Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Hanging in there... Part 7

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 235, Views: 1,229
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8429940

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1149143/#new

Wishing you all a Happy St. Patrick's Day, one day early. I have to go for more scans tomarrow morning, so will not be able to get online.
Monday will be treatment # 3, Half way mark !

I have been starting seeds in the basement, at a much slower pace. All tasks are done in short time spans and need a rest period. But I could not imagine a year without fussing over some seeds.

(picture is from last year)

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8429993

All the best tomorrow..

Here's a pic from yesterday...spring has sprung!!!!

Thumbnail by flowAjen

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8429995

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. I know you will be glad when all these treatments are over. Ric is making corn beef and cabbage with potatoes and soda bread tomorrow. We are having Josh and my parents over for lunch.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8430252

Here is a little bunch of daffs for you.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8431240

Lady--
Hope all goes well for you! I feel bad you having to go through all this...
You are strong! Just think positive thoughts--and spend as much time as you can in your
Garden--even if it is just for the peace it brings to your soul...

I have no flowers to post yet. Too cold--too wet...
This weekend is supposed to be really warm--maybe close to 80* in Friday! WOW!
I am sure many small blooms will just "POP"...
Still need to fertilize my lawn...I'll have to see what kind of stuff I have laying around...

We had more rain--so nothing is really drying out. Can't work in a "mud-flat"...:o(

Will post whatever I can find in bloom!

Hugs to you---Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8432064

Chris, I'm sending my sunniest thought your way for a good day and good test results. I need to get away from the computer and put a ham in the oven. I goofed and had CB and cabbage last week! Here's a pretty (florist) rose for you.

Thumbnail by sallyg

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8433554

I'm with you, I think I would have to fool around with a few seeds every spring no matter what shape I was in. I've got a few things sprouting in the basement now too, but it's too soon to say if I'll manage to stick with my intention to not get too carried away with seed starting this year LOL.

These "pink" crocuses are a new favorite of mine since they multiplied so cooperatively last year!

Thumbnail by critterologist

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2011
3:38 AM

Post #8433784

You should see my Castor Bean seeds they look like tall skinny telephone poles. Really I started them a bit early thinking that last year it took them awhile to get some height and these are just taking off. I won't be able to keep them under the lights as they are almost touching them already.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8433982

Coleus seedlings don't like me (sniff), maybe my area is too cool or my potting soil is not good. I do better with big chunky things. I have castors started also, and too tall also LOL . Moonflower vines is cute, they put up two huge winglike seed leaves . Tomatos are pretty easy and I think its neat that the baby foliage smells like tomato foliage even while tiny.

Chris, hope you can enjoy some nice mild sun like we have down here today!!!!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8434420

The scans when well, I'll find out the results on Monday when I go for treatment #3. I could not wait to get home as the day was warm and sunny and I wanted to get out in the yard.
I was home by 3:00 so I changed into my comfort clothes and headed outside, I did some lite raking and a few other lite garden chores. Resting in between. It will take me awhile to catch up on what I should have done last fall, but slow and steady gets me there.

Gita, I was surprised with all the snow and rain we had, that my back yard is not a mud-flat too. I guess you had more moisture then me.
Thanks everyone for all the pretty flowers.
Holly and Sallyg, Castors are one of the last seeds I start. They get tall fast. You may have to pot those babies up and grow them as exotic container plants. LOL. Start some more later for garden plants.
For some reason I cannot get Moonflowers to bloom for me, It might be my growing season isn't quite long enough. I got then to bloom when I lived in Pgh. : (

Sallyg, what happens to your Coleus seedlings? That's ok I have a co-worker that can not get Jello to set, we have grilled her on how to make Jello, the only thing we have not done is watch her make it. LOL

I did some more gentle raking and cut down some of my butterfly bushes this morning, the temperature is going to drop later today, so I wanted to get outside when It was still nice out.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8434531

In taking a break glad your scans are done. For some reason I thought my Castors were slow to start last year that is why I started them now. I have so many seeds I was thinking of chucking these and start more later but I like your idea better. If I can find a spot to put them I started a ton of them. LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8435888

Jill, I did get the corrected copy, thanks.

I'm still down with the H1N1, but am up a bit more now. I hope to have some energy soon. DH said my crocus are blooming.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8439551

Praying for good test results tomorrow, LadyG!

Billy, so sorry you got hit with flu... glad you've turned the corner with it. I'm glad to be able to get out into the yard again myself... it was sad to see the first crocus blooms from inside the house! You'll get there. Give yourself a break... when you finally get a little energy back, use it to simply enjoy being up and feeling better, don't try to do any of the 101 undone things around the house.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8440017

I'm sure we're all sending good thoughts up to Chris today on round 3. Halfway done!
Huge mental hugs--

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8440022

FlowaJen, beautiful little iris!!

Catbird, I love those little daffs!

Gita, 80*, wow, basking weather!

Sallyg, so beautiful!! I love the color!

Jill, the pink crocus are a beautiful color too. I love those pinkish purplish delicates!

Holly, I had to smile at the castor beans. I did that with Lions Ear one year. Oh, I just barely got them out in time, LOL!

Sallyg, the columbines don't like me. I don't see a sprout yet :o(

Chris, what were the scans for? I'm glad they went well!

I got a big smile over the Jello girl :o)

Jill, thanks for the encouragement. It does feel nice and it does make a difference in how I all of a sudden feel better :o)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8440025

Yes me too! I had things written and then went back to see everyone's pictures when I realized the thread wasn't a mile long. I wrote that first and of course it erased.

Paryers for a good treatment!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8440061

Ladyg, Good luck today.
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8440552

Hoping you get really good results today, Chris!!! HUGS and a big pink posy from me to you.

Thumbnail by DaylilyDiva219

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8441211

Back to square one. We switched chemo drugs. The Doxil I was on is not working for me. Scans showed the tumors in the liver are larger, but the liver is functioning normal. There are new durgs coming out all the time, it's just a matter for finding the right one. What might work for one will not work for another. One step at a time.
Still fighting!

DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8441225

Oh Chris, that is such a bummer! I'm sorry the liver tumors have grown, but it is good news that the liver function is normal - which is a good sign.

Do they have a new drug in mind, and if so, when can you start the protocol?

Hang in there, as you do so well, stay strong, as you ALSO do so well, and I hope you can have a restful evening. Here's an armful of pink posies for you!

Love & Hugs, Barb

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8441248

Yes Hugs and Love, Hopefully the new chemo will do the trick. Good news that the liver is working well.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8441260

Barb, Yes I started the new chemo drug today, did not want to waste the 1 1/2 drive. It was a long day as the first treatment is slow so that if I have a serious reaction they can catch it early. They also have to give preventative drugs before hand to minimize any side effects.
My chart will soon need it own room. LOL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8441274

Chris, that is SO not the news we were all hoping for, but yes, the great thing about all the research being done and advances being made is that there are more options available all the time. Hopefully the next one that your oncologist tries will be the one that knocks those tumors back but good!

I know it's hard to keep the positive vibes going when you're faced with a setback, but as you said, you're still fighting, and we'll keep hoping and praying with you, and hopefully in a few days you'll be back to fighting even harder. I think of a boxer who gets hit hard and goes back to his corner to regroup, get a pep talk from his trainer, a quick shoulder rub, maybe a drink, and then he comes out fighting harder than ever as his fans cheer him on. :-)
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8441375

Good analogy, Jill - Chris, we are all in your corner!!! Love and hugs comin' atcha from all over!!!

Glad you went right on the new drug, too. So you did indeed have a long day. Take care tonight, and do something special for yourself - you deserve it!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8442366

Chris, I see you are still fighting! You have a nice strong liver! Prayers for finding the right combo sooner than later!!

You are also paving the way for others who will have trouble with their drugs. They will be very grateful for that.

Jill, a wonderful mental picture, and I can see Chris listening and nodding her head. In a burst of energy she gathers strength and has the perfect knock out punch! And she is energized!

Hugs and prayers Chris!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8442378

If wishes were horses, there'd be a thundering herd headed your way. You still have those claws firmly embedded in your Hang in there Kitty rope. Chris, you are the best!
My Kitty is not hanging but he'll be checking in on you.

Thumbnail by sallyg

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8442405

That is the best picture!!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8442453

Thanks 'billy'- he cracks me up, that window is over the kitchen sink and he'll climb on a chair and pop up 'in my face' to let me know he wants to come in!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8442457

pretty kitty
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8443311

Jill, I like your analogy too. I did fell a gut punch yesterday but got up fast when talking about the next move and starting the other chemo.
Sallyg, your kitty is cute, and I love the card you sent.
I started to listening to my Enya music before going to sleep at night, It is very relaxing and soothing. I had gotten away from it, and was reading instead, but getting to sleep has been a issue lately and one of the side effects of this new chemo is trouble sleeping, I am going to try natural methods before going the drug route.
So far I am feeling pretty good, took the dogs to get groomed this morning, picked up some things at the local grocery, and am making my Cowboy beans and rice. may knock out a pan of cornbread to go with it.
My seeds are looking pretty good in the basement. Need to start more. I am a bit behind, but taking baby steps. I want to scatter some poppy seeds out in one of my outside beds that was sent to me at the swap 2 years ago. I never got around to it last year.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8443462

Oh, I have sprouts of Jill's Pink Petunias seeds from Swap!!! It's a good omen I am sure.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8443521

love that photo Sally

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8443786

Lady--

I have Orange California Poppy seeds--if you would like to have some...

I dug the plant up last fall--and gave it away----HAH! Wouldn't you know it--
I have now THREE new plants growing in that same spot!! I know the rots go deep--so I am stuck!!!

So many of my seeds are up already. Weird--that a whole tray of my Heirloom Tomato
seeds have not sprouted????
Tonight--I reseeded them all--maybe I just need to wait--but the ones in another tray are coming up.
The "dead" tray is the one I was seeding for my manager...a bad omen!!!!

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8443827

I've got a bunch of little pepper seedlings underway, but I need to start my tomatoes, like, yesterday! I sowed a whole bunch of 'Pink Wave' petunias and need to start some of those little pink petunias (the ones Sally started) to go with them. I'm hoping to have some nice pink petunias to share at the spring swap, but I may have started them a bit late. No matter, they'll bloom eventually... and this way, they won't need big pots while they're still inside. I've also got some dense rows of Torenia seedlings that will need transplanting soon... even if I pot them up in clumps, looks like I might have a few extras to share. :-)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8443844

I'm waiting to see if my peppers will come up.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8444147

na na nee boo boo, my tomatoes sprouted today too! Limbaughs legacy potato top, thank you jill

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8444451

Sallyg, I love cats who know what they want. :o)

Chris, I like Enya, and Natalie Merchant. She's got a very pretty soothing voice and I've been thinking about her lately. I'll have to have a listen.

Gita, a whole tray is unusual. I hope your second sowing is more sucessful.

I can't believe you guys have things sprouting all over the place! Wonderful
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8444938

Morning everyone, I got a good night's sleep, with the help of a sleep aid, after consulting with my Oncology nurse yesterday, and listening to Enya. Love her "Paint the Sky with Stars" album.
Thanks Gita for your kind offer of seeds but I have several packs of poppy seeds the Stormy sent me 2 years ago and need to be planted. If I get around to it. Your AW and Beef Stake begonias and the Burgmanisa that I got from you at Holly's swap are growing strong, I think of you every time I see them.
Jill, those petunias will take off blooming once they get out side, I noticed that the one year that I started them late. They were the best flowering petunias that year.
I have some pink Geraniums, Ice Rose, started as well as pink petunias, Dolcissima Fragolino. I have a whole store house of seeds I can play with, I was in several Round Robin seeds swaps, and haven't made a dent in all the seeds I have, and I still buy more, call it an addiction ; )
I have 2 of Doc's Purple Millets sprouting, I like them as a center focal point in my big containers. I sowed six seeds and only 2 are up so far, may have to sow more as insurance.
Gita, that is odd that a whole tray did not sprout, are they the same seeds as the other tray?
Billy I'll have to check out Natalie Merchant, I am not familiar with her. I can do that pretty easily on Amazon. com sometime you can listen to small snippets of the album to try it out before you buy.
Today is a dreary day, had a dusting of snow and then rain this morning. Looks like a seed sowing day in the basement.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8444944

Good morning! It is dreary here today too. I prepared for it by spending a little extra time outside yesterday while I could. Making hay I guess !!!!!!!!!!! There is plenty of inside work I should be doing too...outside work is usually just me making an excuse to be outside.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8444965

Sallyg, I am the same way, I can work outside all day, but inside "how boring". Nothing like the sounds of nature and the feel of the sun and gentle breeze to make the work fun.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8445128

rain here, will be putting up my indoor Easter decor

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8445424

OK! I need to clarify that the "whole tray" is only a section (cut apart)
from a larger cell sheet.
In the (small) "whole tray, there are only 10-12 cells total in 2 rows.

Perhaps I have collected seed from not the best Tomato speccimens?
I keep saving the seeds all summer long--every time I eat a tomato.

Shouild grow one of each Heirloom (3) from the original seeds I had
to start with. Might refresh my supply...

Gita

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
5:08 AM

Post #8446729

Chris, I went thru all my seeds, bought and saved and made a list on the computer. I too do not need to buy any seeds!

Gita, laughing, it's still a ''whole'' bunch that never sprouted.

Ah, you may have saved seed from a not quite ripe tomato! That's one thing I haven't done yet, save tomato or pepper seed. I keep thinking I'll have time when I'm older, LOL! I get older every year and still haven't found time.

I have come to the conclusion that my Columbine seed was too old, even tho I did hold some back, and will just sprinkle it on the ground later today. I have it coming up everywhere outside, so I do have plenty to look forward to!

Next month we'll carry in the monster seed starting shelves and I will officially start spring! I can not wait to smell tomatoes!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8447189

Had to take a picture just now to show you what I am talking about...

Here are the 2 trays. On the left--are Tomato seedlings I sowed for ME!
Almost ready to transplant???
On the right is the empty tray--the one seedling you see on the right is Cilantro.
It does seem that I may have forgotten to put seeds in there...

So I did again--as I told you above... Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8447201

Here is another tray--going Gung-Ho...

Middle row--basil--2 trays
On the right--Zinnias and Dill
Left back--Angelonias ans, the smaller ones, Candy Tuft...
Left front--the 2 empty trays--are "Pretty Purple Pepper"--and "Lantana'
Not up yet!

Overall--I am pleased with all the seedlings...
I know some are sooner--and some are later...Patience is the name of the game!

OMG!!!! I just realized I have forgotten to seed the Daturas for my Boss-Man (Donn).
And--they are slow to germinate!!!! Mamma Mia!!!!

Gita

edited to add that MAYBE???? the ones NOT sprouting need dark to germinate.
I did not have time to look all that info up...

This message was edited Mar 24, 2011 10:53 AM

Thumbnail by Gitagal

DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8447282

Hey Chris, Just wanted to stop by and let you know I'm thinking about you, as always. Hope the weather hasn't continued its wintry trend, but I fear it has. We're having dreary, cold and cloudy days down here in VA too. Somehow it just seems much worse when we're ready for Spring (AND the calendar says it's here)!!!

Hope you can stay inside, all warm and cozy, and enjoy looking outside from a nice resting spot right now. Take care, don't push yourself, and I hope you can feel the love and hugs coming your way today!! xo xo

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8447843

Gita, if you're saving seeds one tomato at a time, I'm guessing that you aren't fermenting the seeds... fermenting can improve germination (breaks down some sort of germination inhibitor in the seed coat) as well as help to prevent disease.

I finally got my tomatoes sowed last night -- a little late, but they'll come up quickly on the seedling heat mat. I just have to remember to check on them frequently, as they will get leggy really quickly once they germinate unless I move them to a "cool" shelf!

Thanks for the encouragement on the petunias, Chris. I think you're right, even if they're not blooming by planting time they'll catch up pretty quickly outside in the warm sunshine!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8447971

Jill--
I have never fermented my Tomato seeds! Just seems unnecessary!
They still come up...Too much work too...I DO have the directions on HOW...

I do wash them in a fine sieve to get as much of the Gel stuff off of the seeds--
and then dry them on a plate. Then scrape the seeds loose and bag them up.

This has worked for me every year. I really think I just forgot to seed those cells.
Got carried away making all the labels...listening to my favorite music---
drinking some wine---etc...

One funny thing happened last Spring with my Tomatoes...

I KNOW I took the seeds out of my envelope of my saved "Sun Golds"...
I planted them--and they grew-----and then I put them in my bed----
and they grew and grew--and I, already noticed something different...Hmmmmmm...

What ended up growing was a small, red Cherry Tomato--NOT the "Sun Gold"
I had planted...Oh, They were good and tasty and productive...
Is it possible that the "Sun Gold Cherry" is a Hybrid????? I thought it was an heirloom???
Worked for me the second year I had them! Still got "Sun Golds" from the saved seed.

Trying again this year...We will see...Gita

Here are the Sun Golds amid some Cherokee Purples on a diner plate...
They are SOOOOOO sweet!!!---Like candy!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8448180

I'm pretty sure Sun Gold is a hybrid, although somebody might have a dehybridized seed line...

My friend Irene lost 100's of tomato seedlings one year to verticulum wilt, which she is pretty sure originated with some seedlings from unfermented seed, so I'm always careful to ferment my seeds.

I had a row of petunias that "didn't sprout" last year... yep, you guessed it, found the unopened seed packet and realized I simply hadn't managed to get that variety into the seed tray! Have you poked around yet looking for the seeds in the potting mix? That's what I tend to do when I get impatient... LOL

Oh, and peppers (like your 'Pretty Purple Pepper') don't need dark to germinate, but they'll pop up faster if you put them in a warm spot.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8448235

Thanks Jill---

My light set-up s pretty warm. Not only from the lights just above--but also fro the
Heat register just underneath the shelf unit.
Actually--I often think it is too warm--as my seedling trays dry out so quickly.
I will be patient with the PP Peppers. They came up OK last year...

I cannot really "poke around" in the mix--as it has a high Pearlie and Vermiculite content.
GEEZ! I could not tell a seed from a bit of Vermiculite or anything else in there...
Just have to wait!

As you can tell--I do not do a whole lot of seeds...but--as a habit--I always put 2 seeds
in each cell--just in case...More to share at the Plant Swap...or give away at work.

Just biding my time here...Gita

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8448773

Gita, very nice start on the plants!

Interesting about the Sun Cherry. I ordered the red for the Grandkids to sit in the yard and snack on to their hearts content this summer. I do believe they are hybrids.

YUM YUM YUM!

I thought maybe I saw a columbine sprout trying to pop up and decided it was a vermiculite chunk, LOL!

I am not going to get in a hurry and sow anything yet, no matter how good all of your's sound!! If I do, I'll be sorry. June is a long way away!

Daylilydiva, that is THE most beautiful picture, sigh...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8448794

I like the red grape tomatoes to grow in pots by the gazebo for the kids. They can easily see which ones are ripe and they love picking them right off the vine and eating them. LOL
Chris hope you are having a great day.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8448856

billyp- I have been there on vermiculite chunks. Esp after a week or so when some of them get algae on them LOL
I was potting up some daturas yesterday and saw that a mini crop of SOMETHING had sprouted in my bucket of soil. They could be weeds, or anything, I had to put a few survivors in a little cell pot and let them tell me what they are.
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8449185

Thanks Sally - it's a rose called "Westerland" from the Lewis Ginter Botanic Garden in Richmond. Such a beautiful color - it really glows. ;-)

Holly, great idea to grow the grape tomatoes where the little ones can enjoy them! My problem here is that the "little ones" who enjoyed MY grape/cherry tomatoes were dastardly chipmunks. One afternoon I watched one greedy little rodent go back and forth for hours, taking one tomato at a time until the plant was bare. GRRRR!

Sallyg - too funny about the vermiculite chunks with algae - I've also been there, done that! LOL!

Chris, hope you're feeling well today, and that your weather is improving. The drums are beating down here, with talk of snow, and even accumulation over the weekend. Bleagh. It won't last at this time of year, but still, such a headache when we're all chomping at the bit to get moving on spring projects! Sending you some pink tulips among some sunny yellow ones today... Stay warm and have a good weekend! Hugs, Barb

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8450896

Holly, when the kids found the drying tomatoes I was growing, and ate them as fast as they could chew, first I cracked up, and them resolved they would always have tomatoes to eat! LOL!

Sallyg, LOL! At least they turned green! Ah yes, they might be something and we cannot kill them till we know what we have.

Barb, glow it did. It was just perfect!

Oh my, I'm swooning over the beauty of the blooms! That really lifted my spirits!

We had two maybe three snowflakes yesterday. I'm convinced we are finally going to have a dry Spring and I am going to be hauling water to a lot of Astilbes!
There has been little sunshine again this year and I hope it's not going to stay this way. The clouds are nice when it's 90*+, but not now, when we need cheering up!

It's just getting light and I hear the robins and cardinals, Oh, how lovely that sound is!

Chris, prayers for you to keep feeling good! You speak so freely now it's easy to forget you are tired and don't always feel the best.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8450919

Quite chilly here yesterday--, even so, it is much brighter than in December and you 'feel' more springlike despite the temps.

''It's just getting light and I hear the robins and cardinals, Oh, how lovely that sound is!

Chris, prayers for you to keep feeling good! You speak so freely now it's easy to forget you are tired and don't always feel the best.''

Same from me.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8451085

Thinking of you this morning, Chris, and hoping the new chemo isn't clobbering you with its side effects. We're all in your corner!
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8451243

Morning Chris, I agree with all of the above, in spades! I hope the lengthening of the days is helping your spirits too.

We're all definitely in your corner!

Sending you a photo of the apple tree down by the pond, in full spring finery. This photo is from last year, but it's just beginning to bloom again this week, even though they are calling for up to 5 INCHES of snow overnight! (I'm choosing to believe THAT's not going to happen) :-)

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8453915

Hi, everyone! I got hit hard with the Neulasta injection, on Wednesday. if you don't know about Neulasta, it is to help renew your redBlood cell count that the chemo can weaken. It can cause bone pain, I had the body aches like a really bad flu. I was scheduled for a Echo-Cardiogram on Friday and was going to drive myself. So I did not want to take the pain meds that made it dangerous to drive. So I just took Ibuprofen to take the edge off. By Friday I knew that I had to reschedule, when I called, they had me set up at the wrong hospital, which was father away. The test is scheduled for this Wednesday, and if I can't drive my friend can take me. After I called to reschedule I took my loopy pain pill. Today is the first day I didn't take one so things are getting better. Having trouble getting to sleep, a side effect from the chemo, and digestive problems that are starting to work out.
I got some lite cleaning done today and have a simple Minestrone soup in the crock pot.
Checked on my seeds in the basement and the are doing fine, hoping to start Tomatoes and peppers tomorrow. It is very cold but the sun has been out, which sure makes me feel better.
I really appricate everyone adding to this thread and all your well wishes, I always know where to come when I need a hug or laugh, you are all true friends.
I noticed that my lilac bush out side the kitchen window is getting some small green tips so spring is not far away. As the day pass I should be feeling better and if it warms up I my be able to get some yard work done. Keep your fingers crossed.

Hugs everyone.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8453940

Lady--Hang in there!!!! All this too shall pass...

Spring is coming--and we all can send you a lot of flowers---via the magic of
our computers...

Just know--you are never alone! We are all here to support you.

Better than this "guy" in the picture!!!

Many big hugs to you! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8454030

Hi Chris--Rumor has it that warmer weather is coming. Good to hear from you, wishes for good results on that test, though it sounds like one of the easier ones.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8454150

Hugs to you Chris. Hope you will be feeling better soon. Fighting Cancer isn't for the weak of heart.
DaylilyDiva219
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8454647

Oh Chris, I'm so sorry to hear you've had a rough few days. I hope you're definitely on the mend now, and feeling up to doing a little gardening, if only indoors. That's good for the soul too! Tonight, I'm sending you a picture I took a few years ago during the National Race for the Cure, so you can see how many supporters there are out there. My pink arrow shows the lines of people just going past the STARTING line, as we were about 15 minutes into the race... Usually about 50,000 people turn out, up to 8-10 thousand of us wearing our pink "Sorority that No One Wants to Join" T-shirts! Hang in there, and take good care of yourself.

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8455257

I can fell that things are getting better, a bit more desire to do some things around the house.
Gita when I looked that your P. Bear picture it looks like a fist raising it up out of the water, a cup half full. I'm not a water person so I need all the help I can get. LOL
I think this test will be an easy one on Wednesday, and will come out with good results, I think the news of having to change chemo got the heart stirred up a bit, I really was not expecting the negative news so early in the game.
When I was working full time, I never looked like I was fighting cancer except when I was wearing scarfs and hats at work, it amazed many of our patients that I looked so "healthy" some of them expected a cancer patient looking frail and pale. I know that there are cancers that will do that to you, but I wanted to give others hope and encouragement if it ever struck them. You never know what life will throw your way.
Yes, we are getting close to the "Races" this time of year, there are several in our area, I have never attended any, just did not want to go on that emotional roller coaster. Everyone fights this in their own way I guess.
We are headed for a warm up this week if the 40's can be called that. It will be nice to go outside without putting on the winter coat and hat just to go to the garage.
I will be getting my sugar snap peas in really late this year, so I hope we are not in for a hot spell before the first harvest. Peas hate hot. I did spot some red nubs from my rhubarb, I had 3 plants but hubby over harvested to heavy out of one plant and killed it. I don't think I'll ever turn him into a gardener. He always told me how much he hated helping his grandmother in the vegetable garden, hoeing corn and weeding. He is not a vegetable eater either.
Well, off to get a shower and some breakfast and start my day,
Have a good one, Love you all.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2011

Post #8455297

We love you too, Chris!

I'm glad you're coming back around to feeling better. My peas aren't in yet either... maybe if we water them with ice cubes when summer comes... LOL

Jim isn't much of a gardener either, but he'll help with things he likes to eat, like tomatoes and apple trees!

*hugs*

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8455874

Barb, what a beautiful beautiful picture!!

Oh Chris, bone pain, bad!! Dang it all anyway! I will be so happy for you when this ordeal is over!!!

That lilac blooming will be a wonderful thing to look forward to. I hope it smells to high Heaven this year!

HUGE HUGS anf prayers!!

Awww Gita, great photo! A perfect "Hang In There!" I do think we need a big strong bear instead of a cute little kitten sometimes :o)

Barb, what a fantastic bunch of people! That's just amazing!

Chris, I had to smile. I just heard the garbage truck and will be putting on my winter coat and stocking cap just to walk 90' to the road to get the cans, LOL! Yes, it's still that cold here!!

Yes! My rhubarb has broken the surface too! The nice thing is rhubarb will outgrow it's space so there is always a plant to dig and divide. I had 7 plants and realized it was too much. I am down to 4 now and it's most likely still too many, but I'll just have to have more pie!

It's funny. I hated having to weed and pick from the garden as a kid, but now... I couldn't not do it!

Love ya and sending big hugs!

Jill, I'll bet Jim is a huge help :o)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8456582

Lady--

I loved your comment about the ice the bear is clinging on to looking like
a big fist sticking up. Just think of that 'fist" as all of us on DG--holding you up!
DON'T let go!!!!!

billy--we are just as frigid here too! It is like the middle of winter---just that the
sun is out and shining--and the Daffs are all blooming...Weird!

Yesterday at work--I was all bundled up in my winter jacket--apron tied on the
outside, gloves on--watering plants in outside garden.
Insane! I tell you! Low 40's--wind blowing...and we were watering?????

It is hard--as I am scheduled to water every day I work. Even if just for a couple of hours--
I still feel I have to water something!!!! There are others out there watering as well...
but they are garden people and dress for being out in garden. I do not! as I will be back
inside 3/4 of the day. Am i supposed to do a "strip show"?????
We may have some snow tomorrow...I will see what all that brings...

Gita
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8456680

Gita, I hope those plants are hardy, like pansies. You may come into work tomarrow with a ton of dead plants.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8458444

The sun is out shinning brightly, but still to cold for me to be out side for any length of time. I took 2 pictures of my narrow flower bed beside the fence though the dinning room window. The dwarf Iris are blooming like mad.

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8458459

Each year they send up more blooms, I really enjoy looking out the window at them when I check on the girls, running around out side. You notice that I have a small wire fence to keep Mary Chris and Penny out of the bed. Those two would have my flower beds a mess if I left them in there.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8458977

I just love the dwarf iris, I have one it isn't blooming yet. I hope to get more colors in time.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8459831

Gita, I am dreaming of sunshine! We haven't even had much of that.

Laughing, I can't imagine standing outside watering. It sounds just terrible cold!

Chris, I love the tiny iris too. I have it in the rock garden. I saw one blue flag blooming yesterday!! I was so excited! I love that little blue flower!

My little iris have iris leaves instead of the grassy leaves. I have blue-violet and it blooms before the red-violet. They won't bloom yet, but I sure look forward to them.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8460090

Bily, you probably have Dutch Iris, they bloom later then the Dwarf Iris.
I wanted to get some yellow to go with my blue but the Dwarf didn't show a nice bright yellow like the Dutch, and I wanted them to bloom at the same time.
I am really hungry for early spring colors, by the time the Dutch bloom there are a lot of spring blooms going on.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8461150

Ladyg, Here is a display of the reticulated iris at the Phila Show.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8461166

Not everyone likes this one but these bluish gray Katherine Hodgkins are my fav.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8461285

I always love 'Katherine Hodgkin' in the catalogs, but the first time I saw it in person my thought was that those subtle blue-gray colors would just disappear against the weathered mulch in the garden. Do you have them in your yard, Holly?

We've been enjoying some blue and purple iris reticulata in the front bed... seems like they've been blooming for a couple weeks now; they started soon after the crocus.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8461412

Not yet. But I will

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8462101

Chris, I'll have to look into that. I never really have, just calling them Border Iris. They were given to me by a friend who was digging and dividing her's, and this was many years ago. After she passed. I found she also had the red-violet and they bloom later than the blue-violet.

I am on the Iris forum ''over there'' and I've sure seen some pretty little iris. I'd like to get some of all of them, LOL!

I am also taken with the intermediates/Lilliputs. They have so many to choose from and they don't seem to get the borer. At least not yet. I've only had them a few years now.

Holly, those are beautiful! I can see when I get my beds in better order, I am going to order! Ohhhh, I like Katherine too!

Jill, I can see your thoughts on the colors disappearing, so it's a challange to set them off.

It finally got nice enough to go out yesterday, but I still wore a stocking cap, LOL! My neighbor came over, then we went to her house and from her house to her neighbor's and we all had a nice visit!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8464785

Hi, everyone. Wednesday was a good day ! My friend from work picked me up and we had lunch with the boss and the rest of the girls at Red Lobster, then we went to my Echo-Cardiogram and then stopped at Rite-Aid to stock up on my OTC needs. I felt good until that evening and then it was like sliding 4 days back. Muscle/bone pain, which wiped me out, Just felt like c**p again. Getting better but there are times where I am not. Anyways, one day at a time.
Holly, Not sure I like the Katherine Hodgkins, at first glance they looked artificial to me. Like to silky. It really needs a different back ground. Enjoy seeing your flower show pictures. ; )
I had Paul put out my stand mixer before he went to work this morning, I had a Strawberry flavor Angel food cake mix from Amish country, I wanted to mix up. Just and water, so that was easy. Sure smells good baking.
Sun is out now, after snowing this morning. This is what I woke up to yesterday.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8465111

That snow sure was an "April Fool's" for today! We didn't get any here that I saw, just rain. It's pretty chilly out. Joyanna and I went out for a few minutes to refill the bird feeders... she didn't want to come back in, but I was cold, and her little fingers were icy!

I'm glad you had a good day, Chris, even if it was followed by a rough evening. We can't always be super careful about hoarding our energy -- every once in a while you just have to do something fun even if you know you're "pushing" a little and will probably crash for a bit after. Hope you're bouncing right back today!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8465899

Oooo that strawberry flavor angel food cake sounds YUMMY!!!!

No snow here but some heavy flakes mixed in with the rain for about 5mins then switched back to rain, by about 6PM raining on and off and a rainbow appeared but disappeared too fast for me to take a pic of it

I really like my Katherine Hodgkins, realized I need more reticulated Iris

Thumbnail by flowAjen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8465959

The markings look very pretty in your pic Jen.
Chris I hope today continued as a 'better' day.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8466006

Just beautiful Jen. Hey I am finally out of the training room. Spent 4 hours tonight out in the lawn and garden area. But covers over the plants, went around with a regular employee who showed me all the stock and even helped a few customers.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8466752

Jen, your picture could change my mind about the Katherine Hodgkins, it shows them off nicely.
Way to go, Holly, you will be increasing sales in no time.

Feeling good so far. Sun is out today.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8467719

Holly, what did I miss??? what training??? job??? where???

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8468357

Chris, a day like that was worth it! Was it the meds that made you feel like cr-p or the day out?

The cake sounds really good! Or maybe it was just the word strawberry, LOL!

Bad bad snow!

Jill, kids do love to be out no matter how cold it is. I can just feel those icy little fingers, LOL!

FlowAjen, a very nice picture and I'm with you about more little iris!

Holly, a new job? In a nursery? I envy you!

Well, we got the boys Thursday because DD Sara was hoping to have an ultrasound after her regular appointment. They didn't have anything open, but could get her in the next day. So we had the boys overnight. Then she had things she needed to do and wondered if they could stay two nights. Yep.

Carly is no longer breech, but now Callun is. They both weigh about 2# which is what a single baby would weigh. They base everything on a single birth. Carly's head is slightly larger. We had some pretty homely ultra sound pictures, LOL! I'll admit they are a lot clearer than they used to be.

We also had the boys over April Fools Day... Grandma fell for the floating house, dinosaur in the field, bug on her head and many many more silly ones, LOL!

It was so nice out that we got to go to our boring little park, two days in a row, and we played kickball with no coats and bare toes yesterday. Then they went home happy and tired!

I am glad we had them a day early otherwise they would still be here and just waking up. I now have a nice quiet Sunday to look forward to.

I put down my Iris Borer Control and Preen last night, finishing all the bags I had. Now they are back on the grocery list because I won't be without! I sat outside till 7:30 pm becaause it was so nice. Every neighbor but the one behind me, was gone. I love being the only one home. It's so quiet!

There's a chance for severe storms this afternoon and could have been raining at 6:60 am. It wasn't, but I sure did want to get all the poisons down!

Sun popped out and now is gone :o(
We're still supposed to get to 72 and a chance of severe weather. April is here :o)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2011

Post #8468442

I picked up a seasonal part time job in the Garden Dept at Lowes. I thought it might be fun and I could use the $$ to pay for my next diving trip to Bonaire this Nov. Not really sure how good of an idea it is though. Here I am at the busiest time of year for me and going back to work. Next week I am missing a breakfast with friends and a small school play at Lily's school because I will be working. I fluctuate between thinking working is a good thing and working is a bad thing. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8468544

I fluctuate between thinking working is a good thing and working is a bad thing. LOL

"Truer words " etc etc

I esp like the name Carly for the girl, billy!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8468802

Billy, I think it was to much at one time to soon. But I have no regrets, I am just learning how this chemo is effecting me and how to cope with it the next time. Each one has a learning curve.

My favorite saying was, "Money no time, time no money" when I didn't work I didn't have the extra money to garden the way I wanted, when I started working it seems I didn't have the time to devote to gardening.
Now I don't have the energy, can't win. LOL

I did get outside some yesterday and today and got some more of the flower beds cleaned out. It is cloudy today and may rain tomarrow. Hope it's a warm rain.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8468834

Just taking a break, I am outside staining the new flats bench Ric built me.
Billy, I love the baby's names. When I had my twins they were a real surprise. Didn't know till Josh was delivered that Jen was in there, too. Bet it is fun seeing an utrasound of twins.
Chris, Save your engery and enjoy the weather and view of your gardens. I wonder if you could find a teenager to help with the gardens. Our Vo-tech has a Hort program. Do you have one in your area? It would be a good place to look for a little help.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8470575

Holly, that will be a great job! I'd have to go in an hour early and walk the flower aisles...with a cart, LOL!

I hear you. Maybe just try it this year. The money won't be a bad thing and people have always had to miss programs for some reason or other. There is a bit of guilt, but I think you will like it.

Thanks Sallyg. I do too, and it's Anne for the middle name :o)

Chris, at least you felt good while you were out and you had a great dinner! It is a shame it wiped you out so much, but as you said, next time you'll know.

Holly, isn't it great to have a guy who can build!

They didn't do ultrasound when I was pregnant so it is really something to see them. They are even better than they were a few years ago. Oldest Grandson and I were looking at them and the picture was really up close. I looked at him and said ''look at the schnoz on her." He just giggled :o) (DD said the babies have her nose.)

A suprise twin would have been something! I think I would have fainted then cried with suprise and joy, LOL! What a great story for her! Not many have a special story.

I worked on weeding all afternoon and evening. It was cloudy and breezy and we got to open windows!

I had to wait till after 7:00pm for any rain. What a light show tho! Thick bolts down and sideways. The electrical were really curly rather than fingers. It was something!

There was a chance for ping pong and golf ball sized hail, but not here. I heard hail, but couldn't even see it, LOL! I don't think we got much rain, but at least we got some. Enough to wet the stuff I put down Saturday.

I am still going to water the astilbe. I thought maybe a couple died out last Fall when it got dry. This rain will tell what is still living :o)
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8470770

The girls at work were talking about doing a gardening day for me. I had Paul help with the raking the other day, so that got a big chunk done. That was the whole side of the driveway with the day lilies and the one flower bed off the driveway. Yesterday I de-burlaped my topiary tree, wanted to get that done so the rain we are getting today will give it a good cleaning.

Like reading about the twins, it is so exciting.

Thinking of getting some more seeds started in the basement today, everything so far is doing well, I had some red saliva seeds that Stormy sent me a few years back, thought I'd try them but so far nothing. Need to look through my stash and see if I have other saliva to try. I am really pleased how well my baby geraniums are doing, they will be pink, planing to do some pink deck boxes for the railing. I have some pink saliva and pink petunias to go with them.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8470796

Carly Anne--will bring extra extra special smiles to you, billyp!

Chris, we get by with a little help from our friends. Even non gardeners can rake and bag debris. and pick up little sticks. You seem to have a great group of coworkers! Thats a blessing.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8471503

Chris,

It's good to read through your posts and find you continuing toward recovery. Renewed prayers for you.

Have you ever tried internet radio? It's free. One I like particularly is www.pandora.com where you can choose what you want to hear, make your own station for Enya. Pandora will suggest artists and songs that are similar, like Enya's sister for example, and other Celtic artists. It has also introduced me to music I might never have heard otherwise. I love Mozart and Bach, smooth jazz, and Gregorian chant, and just switch from one of my stations to another depending on my mood.

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8471581

Pam, thanks for the link... I'll give it a try.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8471613

My daughter Jen love Pandora. She has found all kinds of new artists she likes.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8473007

Chris, your girls are angels! I can imagine how much you can get finished up with their help. Men are such a big help too!

It really isn't going to be long before the twins are here! Middle of June! (Tiny scream :o)

Baby geraniums! From seed? They are so expensive to buy for pots outside. I used to try and winter over the one's Mom bought, but I didn't have the room or the sunny windows to do them any good.

The boxes are going to be a wonderful color to look at all summer!

Sallyg, I think she will :o)

Pam, I'll have to find time to check out Pandora. Meanwhile I better bookmark it or I'll forget!

I hope it's warmer today than yesterday. I walked the yard, but it wasn't pleasant :o(

I need a nice day we can open the door long enought to bring in the huge, lighted plant stand. How I wish I could leave it in, LOL! The older I get the punier I get!

I'm looking out the window and see one rhubarb that needs to be moved. I might attempt that today. It looks small, but boy can the root ball get large fast! I don't want it in the apple tree roots tho. They are getting nice and curly on top!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8473423

Billy, If you have a cool basement try this to overwinter your geraniums. Before a frost hits in the fall, pull up your geraniums, knock off all the dirt from the roots, tie a soft cord around them, so you can hang them upside down, they do not need light. The trick is not leaving them dry out completely, you can mist them a few times a month if the stems start to look like they are getting too dried out.
Around March- April, start potting them up and bring them into the light, If they start growing to tall and lanky, you can trim them back and root the cuttings.
I have keep some of my geraniums for 3 years this way.
Here is a picture of my new babies, I got a bit of a late start and they will probably not be ready to bloom when they go outside, but they will catch up fast.

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8473450

We are a close knit family at work, and have always been there for each other. It took a few staff changes over the years to get to where we are now. We are not perfect but it works.

The temp has dropped here from yesterday, but looking forward to a warm-up soon. I was glad we got the one flower bed cleaned up, the warm day yesterday made the yellow crocus in that bed pop up. So nice to look out the back door and see that spot of yellow.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8473532

Time to get my geraniums going again, I see.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8475493

Chris, I have no basement. Only a tiny area under a closet in the coldest room in the house. I have just enough room to store my rain lilies, glads and 4 O'clock roots. Last year I let the calla lilies go. They just weren't blooming and even tho the leaves are pretty, I don't have much room for the ''dig and store'' plants. I also lost the huge dahlia roots I had. They were huge towards the end.

I wish i did have a basement. I sure would overwinter a lot of things. Your babies are sooo pretty!

Workers who are friends at work reflect that back to the people who come it. It's very nice to see friends and friendly attitudes!

My crocus are done, but the (scillia) Blue Flag is going now. I love the deep blue. I dug them from a yard in town after the woman was gone and the house was up for sale. I treasure them!

It's cloudy and we have a chance for rain this morning. I better change and get my walk in. It's been nice and I've been out raking and digging out damdelions and chickweeed. I used up all the Preen :o(

I'm going to leave that typo in, giggle!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011

Post #8475512

I found that typo--thats cute!!

The weather is turning nice again here, I hope it is too for you, Chris. And for billyporter LOL!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8475534

I never tried to keep the 4 o'clock roots.. do the plants grow bigger the 2nd year?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011

Post #8475563

You'd suppose they do.. and may emerge faster. The roots look like fat parsnips/ fat white, blackskinned carrots.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8475589

That typo is a great one ! Actually I like damdelions. I think the roots break up my soil and helps the rain get into the clay soil, every time I dig one up I find lots of worms around the roots. Which is a good thing. I have one of those narrow weed diggers that works great in removing the weeds. Now dock is a different story, that takes a load of TNT to get that stuff out.

We are having a rain-snow mix today looks like we are in for a warm up 69 on Sunday, looks like Thursday and Saturday will be sunny so I plan on a little more raking those days. The other day we expect rain. Maybe Saturday I can get Paul to till the vegatable garden.

Onewish, I have 4-O'clocks that overwinter on the South side of my foundation, I have not noticed that much difference in size to new seed plants, and they seem to bloom at the same time.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8476506

Onewish---

You can dig up the roots and store them, dry, until early spring...
Then--mist them a few times to "remind them" that growing season is close...

I have done this----
Taken the BIG, bulky roots and "planted" them in some shallow dirt and put them
outside when the weather seems OK...The ols stem will have fallen off by now...
like an umbilical cord...:o)
Keep an eye on them--and you will see see tiny, new growths coming up from around
where the old stem was...Slowly--but they will grow...

At this po9int--you can plant them in the beds--leaving the new growths above ground...

YES! The roots will get bigger each year...they even extend far into the area!

Here is a root I dug up last year...These are only 1 years old...from seed!
Get the idea?????

Thumbnail by Gitagal

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8477205

the tuber in one year is amazing.. thanks for the info guys.. maybe I will give it a go this year

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8477607

Onewish, I keep the Ruby Red, which are a smaller plant, but the roots get bigger each year and they grow quicker after I plant. I also have seed for the fragrant one's and I really need to plant them this year before I lose the. The seeds that do sprout in the garden take so long to grow and bloom. I will always keep the roots.

Chris, I like them too, in moderation, but the whole yard can quickly become a sea of yellow and they get huge here! The grass will die under them, leaving it open for weeds. So, we dig and spray.

Gita, those are nice! I will use your misting idea. I've never done that. I do have the sack of them and the glads sitting in my kitchen. I'll look at them later. I've been keeping the roots for maybe three years now.

We had a nice jeep ride yesterday. I was glad. The wind was a bit annoying. The kind that seems to affect the sinus.

Have a good day all. If it doesn't rain we'll be getting a load of horse manure early.

The neighbor's cat comes in and sleeps here. DH caught him looking out of the sheet shelves after waking up. (I cover the sheets with a rug)

Thumbnail by billyporter

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8477610

I started my seeds indoors.. give them a jump start.. but thanks.. guess it's worth a shot esp since I grew so many this year

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
3:45 AM

Post #8477617

I tried starting indoors once. I nicked and soaked and nothing sprouted. I'll have to try again with the fragrant yellow seed.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2011
4:04 AM

Post #8477628

I don't nick.. just soak in peroxide for a few hours... some germinate in the soak

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8477926

My 4 is the "Broken Colors" one...Have had them for a few years now...

I decided last year not to grow the 4's this year. They take up so much room
and the seed-harvesting is a never ending job in late fall.

Another plant I will pass on growing this year are my daturas. same reason!
Time to try something different in those areas...I am so limited space wise!

I am sure I will see some volunteers coming up from the 4's...
They even sprout in the lawn. They look just like MG's when they come up--
BUT--the true leaves will be pointed...A good way to tell the two apart...

This picture is of a 2 year old root. It was planted as a dug up root the year before--
then dug up again and re-planted the following year.
In this picture--it is now into the 3rd spring...I had it buried, shallowly, in some dirt.
I do not believe this is necessary--as all the stored energy for new growth is inside the old root.
NOTE where the new growths are coming from. Around the are where the old stem dropped off.
This root was massive! At least a couple of pounds!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8487604

Onewish, ahhh, I do have peroxide. I've never used it for that.

Gita, they sound pretty! I never had any till a few years ago. I saw them in someone else's yard and liked them. Then Thompson and Morgan had the ruby red color. Then I discovered I could save the roots!

I'm with you. Sometimes you just need to see something different.

WOW! I have a long way to go with the size of my roots, LOL!

We have finally had good weather and I've been weeding. I did all the small beds first. Now I'm tackling the big ones. I have a third of the largest done and most of the next largest. There are so many dandelions! (Wailing!) And grass. All the yard grass blew into the beds and it grew just fine there! Grrrr!

I also found more wild garlic. I so hope I can keep on top of it. If I have to dig the flower to get it I will!

Yesterday I had one Daffodil, one Border Iris and a few Blue Flags blooming. Talk about a slow year, sheesh! I'm almost embarrassed :o)

I'm bringing out my box of seeds later to see what I need to think about planting. I hope I have a place for zinnias.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8487851

Lots of blooms popping now
crocus patch(please ignore the meter in the background)

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8487855

Muscari

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8487858

Mary Gay Lirette daff
it changes color and I didn't remember that, so I originally thought they sent me the wrong ones
This was 2 days ago

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8487861

This is from today

Thumbnail by flowAjen

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8487863

77 today and too sticky for April
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8488574

Jen those are beautiful flowers I especially love the last one.
Well spent the day at the Hosp. with my parents. It was to be a pretty routine 40 minute procedure to change my Dads pacemaker as the batteries were low. The surgeon decided to change it to the type that has a defibrillator which meant that they needed to thread an extra wire into the heart. They had a hard time threading it in and it took much longer than expected. Good news all is well Dad looks great. He had to stay in Hosp over night and I will be back there tomorrow morning hopefully to bring him home. Mom is pretty beat a lot of worry on her.
Chris, I hope you are doing well. I thought you might like to see my seedlings. I have that new flats bench all filled up. All the flats on the bottom are Marigolds about 500 of them. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8488729

lovely shots Jen... I saw more starting to open today.. should have taken photos while I had the chance... going to be raining for a few now

looks great Holly... and glad to hear about dad

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8488938

The high today was 86 and it's going to be 20 degrees colder tomorrow...CRAZY

Holly glad everything went well with your dad. Thats a lot of marigolds!!!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
3:45 AM

Post #8489337

FlowAjen, those are all beautiful! Now, that 77* sounds perfect to me :o)

Holly those are worry-some moments, but I'm glad it worked out in the end for your Dad. Prayers for his continued good health and your Mom to get some rest!

Your bench and flats of flowers are fantastic!! Where are all the marigolds going?

I'm slowly getting all the beds weeded. We have had good weather too and it's about time. Next week should be our last hard freeze. Please please please!

Dental cleaning today and then off to town to buy fencing and posts for the pea fence. Yayyy!

Chris, I'll finally get my peas out!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8489466

A bunch of them will go to the plant swaps, some to the HGHA picnic . I will plant some at my Parents house and my daughters. We will put a bunch of them in the Veggie garden. This is the first year that I have has that much success with them. Last year we lost a couple of flats that Ric transplanted for some reason. Then we lost alot when we went off to Fl. last spring. I will have plenty to share if I can keep them going. I have about 80 coleus I think I should get more of those next year. They always seem to do well.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8490584

I am doing well, have been outside on warm days cleaning out small flower beds (one each day). starting and attending to seeds in the basement. Even washed some bedroom curtains when I noticed how dirty they were. I get my next treatment this Friday so I'll be down again by Sunday.
Jen, love the flowers, I though the 1st one was tulips by the thumbnail. I have daffs, Glory-of-the=snow and Mrs. Moon blooming I did not get out to take pictures. By the time I got done with raking I was in for the day.
Billy, Good for you getting your peas in. I am still waiting for Paul to run the tiller, he has been busy with the firehall and attending fire class and meetings. He has no sense of urgency when it comes to gardening. "You still have time" he says. I just walk away.

Holly, I love the new area for you seedlings. It looks like it is close to your potting shed.
One year when we went to Florida in April-May, I got long PVC pipe and cover cloth for hoop houses. Paul made metal stakes to hold the PVC in place. I put newspaper down and set my flats on the newspaper and soaked it really well before we left. The cloth let air and rain in and protected the plants from the sun. I still use the setup if my plants need to go out, but we are still getting really cold weather. It is also great for hardening off a lot of plants. Eliminates carrying flats in and out process.

I am making raisin bread now with help from my bread machine. I've been really hungry for it, toasted.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8490756

Glad you're having a good week! Toasted raisin bread does sound good.

I got a call from "Big Ben" (son of "Digger Dick"), and I'm on his list for tilling again this year, just have to wait for the weather to cooperate! I'm going to try to get some compost delivered for those beds also... not sure if I'll be able to talk them into sending out the kid with the bobcat (I'm willing to pay for that, but I think they don't like to take him from bigger jobs) or if I'll be asking them to deliver it in minimum 2 cubic yard loads. Either way, I think the beds need a little boost this year.

I'm teetering on the brink of ordering strawberries and asparagus, just trying to be sure I don't have so many projects going on that I can't get them planted. LOL
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8490790

I got lovely strawberry plants from Sally. They are doing beautifully.
Ladyg, I am so glad you had a good week. You are right it is in the driveway right next to the potting shed. We are moving them in and out of the garage each morning and night. The GH is in the works, Jamie came yesterday and plumbed the water hydrant, next it is finish the electric line then we can start working on the slab. I will have a new GH up soon. I took my Dad home today and he is doing very well. He can't drive for 2 weeks and light duty for a month, no lifting, pushing or pulling.
orchidfancy
College Park, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8490969

I wish you the best , I am still recovering from last year surgery , the only saving grace was no chemo . I hope that each day gets better for you so that you can enjoy a little more sunshine , and all those seedlings in the basement are waiting patiently for you ready to explode to celebrate your recovery...sincerely Christiane
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8491013

The r bread is in the oven, I just may have a slice or to while it's still warm.
We have a small tiller, but I know that I can't start or run it myself anymore. Paul said he will check it out on Thursday after work to see if it will start, and till Friday when we get back from treatment. If the weather holds up.
Holly glad your dad is doing good. Now comes the hard part...Following dr's orders.
Once you get that GH up you will be in heaven. Hope you make it big enough. Can you put a lawn chair it there ? LOL
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8491029

Thank you, Christiane. Yes, chemo sucks glad you did not have to go through it. Sadly, sometimes it is all we have.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8491514

I'm really tempted to get out my little Mantis tiller, but realistically I know I don't have enough strength built back up to handle it yet... I'm trying to think through what needs to be done and figure out what I can do with hired help (I have a couple of neighbor girls who are willing but need clearly defined tasks such as clearing everything out of a certain area or weeding in a part of the garden that only has one or two types of clearly identifiable "good" plants, like the iris & columbine area or the strawberry border)... I'm also going to have to resort to chemical warfare on some of the weeds, because I just can't handle pulling/digging/tilling them.

"Big Ben" has a tractor-tiller, absolutely vital for busting any new beds in our clay.. makes quick work of the veggie garden, too, and it's wonderful to be able to plant out tomatoes and peppers by gently scooping holes with a gloved hand! I wish I could send him over to your house, LadyG!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8491560

I just love my little tiller. Won't start so Ric got new lines and some other parts. Hopefully he will have it up and running soon.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8492376

Jill, my veggie garden is only 9x9 foot. Big Ben would drop the tines and drive out and done. LOL. I am growing deep root veggies in containers so a surface tilling is all I need, just enough to break up the raised soil, and mix in the leaves that are laying on top.
My tiller is the size of a small Mantis.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8492551

That's another project for me this year...hubby WANTS me to start the veggie garden he actually said he wants more lawn gone
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8492667

Jen, now that's a Win-Win less spent on expensive gas and more fresh food on the table. Down side more work for you. from planting to table and everything in between.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8493005

I like the planting part and then fall down on the harvesting! I really will try to take a big bowl with me this year so I can cut more of whatevr happens to be ready and get it in the house.
Jen potatos would be fun for the kids
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8493459

Many many years ago Ric tried to get me to have a Veggie Garden. Really, full time job, 4 kids and a barn full of animals. Do you think I have time to Veggie Garden. He started out tilling, and planting. Thinking I would weed and harvest. Yea Right!!! Then he took over the weeding eventually the harvesting, too. Then he would come in with big bowls of Veggies and say you have to blanch and freeze these tonight. I would say "Well gymnastics is tonight, 4 H tomorrow night and Soccer on Sat. Maybe Sunday afternoon I could get to them. Finally he just gave up. LOL Wasn't till a few years ago that we reclaimed the old Veggie Garden. Having a lot of fun with it now.
Really Sally I don't understand why you fall down on the harvesting part. LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8493657

I am so frustrated--as nothing has been done to my raised-bed-to-be...
So much for having a better veggie bed...

Lost all my potential "doers"...for one reason or another--.Now it just sits there--
and I have to look at my neighbor's junkbecause he puts it behind HIS garage--
so he doesn't have to look at it--but it is right in my face --and it looks like it is mine...

Still need to find someone to do this bed--then I will put up 2- 6' panels of privacy fence behind the
bed so I don't have to look at all this trashy stuff...

Here is a picture I just took...
This is what I have to look at right now...UGH!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8493668

OH! The bags are mine! Full of composting, shredded leaves...

Here is a side view--I think he just cut down a red maple??? Looks like it..
and dumped all the branches and cut up trunk BEHIND his garage, and right
in plain view from my side...I hate it!
I expect he will haul this away asap--it is, probably, a temporary issue...

But NOT the trash cans and the "castle" (for his grand kids)...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8493674

I would plant an evergreen hedge of arborvitae or something immediately, that would drive me NUTS to look at.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8493675

This is a bit more "all encompassing" view...
It was getting dark--so things are not so bright---but you get the idea...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8493708

flowAjen---

That is what WAS in this bed!!!! They got killed off by 2009's winter's 4' of snow laying on them.
They just never straightened up--so this same neighbor (he is really nice) cut them down for me.

That is when I decided to convert this to my full-sun veggie bed...

You DO remember all the posts I had re this? YES?
I posted about most of it on the Soil and Composting Thread...

Here is a picture of all the evergreens cut off and the root stumps dug up...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8493719

OH, LOL, sorry...short term memory loss...LOL
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8494561

Gita, doesn't HD have a list of guys looking for building jobs. Some stores have a bulletin board with business cards that people use. It would not take a lot of time to put up a wooden privacy fence behind the garden. A few post holes to be dug. set the poles in quickcreat (sp) quick setting cement. and attach the fence. A weekend job. I would go with a wooden fence you could attach string for beans to grow up or hang some decorations on it,
You need someone to set the posts straight and at the right distance apart. Maybe check with the enployees in the fencing department.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2011

Post #8494657

lady--

Everything you mentioned above is on my plan. BUT! The bed has to be built first...
as all the old, rotten landscape timbers have to be removed and new ones put up.
I figure that making it 4-- 4x4's high, it will give me a 14"-16" deep bed.
I will need 25 4x4's.
A big issue is also trucking in the topsoil. There is NO car access to the back of my bed.
It will have to be wheel-barrowed from the driveway...

THEN I will, definitely, put 2--8' panels of a privacy fence behind the bed.
I like the "shadowbox" fence best---so far. Can't stand the "scenery" I have to look at there...
And--yes! I want something to grow on it--even if I have to put in some support lines...
That's a dream--so far...

Now--re the HD. NO! NO! No one is allowed to advertise any services--We are not even
allowed to suggest a contractor/plumber/or installer to anyone. Can get fired for it.
and there is NO bulletin board. I could not even bring in a home made X-mas angel and sell it!

One of the men I was considering for this job works there, but he did not come by
(as he said he would) to take a look at it--twice. SO! I figure, his priorities are not too
straight. He does all kinds of "jobs" and also has a Lawn Service business on the side--
is the supervisor of Flooring and works full time. BUSY??? Yep!
I could ask him--one more time--I am a bit desperate to get this done...Spring is here...

From all the past conversations on this topic--it was suggested that I could grow things in pots
and put the pots on the bed. Might do that----

Need to mow my lawn--badly! Sunny day today--but the ground is like a wet sponge!

Enjoy the beautiful day! Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8494901

lol Gita, it looks like there could be soil truck access to your beds via "nice" neighbors yard!!! Could haul away junk on the way out!

If you get top soil in bags rather than bulk you could just punch some drainage holes in bottom of bags and then slit or open the tops and plant for this years 'raised beds'. Mine done that way have lasted up to three years like this. Great use for 'broken bags' which HD sells reduced. Could use those bags of shredded leaves as mulch and cover.

Another quick and dirty would be to plant a living screen at the rear of climbers like beans, etc. Also, wouldn't a permanent fence shade your veggies?

One other thought, maybe your 'nice' neighbor and his kids and you could paint a mural on the back of his shed that would be fun for them and easy on your eyes, especially with your artistic talents!

Enjoy the warmth every one. Judy

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8495081

I just have to open this every day and see Chris beautiful smile. I hope today's sun extends to NW PA!!!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8495590

Hi ! Sallg, Yes I have sun, was outside a bit but it is only around 47
Tomarrow is treatment #2, I'll be gone all morning and some of the afternoon.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8495957

Judy---

HGH!!! I just spilled, either my apple cider--or my glass of wine over the keyboard...
Turned it upside down--gave it a few whacks---dried off the underneath and the
floor under my feet--as it went everywhere...As I am typing this--my key strikes seem
kind of "softer"...maybe the underneath is wet????? Seems to work OK though...

Have to smile at your ideas...Some might work--some may not...

I think I will tough it out in my old Tomato bed--on the east side of my shed...
AM sun until 3PM...What else can I do???
So far--the Tomatoes have done OK. Last year was not so good...
Then again--last year was NO good for most tomatoes...

Judy--Your "Bleeding Heart is just now growing so well.. Seems to have doubled in the last
couple of days...
Last summer--I kept it in the pot you gave to me until fall--then I thought I better plant it into
the garden. And--so i did...

Here it is at this very moment...went out and took a picture...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8497099

Holly, talk about spreading sunshine around! I'm glad the Marigolds grew well this year. The coleus should be gorgeous too!

Chris, I'm thinking of you today. I hope your weather turned crappy like ours so you are glad to be inside for a while. I'm so hoping this is our last hard freeze.

I'm smiling because I'm feeling that urgency now. I didn't get the plant stand inside yet and now I will need to get the peppers sown. I still have time for tomatoes, especially if it's going to be a cool year.

Good for Paul to attend the classes!

I love raisin bread and have been thinking about baking bread or rolls ever since I had the flu.

Jill, a compost boost would be perfect for the beds! I hope it all works out for you. I know they like the big jobs but they need to remember, a customer is a customer. I think that is slowly being forgotten these days.

My neighbor bought strawberries in 6 packs and they are so big and healthy! I am used to seeing the half rotted bundles with tiny crowns. I think she paid $30 for 5 packs, but I'd say it was worth it! The sooner you get asparagus started, the sooner you can eat it. I picked three small stalks yesterday so the freeze doesn't get them.

Holly, how wonderful for your Dad! It sounds like he will be up and at 'em in no time!

Hi Christiane, you are in my prayers.

Jill, I'm never against poison. I pull what I can and spray what I can't. Eventually you don't have to spray so much.

FlowAjen, a man said that? Oh my, do it before he changes his mind, LOL!

I couldn't live without crispy red radish or tender green spinich, not to mention turnips, kohlrobi, cucumbers, cabbage, brussels sprouts, and green beans. Then it's tomatoes, peppers and a few squash. I know I'm forgetting things, but take your pick (giggle) it's all Good Eats!

There ya go Sallyg, walk out prepared! I keep a small steel paring knife hidden in the screen on the washtub so I can cut without running in the house.

Potatoes and onions! that's what I forgot to list :o) We've even done peanuts!

Holly, that's the reason our Parents and Granparents had time to can. Kids were HOME to help!

Gita, your neighbor IS in your face. A fence is long over due. My neighbors stack bikes on the side of their house, but at least it's a bike. I can't complain. I had a bike too :o)

Your bed is so small and the dirt looks pretty good. You might try running a hoe thru it deeply, rake it back and run the hoe to the depth you need to plant. For a few years I only turned the dirt I needed to make a row.

It's hard to look at other people's messes when you keep your's so neat. Is your raised bed right on the property line? They sure put the kids on the outer edges. I'd want my kids closer to my house.

I agree that good fences make good neighbors. I wouldn't wait!

I see, the bed was for trees and you have to get the stumps out. I'm glad your neighbor is nice. He might appreciate the fencing too.

Coleup, laughing over the access and junk haul! That's a good plan!

I think the bags would be a good idea and you would still have the dirt handy to put in the beds when they are done :o) You have many nice ideas!

Gita, I laughed and spit tea over my keyboard. It still works too. The keys stuck for a while and it's not the same as when it was new, but yep, it works. I'll never do it again tho!

The bleeding heart looks good! So do the daffs :o)

It's cold, windy and will rain after dinner. We're taking the family out to Pizza Ranch for a buffet dinner. YUM!!

Have a good day all, and prayers for you Chris. I hope it's an easier recovery this time.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2011

Post #8497104

Also here thinking of Chris today--sending best mental energy I can for a good day and easier recovery this time.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8497637

Wanted to send these to you today, Chris. Hoping your treatment treats you kindly and goes well for you.

Thumbnail by coleup

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8497685

We're with you in spirit Chris.

Happy b-day billyporter!!!!

Thumbnail by flowAjen

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8498126

Wishing you well Ladyg,
Sending you Birthday Wishes Billy.
Hope you have both had a good day. I must run as I just got home from work a bit a go and must get cleaned up as Ric and I are going out for diner with friends tonight.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2011
3:13 AM

Post #8499213

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Chris, I ate enough food for both of us yeaterday. It was full of salt and fat, but darn, was it good! I hope you feel ok. I know you won't feel good.

Thinking of you and sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

HUGS!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8499282

First off I want to wish Billy a very happy birthday, I hope you are celebrating the whole weekend.
I celerbrated it with you with a delicious baked cod dinner, we stopped on the way home for dinner.

Yesterday was a very long day. We left the house a little after 9:30am the traffic was good so we got there a 11:00, appt was at 11:30 but I knew they wanted to get the IV started and a blood draw for labs. I then had a visit with my doctor, after a bit of a wait. She went over my side effects and asked if I wanted to continue, I said why not we need to give this a chance. This is her way of getting a feel for what I want.If she has other ideas she will tell me.
I was then taken back to the treatment room, they were not very busy so I had the room all to myself. They started the meds the first is with benadryl and a relaxant, I read some, and then they started the chemo, I drank some orange juice and started to nod off, I have never napped during treatment before, I woke up slightly when ever a nurse came into the room, but feel right back to sleep.I wokeup when the beeper wnt off on the IV pump. The nurse came in to start the med to make the bones strong. She called my sleeping beauty and laughed and I asked her I she added extra sleep juice to the IV. We like to joke around a bit. I got out of there at 5:00.
I stayed up a little later, and was up an hour earlier this morning. I have scans scheduled for the end on this month to see if this treatment is working.
On Thursday, Paul got home from work and tilled up the veggie garden, raked it out, and put up the pea fence. I was going to plant the peas when I got home, thinking I be gettin gout of treatment early, but it was too late when we got home. To day it is raining but I think I might get them in between the intermittant rain, I'll put on rain gear. Today I feel good, will get the Neulasta injection later today, that will be the kicker and might put me down 18 hours later. But it is better then spending a week in the hospital.
So that's my up date. Love you all, and stay healthy.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8499318

Hugs to you Ladyg, Thanks for the update.
I have JR today. Off work and it is raining. Couldn't it rain when I am at work and keep the nice days so I can get some yard work done. LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8499366

Chris, thank you! I just decided I WAS going to take the whole weekend! Great minds think alike...again :o)

How nice! You had a delicious meal out too!

I am so glad your whole day went well inspite of it being your whole day, LOL!

Tell Paul I say thanks for the tilling, raking and pea fence! I appreciate that he got it done for you. I think you can get your peas in. We have 8/10'' in the guage right now and it's still raining lightly.

Love you too and sending prayers out for your continued good health!

Holly, enjoy JR since you can't have any sun :o)

Have a happy day all!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8499697

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCPeKkhGc5Njagm0k7SVCyTQ739pJmhL3AvFoGPflA7LZnxeMM

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJpPnwKSgVjaQFY4WKZrWMqxona1LPYhJwsV0i-rFXjksYs7hS

Sleeping Beauty

Well, darn I tried to give a picture of they won't let me steal them!
I'm glad to know that the day wasn't so bad. You must know from history bout the Neulasta- if there's any chance it won't be such a downer, I do hope for that.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8499750

Thanks Sallyg you know I'm a sucker for Disney ; )
The thing about Nulasta is it has many of the same side effects as my chemo, Bone pain. so it is a double whammy, I'll try cutting my pain pills in half that is what my oncology nurse Julie suggested. They have a way of throwing if my peripheral vision for a time after I stop taking them, so I don't want to drive.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8501217

Chris, the Nulasta just better be doing it's job. I can't imagine how the bone pain feels but I'm sure it's pretty bad. It sounds bad. I'm sorry you have to go thru it.

It's another chilly day here and I hope to get out and walk the yard. Yesterday, I wasn't out any longer than to dump the coffee can full of compostables on the compost pile and return the mail to a neighbor that got put in our mailbox. I was glad I wore a stocking cap. I do not like winter at all!!

I did work on updating my flower journal and identified a couple more iris. Well, I need to Google them to get better pictures for matching. I just hate having un-named things. It's part of my "charm." Just ask my annoyed neighbor! LOL!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2011
5:08 AM

Post #8501298

Billy, They should hire me for a new Neulasta chimerical, Not that lady standing there painting pictures outside with a full head of hair looking all smiley. I could be sitting in my lounger saying yep it hurts like heck but it's better then lying in the hospital bed looking all pail and getting woke up by a nurse every 2 hours to see if you're still breathing. LOL

Are you using the DG journal ? If you have pictures maybe we can help, just think if you were trying to ID daffs, There are way to many of them I've given up on naming all of mine.
I did get the peas in yesterday, there was a break in the weather and then a nice rain when I got back in the house. I picked some bent over daffs to bring into the house to enjoy.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8501347

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}} to you this morning, LadyG.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8501432

Chris, I am rolling on the floor laughing over your commercial! I LOVE it! Truth in advertising!

I started to use the Journal here long ago and found I have no time to keep it up. But I do like to Google for images. I have named a few of my iris and daylilies and ID'ed a couple of iris for others, LOL! Getting in on the Iris threads are a big help. I love it when someone says, ''does it loook like mine?''

Yayyy on the peas! Now that I have one garden seed planted I am wanting to do more!

Have a great day somehow!!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8501447

Laughter is the best medicine. I try not to take myself to seriously.
When my doctor was doing my exam she asked me to stick out my tongue, well I did just that without opening my mouth, we both started to laugh. She said I made her day, she was off to a rough start till I showed up.
Jan, thank you, be easy on the hugs. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8501775

Chris, I'm sure your postive attitude is a huge boost to the doc and nurses many days!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8502054

LOL! Truth in advertising. Yep, prevention is the way to go with the neulasta.. I've been there done that with the neurogenic fever (due to very low white count), and it's no fun at all. I really hope the neulasta won't be as hard on you this time. For me, there really wasn't going to be any chance of being able to drive during chemo week anyway, so I just took the pain pills... might be something to consider, although I know driving = independence, in a big way. :-)

Billy, happy happy birthday! I hope you got some sunshine this weekend. Here, today has all the "pretty" that we were missing during yesterday's rainstorms and then some.

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8502178

I am not driving, but it is nice to go to the local grocery store or the General Dollar that is only a few blocks away. I have not been to work since January so that takes that out of the picture. Next time I am up to driving I'll be headed to the nursery that is about 14 miles away. Have to get some sweet potato vine, some coleus and calibrachoa for my combo pots.
Jill do you remember you sent me some of Joyanna's Zinnia Starlight Rose seeds, well they are started in my basement, did you collect those seeds on did you buy them in bulk to share? I am so excited that they all germinated after setting for a year.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8502328

Billy, I have been working on my Journal for a few years now. Mostly just plant lists. I have Trees & Shrubs, Perennials, Sedums, House Plants. I would like to have a list and pics of all my plants but I haven't made a dent and trying to ID them is hard. Quite often even when I start out with a name I get it mixed up somehow. LOL I try to work on it over the winter and put in new plants as I get them if I can. I also have a This to That area with old pictures of areas and new pics of what they look like now. I still have a whole lot of work to do on it but at least I got a start on it.
Chris Sending very gentle hugs your way.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8502911

There, that's better - gentle hugs. :))))))))
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8503066

I'm glad zinnia seeds keep well, as I have quite a few to start myself... didn't manage to grow Joyanna's zinnia last year, but this year I'll put it and some other shorties along the front of the veggie bed. Maybe that will keep her from charging straight into the rows of tomatoes & peppers? LOL

I bought the 'Zahara Starlight Rose' seeds in bulk, and I think they were hybrids. Some zinnia hybrids come so close to the parent from saved seeds, but I haven't heard one way or the other about this one.

I'm glad you've got some lovely little seedlings to play with!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8505124

Jill--

Here is a picture from last year of "Joyanna's Zinnias" from the seeds you gave us all att he Swap.
They had very little pink in them--barely a hint near the center of the bloom...

You took some of my pink Zinnias. How did they do?

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8505843

Chris, that is so funny! I would have cracked up too! It's nice to make your Doctor happy.

Jill, thanks for the Birthday wishes. The sunshine is all in my heart this week. It's raining :o)

Chris, the thought of going to the nursery would have me excited! So far I haven't been anywhere to ''pick up'' any plants. I didn't order anything but 3 Meadow Rue/Thalictrum. I got the purple blooms.

Holly, I went farther and have Bloom, Color and Story plus the Name and Latin Name if I know it. I started that when DH suggested I write down everything before I forgot where it came from. I'm glad I did. I also keep track of what died by a simple X by the name. If I share it, I write that down too. I'm up to 351 pages since I just re-wrote it a few years ago and left new spacing. I also made a quick find notebook so I can find a page easier.

Jill, I too never planted zinnias last year and am really looking forward to a row of them.

Joyanna will have such a ball outside this year!

Gita, those look nice!
I used to get raw honey from the health food store in Kalona. She wasn't Amish aand the mark-up on everthing she had was terrible. The Amish shopped there, but I felt sorry for them paying her prices for vitamins. They only charge the bare mnimumin their stores and work hard repackaging, as Mary knows.

Our power went out long enough to have to reset the clocks earlier this morning. No reason for it, not even up North, that I can see. Our grid runs a long way around us.

We brought my plant stand in Sunday so I will be sowing peppers, cabbage, brussels sprouts and tomatoes!

Yesterday, I cleaned the catch-all room and closet of my elderly relative and took a few knick-knacks and vases as payment. I always use the excuse that I've drug dirt all over the house and vacuum all her rooms for her. Then she tries to pay me and I tell her no. We do this every time :o)

Over the years she's cut newspaper clippings and really has a treasure trove since a lot of them where when the guys like my Dad were going into the service. I spent all afternoon scanning old obituaries and remembering those who lived here when I was a kid.

Chris, lots of gentle hugs spread out over today. I hope you feel better by now!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8505960

Thinking of you this morning, LadyG. I am waiting on word of Baby Cora's arrival in this world so I'm trying to keep myself focused on other things. She is grandybaby #8. #9 is also on the way -due at the end of September.

My forsythias are leafing out and after the big storm this weekend most of the yellow is gone. I dug up some bleeding heart last spring at a friend's place ( she knew about it - didn't want you to think I stalk other peoples' gardens looking for an opportunity to snatch something while they weren't looking) :) and am so enjoying seeing them in the garden. I need to get some more. HMMMM... they are going away for a few days - that will be my chance heehee
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8506276

Hi everyone, I am trying to manage the pain with pills, it will come and go. Nothing much I can do without over doing the meds. I took an Advil PM at bedtime last night and got a better sleep then the night before. This will pass as time goes on.
Jill, do you really think Joyanna will stay out of your tomatoes? She wants to be just like Mommy LOL
Gita I like now you mass plant, that looks nice.
Billy, I have my tomatoes and peppers started. I amy waiting to start my Caster beans as they really grow fast, I love the tropical look they give to the garden.
Jan, keep us posted on the grand baby that is on the way.

Getting tired now, have to stop. Love to you all.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8506392

Jan, that is wonderful to be waiting on a Grandbaby!

Chris, glad to hear from you today, love and prayers for strength and no pain.

It's raining again and is the perfect dreary day since it isn't going to warm up yet. This is the longest April!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8506416

Well, baby Cora arrived 7:35 Texas time. 9 lb 3 oz and 20 1/2 " They are all doing well. YIPPEE!!! Waiting for pictures on facebook.

Glad you got a better sleep last night.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8506517

Jan, so happy for you, momma and baby Cora. Is she named after Cat Cora, one of my favotite Iron Chefs?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8506638

CONGRATULATIONS!! I'll bet she's beautiful!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8506713

Congrats Jan!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8506794

LOL I like Cat Cora, too. I'll have to ask where the name came from. If it was a boy my son liked the name Cole.

Thanks everyone. I am sure she is the most beautiful baby in the whole world. :)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8507067

Too bad they didn' have boy girl twins LOL
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8507251

Oh Jan I am so very happy for you and your family. Grandchildren are the best thing in the world.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8507324

Happy happy news from Jan! Congratulations!

I don't really expect my Little Shadow to stay out of the tomatoes entirely, but I bet she'll at least pause for a moment when she reaches the flowers along the border of the garden! I often plant a row of zinnias along the back edge of the veggie garden, and I have some different sunflowers to add in with them this year also (or might do a "sunflower house" for Joyanna)... this year, I'll also sow a row of short zinnia varieties and 'Lemon Gem' marigolds along the front edge.

Gita, sadly I didn't manage to sow any zinnia seeds last year... I didn't start chemo until June, but all the diagnostics and biopsies took a lot of starch out of me in April & May, too. But zinnia seeds "keep" just fine. This year, we'll make up for lost time! :-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
3:36 AM

Post #8508089

Yes Jan, twins would be nice and both names are cute, LOL! My twins will be Callun and Carly and they'll be here in June!

Jill, I like how you divert Joyanna with blooms, LOL!

I have always wanted to do a sunflower house and never have any room. If you do one, post pictures. I think it's the neatest idea!

I got side tracked yesterday and cleaned house instead of filling pots. It was too cold on the porch to work. I hope today is better.

It rained all day yesterday, but we should dry up a bit today with the wind coming. I keep seeing all the weeds and dandelions I didn't get out of the big flower bed :o(
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8508245

Twins are great. Mine will be 33 this Sept. Congrats on the up-coming twins, BP.
Grandykids are the bomb!!!

I love zinnias. Sadly, I'm not planting a lot of annuals this year since we'll be gone for about 2 months and I'm afraid things won't be looked after well. But, watch out next year.

Hoping your sleep was better, LadyG.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8508267

Wow Jan, another person who had twins! I was so shocked when I found out that I thought I was the only one in the world, LOL! That's great! They're about DD's age.

Chris, I got sidetracked by cleaning and never did get to filling pots. It was too cold on the porch anyway. I'm hoping we get a little sun to warm it up today. The winds will be out of the NW, so another not so nice day to be outside :o(
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8508277

LOL mine will be 36 this fall.
Gentle hugs and comforting thoughts coming your way Chris.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8509507

Hi all ! Last night was a bust. I had planned on watching the new Deadliest Catch at 9:00 but started to realize by 8:00 that it was not to be, started to feel uncomfortable, so opted to get ready for bed, ate some yogurt so I could take my Tylenol PM, brushed and flossed, and climbed into my PJs and then into bed, I read a while waiting for the Tylenol to kick in. Turned off the lights and the fire siren went off, I listened to make sure it was not a tornado warning, (a steady wale) but it was either a fire or motor vehicle accident. As I was just starting to relax, a big clap of thunder came through and continued most of the night waking me up. When we get very changeable weather in the spring I get antsy, having gone through a tornado once.
I finally dozed off and woke up at my regular 7:00 am time.
Paul told me it was a small electrical fire but in an old wooden building that houses a bar and living quarters upstairs. The building is not far from our house.
I am feeling sore but no real pain, I did take my 1/2 pain pill, this am but I am noticing my vision getting strange so will see if I can get away with out the pain pill tomorrow. It is a learning experience.
I was hoping to get out today in the 60 weather to check the vegetable plot for the peas I had planted, but it quickly dropped to 41 and never warmed back up. What a spring! I saw on the local news that the largest local farmer in out area is 2 weeks behind in planting and the storm last night has not helped, he said that this is the most mud in the fields he has seen in 45 years.
Sweet corn had he usually starts to harvest by the 4th of July will be at least in middle of July, and peas and beans that are planted on weekly intervals will not get planted on schedule.
I did get a picture out my dinning room window of my pink tulips starting to get some color.
Thanks everyone for your warm wishes, you are my sunshine, and you put a smile on my face.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8510573

Holly, smiling over your twins too :o)

Chris, you did have an unsettled night!

I think I would have tried a nap since your vision is off. I hope you CAN go without the pills.

Smiling, our weather kept me in too. I was going to get the mail from the box, but DH beat me to it, so I was in all day. I peeked at the 10 day forecast and it looks like last night was our last freeze this week. I hope we are sliding into warmer weather! It might rain all week too :o(

Rain is good, but I never finished weeding :o(

Gentle hugs and prayers for you to continue feeling better than you might have felt :o)
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8510732

A little better night last night, hard getting to sleep, also one side effect of the chemo, I took a relaxant prescribed by the doctor, after I had no success falling asleep. I have this Amish salve sort of like Vicks that I rub on my feet and hands, I took a bit last night and massaged it on the back of my neck and that seemed to do the trick. I slept good after that.
It is cloudy now but the weather said sunny today. I may just have to bundle up and get out to the yard. At least to check on the peas. I may attempt to do an Impossible Coconut Pie today, Put everything in a blender whip it up and dump it in a pie pan, bake. They are good for an easy to do desert. Need to get my seed Dahlias potted up, but we'll see if I'm up to that.
Warmer weather is on it's way but rain will be in the offing as well. The deck is covered so if the rain is coming straight down I might be able to sit out.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8510995

Hoping you are able to get outside today.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8511354

Chris, the sun has popped out a lot here today. I hope it has for you too. I sat on my swing a bit after getting the mail. A bit of sun, bird song, and fresh air can be so nice.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8512323

Lady--hope each day and night gets easier for you...Keeping my fingers crossed.
You are one tough woman!!!

I walked around my garden today--looking at this and that...not really doing anything...
The Daffs love this cooler weather--they are lasting longer that usual...

Better watch what i say...Friday is supposed to be 83* here...Then back to the 60's and 50's...
Tonight--barely in the low 40's...Go figure!!! Took in my tray of Tomatoes--which, by now,
are over a foot tall and healthy. I call this time of year the--"In and out---In and out" time...
Can't plant anything--haven't even worked on any of my beds...

Hey, Holly!!!!! How are YOU doing???? Not as "glamorous" as you thought--I bet...
Work is killing me--as I ,pretty much, spent my whole shift Tues. and Wed. watering...
My foot hurts so bad! It just is NOT getting any better.

No rest this week--as they have me doing the "Do It Herself" workshops.
One tonight 6:30Pm-8:30PM. (my day off otherwise) and the other Sat. afternoon--also my day off--usually...
Setting up--Standing on my feet for 2 hrs. and then dismantling the whole display. O-U-C-H!!!!

I really have NO desire to go out and work in MY garden after days like that!

OK! I will "quit my bitching"...Gita

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8516827

Happy Easter all!

Yesterday, the boys went home, I got my pots filled with potting soil and it's wet. I decided it was too messy for the boys and they went to help Grandpa anyway :o) Today I can plant my seeds, and I think I had better mow. The entire yard can use it now. I've already done the high spots.

Chris, that sounds like a good salve.

Gita, the ''in and out'' is like my ''off and on.'' I sweat, I get cold, LOL!

Sallyg, short stints outside have been the norm here too. The birds tho... so nice to hear! We have a brown thrasher that is going to hang around. He's singing the songs of all the birds :o)

Gita, work sounds tough right now. You need a vacation, but I suppose they would find something for you to do about then too!

It's been too chilly to be out and it's rained. I do believe it's April. Today will be nice and quiet for me. The boys other Grandma does the nice Easter dinner and we just try to eat healthy. We don't eat so well when the boys are here, having pizza and doughnuts :o(
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8517268

Happy Easter ! Yesterday was a very nice day, In the low 70's and mostly sunny, I opened some windows and sit outside most of the day. Pulled a few weeds near the water garden and fed some worms that I found to the frogs, I was rewarded with a few croaking songs. Put up the hummingbird feeder, and waiting.
Today is cooler and cloudy, I went to the basement to garden this morning, the lettuce is looking good. Paul is cooking Easter Dinner for us, so I can sit and enjoy that, even making home made rolls.
Gita, you keep going Girl, you will know when to slow down. Keep doing the things you enjoy the most and cut back on the thing you don't. I found that when I worked it was the people I enjoyed the most, and the goal was to get the job done right.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8517445

Happy Easter! Its a gorgeous day in maryland. I hope you all have a ''gorgeous feeling'' today.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8518921

Chris, I'm glad you had a nice warm day! It's still chilly here and today is a 90% chance of rain. I need to get garbage out to the road and would like to get a walk in, but I don't see that happening :o(

I'll bet dinner was wonderful!! It's always nice to just sit down and eat. We don't get to do that too much in our own home.

Yesterday I mowed and hung two loads of clothes. It is so green now! All we need are the 70* days!

Have a wonderful day all. I need to keep moving!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2011
5:14 AM

Post #8518958

Gita, I was sure I posted a comment to you here. Well it said I wonder how you do it all. I like the job but I am exhausted when I get home. My poor tired legs and occasional aching back. I have a couple of younger boys with muscles as loaders but I am still doing a lot of loading and lifting myself. The last day I worked I moved pots for most of the day. It was a rainy day not very busy. Had time when I did have customers to really help them find what they were looking for. I taught a young couple how to read the plant tags so they could understand what they were looking at. LOL
I have been sick since Thurs night. I went and picked up my parents on Thursday and took them to Josh's house for lunch and to see all the new things he has done to his house. We had a great day but later that night I started to get sick. Didn't mess around go to the Dr office and have been on antibiotics for a couple of days. Missed Easter dinner with the family too sick to really care. Think the meds are working feeling better this morning.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8519514

Holly--

I saw your Post and replied on the other Thread...Please go see...

Not sure what is going on...This AM--I could not even open DG!
We might have just cross posted somehow?????Anyway--I believe all grounds are covered...

G.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8520500

Awww feel better Holly

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2011
3:44 AM

Post #8520941

Holly, in time all the work will tone you up. It will get better!

Awww, I'm sorry you are sick. I sent the Grandkids home at the right time. They didn't miss Easter supper with the other Grandparents, but one had bad diarrhea all the next day. Not sick, just that. It only lasted the day.

Yesterday, I hoed, raked and planted 6 short rows of spinach before it started to sprinkle. Then I FINALLY sowed all the seeds I needed to put under the lights in the house.

It was not a warm day and I wore a stocking cap in the garden! When I walked around town, I wore my headband and gloves. This morning it's balmy. It rained off and on yesterday and into the night. It's raining now, lightly.

DD and the boys came yesterday and brought me 10 dozen eggs. Dad will get about half of them. I'll use 4 today, in 2 rhubarb custard pies. Spring tonic that rhubarb is :o)

She also brought the meat grinder with juicer attatchment. I can't wait to try it with tomatoes for juice this year. If it works, I'll only have to heat the juice, as it skins and seeds!

Chris, I hope you are up and around.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8521202

Hey Ladyg, Happy Birthday!!!!!!

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8521223

Yesterday was not a good day, so sore, we had a front go through and the bone pain intensified, I have not been sleeping well so I took 2 Tylenol PM at 8:00 and went to bed. That worked, slept most of the night waking up a few times to roll over.
It is suppose to be warm today with storms. I did get out a little this morning to walk the yard. Well try to get out as much today as the weather permits.
Holly, hope you are feeling better, starting a new job will take a lot out of you, there is underlying stress that you are not aware of, so when you do catch a bug it hits you hard.
Gita, I could not get on Dave's either yesterday, I just gave up.
Billy you are a busy bee, sun up to sun down. You garden will be so nice once you can start harvesting all your hard work.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8521228

Hey! Holly, Yep, made it to another one. LOL

Thank you.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8521362

Lady g all of my azaleas are blooming and lining up to wish you a Happy Birthday!!

The pass along coleus from you via Sally has made it to its third year! Life goes on!

Many Happy Returns to you.

Judy

This message was edited Apr 26, 2011 10:01 AM

Thumbnail by coleup

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8521414

And here is a special video for you. Hope you like it.

http://www.ted.com/talks/eric_whitacre_a_virtual_choir_2_000_voices_strong.html

I'd like to teach the world to sing, too!!!

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8521428

Happy Birthday Lady G! Hope it is a good day for you and you enjoy it.
My Hydrangea I got from you a few years ago is doing well. Robin
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8521436

[quote="billyporter"]

Yesterday, I hoed, raked and planted 6 short rows of spinach before it started to sprinkle. Then I FINALLY sowed all the seeds I needed to put under the lights in the house.

It was not a warm day and I wore a stocking cap in the garden! When I walked around town, I wore my headband and gloves. .[/quote]

Lol Billy! When I read your post I thought you said "Yesterday, I hoed NAKED!!!! Quite a picture, sans all but a stocking cap planting rows of spinach!

My rhubarb just bloomed after planting lasy year..I may need some of those Spring tonic pie recipies from you.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8521532

Special flower for a special 'lady(g)" Best wishes on your birthday! May the storms bring a rainbow.

Thumbnail by sallyg

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8521793

Happy b-day Chris, hope the t-storms don't keep you from doing what you want to do today

Thumbnail by flowAjen

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8522184

Happy Birthday, Chris!!

Hope the bone pain subsides so you can enjoy the sunshine times between storms!

FYI, if you ever want to take the "PM" part without the Tylenol, take a Benedryl or its generic equivalent (1 or 2 regular strength, or 1 extra strength).
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8522265

LOL Ladyg, I just took Ric's new scooter out for a short ride. He doesn't have it licensed yet or it would have been a much longer ride. You should get one of these to run around on. Boy it was fun. I'm thinking I should have one, too.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8523549

Yesterday was a pretty low keyed birthday but full of nice things for me. Seeing my first asparagus shoots, picked my first lettuce from the basement to put on my ham sandwich, boy I really missed that crunch, it was so good. My pink baseball cap with scarf arrived in the mail go thing it came with instructions, took we a few times to wrap the scarf right. I was outside most of the day, even finished the prep on a small annual bed, laid newspaper and finely shredded leaves to block the weeds till my annuals in the basement are ready to plant.
My daughter sent me a monogrammed tote from Lands Ends, these are really nice, lots of inside pockets and the zipper is raised up to secure what is inside. It will be really nice when we visit her on the boat.
Jill I remember my nurse telling me about the Benedryl, so many tricks to remember.
Holly, I need one of those 3 wheel things, I'll second that idea about you getting a scooter too.
Thanks everyone for all the Birthday wishes, you are the best.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011

Post #8523694

Chris! How did I miss your Birthday??? I guess that's what I get for trying to rush around on both sites. Head hung in shame :o(

A VERY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!

Holly, what beautiful roses!

Chris, smiling, that's why your B'days are so special!

I hope you're over the side effects soon. If your flower beds are like mine, they're waiting for the warmer weather too. Then we'll both enjoy being outside.

I'm really looking forward to harvesting this year! I need to move closets around and try and get the grinder/juicer fit in somewhere. It's already 7:50 am. I have a whole house needing to be dusted. Where did my super clean house go? I'm back to a room at a time :o)

Coleup, how beautiful!

ROTFL&L over the naked! Not on your life!! Altho... bent over I would have faced the garage, and the arborvitaes would have shielded my right side. Both neighbors at work. NOPE!!!

The pie was the right sweet and sour! Recipe coming up.

Sallyg, a very special pretty!

FlowAjen, another gorgeous bloom! I'm going to have to search the archives for a photo.

Jill, it's nice to have someone who can help with tips.

Holly, NICE!!! You SHOULD have one!

Chris, my asparagus is waiting for it to warm up.

Aww on the hat and scarf. Talk about who was busy outside!! It sure wasn't me!

Everyone likes Poppies!

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8523699

Rhubarb Custard Pie

1 c. Milk
4 t. Flour
2 T. Butter
1/4 t. Salt
3 Egg yolks
2 c. Rhubarb
3/4 c. Sugar

Scald the milk. Add the butter & let melt.

Slightly beat the egg yolks.

When cool, stir the milk and butter into the egg. Add the sugar, flour & salt.

Spread the rhubarb in an 8'' pie pan lined with crust. Pour the custard over top.

Bake 425 degrees for 20 minutes, then,

Bake 325 degrees for 25 minutes, or until custard is set.

Cool and refrigerate before eating.

This is the best pie !!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8524167

OH YUM!!!!!!

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8524387

Got my permit today and Ric has the bike all legal so I am good to ride. LOL
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8524493

She was born to ride!!!!!!

Happy Belated Birthday, LadyG. glad you were able to spend alot of time outside sporting your pink scarfy hat.

That recipe looks good enough to eat.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8524774

thanks for the rhubarb recipe ... will give it a try!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8525030

Lady---and you ARE!!! Like in that song---"Lady...whatever comes next..."

You inspire us all! You give us the courage to be as strong as you are--IF we should ever
find ourselves in your shoes. Love to read your Posts and how well you are dealing with everything...

HAPPY, Happy belated Birthday!!!!!!!
Now-- I have to find a super picture to send you----something no one has seen before...

Dig...dig...dig...AHHH! Here it is!!!!

Love, Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8525042

Judy!!!

WHERE do you find these amazing links to things?????

Just LOVED, LOVED the World Choir!!!!! SO amazing!!!!

Thank you for sharing that. Gita

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8525834

We have one more cold windy nasty day before it warms up over the weekend. Then it's to be cool again.

I need to measure in the garden for landscaping blocks. I'd like to turn the rhubarb into a raised bed. The ''raised'' is already there. After the blocks are in, I can whittle down the slope. Since my kitchen window looks right at that area, I'm looking forward to the change.

I think I could pull a few stalks of rhubarb too. I see seed heads forming low under the leaves already.

FlowJen, it is! I just had a piece for breakfast. It's fast and easy to make too.

Holly, you are so cool!!

Gita, ROTFL!!! I immediatly started singing ''Lady,'' and that's all I know too!!

I agree. I will be strong because I have a few very strong models to look up to.

Wow, that is a spectacular picture!!

I just went thru my gathered seeds and realized I missed the Malva I had. I saved the red seed and am going to try and start a few.

Thanks for the reminder. I didn't have time to watch the video, but will do it now.

Coleup, this is my last post today because the video was beyond words. I'm carrying that beauty with me thru the day. Thank you so much for finding it!

Have a beautiful day all!

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8526031

Good morning everyone. The warm weather has left, we are in the mid 50 s. more cloudy then sun. Good day to work on seedlings in the basement.
Gita, you make me blush LOL. From the very beginning I was determined to fight with everything I had. I also made sure I had positive thinking people around me. I believe those are the 2 key factors that keep cancer survivors going. Love that red flower, I can almost pick it a tuck it behind my ear.
Coleup, Loved the video. It's amazing what can be done when people join together even if it is through the invisible Internet link. Look at the friendships we have cultivated just here on DG.
You all must forgive me if I miss responding to some posts, I have been noticing a bit of "chemo brain", but I am getting more exercise as I am doing more back tracking for things I am forgetting.
Holly's new theme song "Get your motor running, get out on the highway" LOL
Catbird, I forgot about giving you that Hydrangea has it bloomed for you yet ?
I like Custard Pie, might give this one a try. But Paul has to have his pure rhubarb pie first. I'm the adventurous eater in the family.
Billy that raise bed will be so nice to look at.
Going for my scans tomarrow, keep your fingers crossed that this chemo is working.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8526510

Fingers and toes are crossed, prayers going up! As hard as it's been on you, this chemo had better be working like gangbusters, or I say God has some 'splaining to do.

I had a PET scan last week and it came back "looking good," so now I want the same for you!

*hugs*
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8526935

Jill, great news on the PET.
I was getting some twinges in the liver area this time, I kept thinking "that's the tumors shrinking".
Today was the best I have felt in 2 weeks. I got so much stuff done, one load of laundry, potted up my geraniums and seed dahlias, and made my version of chicken cordon blue for dinner. Now it is time to put feet up and relax.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8527094

LOL ROFLOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8528173

[quote="ladygardener1"]
Today was the best I have felt in 2 weeks.
[/quote]
YAY!! Hope it continues!
Like Jill said...
ROFL
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8528488

Hip, hip, hooray!!!!!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8529826

57/66
Windy with showers this morning then scattered thunderstorms developing during the afternoon hours. High 66F. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

It sprinkled this morning, but that was all.

Chris, LOL! I went straight to "Bornnn to beee Wiiildd!"

Don't worry about not responding to everything. A person can get even farther behind if they try to answer everything :o)

This custard is the sweet that offsets the tart. I had real custard once and wanted to spit it out. It tasted like cold scrambled eggs, but worse. I can eat scrambled eggs cold. It sure wasn't what I expected!

Have you posted the recipe for Paul's pure rhubarb? It sounds interesting.

Well, good thing I pray. I'm behind, so I will have to see if your scans went ok.

Jill, that is fantastic news!! You are always in my prayers too.

Chris, "Happy Dance" for you feeling GOOD! I have two left feet, so my happy dance will be done in the privacy of my own home :o)

Since we had a chance of rain today, I worked in the gardens all day yesterday. I planted all the early things, radish, turnip, kohlrobi, beet and the rest of the spinach. Then I watered all the rows.

I worked in the other garden after that. I had measured the rhubarb patch and left the string. I leveled out the sloped area and raked the dirt to the low spots. Some I added to the rhubarb bed. Next goal is to get the flowers out of the garden for once and for all!!

I did pot up a small rhubarb that grew from a root and found some small hollyhocks that I might put in the free pile if I can't find a suitable place for them. I would sure like to find that suitable place! Times like this I wish we had an old outhouse. Actually, yesterday I was wishing we did have one so I didn't have to tromp thru the house, LOL!

We are going to Pizza Ranch to eat my free medium Birthday pizza before we go to Menards. I have a coupon signed by the owners. Wasn't that a nice small town thing to do?

Chris, extra prayers and thanks for the good reports, for you and Jill, among others.

Hugs and love to all!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8540925

Oh good, I was the last to post. I thought maybe I lost the thread, LOL!

We have a chance of rain today, but I got the whole Rose Bed weeded yesterday, and need to finish on the South Peony Bed. I have to get in there with a shovel and eradicate the Rover Campanula. No more leaving one pretty plant. It's gone!!

My tomato, pepper etc. are up. I almost didn't get the light on soon enough. Poor things were tall and leaning. Good thing I can bury them to their necks when I transplant. It couldn't have been more than a day tho since they are only an inch tall.

Chris, I hope all is going well and hope the rest of you are busy busy!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8541038

Hoping for a beautiful, sunny day for you.

Yes, busy, busy. I pulled on a root in a garden and of course it uprooted some other things, including some of the bricks in the path. So, now I will pull them all out, cuz it really needed redoing - they had settled and wild strawberry is taking over. So, I'll eventually raise the foundation a little and relay them. Probably widen it too, since I didn't plan very well years ago. But who knew? I certainly didn't back then.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8541126

Chris, Hope you are feeling better today.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8541545

Chris posted elsewhere that she's got good news on tumors shrinking with this chemo. (Didn't want to steal her thunder but you guys just have to know good positive signs!)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8541688

Jan, laughing, but with you! That was some root! I was pulling an aster that went all over with long runners and had to replant a few things!

Sallyg whispering, that's great!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8541715

woohoo
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8545298

Starting part 8 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1178870/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America