Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Orchid Cactus: CHRISTMAS CACTUS BLOOMS IN MARCH

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 20, Views: 295
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8426524

Please help me understand, why is this plant blooming in March. In years past it would bloom only in December, including this past year. Why would it bloom now? Mind you, I'm not complaining, it's pretty, but now I'm not the only confused one in the house LOL;o))))))). Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8426703

Might have something to do with weather or if it was moved or something. They like a good cool period before blooming.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8427484

I had the same problem this year with my Thanksgiving and Christmas Cacti. They held bud forever and finally bloomed in late February. My Easter Cacti haven't even started to bud. Mine are in the greenhouse and have had temps around 40 degrees.

Thumbnail by orchidman1

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8427514

I just rooted 3 Easter cacti, and one of them has 2 small blooms developing. I had to spray them for spider mites today, hope it doesn't kill the blooms. It's my first year trying Easter cactus. My Christmas cactus had good blooms in December and seemed to have been going dormant, now a new flush of blooms. I'm just going to enjoy the unexpected bonus.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 15, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8429207

Love the color on that one, orchidman1 !!!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8429503

Nice blooms orchidman1. Hope your Easter cactus start behaving.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8433565

It's Golden Dancer. I has some type of infection which gives it brown circles that rot out. I' ve taken many starts hoping to beat this thing whatever it is. Dmail me if you'd like a start once it is "over" whatever. bob

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8433592

Thanks for the offer bob. Hope you can save it. It's a beautiful color. Annette
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8446391

My Christmas cactus also bloomed last month instead of the usual December. I've heard of a couple of others that have done the same. Does that seem unusual that so many plants in diverse locations would move their bloom time?
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8446428

Good quesion peony1066. My plant bloomed well in December, and is blooming again now. Hmmmm!!!! I'm not complaining, it's a nice surprise in March.
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8446805

Yes, I'm not complaining either, but it's interesting. Mine is in the same place it's been for years.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9323033

In my search for info, I ran across a site that said they will bloom out of season some times. They will bloom twice in a season if the conditions are right. Early and then again late. Luciee {;^)
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9325691

Thanks Luciee, I appreciate the information. Annette
haltir
ringsaker
Norway
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9466254

What a wonderful thanksgiving-cactus you have. My Thanksgivingcactus was blooming for its second time just a couple of weeks a go, and i'm hoping it will bloom for the third time in may :)
RoseRustler
Forsyth, MO

November 8, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9704911

My Thanksgiving Cactii bloomed last Thanksgiving, again in Jan/Feb, Mar, Apr/May...not saying they bloomed every 30 days but sometime in those months.

Lived on a balcony til temps dropped below 50 at night...then indoors 12 hrs dark bedroom, 12 hrs bright window. Kept dry until the buds began to open, then lightly watered with dilute feeding solution of 1 part Lowe's Orchid Bloom food to 1 part Lowe's Orchid plant food (green growth), 1/4 tsp of the mixture per gallon filtered water. They bloomed on time for Thanksgiving.

This year they were fed the same solution all year and are loaded with blooms, some already opening. I remember them as a lighter coral red when I bought them three years ago at Walmart. But they bloom a deeper red now. The first bloom fully opened yesterday, but other buds are forming in stages, looks like we'll have blooms still going on Thanksgiving. The feeding solution is the only change I know of. I did repot in Feb 2012 using a soilless potting mix for AVs.
RoseRustler
Forsyth, MO

November 8, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9704924

I meant to say during the time they were reblooming in the first half of 2013 only the side of the plants nearest the window were blooming. When they were almost done I turned the pots and the other side bloomed. The window is a west window. Our location might have something to do with the blooming. We are situated on a high mountain ridge over the lake where we get a lot of light at the west window. I keep a blind ready for afternoons when the sun might be too harsh there even in Winter. When the plants are on the balcony there are situated behind a large pot that contains a Crepe Myrtle tree about 10 feet tall that provides shade and shelter from the breezes and wind.

I don't see any signs that the plants are overworked, they have put on a lot of new growth so that they are thick bushes of leaves, they stand up tall and then the longer branches hang downward. A couple months ago I added some extra soiless AV potting mix with a spoon around the base of the plant working it carefully into the plants. So far so good. But strrrrange!
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9704997

Be ye thankful for strange things, some have worked out wonderfully well. Luciee
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9705007

Congrats on getting multiple blooms. Thanks for sharing the fertilxizer recipe. I'll have to try it next year.

It's crazy how these plants will bloom out of season. My Rhipsalidopsis bloomed on and off all summer and even has blooms on it now😁it's not even remotely close to Easter.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

timmijo
Ellendale, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9706274

Does anyone know where I can get a piece of Schlumbergera x buckleyi? I am interested in the true cactus, not a hybrid. The less spiky the stem segments, the better. The ideal would be a piece of someone's great-grandmother's Christmas Cactus. Thanks for any information.
RoseRustler
Forsyth, MO

November 19, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9712778

I visited a friend today who has a the buckleyi..ie. the Christmas cactus with only two prongs on the end of each stem, and the curved segments..its definitely the Christmas Cactus and is several weeks behind my Thanksgiving cactii which are heavy with bloom since I wrote above. The plant isn't huge but I will ask her if she's willing to give you a piece of it after the blooming period has ended. The color is a soft pink that leans just a little toward peach rather than a blue pink like a magenta. There is some white on the petals, only one bloom has actually opened but its loaded and more tiny buds popping up. Anyway, if she is agreeable after the season I'll get in touch.
timmijo
Ellendale, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9714504

Thanks so much, Rose. That bloom sounds lovely. Keep me posted.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America