Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cooking: Tea Kettle Dilemma -

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 19, Views: 224
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 14, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8427032

I would like to replace my tea kettle... It has a lid that is nice and big and loose and makes a nice "clang" when it comes on and off to fill... All the new kettles have these small lids/covers that fit sooooo tightly that it is a bit if a wrestle to get on and off...and also lots have 'fixed' handles making filling an act of contortion and even cleaning a pain.
Any idea where I can find a kettle like the kind I am trying to replace? So grateful for suggestions.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8428573

I looked around at Amazon and it is difficult to know about the lids.It appears most manufacturers have made lids fit tightly to reduce steam burns. You might look at some of the Correlle kettles, the smaller Beka kettle (still large though) and this one;

http://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-Ceramic-Kettle-Bamboo/dp/B00004RBTN/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

NOTE! - supposedly that Joyce Chen will not work with the flat-top/radiant stoves.

You might also consider a kettle from Lodge or other cast iron company.

good luck!

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 15, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8429530

I have used this kettle for many years and not ever have I seen steam come from around the lid. It is nice and big and loose too. The spout is straight and wide...no 'aladdin -like' skinny style. The brand, if I am reading correctly, is Cuisine Ware. I checked that site and all have the new fit lids and fixed handles. But there is one 'classic' that says 'no photo available' ... Hmmmmm...

I will definitely look at each link you sent--THANK YOU SO MUCH for the sleuthing...I have had no luck on my own
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8429626

I was unable to find any by that name.

I found these - are they similar?

http://www.cuisine-cookware.com/cookware/newfiles/tketts.html
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 16, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8430396

Yes, that is the site I found. But if you look at the last one ...no photo... no photo available... I then googled...cuisine cookware classic kettle and variations of that and could not locate a photo.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8430763

as a last resort, you start monitoring ebay in case some old stock or a nice used one comes up.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 16, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8431029

Yes I thought of that. It shouldn't be so hard... on another thread there were folks bemoaning the fact that they can't get a crock pot like their old ones that didn't zoom up to such a high heat. My husband was complaining that he can't find nice soft rye bread anymore with the flavor that he remembers as a kid growing up in Brooklyn. Things they are 'a changing!
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8453074

We bought an electric tea kettle. I don't know if that will work for you. They heat up faster than the on the stove version and a number of them come with a flip open top. They also have a temp sensor on them that automatically shut off the kettle. Price varies based on what the extras are. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=electric+tea+kettles
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8566906

I also bought an electric tea kettle. I love it.. I have forgotten the tea kettle had no water in it one too many times or forgot it was on and had it boil all the water out. The electric one is much safer for me. lol
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8569858

Missingrosie, ever since I got this pot from QVC, I no longer need a tea kettle. It does everything a tea kettle does and more. It stays on my back burner all the time. It has measurements inside for up to 8 cups of water.
I always make my iced tea in it, and I cooked macaroni in it for supper today. The lid has holes in it for draining so no collander is needed.
Check it out and read the reviews.

item # K4799 at Qvc.com
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 17, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8569930

Ok I will check it out. Thanks. I am sure electric does the job or would not be so popular, but I like to "put the pot on the stove to boil" Gotta have that rolling boil even tho I know the water just needs to be hot.
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8569943

Rosie, it's not electric. It fits on the smallest burner and does not take up much room at all.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8570515

The electric one I have brings it to a rolling boil. Just thought I'd share. It's not like microwaved water which I don't like because it leaves that film on the top of the tea. I always thought I needed a stove top one but I've grown to love my electric one. :)
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8575527

Same here. Rolling boil. If you want to spend the extra money there are also electric kettles where you can set what temp you want your water to be at. I understand some teas need different temps to steep in. I'm fine with whatever water tenp the current electric kettle does.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2011
11:36 PM

Post #8576954

did not find cuisine ware, but found cuisine cookware. wonder if any of their tea kettle is similar to what u are looking for http://www.cuisine-cookware.com/
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 22, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8579138

Ordered the pot suggested by ginlyn. The reviews great and if not working out as a teapot then it will still be a help because I have a granite composite sink and don't like to pour just boiled water into it. This will allow pretty good straight shot to drain.

MVRose,
I wrote to cuisine ware -that is the company- and they have a "classic" with no description and alas no photo. I hoped eventually a photo would come up. - but its been quite a long time since I firat posted this thread and so at least that long hoping for a photo.

Thanks to all of you who posted and tried to help me.
toolman11
Bluffton, IN

June 23, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8650155

missingrosie,

We used to use a stove top kettle for our water but after visiting family in England we bought an electric kettle. Everyone over there has them. I recently wrote a review of the one we bought in 2005 and are still using today. Thought you might be interested.

http://travisvilleroad.com/category/household-products/electric-kettles

Good luck

Thumbnail by toolman11
Click the image for an enlarged view.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 26, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8656552

thanks, will read

I still haven't tried the recent purchase QVC pot. It arrived, I told a buddy, she wanted to try before she ordered (she wanted it for a rice cooker) ... I went on Vacation...she went on vacation...and I still haven't gotten it back!
Sparklebright
Oshawa
Canada

December 28, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9369521

For Christmas I got a Zojirushi water boiler.
Basically it boils your water and keeps it hot for as long as you want.

So whenever I want a cup of coffee I am not reboiling the kettle!

It's pricier than most teakettles but having boiling hot water on demand is so worth it to me!

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2013
5:32 AM

Post #9601983

You could try Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/search?q=tea+kettles&order=most_relevant&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America