-
AuthorContent
maithyme
Andover, MN
(Zone 3b)

March 15, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8428743

I have two hoya plants of this variety - one very old and one only about a year old. They both have red/brown dots on the underside of some of the leaves. On the older plant the brown spots show up intermittently on the plant, not just around the soil line. On the younger, most leaves are close to the soil and most leaves are affected. My guess from reading the previous posts is the problem is fungal. If so should i remove the affected leaves (probably not) and would Soap-Shield - a copper fungicide - or liquid sulfur be okay to treat them with?

They were both outside plants last summer in Minnesota. I never noticed the problem until returning home after 2 months of having a plant sitter care for them. Different watering regimen? Thank you for any suggestions.
jll
Pendleton, OR

March 16, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8431533

If you think its fungal an old knowing hoya person told me to spray with athletes foot spray make sure its aerosole.if its not fungal it wont hurt. if you have affected leaves by the soil I would remove them. check the soil make sure its not staying to wet.maybe this helps alittle.
maithyme
Andover, MN
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8435613

Thank you for the input.
atisch
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8546165

There's a simple, safe and inexpensive cationic surfactant (detergent) that is an effective fungicide, bactericide and viricide that is routinely used in orchid culture that I've been also using successfully with Hoyas. It's the same stuff that's used as an antiseptic for cuts that goes by the name benzalkonium chloride. The trade name of the most available concentrate goes by the name "Physan 20", which is a 20% solution. It can be easily purchased at some nurseries and many orchid growers. A good dilution to use is one teaspoon per gallon. It works best for surface infections.

A pint should cost less than $10 and would last a lifetime for most gardeners.The stuff is clear and very stable such that a dilute solution can sit for many years without losing potency.

Hope this information proves useful.

Allan
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

May 7, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8546571

Allan- That's great to know. I have some Pysan sitting in my closest and some diseased Hoyas outside! Will try tomorrow.
maithyme
Andover, MN
(Zone 3b)

May 19, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8574349

Alan, thanks so much for the info. I love hearing stuff like this that's so helpful!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America