Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Hanging in there... Part 7

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Wishing you all a Happy St. Patrick's Day, one day early. I have to go for more scans tomarrow morning, so will not be able to get online.
Monday will be treatment # 3, Half way mark !

I have been starting seeds in the basement, at a much slower pace. All tasks are done in short time spans and need a rest period. But I could not imagine a year without fussing over some seeds.

(picture is from last year)

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

All the best tomorrow..

Here's a pic from yesterday...spring has sprung!!!!

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. I know you will be glad when all these treatments are over. Ric is making corn beef and cabbage with potatoes and soda bread tomorrow. We are having Josh and my parents over for lunch.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Here is a little bunch of daffs for you.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hope all goes well for you! I feel bad you having to go through all this.....
You are strong! Just think positive thoughts--and spend as much time as you can in your
Garden--even if it is just for the peace it brings to your soul....

I have no flowers to post yet. Too cold--too wet....
This weekend is supposed to be really warm--maybe close to 80* in Friday! WOW!
I am sure many small blooms will just "POP".....
Still need to fertilize my lawn.....I'll have to see what kind of stuff I have laying around...

We had more rain--so nothing is really drying out. Can't work in a "mud-flat".....:o(

Will post whatever I can find in bloom!

Hugs to you---Gita

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Chris, I'm sending my sunniest thought your way for a good day and good test results. I need to get away from the computer and put a ham in the oven. I goofed and had CB and cabbage last week! Here's a pretty (florist) rose for you.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm with you, I think I would have to fool around with a few seeds every spring no matter what shape I was in. I've got a few things sprouting in the basement now too, but it's too soon to say if I'll manage to stick with my intention to not get too carried away with seed starting this year LOL.

These "pink" crocuses are a new favorite of mine since they multiplied so cooperatively last year!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

You should see my Castor Bean seeds they look like tall skinny telephone poles. Really I started them a bit early thinking that last year it took them awhile to get some height and these are just taking off. I won't be able to keep them under the lights as they are almost touching them already.

Coleus seedlings don't like me (sniff), maybe my area is too cool or my potting soil is not good. I do better with big chunky things. I have castors started also, and too tall also LOL . Moonflower vines is cute, they put up two huge winglike seed leaves . Tomatos are pretty easy and I think its neat that the baby foliage smells like tomato foliage even while tiny.

Chris, hope you can enjoy some nice mild sun like we have down here today!!!!

The scans when well, I'll find out the results on Monday when I go for treatment #3. I could not wait to get home as the day was warm and sunny and I wanted to get out in the yard.
I was home by 3:00 so I changed into my comfort clothes and headed outside, I did some lite raking and a few other lite garden chores. Resting in between. It will take me awhile to catch up on what I should have done last fall, but slow and steady gets me there.

Gita, I was surprised with all the snow and rain we had, that my back yard is not a mud-flat too. I guess you had more moisture then me.
Thanks everyone for all the pretty flowers.
Holly and Sallyg, Castors are one of the last seeds I start. They get tall fast. You may have to pot those babies up and grow them as exotic container plants. LOL. Start some more later for garden plants.
For some reason I cannot get Moonflowers to bloom for me, It might be my growing season isn't quite long enough. I got then to bloom when I lived in Pgh. : (

Sallyg, what happens to your Coleus seedlings? That's ok I have a co-worker that can not get Jello to set, we have grilled her on how to make Jello, the only thing we have not done is watch her make it. LOL

I did some more gentle raking and cut down some of my butterfly bushes this morning, the temperature is going to drop later today, so I wanted to get outside when It was still nice out.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

In taking a break glad your scans are done. For some reason I thought my Castors were slow to start last year that is why I started them now. I have so many seeds I was thinking of chucking these and start more later but I like your idea better. If I can find a spot to put them I started a ton of them. LOL

(Zone 5a)

Jill, I did get the corrected copy, thanks.

I'm still down with the H1N1, but am up a bit more now. I hope to have some energy soon. DH said my crocus are blooming.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Praying for good test results tomorrow, LadyG!

Billy, so sorry you got hit with flu... glad you've turned the corner with it. I'm glad to be able to get out into the yard again myself... it was sad to see the first crocus blooms from inside the house! You'll get there. Give yourself a break... when you finally get a little energy back, use it to simply enjoy being up and feeling better, don't try to do any of the 101 undone things around the house.

I'm sure we're all sending good thoughts up to Chris today on round 3. Halfway done!
Huge mental hugs--

(Zone 5a)

FlowaJen, beautiful little iris!!

Catbird, I love those little daffs!

Gita, 80*, wow, basking weather!

Sallyg, so beautiful!! I love the color!

Jill, the pink crocus are a beautiful color too. I love those pinkish purplish delicates!

Holly, I had to smile at the castor beans. I did that with Lions Ear one year. Oh, I just barely got them out in time, LOL!

Sallyg, the columbines don't like me. I don't see a sprout yet :o(

Chris, what were the scans for? I'm glad they went well!

I got a big smile over the Jello girl :o)

Jill, thanks for the encouragement. It does feel nice and it does make a difference in how I all of a sudden feel better :o)

(Zone 5a)

Yes me too! I had things written and then went back to see everyone's pictures when I realized the thread wasn't a mile long. I wrote that first and of course it erased.

Paryers for a good treatment!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ladyg, Good luck today.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Hoping you get really good results today, Chris!!! HUGS and a big pink posy from me to you.

Thumbnail by DaylilyDiva219

Back to square one. We switched chemo drugs. The Doxil I was on is not working for me. Scans showed the tumors in the liver are larger, but the liver is functioning normal. There are new durgs coming out all the time, it's just a matter for finding the right one. What might work for one will not work for another. One step at a time.
Still fighting!

Oh Chris, that is such a bummer! I'm sorry the liver tumors have grown, but it is good news that the liver function is normal - which is a good sign.

Do they have a new drug in mind, and if so, when can you start the protocol?

Hang in there, as you do so well, stay strong, as you ALSO do so well, and I hope you can have a restful evening. Here's an armful of pink posies for you!

Love & Hugs, Barb

Thumbnail by DaylilyDiva219
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Hugs and Love, Hopefully the new chemo will do the trick. Good news that the liver is working well.

Barb, Yes I started the new chemo drug today, did not want to waste the 1 1/2 drive. It was a long day as the first treatment is slow so that if I have a serious reaction they can catch it early. They also have to give preventative drugs before hand to minimize any side effects.
My chart will soon need it own room. LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chris, that is SO not the news we were all hoping for, but yes, the great thing about all the research being done and advances being made is that there are more options available all the time. Hopefully the next one that your oncologist tries will be the one that knocks those tumors back but good!

I know it's hard to keep the positive vibes going when you're faced with a setback, but as you said, you're still fighting, and we'll keep hoping and praying with you, and hopefully in a few days you'll be back to fighting even harder. I think of a boxer who gets hit hard and goes back to his corner to regroup, get a pep talk from his trainer, a quick shoulder rub, maybe a drink, and then he comes out fighting harder than ever as his fans cheer him on. :-)

Good analogy, Jill - Chris, we are all in your corner!!! Love and hugs comin' atcha from all over!!!

Glad you went right on the new drug, too. So you did indeed have a long day. Take care tonight, and do something special for yourself - you deserve it!

(Zone 5a)

Chris, I see you are still fighting! You have a nice strong liver! Prayers for finding the right combo sooner than later!!

You are also paving the way for others who will have trouble with their drugs. They will be very grateful for that.

Jill, a wonderful mental picture, and I can see Chris listening and nodding her head. In a burst of energy she gathers strength and has the perfect knock out punch! And she is energized!

Hugs and prayers Chris!

If wishes were horses, there'd be a thundering herd headed your way. You still have those claws firmly embedded in your Hang in there Kitty rope. Chris, you are the best!
My Kitty is not hanging but he'll be checking in on you.

Thumbnail by sallyg
(Zone 5a)

That is the best picture!!!!

Thanks 'billy'- he cracks me up, that window is over the kitchen sink and he'll climb on a chair and pop up 'in my face' to let me know he wants to come in!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

pretty kitty

Jill, I like your analogy too. I did fell a gut punch yesterday but got up fast when talking about the next move and starting the other chemo.
Sallyg, your kitty is cute, and I love the card you sent.
I started to listening to my Enya music before going to sleep at night, It is very relaxing and soothing. I had gotten away from it, and was reading instead, but getting to sleep has been a issue lately and one of the side effects of this new chemo is trouble sleeping, I am going to try natural methods before going the drug route.
So far I am feeling pretty good, took the dogs to get groomed this morning, picked up some things at the local grocery, and am making my Cowboy beans and rice. may knock out a pan of cornbread to go with it.
My seeds are looking pretty good in the basement. Need to start more. I am a bit behind, but taking baby steps. I want to scatter some poppy seeds out in one of my outside beds that was sent to me at the swap 2 years ago. I never got around to it last year.

Oh, I have sprouts of Jill's Pink Petunias seeds from Swap!!! It's a good omen I am sure.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love that photo Sally

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have Orange California Poppy seeds--if you would like to have some....

I dug the plant up last fall--and gave it away----HAH! Wouldn't you know it--
I have now THREE new plants growing in that same spot!! I know the rots go deep--so I am stuck!!!

So many of my seeds are up already. Weird--that a whole tray of my Heirloom Tomato
seeds have not sprouted????
Tonight--I reseeded them all--maybe I just need to wait--but the ones in another tray are coming up.
The "dead" tray is the one I was seeding for my manager......a bad omen!!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got a bunch of little pepper seedlings underway, but I need to start my tomatoes, like, yesterday! I sowed a whole bunch of 'Pink Wave' petunias and need to start some of those little pink petunias (the ones Sally started) to go with them. I'm hoping to have some nice pink petunias to share at the spring swap, but I may have started them a bit late. No matter, they'll bloom eventually... and this way, they won't need big pots while they're still inside. I've also got some dense rows of Torenia seedlings that will need transplanting soon... even if I pot them up in clumps, looks like I might have a few extras to share. :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm waiting to see if my peppers will come up.

na na nee boo boo, my tomatoes sprouted today too! Limbaughs legacy potato top, thank you jill

(Zone 5a)

Sallyg, I love cats who know what they want. :o)

Chris, I like Enya, and Natalie Merchant. She's got a very pretty soothing voice and I've been thinking about her lately. I'll have to have a listen.

Gita, a whole tray is unusual. I hope your second sowing is more sucessful.

I can't believe you guys have things sprouting all over the place! Wonderful

Morning everyone, I got a good night's sleep, with the help of a sleep aid, after consulting with my Oncology nurse yesterday, and listening to Enya. Love her "Paint the Sky with Stars" album.
Thanks Gita for your kind offer of seeds but I have several packs of poppy seeds the Stormy sent me 2 years ago and need to be planted. If I get around to it. Your AW and Beef Stake begonias and the Burgmanisa that I got from you at Holly's swap are growing strong, I think of you every time I see them.
Jill, those petunias will take off blooming once they get out side, I noticed that the one year that I started them late. They were the best flowering petunias that year.
I have some pink Geraniums, Ice Rose, started as well as pink petunias, Dolcissima Fragolino. I have a whole store house of seeds I can play with, I was in several Round Robin seeds swaps, and haven't made a dent in all the seeds I have, and I still buy more, call it an addiction ; )
I have 2 of Doc's Purple Millets sprouting, I like them as a center focal point in my big containers. I sowed six seeds and only 2 are up so far, may have to sow more as insurance.
Gita, that is odd that a whole tray did not sprout, are they the same seeds as the other tray?
Billy I'll have to check out Natalie Merchant, I am not familiar with her. I can do that pretty easily on Amazon. com sometime you can listen to small snippets of the album to try it out before you buy.
Today is a dreary day, had a dusting of snow and then rain this morning. Looks like a seed sowing day in the basement.

Good morning! It is dreary here today too. I prepared for it by spending a little extra time outside yesterday while I could. Making hay I guess !!!!!!!!!!! There is plenty of inside work I should be doing too....outside work is usually just me making an excuse to be outside.

Sallyg, I am the same way, I can work outside all day, but inside "how boring". Nothing like the sounds of nature and the feel of the sun and gentle breeze to make the work fun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.