhouse.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8451679

Al and DW, I got my box! Love, love, love it!!!! Love the shell necklace ... so pretty and dainty!!!! THRILLED to get the TI start. Isn't that the one you lay on top of the dirt and it puts roots down? Or am I thinking of something else? The little flower candle smells heavenly, and the piece of... errrrr ... rock (teehee) is cool. Thanks so much for thinking of all of us while you were on vacation. That is very sweet and kind. I'd hug your neck if you were here. ^_^ I loved hearing all about it and seeing all your pictures. Wonderful trip, I'm glad you all got to take it!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8451746

I too received my lovely souvenir package today!! Thanks so much Al! I really enjoyed your trip and am grateful you and the DW brought us along for the ride;o) Interesting the Ti plant. Something new to try!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8452011

Sorry girls, I'm not quite a millionaire just yet, got a long ways to go. I think it might be fun to own a coffee plantation, though. I'd let you'all cook the pastries for me.

I think Mekos is an expert on Ti Plants, I'm kinda new at this. Some of my books say to soak them lengthwise in water until they root, others say to just lay flat in damp Jiffy type soil mix. I'm going to let Jan horn in on me for this one, I need a good answer.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8452057

Yep, we are waiting for instruction...☺
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 26, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8452567

thank you mekos im so bumed out its mostly stressed out , not about winning or not winning but just getting it done when we do extra we are helping other people win you have 4 arrangemenbts in every class and if one person who doesn,t do what they say they will do can get a whole class kicked out. they won,t even judge it.kinda sad but thats how it works. all the clasies must be full.. it has been a long three days. im glad it is over got a tree for the syock pond a bald cypruss bill would hurt me if he knew i had that tree. i hide it in the greenhouse. put it out first chance i get.love and hugs nettie. my word i almost got caught.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2011 10:59 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8452992

LOL @ nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8454791

Nettie you better watch out, Bill will catch you girl. ;0)
Hey I am no authority on anything you guys. But I have rooted them several times. I have done it 2 ways and also heard of the 3rd way but never did it that way. Well, you can scrape the wax off each end and stick it upright (Tall) into a glass of warm water half way up the log, or plant halfway down in damp potting soil. Both these ways work well and I have used them both ways. They root very easy so which ever you choose is good. That way you get 1 plant but will be bushy at top. Now if you lay it cross way in water or soil, it will root all the way across and you clip it into and make sections of it (after you got roots all the way across), and you end up with as many as you want to cut it into. Maybe 3? As long as each piece has roots it is ok to cut them apart. BUT it will be slower growing and not as bushy till it grows a lot. These are slow growing at first but in the late fall it will shoot up bloom spikes and bloom kinda like an orchid spike with tiny blooms all the way up the spikes.
Very cute in bloom but the foliage is awesome! The more sun they get the brighter the reds look. Mine are kept in the greenhouse and it is not heated but the lights keep it from freezing in there so mine will die back in January and then sprout out again in spring.In fact mine are sprouted out right now. If you keep them inside in warmth they will be beautiful all winter. I just don't have adequit light for mine to live inside. :0( So they have to start over fresh each year. But they are very easy to grow and care for. Since they are tropical, they cannot live outside here in winter.
Thanks to you again Al, it was very sweet of you to think of us and bring back such wonderful gifts! Hugs to you and DW.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8454808

Here is mine. I do not change the water every day, what I do is add back in warm water as it goes out. I keep it half way up the log. It will root just like Brug logs for those of you who root brugs in the fall/spring in water or soil. It all works the same way. They do best with warm bottoms.

Thumbnail by mekos

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 27, 2011

Post #8454821

my puter has been acting up i hate them when they act bad. its not in the mood for flower pictures then the key bord stoped working. good to see you all on here talking love nettie.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2011 12:18 AM
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8454822

Thanks for the instructions Jan, you've been a great help. I think there are other plants that can be grown from stem cuttings like palms, crotons and such. We've grown willow bushes here in NY simply by rooting branches in water.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8454868

That is true Al. Some plants do great in water and some just clip and stick in the dirt. See what does best for you and keep doing it. I think the most important thing is give light and keep the bottom warm while rooting. I did some blue Gingers last year laying them long ways in the soil and 5 out of 6 did great. I then gave all but 2 away after rooting them and my 2 are looking great. I did keep them inside the greenhouse for winter and they have put out nice. I'm hoping I will get blooms this year. They came from a friend in Hawaii along with several Ti logs.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 27, 2011
11:44 PM

Post #8454906

im in trouble with the dh he said to go ahead and plant the tree. i like them they have the nice knees on them but that is all the water i have on the place so thats where it will have to go.i was told not to be sneaking around so i won,t ill just go out there to the pond and put the little thing in the water. as soon as it warms back up.its cold here now. going to get rain the next two days, if those cloths will get dry i can go to bed love you all nettie.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2011 12:46 AM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8455669

Now Nettie, you tell DH if he wants to eat your cooking again, just settle down! It's your home too and if you want a tree, it shouldn't bother him. Then give him a hug and smile and make him a nice dinner. WORKS EVERY TIME!
Good morning everyone. Still raining here. :0( I think I saw my boat in the driveway sailing away this morning! :-| Sigh...

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8455781

Good morning friends;o) Thanks for the Ti log instructions mekos. Sounds easy enough. You can send some of your rain my way. We're expected to hit the mid 90s by the end of the week - ugh! It's too soon - lol.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8455919

I know Kelly. This is exactly how it began last year. Rain soaked everything till my banana trees rotted and so many other things that didn't need all the water, and then went straight from winter to Hot humid summer and we cooked! I really had a horrible time breathing last year outside so my grounds and gardens suffered badly. This time I put banana trees and gingers in greenhouse with Amorphs, and all the rest to protect from all the rain and just waiting till time to take them out and get into the ground before it gets too hot for me to go out. There is so much yard work that needs to be done some even left from last year that needs hauled off or burned. DH was just told they are going 6-7 days a week starting April and on till the end of the year. He won't be able to do much here outside. :-| Health wise, I can't do much. So another year ...
Sure wish I could win the lottery! I'd hire a garden worker to make and keep this place gorgeous. Dreams, just dreams. Sigh. Sure was counting on it being Al winning that lottery, Al ya just popped my bubble!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8456403

YIKES! OH Nettie guess what? I just went to my greenhouse to check it out whilst it wasn't raining cats and dogs right now and my Nun's orchid has a bloom spike shot up and I can see purple showing in the buds! YE-HA!!!!!!! It's gonna bloom! HOT DAWG!!!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 28, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8457214

mekos you are going to love it, the lady i bought myne from said she only uses miracle grow potting mix on her non orchids and hers were beautifull she only had 2 left at the end of the show. myne already has 3or4 little ones on the bottom of it im excited about it and the little ground orchids have big blooms on them if we don;t get a late freeze the next 3or4 days i will have bloom so them. al i got a nice surprise today alittle shell neckles coffee and candle and lava rock yhank you best vacation ive ever had and din,t evenn have motion sickness wonderfull thanks al and wife i loved all of it and tie log almost forgot about it. love nettie have a good evening everyone. .
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8457260

I put mine in miracle grow also Nettie, It was just a tiny sprout when I got it 2 years ago and I was hopeing for blooms last year but it just didn't do it, forgot about it till you mentioned yours and went to look and there she was. Smileing like a big girl! I brought that baby inside where I can keep an eye on her. She is still small but doing good. It suppose to frost tonight so I had to grab all my seedlings and freshly sowed seeds and take them into the greenhouse. Crazy mixed up weather! But my baby gonna be warm! Big smile ;-)

Thumbnail by mekos

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 28, 2011

Post #8457457

Al, I got my box today! I absolutely love it! Gonna get a ton of use out of the necklace, and the lava rock is on the fireplace mantle, and the candle I have on my desk, and pick it up and sniff often ;-) and have the Ti log soaking it water for a wonderful plant! Coffee is in the pot for in the morning! Yippee!! Love all of it and it was so kind and generous of you to send us souvenirs of your visit! Thanks so much for taking us all on your vacation to HI with you both! Love all the pictures!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 29, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8459021

mekos my greenhouse is a mess im not sure how im going to fix it to much in it causes me to loose things, had to call milissa so she could tell me where she put the last plants we bought and they were sitting in plain sight,but i couldn,t see them.my age is showing guess im going to start leaving notes for myself. nettie.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8459057

I know what ya mean Nettie, I got tables, shelves up all sides and the floor is covered and everything that can hang is hanging from the rafters. Don't think another pot , even a 3 inch square , could possibly fit in there at all. I got small pots sitting inside big pots where there was enough space to sit one around another flower. Got 2 water ponds in there shoved under the shelves and tables.Got Lotus in those and water lilies that are tropical. Still got the hardy water lilies in the outside ponds. Got bog lilies in there too in a bog garden. Some huge pots got 2-3 plants in them together cause after winter they go in ground. So just for storage, I put stuff together. That saves on containers and space for them.But you cannot walk inside at all. You can go to the door and look inside but nothing else till I drag them out after the last frost.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8459248

Got my tomatoes and peppers seeded in the starter pans today. Summer willl be here soon enough... I hope. We've still got snow on the ground in some places, but it's starting to burn off.

Al
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011

Post #8459577

Hi everyone.. Al looks like you and the misses had a wonderful time..I thank you so much for my box..It was so kind of you to take time from you vacation to shop for us. Im in aww at how large the Ti plant gets..I cant wait till mine gets big enough to bloom im excited over it already.. The plumeria candle smells heavenly..I have picked it up and smelled of it lots of times already today..I cant wait to smell the coffee in the morning..DH will have to get up early to enjoy a cup of that, otherwise it may be gone by the time he gets up tomorrow since he is working the 2nd shift..
Calebs hand isnt healing well.. They took the stitches out and removed the splint and the first thing he did was go to kill a snake a my Dads house with a shovel and was excited after nearly stepping on snake forgot which hand he had shovel in and busted the incision open.. The incison around forefinger was already open when they removed stitches, now its busted all around his thumb also The grafted skin looks bad..I made him a foam splint to keep his thumb and fingers seperated all I know to do is keep it clean and let it heal. At this point I wish we had not had the surgery..Not sure we did him any favors..
The yard is starting to come alive with a few flowers anyway..Tho a cold spell has moved thru and its currently raining.. I wil share a picture or two then Im off to bed. Hugs everyone..

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8459588

Iris season is beginning This is "Jane Eyre"

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8459595

This is "furioso"

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8459596

Pretty Trish;o) I sure pray Caleb's hands heals quickly - poor kiddo. Big hugs to you both. ♥

Here is my first Iris bloom of the season. It's a beautiful I germanica from a great DG person.

Thumbnail by locakelly

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011

Post #8459598

last but not least here's a lil daffodil I'll have to look tomorrow to tell ya what type it is..

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2011

Post #8459600

Gorgeous! Oh we may have to hitch up Charley and ride one of these nights! (Whistling)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8459604

I'm praying for Caleb's hand and so hope it is better tomorrow. Hugs!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8460025

We'll have a bigggggggg wagon so if we find any plants we just have to have we will have room. How great is that.
I believe this is one I got from Mitt. Dufess ate the label...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8460031

This is my Dufess...

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 30, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8460067

We have a Dufus too! Here's ours, on the table, in the daffs, being a snoop, as always!

Thumbnail by skellogg

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8460350

Hahaha LOL, that is cute Sandi! Love your Snoop.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8460397

He is cute as can be. We loves our Dufesses don't we????
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8460946

Dufess reminds me of my Mack, could be a relative somewhere along the line... He was my bestest dogfriend ever.

Al
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

March 30, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8461639

LOL! Hmmm, nope, our Dufus isn't our dogs best friend, but then our dogs are Corgi's, and think the cat is for herding. Let me tell you, cats do NOT like to be herded, lol! Our Dufus was born with only 3 legs, and no one else wanted a kitty that was "broken" so we kinda adopted her. I wanted to name her Tripod, but DH said that would give her a complex, lol! So, he named her Dufus! Like that didn't give her a complex? LOL! Yep, we do love our Dufesses!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 30, 2011

Post #8461820

good night all im going to bed love nettie
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8463484

Beautiful iris!!!!!! That is one of my favorite flowers! I just wished they bloomed longer. Would love to have them all summer! Mine are out front, and I don't go out that way very often. Need to go see if any of them are putting up buds. I'm going to plant some more along the fence line where I pull into my garage driveway so I get to see them! :-) If anyone thins and wants to share ... dmail me. I'll pay postage or trade or whatever.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8463507

Nope, not even close to a bud

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8463573

Crit, did you see this? I got some awesome plants last year;o)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1164061/
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8463965

Has anyone heard from Mitt lately? He has awesome IRIS! Wonder if his are budding out or blooming yet?
MITT?????? Where ARE you little buddy????? HELLO!!!!! MITT??????? OH MITT!!!!??

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8464052

I talked to him a few days ago via d-mail. Hoping for another Mit Iris sale this year;o) Hopefully he'll pop in and say hello real soon.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2011
9:05 PM

Post #8464121

When you talk to him again, tell him we want pictures now.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

March 31, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8464146

hope you all had a good day wish it would dawn warm and clear in the morning would make my day love and hugs nettie ineed to pick up a can of cleaner for the key board on the puter should help it alot ive to un load this puter room its getting harder to find things in here.ill try and get a can tomorrow.,
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8464149

From your lips to God's ears, Nettie! All my weather is saying is rain and cold!
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 1, 2011
1:16 AM

Post #8464239

Hello Mekos!!! ...Where are you?...Are you looking for me?...I'm here, come back Jan. lol

It's raining and cold here this morning
Iris start blooming here the beginning of May. I'll have a better idea what is available then
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8464621

Okay - So why did the chicken cross the road?...

'Cause he was too dumb to stay on the shoulder!

Happy April Fool's Day everybody!!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8464962

I'm here Mitt. Now where did you run off to? Just where did my partner in crime go? Today would have been the perfect day to pull something on someone ya know. :^) Whistling...
You didn't sell off all those beauties last year did you? Sure did use a LOT of restraint to not come at night and grab a few ya know, so that should count fur somethin!
Happy April Fools Day everyone! Cute chickens Al.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 1, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8466248

mekos nice day here today they say more nice weather tomorrow but rain sunday don.t know about next week.need the rain but im through with cold haate it why can,t it stay warm and rain now that would be nice i could sit on the front porch and watch that and drink coffee. love and hugs nettietold bill to wake me up so i can plant some flowers from the garden show got some geranium from a lady she says it will come up every year and i don,t have to dig it up and re plant it every year. forgot toask what color it was oh well ill know when it blooms.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8466772

LOL Yep, see when it blooms is a sure fire way to know. LOL
My Nun's orchid had one bloom to open today and mine is completely purple with dark spots on the throat piece. I am so proud of it. It is still so small , last year it grew big and then died down so I was shocked when it shot up a bloom spike this small. Will try to get a good picture later. It is sunny today but a little windy here. Suppose to be sunny till Tuesday and very bad storms coming Tuesday. News people say tornados to watch out for.
Anyone talked to Arejay? She was expecting 12 inches of snow and haven't heard from her since. Just wondering if she is ok or lost power or snowed in...Yikes, better stop before I kill her off. AREJAY!!! Where ARE you?????
Going to enjoy this sun for a while. Have a great weekend everyone.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 2, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8466839

Jan, I heard from Robin this morning. Arejay did get the 12" of snow. It sounds like she won't be taking her caribou, reindeer or moose for a walk today.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8466847

Hello Mitt! Good to see here. Yes I heard from her today after I posted this, she lost power for a bit but just snowed in for now. I was SO hoping for Spring to come. NOT more snow.
Hope the Iris are doing well. I can't wait till summer to see those beauties again. Take care. It is sunny today, and would be perfect if the wind would settle down.
Frank65
Hallowell, ME

April 2, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8466896

Got 10 inches of new snow yesterday. Prior to that most of the snow had melted. Have a few iris up. Quince, Lilac and JM are budding. Temp is 50 now.

Say Litle Nettie you wouldn't happen to know Don and Cathy Dunn, formerly of Booneville?
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 2, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8466921

I love this site. Especially at feeding time
http://www.wvec.com/marketplace/microsite-content/eagle-cam.html

They grow so fast and soon will spread their wings
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8466966

Wow! I watched for several minutes and that is awesome. I also marked it in my favorites so I can come back and watch it again. That is a big baby. Thanks Mitt.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 2, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8466967

Dad is quite the provider. Here is a look at his hurting skills
they will eat whatever Dad brings to the nest. They're not picky eaters

So far this season we have seen: Gizzard Shad, Catfish, Squirrel, Surf Scoter/sea duck brought to nest 3/27, Koi brought to nest 3/29,
Gull brought to nest 3/31 and Ring-billed Gull brought to nest 4/1

I like when they're getting antsy. Mom looks toward the sky in search of him. After a few minutes, he appears with a 5 pound trout in his massive claws and drops it in front of her. She will tear it apart and feed the kids and dad will fly off into a nearby tree and watch them chow down. They keep coming back to this same tree year after year to raise their family. I believe this pair have been together close to ten years. There are times when I'll turn the TV off and just watch them. It's so much better then TV

Watch you're chickens Al... It's getting close to supper time ;-)
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 2, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8466974

I saw two, maybe three in the nest. It's much easier to count once she starts to feed them. But, Jan tune in everyday and watch how fast they grow. I've been looking at this site for years. I'm still amazed the care they have for their young. I've seen an egg open and it looked like the "runt" just wasn't going to make it and she is amazing with the young. She has about 3 or 4 a year and she isn't a spring chicken. They're truly a beautiful bird and very smart. I've watched last year when the nest seemed to have flies circling around and she picked up the carcass and flew away with it.

Anyone know the life expectancy of a wild bald eagle. Where is Nettie, Kelly and Crit when I need them?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8467036

I think about 25-30 years in the wild. Those in captivity probably close to 50 years.

I love that eaglecam Mit - it's one of my favorites;o) Another I am watching this year is in Iowa. 3 eggs and first hatched this morning...

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/03/bald-eagle-cam/

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 2, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8467053

Hi Kelly
There are three eaglets.
I think they call this location Hampton ??? (Not sure)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8467303

Oh wow! I watched those too Kelly. How cool to watch. I been watching a humming bird cam for a while now but never saw the eagles before. That is amazing! DH had to come watch and see the babies.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 2, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8467748

we have bald eagles down on pettie jean river see them some times when we go fishing which i don,t do much anymore they are pretty i love to watch them fly high and ride the air just amazing how they do that. nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8467766

Wow Nettie, all I get is Hawks and buzzards.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8467838

I bought me a pink Bower Vine today to try and grow it on part of the chain link in the front yard. It's one of the few vines that will take my full sun...

Also redid a container by the front door for spring/summer. Purple Osteospermum (sp?), Coral Bells, purple Wallflower and white Bacopa to trail over the edge. Thought you might like to see it;o)

Thumbnail by locakelly

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8467959

Ooooow how pretty! That will be gorgeous when it all fills out. LOVELY! Just imagine a pot full of beauty!;>)

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8467969

...and all in my favorite shades of purple;o) It should fill in pretty quickly - all fast growers and they get perfect filtered sun in that location by the door. Easy to keep a container there without constant watering.

Thumbnail by locakelly

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8467977

I love it. You chose great plants. I like purple too. Last year I put black n white striped petunias in a hanging pot with that white stuff trailing down the sides and it was so pretty.
You did good Kelly.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 2, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8467979

Wow! Very pretty Kelly! I didn't know that there was a purple wallflower! Does is smell as great as the yellow? Where did you find it? I love the yellow ones just for the fragrance, if for no other reason! We must be getting closer to spring, as most of the stores are putting up their nursery tents in their parking lots. Nothing in them yet, of course, but at least we're getting closer!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 2, 2011

Post #8467989

yes frank i do know don and cathy dun they are good people love them to death. they lived in booneville for a long time see don around town some and they get on the bhs web site often nettie.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8468007

Thanks mekos;o)

Sandi, I didn't know there was a purple one either until today. It is Erysimum "Bowles Mauve" and I got it at Lowe's. I don't think it smells like the yellow does. I'll let you know after I go sniff it - lol.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 2, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8468018

Well, even if it doesn't, it still is a very pretty plant and a great color! Guess I might have to watch for that at Lowes when they get up and running, and when I get to the "big city" LOL! I hope it's not sterile and reseeds the way the yellow ones do!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2011

Post #8468021

Nice container Kelly! I'm glad somebody is in bloom.

We went to a couple of sales today to find three really big planter boxes for our front porch. Maybe use for some garlic greens or other herbs, haven't decided just yet

The eagle pictures are great. Must be neat mounting the remote cameras right on top of the nest. We have an eagles nest about 2 miles from here that is in plain site to watch from a nearby road. The Hwy. Dept. even provided us with a pullover for traffic to watch from a distance. It's much too far away to take pictures, but visable with binoculars.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8468036

Nope, not really a smell;o( It is a perennial so will come back from the roots here. It's says hardy to zone 6 so would have to reseed to succeed for you.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 2, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8468061

Our wall flowers are typically considered annuals here, (the yellow ones) but are very good at re-seeding, so I never seem to run out, thank heavens! I'm definately going to have to keep an eye out for those purple ones tho, as they are great! How are you feeling Kelly? Sure hope that you are doing great! How do you feel now that it's been awhile since you quit smoking? Are you still not smoking?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8468065

Hey Sandi - if you don't find the purples let me know and I'll send you one or some...

I'm feeling OK - not great. I saw my cardiologist last week and he thinks my ticker is fine. I have wicked acid reflux mostly controlled with medication so that may be causing some of my issues. Will see the OB/GYN end of April - sorry for the "girl stuff" guys... I have large fibroids and those could be causing me some issue as well. We'll get it figured out sooner or later...

It's been a month since I quit and there are days I crave them but not bad enough to smoke one - lol.

I seem to wear out easier than normal and am so dreading the summer and the heat. Trying to limit planting stuff I have to baby through the heat cuz I'm really not up to it this year. It's too much sometimes;o)

Thanks for asking and keeping me in your prayers friends;o)
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 2, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8468071

mekos im so glad youe orchid is goino to bloom, i always get excited when one of myne blooms, i had to set this one out of the greenhouse today it was getting way to hot in side, was a little droupy but perked back up after i took it out for a while, nettie

This message was edited Apr 2, 2011 10:35 PM
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 2, 2011
11:26 PM

Post #8468142

ok people im going yo bed sot to gei up in the morninbg bill will get me if i don.t love and hugs nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8469570

OH Kelly, I did not know you were sick. Will be praying for that now that I do know. Sure hope you feel better fast and get stronger too.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8469580

Kelly, do you have the head of your bed raised? That helped my acid reflux. I also take Nexium twice a day. I've had my bed raised for the last 10 or 15 years because of the problem. Is kinda funky feeling when you first do it, but you get use to it.a
I did see the sight for the daylilies and iris. I don't care if they are noid, but $25 sounded a little high for 6 plants.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8469602

Thanks Jan;o) We can always use all the prayers we can get!!

Crit, I have extra pillows and that seems to help. I take Omeprazole 2 x day as well and try not to eat late.

$25 actually is pretty cheap when you figure shipping and the time it takes to dig and clean them. The sponsors are all real cool too and sometimes send extra stuff. Last year I got two boxes from two different people and was very happy. Some even bloomed last year.

Finished some outside work since it's nice today, not so hot - now I'm stuck watching the eagle cams again;o) Love those birds!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8469796

You might try raising the head of your bed 4-6", I use 2 bricks. The elevates you whole upper body to keep the reflux from trailing back to your esophogus.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8469839

YUP, I do that too, Crit. But I use a 2x4 block. Thing is after you sleep that way for a while, if you go somewhere and sleep in a regular bed, it makes you feel like you are sleeping upside down. Really weird. LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8469945

LOL mekos - that would be weird;o)
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 3, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8469961

LOL! That would be so funny! ;-)

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8469967

Here's a shaggy poppy - much redder than the camera shows unfortunately. Got the seeds from a local DG friend. There are other colors but the red bloomed today;o) It's a large bloom.

Thumbnail by locakelly

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8469981

Yes, I didn't realize that when I had to go do a sleep apnea test and you have to sleep there plugged to all kind of wires and stuff, and it was like sleeping in a bed with the feet up in the air kinda. They asked me the next morning how was the bed. Did it sleep ok, and I asked if the feet end was higher up than it was suppose to be, cause I felt like I was upside down, they were so confused but was gonna check out the bed when I left. Later as I was making my bed and moving it around in the room, re decorating and rearrangeing the room, I forgot to put the blocks back under it. That night my husband who has no problem like this, couldn't go to sleep and I felt like I was upside down again. That was when I realized it was the blocks and not the other bed that made me feel weird.Had to put them back under there.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8469985

Beautimus! So gorgeous!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 3, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8470165

Gorgeous Kelly! I've never planted any poppies, although I inherited CA poppies when we bought this house. Every one around here says poppies are just too invasive, so never tried them, but that is so pretty, I may have to reconsider!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 4, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8472274

mekos i ordered a small heated starter tray and mini gerrn house got it so i can start seed from that tree peony the book says seed must be kept at 70 degrees for up to three weeks could think of no other way to do that. now tell me what you yhink love nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8473359

That should do it Nettie! I usually just use a heat mat for stuff that really needs the heat but if I could afford it, that would be my choice. Sounds like you got it under control. You'll have to show us how well it does for you. I'd love to see how fast they sprout and how well they grow from it. Good luck.
Hope everyone is safe and no damage from all those storms last night. We had some bad ones come through but we are ok this morning. I saw it had took out power at different places and still off at some. Ours was out for a while but is on now. Just scarey bad winds and hail and lots of rain. No real damage here though.
Check in as you can and let us know you are ok this morning!
God Bless you all. Have a beautiful day. The sun is out now and looking good!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8473564

Weather got a little restless yesterday with some gusty winds and small hail in the morning. No real damage just nasty to be out. We did manage to get out kite up Sunday afternoon at our local park, it was a beautiful windy Spring day.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8473666

LOL, looks like fun Al. Beautiful Kite too. Has anyone heard from Arejay? Has she dug out from all the snow yet? ROBIN, where are you? Just pop your head up for a bit and let us know you are still with us dear.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 5, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8474179

How cool Al! Did you and your DW fly the kite together? You said we, so just curious. That is so wonderful that the 2 of you do such fun things together now that you are both retired! You 2 are doing it right!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8474225

Yeah, two sixty-somethings out there flying kites. I've been flying them for years, never quite got over it when I was younger. It's a lot more fun when kids or somebody else is around. We have a really nice city park here that's great to fly. Everybody ought to try, it's good cheap fun.

They've actually improved them a lot in the last 50 years or so. The new plastic and nylon ones are much easier to fly than the old stick and paper ones we had as kids.

That's GD Livy and son Richie in the back.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8474426

Nice picture AL.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8474625

OH Al , How precious! Livy is a cutie, and look how she is growing up!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 5, 2011

Post #8475173

Well, I love it! I always gave my kids kites for Easter when they were little, and now it's what we give the grandkids for Easter! I love flying kites, and it's really too bad more kids and adults don't know of all the fun they are missing out on! And that's a pretty great park for flying kites! Livy is still adorable, and she is getting so-o-o big! How cute!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 5, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8475177

AL LOVE */the kite i have a big butterfly in the hall closet be longs to erin haley it has be in their for about 3 years i think it is made fron heavy plastic but im not sure. im sure she will have a use for it some windy day. they go real high at the foot of this mountain. once they get up it is harrde to get them down alot of work. not my thing alot of work. i would if i have to nettie.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8475199

Hello everyone ^_^ Insomnia has me up tonight. Looking up how to start Sarracenia seeds.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8475425

Just drop in a wet boggy soil and sit in the sun. Do research the seeds as some seeds need to be kept cold for a while, if those do you can winter sow outside or place in fridge for a few weeks in wet towel. JUST USE rain water though or distilled water never use tap water. The chemicals will kill em before the poor babies even get out of the seed.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 6, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8475574

Jan, does that apply to all seeds, the no tap water? Could explain why I haven't had the best of luck with that method. Gosh, I never thought about that ever!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8475822

Thanks for the advice Mekos! I forgot about the stratifying! I have to look around for VFT seeds when I can. I love those.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8476717

Rainwater ... what is that????? :-( Weather just said we are almost 4" behind in precipitation for the year already! Just don't want it to rain in Eureka Springs, AR the weekend of April 15th. We are going that weekend. Can rain here all it wants to though! :-) PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!!

This message was edited Apr 6, 2011 5:38 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011

Post #8476804

I got VFT seeds extra, gonna send Nettie some soon so don't mind sharing with you too, Tikipod.
Sandi only Carnivorous plants. BUT I have found city water makes smaller tomatoes and less of em compared to useing rain water. So I know it helps other stuff too. When I started catching rain water or filling a large container with city water and waiting a day before useing it on plants, they do better than straight from the hose pipe. Just my own observation.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8477005

Cool, thank you Mekos!

My Sarracenia has been watered with either rain or distilled and seems to be doing well. So far it looks a little like it has survived winter although I can't say the same about my Venus. Black as night but it was planted fairly late in the season.

Since my son loves CP we are going to build a better bog bowl and grandpa might add a few more plants to it.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8477032

The VFT really need to go out for winter or the life expectancy is low. Maybe a couple years, it must hybernate. So that may be what has happened to yours, and it may perk up shortly as it warms up more.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8477058

I hope it does. It was planted in the Sarracenia's temp bog bowl in fall and then we had a bad freeze. I don't think it had time to get established. I had a few store employees tell me they are "short lived" tropical plants ... After reading the cp forum I just said "No. Google it."
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8477072

Well, I know they are short lived if they dont get a time to rest in winter, but if they do they should be ok. Mine froze too and it seems fine. Actually 2 of them a red one and a green one. The green one is putting out now, the red has not woke yet. Give them time. My CPS, Cobra lilies are about to bloom. Got a ball shot up now about to open.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 6, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8477308

hi ladies mekos i have questions for you plrase the little sun dew has little ones around the bottom or it do i just leave them for a while they are almost under it. im not sure what to do with it ? i bought some ogon sweet flag can i grow them in my bog or not. nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8477438

Yep and yep.Haha
You can leave the little ones there OR move them just be careful handling them so not to bruise the tiny roots, but it is ok. Maybe use tweezers or a thin something to gently pick up under the plant and swish in the water and they should seperate. The sweet flags are good in bogs. Should be gorgeous this summer blooming.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 7, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8478463

mekos thank you im still new to this so need all the help i can get. i also have mini cat tails out their don,t know if they would need more water than i keep in the bog what do you think? im trying to make the bog look good and i do love cat tails. but need some one to tell me a few things before i mess up. started to get some of the little fiber optic grass but was afraid it would take over.love nettie i forgot to add the little pitcher plant also has little ones comming up around it not a problem just thought some might need to be moved away from the mother plant.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2011 12:08 PM

This message was edited Apr 7, 2011 12:09 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8479025

Cat tails do good no matter as long if it is damp or wet. They would probably wave madly saying.. the more the merrier, (water that is).
I'm sure it will be gorgeous Nettie.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 7, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8479776

thank you i jost needed a little push to get me going. i just hate to make a mrss ill make pictures if all goes well.love nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 8, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8481972

ok im going to tackle the greenhouse in the morning just grtting ro hot in their take some big things out and put thsm under the oak tree they like it under the tree. i like them out by the water hose. talk later lovr and hugs nettie.and good night.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2011 10:59 PM

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8482028

Hi All: :)

I am a New Bee. I think.

I only just subscribed recently because I was lonely for plant people. I plant mostly natives in my flower garden, and I certified a Monarch Waystation last year.

I have been prepping my beds and moving things around. I think we have seen the last of winter here.

I have joined in on a couple of trades/swaps and looking forward to checking in here frequently.

Thanks so much. And tell me AREJAY - what is envie? :D
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8482147

Hi Amanda! And Welcome! If you are looking for plant crazy people, you are in the right place! We are all addicted and afflicted, lol! You will fit right in! Wow, that is impressive on the monarchs! I would venture to guess that there are going to be a lot of us looking to you for info on them. Oh, an envie is simply an envelope, and be sure to send one to Robin, (Arejay) so she can get you your free seeds! Just click on the link at the top of the page, and it will explain everything! We love sharing!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8482608

WELCOME Amanda!!! We love NEW BEES. Tell us a little about your flowers and your zone. What do you grow and what you like. Anything you are looking for? Flowers are beginning to bloom in my neck of the woods. I'm getting all excited.

Thumbnail by mekos

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8482634

Hi Amanda - You don't have to crazy to be here, but it helps...

Welcome aboard our train!

Al

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8482651

Hellooo!

I feel like a kid in a candy store in here. Can't believe I have managed to live this long without becoming a subscriber. :D

Thanks for the tip on how to participate as a NEW BEE. Envie. duh. I guess I am used to seeing sase and such. Such a dunce. ;)

Mekos: I grew up in PA, college in upstate NY, grad school in Boston. Figured that was as far north as I wanted to get. Moved to NC in '98 and love, love, love the long growing season. I am a flower child, though I dabble with container vegetables. I am a vegetarian but don't eat enough of them. Anywho.

I'm in Zone 7b. Prefer to plant only native wildflowers. I garden for wildlife - feed the birds better than myself, can't kill an ant, love the colors/flowers.

I have full sun, but I have not developed the shade part of the garden as I would like. This is our third season in this house (rental). Last year was awesome, but this year will be even better!

Here's a link to pictures of the Monarch Waystation.

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=716796433&aid=199237

This year I'm going to garden for bumbles (?!). There's a publication from U. Min. called "Befriending Bumbles" I can't wait to have.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG8484.html

We pulled up lawn chairs in the driveway to watch honey bees on the mountain mint last summer. There's a narrow trench along the driveway and against the neighbor's retaining wall. It's the perfect place for the stuff because it spreads like crazy!

I AM an addict. I work for Metrolina Greenhouses which supplies annual and perennial plants to Wmarts, Sam's Club, Lowes, and major grocery stores. This is not a career, but it puts me in close proximity to plants on a p-t/f-t seasonal basis. ;)

So glad to be here. I feel the love.

Thank you soooo much!

Have a great day.

A.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8483063

Bumbles??? I love bumbles. Welcome aboard Amanda.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8483078

Hey Amanda! Welcome to the Funny Farm;o)

Kelly
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8483141

OH Amanda, you are OUR kind of Girl! Mindy is gonna love you too. She is doing research on honeybees and pollinating etc. If ya get pictures with a honeybee on a flower, she would love to add them to the database. We all try to help out as we get some. You have the dream job of the century! Being close to plants for SALE. I'm drooling here! My place is covered in BUMBLE bees. They get to be pests here as they will take over my bird houses and run off my blue birds and make nests in there and fill it with honey. Then hundreds of bees swarm and get after me everytime I get outside so we are not too fond of them here. This just seems to be bumble bee country! (SORRY) But I get lots of pictures with the bumble bees in there.
Anyway, WE all love to see the photos so feel free to post anytime.

Thumbnail by mekos

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8483691

Mekos - scads of pictures with honeybees and bumbles from last year. Let me know where to post them or who to send them to (Mindy?).

p.s. I LOVE the osteospermum. This is one of my all time favorite flower photos, EVER.

A.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8483738

WOW! That is gorgeous. Just post them here so we all can enjoy them. When Mindy comes she will ask if she can use for the database. She has been doing an incredible job with the different color of pollen and different colors of honey. Anything with a honeybee, she will love! We LOVE them ALL. Go ahead and post anytime. People drop in all around the clock, ya never know when they will. That is what so nice, you come on and find beauty waiting on ya! Amazing beauty!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8483852

This is one of my favorite photos I took last summer. Not a honey bee, but...

Thumbnail by Crit

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8483909

OH how gorgeous! I love it too. We get those pretty colored butterflies here too. So cute!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 9, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8484142

oh me didn.t get all the plants out of the greenhouse we tried i ran out of gass missy is comming tomorrow after church and help me fenish/ nettie

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8484175

I ♥ Osteospermum too;o) Here's one in my favorite color in a container I just redid for Spring...

Thumbnail by locakelly

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8484245

Those are just gorgeous!
Forgot to add, NETTIE, don't you overdo out there now. Let the younger kids help more so you don't hurt yourself. That is hard work. I think I am gonna wait a little bit more before taking mine out. Not too sure about the weather just yet. My luck, I take em out and get a hard freeeze that night!

This message was edited Apr 10, 2011 12:23 AM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8484611

I'm ready to take my plants outside for the summer. Need teenage step-son to help me. He puts them in for me in the winter too. Next weekend he is suppose to be here, so will have to wait for 2 weeks, as we are out of town next weekend. I hope I don't let any die this late in the season, as I get pretty bad about watering them all. Carrying water jugs back and forth to the kitchen just wears out my back!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8484929

I'd hook a long hose pipe up and not carry water jugs. You be careful!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8484959

Mekos - maybe start a new thread specifically for bee photos? I know how long these threads can get - might make it easier for her to find them when she's ready to look.

A.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8485151

She told me to give you her e-mail address if you wanted to send some to her. So I'll d-mail you soon with the address. But go ahead and post here, We keep Kelly on her toes with making new threads. OR if you have a photo album set up and can give a link to it so everyone could go look, that is good too. But what ever you like is ok.
I love what she is doing with making a database. Until I started reading her articles, I didn't know there was different colored pollen, that honey bees made different colored honey and that the honey tasts different. (How deprived I have been!)
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 10, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8486246

Has anyone heard from Michelle? I was wondering how the nursery business is doing.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 10, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8486476

well got the greenhouse empty. missy got home called me said we could get bad wind and storms tonight. just made my day i told her to stop listing to the weather liare. they can,t make money out of good weather. got to make people crazy ive already gont so no problem for me i just told bill what she said he thinks he may be getting me new plants. i would try to save them but would probly just go to bed. love and hugs nettie, hi amanda and good to have you love the pictures keep them comming.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 10, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8486574

mitt she is probly working hard. she is always doing things. every time she has been on and that s not been very often. i sure hope she is doing great. not like me ive been running out of energy have alergys to every thing.if mother nature turns on me i don,t think ill be able to do it. get all those things put back in the greenhouse. nettie the garden club is going to the iris fsrm next week we can buy plants but can,t get them until they fenish blooming. don,t think i will go trees are putting out alot of polin, they will keep me drained of energy. the pines around here are spewing yellow everywhere. and they have alot of pine in charleston.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2011 10:18 PM

This message was edited Apr 10, 2011 10:19 PM
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 10, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8486686

double bloom pink tulip got these on clearance last year' never had any of these before. nettie.

Thumbnail by littlenettie

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8486803

I saw Michelle on another thread last night, well, I saw her post from yesterday.

We have that lovely yellow pollen covering everything here. I had to start giving my dog her allergy tabs as she is starting to chew on her legs and feet. That is a sure sign allergies are bothering her. I've had a headache for the last several days, but then again, the wind has blown some of Texas all the way up to us.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8486825

Pretty tulip Nettie! Mine are up, but not quite in bloom just yet.

Al

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8486905

Nettie - that's so pretty!

I have a confession - I bought some bulbs on clearance in November and planted them on a nice warm day in February.

They are blooming now! :D

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8487203

Oh!! Mit!!! Look at what I got blooming. I'd hug your neck if I could. I love Red Rider...
This is afternoon light but isn't it gorgeous??? I love it.

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 11, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8487341

Nettie, I love that double tulip! Can't believe I don't have any double tulips, and will search for some of those! Another gotta have goes on the list! And Charlene, how beautiful your iris is! I can't wait to see how mine faired over the winter and all the new ones in bloom when we get caught up with the rest of you! GORGEOUS!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8487539

That is what is so great!! We get to see iris and other plants blooming over a longer time because of each plant zone.
This is a pretty one too. The blooms just don't last long enough do they????

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8487583

I love your tulip Nettie!! Right now I have no tulips;o( Only certain species tulips will come back here every year. A friend has some and I may break down and buy some. I sure don't have the time or inclination to replant them every year though I do really love them!

Mechelle is on FB more than here I think. I'll see if I can check in with her after work...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8487946

Okay Peeps - I don't have any flowers in bloom...nothing anywhere. Not even a stray dandelion or crocus.

So this is one of my favorite photos from Hawaii, a Protea from the Enchanted Gardens in Maui. Never seen anything quite like it. The flowers are huge, about softball size.

Al

This message was edited Apr 11, 2011 2:20 PM

Thumbnail by lycodad

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8487994

Oh now that's a cool bloom Al!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8488073

Beautiful AL...
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 11, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8488089

Gorgeous Al! I did find something blooming here today! Always a great thing to see this time of year in "Snowdance" lol! Crocuses, and this bunch, are the only things! But they look so happy!

Thumbnail by skellogg

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8488503

Beautiful!!! Love the brightness of them...
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 11, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8488516

Charleen , Red Rider is certainly gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
Keep those pictures coming. I'm two or three weeks away from seeing any irises here
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8488675

[quote="ridesredmule"]Oh!! Mit!!! Look at what I got blooming. I'd hug your neck if I could. I love Red Rider...
This is afternoon light but isn't it gorgeous??? I love it. [/quote]

Those are really pretty Charleen!!!! I love iris!!! I agree, they just don't last long enough. Wish they bloomed all summer!

This message was edited Apr 11, 2011 7:03 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8488708

OH MY at all the gorgeous blooms up there. Nettie, I have never seen any so pretty. First double I have ever seen at all. Charleen, those are awesome! I LOVE IRIS! Those colors are gorgeous.
Al, I love that bloom. I bought seeds to grow that but haven't planted them yet, I got so many sowed, was waiting to see if they sprout first before sowing more.
It sure looks like spring with all the colors blooming now.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 11, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8488982

this is not my night im gona have to have billy come over and put up the prom picture you must see kacis dress ive never seen anything like it im not even sure what color it is. im to old to do much with a puter.nettie.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8490230

♪ ♥ ♫ Happy Happy Birthday to you Mr. Al! ♪ ♥ ♫ Hope your day is as special and fun as you are...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8490237

Happy, happy, happy Birthday to a one of a kind guy ... our Al !!!! Make your birthday as special as you are and go have some FUN !!!

Patti
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 12, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8490429

Happy Birthday to you Al! Hope you have a wonderfully fun day and all your birthday wishes come true ;-)
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8490994

Thanks for all the birthday greetings. Yep - I'm an official senior citizen today at 65. And I'm entitled to any discounts I can get, dammit.

Wifey was took me to a surprise restaurant which was happened to overlook a garden supply center in Rochester. We also went to a specialty store that sold kites. And the kids bought me a couple flight lessons in an antique Stearman biplane (for real!)

Getting old ain't so bad, anyway.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8491009

Hey!1 I'll be 65 this year too. wonderful!!!!♫♪ Happy Birthday and Many many more Al.
Age is only a number, how young do you feel??? I love it!!!!!

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8491090

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Al!!!!!

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8491092

Would be nice if we could send more than one picture at a time here...
here is to you Al...

Thumbnail by mekos

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011

Post #8491157

Wow! Everybody's sending flowers, cake,and drinks. Enough to have a party. Okay, I''ll share with everyone...

Oh, by the way... Somebody said that I was born 9 months after Victory in Europe Day that ended World War II. My dad's draft status ended with the celebration that very night...I'm not saying anything more.

Al

This message was edited Apr 12, 2011 7:13 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8491306

LOL Al... that's too funny!!!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8491424

LOL - my birthday is 9 months after my parents wedding anniversary... and my sister's is 9 months after Christmas. Guess we know what our parents were doing to celebrate;o)
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 12, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8491972

al i know im late but happy birthday snd many more nettie.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 12, 2011
11:56 PM

Post #8491985

ok the bed is calling my name ive had a long day love and hugs nettie.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8492223

My DGS's b'day is 9 months-2 weeks after my son got married. lol
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 14, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8495984

mekos the log al sent is getting bumps all the way down one side of it is that the roots trying to come out or have i done smothing wrong .nettie hade one red peony blooming today cut it and some roses going to have high winds and a storm tonight.did me some flowers for the table they would be gone by morning rain is harde on peonys and roses. thought they might help make me feel better.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2011 5:58 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8496017

That storm just went past us. We were between 2 cells so had no bad weather, just 1/4" of rain. I was hoping for at least an inch. We head to Eureka Springs for the weekend tomorrow.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2011

Post #8496123

Nettie, that is good, it is making roots. Mine has roots popped out now. After you get roots and they grow a little, the little sprouts will pop out to make a limb. Then you will be cooking!
Sounds like you got it under control.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8496145

Mine doesn't seem to be doing too much, maybe it's a little swollen on one side. I don't see any roots yet, this might take some time.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8496383

Depends on the warmth Al. I put mine outside in the daytime in direct sun so the water in the glass is warm all day. I have a couple tiny roots about 1/4 inch long.
Bright light and warm conditions sure help and make it send out roots faster.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2011

Post #8498695

That could be my problem with the Ti log. My windowsill temp is 64 degrees. I have to keep it that cool or the baby tomato plants grow too fast and out of control. All I have to do is move the ti log somewhere warmer.

Thanks Jan

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8499664

On top of the refrigerator might work AL. Had this blooming. Don't know how Hail didn't get it, cause we were getting heavy rains and hail.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8499717

That is SOOOOOOOO pretty!
OK has Arejay dun run out back to go ride the moose again? We can't seem to find her lately.
AREJAY where are you JOHN BOY??????
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

April 16, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8499749

That's a beautiful iris Charleen. I have a few of the broken color irises and they really stand out in the garden.

I heard you're sending your storm up to visit me this afternoon.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8499774

Yep, we found the weather alright - it's downright nasty out there. Inside work for today, I've still got some flower seeds to tray up this afternoon. Lots of zinnias and marigolds this year. Planted some herbs, too. Dill, basil, parsley, and chives.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8499818

It does Jump out at you doesn't it Mit???? All you and Mit stay safe out of that storm. I had enough last night.
Thank you Mit for the compliment on the iris. I feel so honored after all the beauties you have...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8499999

For real yall take care and watch out for those storms. They did so much damage in the states they already visited it isn't funny at all. I just saw so much damage all around, but we were so lucky it missed us. We just got rain and wind and now just wind, but bad gusts of wind! Al getting you a box of Irises, I'll ship Monday.Will try to get a nice assortment of what I have. Country PO don't open on weekends now. Arejay gonna try to get yours off Monday also.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8500106

Here's my 'mater Al - can't tell from the pic but it's full of blossoms!

Thumbnail by locakelly

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8500293

Wow! - That's a lot bigger than the box I sent them in! My Tumbling Toms are doing well, too. I kept a couple of them in 2 gallon pails now sitting in the bigger kitchen window sill. I hope to get them on the porch soon, but the weather is still too cold here. I'm glad yours is basking in the Arizona sun, wish I was.

Al

This message was edited Apr 16, 2011 4:16 PM
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8500455

Mekos, I have a question about VFT. My son got two plants as an early Easter gift which have been repotted into a more decent home for them and covered with a protection dome because it's windy. When I was setting this up, I noticed one has a slight blush in it's mouth, while the other is all green. Is that evidence that they might be different colors? My son noticed the reddish in the mouth.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8500474

Yes, they come in all colors and you probably got 2 different ones. The pink may turn reddish colored as it gets older. I have seen them where just the inside is pink or reddish and some where the whole plant is a deep red color. You can see here some different colored ones.
http://www.bugbitingplants.com/?gclid=CIzvosWSoqgCFUNd5Qodu0Fp9g
I just love them. I went out earlier and pulled some dead stuff out of my bog and cleaned up a little and found baby pitcher plants sprouted where I left the seed pods out last winter and they are sprouting. YIPPIE! AND I have more blooms just about to open on them also. My little Pings have a new baby from the roots. I'm getting all excited now.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8500630

Thank you for the link mekos ^_^ I'll check it out. My son is so thrilled we have more VFT.

I'd love to get more plants and more of a variety but I think I'll have to order online to do that. I have an "herb" mission to the nursery in May and plan to see what they have in the CP department. Until then I have a few growers bookmarked and a jar sitting on the counter, waiting for CP money. ^_^ I just love those bug eaters!!

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8500784

I have a few seeds I ordered of a couple different VFTs I thought I may use as a gift for a winner in a game soon. I'm trying to figure out a good game for them. Also my pitcher plants have blooms so they will have seeds this fall and I have found baby seedlings of the picture plants too so the babies could be used too. Just got to do some figuring for a bit. Haven't done an auction for a while now. Might have to auction them off.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8500796

http://seedrack.com/carnivorous.html
Here is the red I have and my purple pitcher plant, I also have many different pitcher plants too, but here are 2 of mine that you can get seeds for closer. I order from this company too and you get good service with fresh seeds. They just don't have as much to choose from.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 16, 2011
11:19 PM

Post #8501100

hi jan did your orchid bloom if it did how about a picture. love nettie
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8501643

Thank you for the link mekos ^_^ I will definitely have to talk with my Dad about this. (I'm budgeted this year ... boo.)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8502441

Today is Marti001's Birthday!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARTI!!!! May you have many more.
Enjoy your very special day!

Thumbnail by mekos

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8502909

I left her a Happy Birthday on another thread.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARTI
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8502936

I did too Crit, but figured we'd all celebrate!
Here is one of my tall humongus white Iris blooms. This one gets real tall and the bloom is very big and fluffy.

Thumbnail by mekos

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8503036

Very pretty iris. Mine should be starting to put up buds. We usually start blooming around this time, but only had a few blooms last year. I thinned them out and put some mulch on them, maybe they will bloom this year. I'm still gather more, I want to put them all down my fence line.

Please put my husband and I in your prayers. BIG prayers, please. Thanks to everyone!

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8503095

Thank you and have you both in my prayers. God bless you dear.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8503205

♪ ♥ ♫ Happy Birthday Marti!! I almost missed the party;D ♪ ♥ ♫

Thumbnail by locakelly

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8503224

Happy Birthday Marti!! What a great day for a party!!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8503229

Done Crit :-) Will gladly include you both in my prayers, big prayers ;-)
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 17, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8503252

happy birthday marti and lots more. love nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 17, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8503257

crit thought you were comming to arkansas the weather would turn me off. id reather stay home and play in the dirt. ive been doing some of that today and still need to play some more. nettie
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8503604

We did go to Eureka Springs. Went over Friday and came back yesterday. Ya, the weather wasn't optimum, but it never is in April. Sunday was nice, of course, when we got ready to leave.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8504898

My outside bog garden with a bunch of buds about to bloom open. Think this is the purple pitcher plant bloom.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8504906

The whole bog and you can see smaller buds from the others on there.

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8504909

Very cool Jan!

I think we're way past time for a new thread - this one is even loading slow for me. Be right back...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8504913

Here is my little Kaylee walking on her own. She is a year old now.

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8504919

New thread peeps...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1174152/
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8504920

Jan, that is just the sweetest! She is just so adorable, and I can't believe how big she is getting!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 18, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8505487

crit did you get to go to any of the shops, some are real neat i haven,t been in a while.to much walking for me i get run out of gass in a hury lymphoma will zap you in a hurry, body and mind. i get so mad at myself because i can,t keep on going like i did at one time. i hate it. wish you had good weather for your trip if you could go later in the year. it would be better. love and hugs nettie.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

April 18, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8505488

mekos that child is so pretty. she will be a handfull when she gets older love nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8505723

She is already a handful, not sure I could handle much more. LOL
Come on over to the NEW THREAD

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1174152/

NEW THREAD This one is TOO LONG!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America