Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Can you sow a seed too deep?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 12, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8423033

I'm so proud of the kid!

On Friday I did a presentation and workshop at college for some Culinary Students & Instructors. There was no school for the kid and she thought it would be cool to check out the college. I had left my daughter with the group sowing tomatoes to have a look at the garden. One of the students asked her if the plant will still grow if the seed is too deep. Her answer was way better than what I would have said:

Melissa's advice on sowing too deep: "The seed has only so much energy packed in there. If the seed is too deep, it may run out of energy trying to make it to the surface where it will be able to start producing it's own energy, which it gets from the sun."

As Melissa advises, it is best to plant not too deep. This is from a 13 year old. Guess she pays attention to my babbling when we are sowing seeds.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8424484

That makes perfect sense, bravo to Melissa.
mraider3
Helena, MT

March 16, 2011
4:19 AM

Post #8429784

joanna b, I pay close attention to the depth my tomato and pepper seeds are planted, and some come up earlier than others. I usually consider the earlier seedlings to be the hardiest or most viable and transplant only the larger seedlings with the largest root system. It is difficult for most people to only select a few seeds to transplant, but I am convinced the larger the seedling and root system, the better the crop. About two or three out of ten seeds planted ever make it to my garden. I do something similar with lettuce and cole crops, planting four or more seeds to a hole and saving only one seedling. To some that would seem like a waste of seed, but seed cost is not something I would scrimp on. Even in the garden when I am direct seeding corn or beans I replant wherever a seed has not sprouted with the others. I space corn fourteen inches apart in a row and beans ten inches using a measured stick to I know exactly where a seed was planted. Plant vigor has much to do with crop production in my opinion and Melissa's sage advice makes good since to me as well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America