-
AuthorContent
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8424639

I am losing hope for my 12 milk jugs. I don't see any sign of anything other than some green on top of the soil in some jugs. I know they are plenty moist. Am I just too impatient?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8425371

I only have 1 out of 52. some gals in indiana, zone 5 to 6, dont have any either.

hang tight... they will germinate.

the 1 of mine is a Perennial Agastache.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8425460

All of my containers have germinated except my blue poppies, and I'm not giving up just yet on that container. Give you jugs some time. If it has'nt been warm enough, they won't germinate. My jugs just started growing once we got much warmer, which is unusual for this time of year. It's warm again this week, but the weather man said tonight that we have another cold front coming through. I gonna have to protect my babies if we have any frost in the forecast. Annette
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2011
10:21 PM

Post #8425506

Mine are all veggies- tomatoes and peppers-I guess it is just too cold. However, my backup planting inside are going great!
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8426041

do not despair yet. from my name, you can see i am in zone 6a. we are still pretty cold compared to last year. however last year, although warmer, i did not see much going on in my WS containers until late march to mid-april. then last year in late april we had VERY warm spells (88 one day!).

i expect things to be at least that late unless we get a rapid warm-up. i can check my notes to verify (i am going by my inconsistent memory right now).

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8427352

I started several dozen 3.5" pots in 4 big tubs, but kept them on my porch. Only one type of Delphininium has sprouted (Giant Imperial Mix), but there are a lot of Penstemons which I know will be slow. Also a few kinds of Lobelia, Salvia,

I'm in zone 8a, and I'm about three weeks before my average last frost date.

I think next year I'll spend more time on soemthing to keep slugs and most rian out, and put the WS tubs where they'll get some sun.

The Delphinium sprouts made it very clear that they needed MORE SUN.

Corey
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8427914

I agree, it's too early in your zone for tomatoes and peppers to germinate. The peppers especially. I have tomatoes just starting here and we've had some days in the mid 80's already. Peppers have not started yet, but as in years past, will begin when the days are consistently warm.
I suppose that having some containers of plants that will sprout in cooler weather makes it easier to wait. I do love peeking into them and seeing all that green.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America