Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Carolina Gardening: Keeping squirrels from digging

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 16, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8428788

I think said something last year about this, but totally forgot about it til today. Squirrels will not dig in a pot that has been top dressed by that lousy evergreen top soil you buy at lowes. I was reminded today about that when I was checking on some roses I had transplanted into pots and other plants that were out. Every last pot not topped off by the evergreen was dug in and the two that were are untouched! Glad I noticed that again .. I'm gonna need to write that one down!
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8429910

That's right, I remember you posted about this last year. I wish we knew what stopped them from digging in it, so strange. Do you have a brand in particular you've used successfully?

I wish I could get them to stop chewing off the tops of my newly emerging Basjoo - they keep gnawing them down. Maybe I should sprinkle some of this stuff around the plants to see if it helps.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8429953

It's called Evergreen Topsoil. I'm thinking they don't like the cedar smell or the texture.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8430568

I think that is Lowe's own brand name. Not sure about this year but last year it cost a whopping $1.39 per bag.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8430842

Well they'd probably be ashamed to charge more .. it's really pathetic ... BUT .. if you let it sit in the bag and in the sun for 6 months it's actually not too bad.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8431259

LOL
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8431880

I am newly subscribed to daves garden and saw this post. It's hopeless to keep the varmits from making pock marks in my mulched beds but if it will keep them out of my raised beds & my containers- I'm willing to try anything. Will keep you posted:-) p.s. how heavy do you put this evergreen on-I hate putting junky soil(lol) in my containers?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8432261

Welcome!!! We're neighbors, I'm up the road in Summerville.

It's actually not bad to look at .. I put about an inch on and replenish it every few weeks or sooner if I start to see squirrel action in it.

moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8432665

Can we get a forum about "Varmits"? I went to find one today...doesn't exist I guess. Fiances mom has a garden that I just helped her with. Moved it, replanted bunches of lillies etc, only to see squirrels happily digging away in it. I checked it this morning, and it looked like they only dug 2 holes. They didn't eat any bulbs though. She had used Scotts Topsoil in it, not the Pro-Mix. I wonder if they are similar.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8432992

Welcome Cornish!!! Hope you enjoy DG!

X - meeting a friend from Hilton Head in either Summerville or Charleston next weekend - her son is getting married in two weeks (he used to be one of my cadets at a military school - time flies!!!) - what can you tell me about any nurseries I may not want to miss on my day trip? LOL
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8433158

Deanna, there is a wholesale nursery on Johns Island you should look into. With your landscaping business you should have no trouble doing business with them. It is Church Creek Nursery, http://churchcreeknursery.com/
This place is hard to find but their material is top quality.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8433296

Thanks Ardesia!! You're the best!
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2011
3:44 AM

Post #8433788

Thanks X, actually ordered dahlias & begonias from Brecks yesterday love them but in past squirrels have destroyed them. Have great hopes.:-)
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8433910

Cornish just reminded us on the sticky up top that Pete's Herbs is now Sea Island Herbs and their driveway is sort of directly beside the wholesale place I mentioned. Other retail of special interest is Hyams (high end) on Folly Road. Use a GPS if you have one, it comes up quickly and is easy to miss.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8433916

Red, to be honest, I rarely buy plants .. 0ver 90% of what's in my garden was thru trades! I only know of 1 nursery in Summerville, Bombadils and haven't been there in years.

X
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

March 26, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8452363

I'll second ardesia's endorsement of the quality of Church Creek Nurseries' plants. They are carefully grown, healthy plants; IF you're a retailer and have access to them! For those of us that don't, if you see a "Church Creek Nursery" label in the pot at your local garden store, rest assured you're getting a viable plant...well grown and attended from start to finish...but get them "fresh off the truck" from Church Creek delivery days (as with all plants from ANY supplier) because retailer's---especially "big box" stores make their money from "through-put" (aka, "VOLUME, not quality). Ask your local Big Box store what their delivery schedule is for their various suppliers of plant material, and plan to meet and greet the truck upon it's arrival. Most growers are real honest folks, but they march to a different drummer than the through-put business model of the "big-box" stores...
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8452437

I third Alice's endorsement of Church Creek Nursery- they rock!

Also, my evil varmint is the armadillo. They fling plants out of the ground and create large potholes. Grrr!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America