Does Anyone Have These Guys?

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

How hard would it be, to build a coop like this one?
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/Boughton-902a-with-Wheels-4-6-chickens-p145.aspx

(Zone 5b)

Quote from melvatoo :
How hard would it be, to build a coop like this one?
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/Boughton-902a-with-Wheels-4-6-chickens-p145.aspx

I have no idea how much it would cost to build that coop, retail price is terribly high for that tiny coop! Try looking in Bargain Hunter/ Penny Saver type newspapers or the like. Sometimes they have used sheds, or large rabbit cages, cheap. WIth a few adjustments they make nice coops. Or, check out CraigsList in your area.

Good luck!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Oh I agree..the retail price is expensive....

Conroe, TX

awwwwww the babies are sooo cute, and so fluffy looking, I just want to grab one.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Does anyone know anything first hand, about these Bantams?

(Zone 5b)

Sorry, I don't know anything about them, but since they're cute, I want some LOL I only have one bantam, a Silkie, and we love her to bits. All of the rest of our chickens are LF.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I have been looking at all the breeds.,..but keep coming back to these guys.

(Zone 5b)

I love bantams, but, need to have a lot of eggs, big eggs. I supply all the eggs for my parents, sisters, and occasionally give to my wonderful neighbors. Once a week I give a dozen eggs to the food bank too. So, small eggs layers don't have a place here. We only got the Silkie as a broody but so far, at a year old, she has never gone broody. She is the lone non working yard decoration.

Tamworth, NH(Zone 4b)

I saw a lot of them in person at the fair. They are very pretty.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I have a quad of them. I love them. I also have 2 pr of Black mottled D'Uccles and the roo's are super friendly. The follow me in the yard and if I sit down they jump up on the table next to my shoulder

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Do you have any pictures? Are they pretty quiet? Where did you get them? Are they good layers? and how small are the eggs? (that is a low priority, I am just curious)

Ferndale, WA

I love the chickens but am not fond of feathered feet. To much rain here in the Great Northwest for feather footed fowl. However I am very fond of the birds, they are beautiful...Hay

Personally I think the price of the coop is disgusting. there is probably a hundred fifty dollars in materials, and a maximum of four - five hours in labor. (Time) No

that is just disgusting...Hay

I am building a six foot high X eight foot long, nine compartment condo for a customer for $350.00. That price is out rageous...Nothing wrong in making a dollar but taking advantage is not ok with me...

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I agree, the price is disgusting...I wish I lived near you, and you could build me a coop.

Richmond, TX

It does not take great skill to design and build your own coop and you can save money by working with materials that are already on hand. Over $1000 for a coop? Ridiculous!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Yes, but I do fear it is beyond my skill set...I am going to have to find someone to build it for me.

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

Good for you, Melva!
Northhaven gardens had a coop just like that for sale. I don't remember how much, but you might be able to get a closer look as to how it's made. Call first and see if they still have them, it's been awhile since I've been there.

(Zone 5b)

Melvatoo, if you have a design in mind for your coop just draw out the dimentions. Most stores like Lowes will pre-cut the wood for you within a couple days. All you will need is a hammer and nail to put it together together and the hardward cloth.
That is what I did for the chickie pen - and I made the height the same as the roll of wire cloth so I wouldn't have to cut the wire. Yes, my neighbor helped me but it was worth paying him a few bucks. If I need one in the future I'll take the measurements to Lowes and have them the pre-cut wood. A pen or coop that is functional is WAY less costly than the "cute" ones.
I just saw a cutie coop, 4 x 8, that was painted BRIGHT pink, it was $2,800. So not worth it!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I had a pair of Millies... What are you looking for as far as your reason for having them? Eggs? Mine didn't produce that much, banty eggs are going to be small. It seems they are mostly for looks.. They were handled daily and never did really "warm up" as far as being friendly. Fun, but I never got any more of them once they were gone.
The friendliest bird I ever had was a bantam Cochin.. Lil bowling ball with feet.. Came running to meet me every day. Loved her!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

No, don't really care about the eggs...I just like the looks of the chickens.
A Cochin Banty? Must look into them...I was also leaning toward the Silkie Banties...

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Snowshoe.. a bantam cochin... my all time friendliest chicken. :)

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Dudley and his ladies

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Black Mottle D'Uccle Roo

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Blk Mottled Roo #2

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

one of my Blk Mottled hens

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous! What can you tell me about them?

Ferndale, WA

I love Snoshoe, gorgeous.

I also love Dudley and his ladies, and I love that name. Cracks me up...Hay

Melvatoo: It would be a privlege to build a coop for you. Often times I wished I was in the area to help out some of the Ladies and they could learn the use of power tools and angles.

. Building coops is so much fun especially when your doing it with a friend...

This message was edited Mar 19, 2011 9:23 PM

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Why thank you, Hay...what a nice thing to say...my birthday is coming up, hope to get some $ to at least start getting materials for a coop. I need to find some plans for the coop that I posted..I like the design of that one. However we have a pen that was built as a turtle pen (he escaped or was taken...anyway he is gone) it is an area approx. 8 by 12...it was built more in line of keeping things in, and not keeping things out, there is re-bar every few inches on 3 walls and the 4th one is the wall of the garage. It might be easier to somehow enclose the pen to make a coop..I plan to just have a few hens maybe as many as 6....

Ferndale, WA

Melvatoo, have you looked at the thread by ZZ's (my best coop) she has posted pic's of two coops that are very simple and would be perfect for six - eight chicks. I hope you can get the supplies and have the coop you want. I really do like building them, it's just a lot of fun...Hay P.S. ZZ's said she would send the plans to anyone requesting them...

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I did see that thread....

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Hay,

Mr.Peppers had become a bit ill tempered over the winter months in his condo i had built for him ,as i have yet to get him any gals to share it with yet either . but i did let him out on every good day there was . his spur's are almost 4 inches long now and i guess i need to trim them and his nails since spring has sprung .

I found your Roo taming technique on the other thread and have started with that here in the last few days . he is doing Much better !

i do agree with you on the price of the coops they are extreme while me and my crew built ours out of stuff we gathered up and salvaged the cost of hardware was not bad at all we did help a few others build theirs and it was fun to do so .

Sarge

Here is Mr. Peepers now (A Blue Splash Cochin)

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I hope the plans work out for you Melvatoo.. Really, it's not that expensive, and if you have bantams, it's perfect. It took me a while to build the second one cause I didn't have enough $ then either.. since this design is to build the walls first, I built a couple of walls.. then finished it after payday came. :) I used 1x4 trim boards.. Not the ones in the plans..

The biggest thing I love about it is that you can get inside and catch, doctor, or just sit and watch them, even in the rain... :) You can also store meds, feed additives, etc. above the coop part..

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is Milford and Beulah the second day I got them. The roo was getting beat up at the breeder's place.. She gave me the hen, just to keep him company!

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Milford insisted that was his place on top of the waterer.. Even after I built that lil roost for them! Milford was a total crack up.

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Richmond, TX

Did you build Mr Peepers his porch swing? If not perhaps that is the source of his ill temper...

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

LOL he will get his swing this spring as weather has now got warm and hopefully the new gals too . he will be very pleased this season with his place, by the time we are done.

Sarge

Here is one more of Mr.Peppers doing the happy dance as i was getting ready to feed him .

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Mr. Peppers is a handsome roo for sure!

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you ZZ,

he has come a long way from the skinny lil Roo that showed up a year ago. he has filled out very nicely both in body and feathers with the weather turning good now i will be giving him some much needed attention and bathing and trimming them spur's & toe nails (safety first you know).

he so loves being outside too, so the feathers around his feet have to be cleaned up and trimmed & shaped so he can walk proper. the winter months were a bit harsh here .

I am just happy the warm weather is finally here so we can get so many things done that need to be done .

Sarge

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

all I can say about them is they are very sweet and lay a small egg. They are really only good for eye candy unless you want to breed and sell chicks

Ferndale, WA

Howdy Sarge, Mr. Peepers is indeed a very handsome gent. I'm very pleased to hear the method is working for you. I know sometimes it has to be applied a couple two or three times for them to catch on, but the effort is worth it. I hope you have a very successful and happy summer with you feathered friends and family Sarge...Hay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.