Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Does canned white corn discolor?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 7, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8430032

I don't where I heard it or if it's true. Does white corn discolor when canned? I have some picky eaters that won't eat anything that looks off. I know I can freeze, however I'd to save some freezer space this year.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8433227

I don't now about white corn. I prefer yellow myself. My experience has been that it sometimes depends on what is in the water that you use in caning. I remember having pinkish pears. If your clan is used to eating frozen corn then the canned corn is going to look different. Compare canned yellow corn with frozen yellow corn. The frozen corn is brighter.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2011 11:59 PM
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8434675

I would only can a small batch first and let your "picky" eaters give it a try. To us frozen corn is so much better. Many years ago we canned all of our corn because of freezer space, but now we give it a priority.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8435269

Thanks!
I have the same issue with pears having a pink cast at times. Didn't know that about the water, makes sense. I agree about yellow corn, but you can't convince my husband that silver queen is bee's knees. To me creamed corn doesn't taste the same unless it's yellow.lol

Eden, I think I may do just that. There are probably other things I could can...save my space. Hmmm, more thinking to do.
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8436264

The super-sweet varieties do tend to turn a brownish tone. Think of sugar caramelizing. So yes, especially with the long processing time, you can experience a loss of the bright color.

If you have picky eaters, then corn may be one of the foods you prioritize in terms of freezer space.

Carol
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8436807

Thank you, Carol!
Aha, the sugars!
It sounds like if there is a color change it would be immediate?

Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8438536

I'd have to open the canner to find that out. It's a long processing time and I have no idea at what point it occurs. All I know is canning creamed corn in particular, I do perceive noticeable color change when I pull the jars out. It doesn't happen on the shelf during storage but during the application of heat in pc-ing.

Carol
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8438627

Thank you, Carolyn. That is what I was wondering if it was noticeable after canning or turned durring the shelf life.
The seeds aren't even sown, yet. That'll give me plenty of time to sort out canning and freezer needs :0)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America