Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carolina Gardening: Easy way to water a long bed

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8434534

It's been so dry I've been trying to think of a way to water my ginger and other long beds without having to stand there with a hose for an hour or use a sprinkler and end up watering the grass outside them as well. What I did was disconnect the drive mechanism from one of my oscillating sprinklers, pointed it straight up and turned on the water and it works beautifully!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8434537

Good idea. I also like the way you've constructed beds out of 4x4's - I might have to consider doing that myself against the house, would help reign in some of the canna beds which get a little out of control.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8434600

Lol .. I got rid of all my canna because I got tired of rounding up the escapees and fighting leaf rollers .. gingers are so much easier! They aren't as unruly as canna.

Also, you don't want to water like this on a breezy day.
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8434664

Oh I hate those leaf rollers, they aggravate me to death. I may switch to all gingers this year, I like them better anyway and had honestly been thinking about doing that.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8434688

This year I have a real variety ginger, hedychium, curcuma and costus .. all with different growth habits that compliment each other.
BSD
Conway, SC

March 21, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8441224

X That is a nice bed and a good idea for watering. My eyes went straight to the beautiful brick on your house. How old is your home ? We have the old Charleston brick on our fireplace and front porch. They came from a hotel that was torn down in Charleston in the 60's.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8441262

Thanks! If I remember correctly this neighborhood was built in the 70's. The brick is called Salisbury and it's about 1/2 inch bigger than normal brick all the way around. I discovered the name and odd size when I had to patch a hole that a room air conditioner was in.

X
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8441312

It really has been try, hasn't it? I was just checking the weather forecast, doesn't look like there is any hope 'til next week!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8441448

I know it has been here .. normally I let my beds fend for themselves waterwise but with everything trying to come up I'm afraid it would affect their overall health and quality this year without watering them. Especially the gingers and Asiatic lilies.

According to the 10 day, we might get some rain this weekend but I'm not counting on it.
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

March 21, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8441987

A long, narrow bed like that is a natural for a relatively cheap soaker hose Xeramtheum. You could even hook it up to a (again, relatively) cheap battery-driven electronic controller and just forget about it for the summer. It will reliably do all the work for you all summer long. I've used these gizmo's all over the place around here, and they've been remarkably reliable. Once I hook them up and set them, I stop thinking about getting water to the beds. It just magically "happens". And if you have to pay for your water, it's also the most economical, because YOU control the usage by how you program them.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8442623

I actually had soaker hoses and I already have a battery operated shut on/off water thingy. I wasn't too keen on them here because they would end up flooding some areas. It was hard to get just the right pressure. It was either too much or too little and rarely just right - I ended up giving them all away.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8443757

I am a big soaker proponent also. I have attached these 4 outlet bibbs to all my outside hose bibbs and I usually put timers on the two outside bibbs. I buy mine at lowes but this is what it looks like. We have hoses going in all directions around here.
http://www.garrettwade.com/solid-brass-multi-hose-faucet-with-shutoff/p/15T06.02/

X, Salisbury was the name of a brick manufacturer in Summerville, they were sitll there in the early 70's when I left the area. My home there was built with Salisbury brick also. They used to sell their seconds for $.10 a piece and I had many garden paths built with those slightly chipped bricks.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8443949

Sigh .. I searched for months for enough brick to patch the hole with no luck - I ended up having to use regular brick and the guy who did it apparently lied and really didn't know his butt from a mouse hole and did a lousy job. I was actually thinking I might get some white paint and dab it on the bricks here and there in hopes of somehow camouflaging the jumbled mess but am afraid it might actually make it more noticeable.

You can see a bit of it in the upper left hand corner of the picture above.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8444997

Wish I could remember where the brick place was. Out towards Givhans maybe? There is probably a whole field of broken bricks scattered around. Unless, they have built a new subdivision on the property which is probably what happened.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America