AuthorContent

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8423674

Yesterday I bought a Vietnamese Hollyhock at Lukas Gardens. Can't find very much info on planting them. The tag states full 8+ hours of sun a day...not too sure about that here in FL..I know full sun doesn't always mean full sun here in FL.
In my searching I saw amorecuore has some luck with these...so I need to know should I really plant in full sun? The plant I have has only buds, none have flowered as of yet.
Thanks, Sherri
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8423730

I would like to suggest you email him directly - he's a really nice person and will be very helpful!
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 13, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8424399

That's where it gets a bit tricky. Mine are in almost full day sun, but they are immediately behind the pool screening. That screening definitely filters some of the suns rays. I know it does because anytime I move a plant from inside the screening to out in the yard it benefits from a couple days of acclimation to the direct sun. It's especially true in June & July when the sun is most intense.

I do have another type of Hollyhock that gets half day sun in the front yard and does fine and produces blooms. Perhaps a spot that gets significant sun, but has somewhat filtered midday sun (from a tree, etc, etc) would be the ideal spot??????

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8425759

Thanks Jon, and I will try to find that perfect spot in the yard for it. I've got so many plants that need that morning sun and afternoon filtered shade, I sure hope I can get them to work out, your picture is lovely.
They haven't bloomed yet so no one at the plant nursery knew what they were, but I did and thanks to your previous postings about this particular Hollyhock I knew what a deal I was getting. They are a nice size and were 7.99. They also had some Foxgloves in purple, pink and white that were in full bloom for the same price, those were going like hot cakes. I'm sure when the Hollyhocks start flowering, they'll be gone also.
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 14, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8425780

Last year was the only time I've seen Vietnamese Hollyhocks here and they did sell fast. The Foxgloves you saw were most likely lavender, rose and white "Camelot" Foxgloves. They're a bit more heat tolerant than most Foxgloves. You have to keep them in no more than half day sun (preferably filtered) to give them a chance to survive the summer and bloom again next winter/spring. They like it consistently damp also. Both plants were probably grown by the wholesaler American Farms in Naples. They are one of the larger wholesalers in Florida.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8426523

Well Jon, I took the leap today and bought some seeds. Some Outhouse Hollyhocks and Black Hollyhocks. We'll see how they do here. I would really like to see them grow well. Couldn't find any Vietnamese ones.

Molly
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 14, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8426596

Hope they do well for you Molly. Your climate is probably better for growing some of the older varieties. Took the plunge myself in the last week and ordered specific colors of two different types of dwarf Hollyhocks (Spring Celebrities Series and Queeny Series).

Hoping these two do some blooming this spring/summer. They were planted last year and are now growing at a fast clip. "Double Apricot" (back left) and "Russian Hollyhock" on the right.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8426602

Well I went back to the nursery today for a friend and they are all gone...guess the word is out about Vietnamese Hollyhocks. Didn't see any of the Foxgloves either, but they were in bloom so doesn't surprise me. That place was cookin on Saturday with business.
Mine is now in the ground...It'll be my new little baby for awhile. :)
amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 14, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8426645

Wow, I guess they did sell quickly!!!! They were all sold within a week down here last year. Maybe that nursery will get more of them in. They were offered here once and it was late April 2010.
orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8630198

My message is a bit late; but I am so interested in growing the Vietnames Hollyhocks; but haven't had any luck finding the seeds... can anyone help ? Thanks so much - I would like to start planting in small containers this December (a t least that's what I read I should do).
Rene10
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8638523

I have seeds like jons. they make lots of seeds. Mine are blooming. If you would like some seed let me know.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America