Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Antiques and Collectibles: Antique Shop - Back to topic

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 94, Views: 830
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 14, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8425858

Old thread is way off on a tangent.

Spent Saturday unpacking more items. I am making new printed tags for everything. I printed out 180 tags Saturday night & Sunday morning.
I write down the serial number as I unpack. Then I list them on my computer inventory page. Next I go to my old hand written books & transfer the descriptions to the computer page. Then I put all the information on labels to either be affixed to the item or on string tags for cups & such.

I still have many hundreds of items to unpack.

Bernie
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8425898

'Happy' Unpacking, Bernie. This sounds like such an adventure!

After mom's passing 5 weeks ago, I have been going through her things and figure that I need an appraiser. There are a variety of things. They had a pitcher collection, some copper lusterware, some furniture ( dough tray, dry zinc, a 6 drawer Coats and Clark thread holder and various crocks, some paintings and prints, a blunderbuss, swords, etc) I think I need a generalist.

Are you located anywhere near Rt 2? We will be traveling this summer and DH wants to come back on Rt. 2.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 14, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8426052

Not sure what RT 2 is.

Isn't it amazing what people acquire. My MIL is 93 & needed to go to a nursing home last fall.Now my wife is in charge of getting rid of her things. I can't believe how much she had in that little 2 bedroom apartment. They are going to have an estate sale in April. The funds will go into her burial account.

Bernie
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8426140

I was a hijacker, Bernie. Sorry. I stay on so many chat threads I got careless. It won't happen again.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8440028

Sorry Bernie, and I was realizing that too. I think Elena and I both realized we were off topic and were done.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 21, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8440071

Update:
Worked on the way back room last few days. It was a mess. It is now prime painted, a false wall installed, & ceiling fixed. Looks usable now. Roof still leaks, so must deal with that.
This room will be the discount/bargain/rummage area. Everything very low priced. Seems when buying antiques, you always get a bunch of stuff to good to throw out, but not good enough to call it an antique.

I now have over 1250 items cleaned & new price tags on them.Quite a few to go yet.
Also have things I have bought & never priced.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8440162

Bernie, have you ever been to Hazel? If you come back to the KY RU check it out. A small town on the TN/KY border that is full of antique shops. I just bought 2 McCoy planters when I went down to see the twins at college.

ttp://www.hazelky.com/antiques.htm

Teresa

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8440959

When will you open, Bernie? Or do you have a date in mind yet? I may have missed that info somewhere.

Great idea about the bargain/rummage room. People love those.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 21, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8441529

Maybe by April 15, by sure Mothers Day weekend.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2011
3:47 AM

Post #8442342

Bernie, I like how you salvage the non- antiques. What a wonderful way for someone to afford pretty things!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8442402

sounds like fun to me ..an some hard work .cant wait to see more

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8442720

Me too! Luv things like this. :-)
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8443308

I would love to shop in your store!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 22, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8443740

I was looking through E-Bay last night. Sure are a lot of sellers that don't know what they have for sale. I was looking in depression glass.
Better in carnival glass, but they know the value of it for sure!
I need to get some new books. Mine are 10 years old & values have changed. I hope it is up & not down.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8443911

Is that how you figure most of your prices? I guess comparing prices anywhere would give you a pretty good idea what something is worth or is that a bad way to do it? How about comparing to Ebay? Is that a good place to look? I will be working on pricing soon and I want to know the easiest way. I have a Hoosier Cabinet but the cooking top that once was enamel is gone. It is just a board surface now. I wonder if I should replace the top with something or just sell as is. I suspect some sort of top would work better. Any suggestions as to what that would be? I also have a Duncan Fife sofa that needs recovering but with the price of having someone do that I suspect it would be better to sell as is. If we cover it, there is no way to know if a color or fabric would make or break a sale, or so I would think. Most people have their own color schemes.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 22, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8444098

I was trying to get an \idea of prices off of E-Bay, but with no one bidding on anything, how can you tell.
The books are called price guides,& that's how they should be used.
On your Hoosier, that's a tough one. Probably better to sell as is. Unless you can find the exact top for it. Of course you won't be able to get top dollar for it. Same with the sofa, probably better as is in the long run.

This little settee, I got at an auction a couple years ago. Outbid two other people & paid about $220.00 for it. It is in perfect shape. Only my petite SIL has sat on it!

I guess for my shop prices, it don't matter a lot what is on an item. If someone wants it, they will always try to get a better price.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8444276

Thanks, Bernie. I would think you might compare like items at Ebay to get a general idea. Between that and comparing prices of stuff in newspaper want ads and at local shops, maybe entering the name of the item in a search would render some prices. I am new at this and am trying to figure what will be worth the effort to fix as compared to leaving as is.

About ten years ago we put the sofa out at our garage sale. It could be seen from the road however. This car came to a fast stop, a lady jumped out and ran down the drive and begged me not to sell that sofa. I told her we didn't need it and she said I was crazy if I sold it. We still have it in the barn!!!! Just gotta get rid of some of those things before we die or our kids will dig us up and kick us in the rear ends. I am thinking of selling possibly on Etsy and even Bonanza.com. Anyone tried either of those yet? I am amazed at the things I do have and some of them are really odd. I have barely begun to dig. I am not as bad as the people that the American Pickers on the History channel visit but that still doesn't make me good.

My Hoozier cabinet has everything intact except the enameled work surface. The picture shows one that a company online builds and the work surface isn't enameled. I think it looks like stainless steel. Maybe that is a possibility. Hummmmm! I wonder! To do or not to do, that is the question. Not Shakespeare speaking this time however.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2011 11:04 PM

Thumbnail by Elena

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8444563

My granny left her youngest daughter her Hoosier. She passed away with cancer and then her son sold it for $25 bucks at a yard sale!!!

:( Some people just have no clue what a piece is worth. Wish he had called me. I live in the next county.

Bernie more pics please. Love seeing your inventory items.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8444626

OMG im sick now..u r soo right either they think its worth a million ,or give it away...

not trying to be a downer ,I have 3 friends that have shops an mall spots,glass is down in price,but they seem to be seeing more foot traffic picking up.Maybe on an up swing.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8444650

I sure hope so. I have do ebay but it just sells to cheaply! My cousin has a great antique shop but her business is way down. In a recession you buy food/gas not antiques as much.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8444660

How utterly sickening about that cabinet. I talked to hubby last night and we may just fix that up for our granddaughter who is getting married in June. She loves antiques and would probably be thrilled silly to have it. She will be moving into his house once they marry and there might not be room for the cabinet in his house. It is a small farm house but he is busy adding an additional large room to it now. I will be checking it out to see if she might want it and if not, I will proceed elsewhere. I was looking online at them last night and found one just like I have. There are even places online to buy parts for them when you are restoring. I was delighted with that.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8445984

I started taking family items that are cluttering my house to the family reunions. The kids are fascinated by their family history and really seem to cherish the things that I give them. Last Easter, there were 4 tables of 'stuff' from my siblings and cousins and larger stuff in the vans and pickup trucks. Stuff they just wanted to get rid of so that they could downsize and declutter their own houses and that their kids didn't want. I know that I have to get rid of everything as my only child doesn't want any of it and I am so very glad to know that this stuff is staying in the family.
My eldest brother is scanning papers and other such memorabilia and sending emails to all in the family asking if they want the 'hard copy' of it. One of my cousins is taking pictures of stuff and trying to either add the story behind it or to ask for the stories. Having all of this on my computer is so much better for me than owning all of that 'stuff'. The pictures of the houses and different furnishings and nicknack's are great to have ☺ owning all of that wouldn't be great at all (for me).- If this works so well for us, maybe it will work for you, too.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8446095

That is an excellent idea. I had thought of trying to keep things in the family but hadn't gone too far with that since only my two daughters so far have shown interest in family things. My son did have interest and been the recipient of some great antiques that we fixed up for him but his wife had entirely other ideas. Therefore he had to let go of what we had given him over time. Of course his two boys aren't going to be interested in "that old junk" since Mama isn't. Both daughters already have their homes filled with the things we have provided and that leaves only their kids. The one getting married will love anything she has room for and the one in college will probably go modern since his long standing girl friend hates old stuff. That leaves two girls still in middle school and who knows what they will want eventually. Their mama has a love for old things but that doesn't mean they will.

All the other family members aren't interested in much other than photos and family history. I spent a year scanning every photo I could get my hands on and gave everyone a set of those a couple of years ago. I think that is about as far as it will go and I really must start downsizing everything except furnishings and other smaller things that were in the family for the last 100 years. I plan to take pictures of family things as I find them that might be of interest and start to decide who will get what later on. One condition on any of it is that if they get rid of anything family they will give family a chance at it first. That is what I did with the daughter in law and she sent it all back to us. That was good even though it crowded my house unbelievably.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8446114

I have the "Dot System" for leaving stuff to my kids...I bought a pack of the colored sticky dots...a different color for each child...I have put "their Dot" on things they have asked for...and if it goes to a grandchild it will be the same color dot as the parent, with a slash through it and their name written there. Works for me!! Jo
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8446116

Tangents, anyone?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8446121

OOOPS! Sorry, Bernie Jo
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8446129

Great idea, Jo. I forgot to say that my granddaughter has been sleeping in my grandmother's bed most of her life. She is the one who will be most interested in things I think. If her little home will have room, I feel sure she will want almost anything I give her. Maybe by the time we check out, she will have a bigger one.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 23, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8446432

It';s OK girls, as long as we are talking antiques.

The only thing my folks had that was an heirloom was a beautiful oak bedroom set they got when they married in 1940. My sister owns it now, which was ok with us boys. She was kind of special, coming after 4 boys & then was born on dads birthday.

Most of the antique things in our house we have bought in the last 10 years.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2011
11:11 PM

Post #8446558

I wound up with my grandmother's things, which in those days was considered worthless. The furniture is oak which nobody wanted back then and the bed was just an old iron bedstead. We cleaned it up and put brass paint on it and everyone thinks it is brass. My grandmother was very poor and her stuff was just the barely get by kind of stuff. My hubby brought it all back to life once we inherited it. Then I got what was left of my mother's stuff and Albert worked on it for a long time and made it all look like new. It looked terrible before that. We lived on a farm and my Dad was very rough on furniture and didn't have a clue as to being careful with anything. When we got the dining room table it was hopeless. A neighbor, a furniture builder and re-finisher that Albert learned everything he would teach him) had a top that just fit the legs so we threw the damaged one away. He had to take the wobbly chairs apart and refinish and re-glue them and also did lot of work on the buffet. No one wanted any of the things I have now and they would have just been given to anyone who would take them but we spoke up and said we wanted them. I set up housekeeping with that old stuff and wouldn't take a million dollars for it now. People used to feel sorry for me but they don't any longer cause my stuff is now lovely and treasured thanks to my hubby.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8446637

i love Antiques ..Or just Old stuff too. Id love to do a shop itd be soo cool..but Ill live through countrygardens..LOL I stopped buying a long time ago,no room for more stuff..

My 2 favorite pieces are quarter sawn oak,a childs wardrobe we use it as a desk,and a ssmall buffet.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8447019

I once bought an Amosandra doll for 25 cents...got to looking at that cute little black doll and it was signed by Ruth Gordon...my DD still has her.Friends would ask if we were going out Saturday night...I's say "where's the auction"

I can attest to the lovely things Elena has...since I have been privledged to sleep at her home. Jo
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8447050

Thanks Jo. Bernie and Bertha have also been in my home to get you to take you to the KYRU but probably didn't notice the furniture. That oak bed you sleep in is about 140 years old. It was handmade by a great uncle of the friend I bought it from. It was in a jillion pieces and stored in a barn when we got it. It was one of the things hubby brought back to life. He and my son fixed it for him to sleep in when he was going to college and had an apartment near campus. The two oak dressers in that room were my grandmother's. They had the original paint on them and it was an orange-tan color with false grain made on it of another color. Some sort of stenciling process from long ago.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 24, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8448053

Oh I noticed the furniture. If i would have had a truck, I would have loaded some up.LOL!
I just admire peoples treasures, & maybe comment sometimes.

Bernie
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8448327

It was such a whirlwind visit that I am surprised you could have noticed anything. It was good having you in my home, if only for a short while. I respect your knowledge and would have probably asked more questions and picked your mind a bit if there had only been more time. You are welcome to visit my humble abode anytime...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 24, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8448589

I'll have to stop this fall to see all the improvements you are talking about. We are road tripping after the KY RU. Going through TN into NC, back through eastern KY, then on to OH. Lots of DG people to check on.

Been working at the store the last few days. Painted a back room we are going to use for a bargain area. Almost got the wall done between the desk area & display area. It's slow going because I have to paint the boards before I can put them together.
I'll be done tomorrow & have a picture!
Bernie
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8448620

I can't wait to see pictures, pictures, pictures. Sounds like you have some mighty fun like plans for fall. We will look forward to seeing you then and maybe we will even make it to breakfast this year.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8448851

Elena, now I will go off topic. Are dates set for RU this year. Someone D-Mailed me this morning asking about it.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8448911

See I was behaving LOL

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8449042

LOL, hugger. :-)

I asked about the dates awhile back but haven't heard anything. I'm just the newbie so what do I know? Maybe it's posted somewhere else. Not that our schedule is soooooo busy (ha, ha) ... we're always "iffy" but we need a big headstart.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8449209

I requested that of Melody some time ago but she hasn't responded yet. I will send her a reminder today and see what she has done on firming the dates with Prizer Point. Without that confirmation, i can't start a thread on it.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8450001

Spent the day at the shop.
Finished this little wall thing. This side faces our desk & checkout counter. My reference books will be on the shelves.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8450007

Opposite side. Shelves for sale items. Can't seem to get enough of them. Somebody forgot to buy enough shelf brackets, so 2 shelves are sitting there.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8450009

These 2 tables are things we unpacked, so now I will be typing out labels tonight.

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8450054

Wish you were closer. I have all my aunt's reference books and papers. I won't have any use for it soon...I hope.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8450842

Nice shelving! The reference books. What a fantastic idea for quick pricing or identifying!

I have the sugar and creamer that's on the left top corner of the white table :o)

It sure is a beautiful display already!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2011
4:52 AM

Post #8450891

im ready for some browsing.Looking great

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8453036

Worked at the shop Saturday. Unloaded a bunch of totes. Came across a bunch of Elegant glass, Candlewick, Colony & Fostoria American. All very pretty.

A couple poked their head in the door wondering if we were open. I told them to come take a sneak preview. Of course my motto is "Everything is for sale anytime", so they took a couple things. The gal lives close by, loves antiques, & don't work. Might be a good one to hire as part time help.

I found some of my books.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8453039

Some of the unpacked stuff.

We are going to stop at an estate sale this morning. Maybe get some things!

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8453067

Looking fabulous!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8453141

Great!!

I remember an old magazine...might have been Mechanics Illustrated...that each month had a cartoon labled "Suspicions Confirmmed"...One showed a store with expensive glassware...like your back wall...and a sign that said "You break it, You bought it".

On the wall behind each piece of glassware was a hole drilled into the next room...and a guy with a round dowel stick...when a customer reached for a dish he pushed the stick to make the dish fall...thus she had to buy it...

Have you drilled your holes yet?? LOL Jo

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8453241

Too funny. :-)
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8453933

LOL!

I sure wish that I could shop your store...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8454000

Got a couple shelves up in the rummage/discount room. Then unloaded a few boxes.

Went to the estate sale & got some good buys, including a nice book shelf for only $7.50.

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8454181

Boy, talk about meeting a need!!! That is cool!!!!!

I love bells and I love cat objects. If you ever have any of those, please post them for me to see. I think your wife collects cats too, doesn't she?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8454217

Looking good Bernie!! The shelves look great holding the stuff you have out. Can't always say that. Shelves sometimes look crappy. Benefit of you being doing what you do is nice shelves. :~)

This message was edited Mar 27, 2011 5:48 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8454307

Things always look goods sitting on nice shelves. Those in the picture are brown. In the main part of the shop, I am doing mostly white.

Just got done buying on an online auction. I won 5 cookie jars, some glassware & other things.

Tomorrow there is one with older toy trains on it. Hope to get some of those.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 4, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8471932

We had the shop open on Sunday from noon til 4 PM. Quite a few people came in.
Sold a number of items, so it is encouraging.
I took a few pics before we opened the door.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 4, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8471934

Inside.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 4, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8471936

Coffee is ready.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 4, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8471938

What you see when you first walk in the door.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 4, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8471941

Picture would help.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 4, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8471947

Little nook area.
Sold the carpenters chest later.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 4, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8471951

Backroom.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8472099

Awesome start. How thoughtful to have coffee available.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8472240

I hope you have HOT TEA also...I'm allergic to coffee. but not chocolate. Jo
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8472242

Looks great Bernie!! That's great you got some stuff sold already!!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8472258

All that I can say is Ditto to the above. Looks like a place that I would love to shop at.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8472801

Awesome! I would dearly love to shop there too and I will take hot tea or chocolate too. Jo carries her own tea bags with her so you only have to give her hot water. :>)
That place is looking wonderful. I like the fact that it is open, airy and CLEAN. It just sparkles and so does the glassware. Beautiful.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
1:39 AM

Post #8472854

Everything looks so nice. Great opening day! Looks like you are in a good location.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2011
1:43 AM

Post #8472857

Yes, clean is a good thing in an antique shop.
Earlier my DH and I visited the twins in college at Murray and I to dropped in to Cadiz for a bit to antique shop. One shop was so dusty! I started sneezing and the guy brought me a tissue LOL.
He said the dealers were responsible for dusting but some don't.
I saw lots of pretties but nothing came home with me.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
1:47 AM

Post #8472860

Such will power. :-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8472962

Bernie, it's a beautiful little building and I love the windows! It's just set up beautifully inside, and coffee is a nice touch!

So much more to set out and aall beautiful!

Jo took my idea about the tea :o)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8472985

I always hate going into a shop where everything is crammed on the shelves. I think you find that more in dealer shops.
I stopped at a big mall in Minneapolis last week to pick up some online auction items. I couldn't believe the rent there. $80 a month for a case that is 3 ft wide, 6 ft high & about 20" deep. No wonder they stuff it full!

Thanks for all the compliments.
Bernie

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 10, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8485685

Just back from an auction. I got a beautiful Walnut occasional table for a mere $60. I will be tagging it at $199.
Also a half of tub full of depression glass & cups & saucers.

I do a picture later.
Bernie
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8485692

Sounds like you hit the jackpot, Bernie.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8486851

Oh Bernie! I can't wait to see a picture!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8486863

I wish u were closer ,I need to go shopping...Your shop looks fantasic..Great work

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8517041

Saturday we spent at the shop. Trying to get the last of the packed up items on the shelves.
We put the open sign out & had lots of customers. Mostly towns people curious about a new storefront.
Some out of towners as well.
Everyone thought it is great that we are opening a shop in their town. I think we will do well.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2011
3:22 AM

Post #8520917

Bernie, your shop will always have a lot of browsers not intending to buy anything, but end up taking a sack home anyway :o)
sassygranng
Milwaukee, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8525469

Your shop is awesome I wish I was close I'm drooling over the depression dishes on the round table. I'd be working overtime to get your things!! do you ship?...Sharon

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 27, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8525472

I certainly could.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8607110

Updated pictures.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8607115

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8607120

Love the Budweiser horses in the window!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8607139

Trying to send another picture, but not working. I'll try again.

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8607199

Hi, Bernie
So neat and tidy. Clean too, the shops around here sometimes can be so dusty! I was wondering what pattern the amber dishes are on the table?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8607307

Madrid. Set for 8. Almost enough for 12.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8607311

Things are looking great Bernie. Are you having a successful venture there? With the times being so hard for so many people it is scary thinking of starting a new business. I wish you bunches and heaps of luck.
sassygranng
Milwaukee, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8607561

Wow everything is lovely . Keep the pics coming!!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 4, 2011
4:18 AM

Post #8607739

Quite a few lookers, not many sales. But that is the nature of the business. Not a business to get rich at!
This showcase came out of a corner grocery store in St. Paul. It's from the early 1900's.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2011 6:20 AM

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8607795

That is so cool, Bernie. Sorry things are slow. I just hope it pays off enough for you to be able to keep the shop going without losing money. When one has to pay rent it takes a lot of sales just to break even. When you had it in your own little place on your property at least you didn't have to pay rent. We are seeing businesses closing all over the place these days. The economic policies of the day are destroying our economy and it looks like we might as well get used to it.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 4, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8608527

Rent is very low. Need tax write off anyhow!

Farmers Market does real good.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8609002

It is good that you can use it as tax write off. I just saw the picture you posted of the table at today's market. Looks good.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8629859

CountryGardens I Thought I remembered you nick name. This link is for you and you only.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/982179/

Continue with the antiques store thread as I love antiques !

Sherrie

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 14, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8629900

I've been watching that thread. In fact I am all over this site.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America