Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Does Anyone Have These Guys?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 57, Views: 301
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8434548

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Mille-Fleur-dUccle-Bantam-p257.aspx
I think they are gorgeous!
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8434554

How hard would it be, to build a coop like this one?
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/Boughton-902a-with-Wheels-4-6-chickens-p145.aspx
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8434629

[quote="melvatoo"]How hard would it be, to build a coop like this one?
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/Boughton-902a-with-Wheels-4-6-chickens-p145.aspx[/quote]

I have no idea how much it would cost to build that coop, retail price is terribly high for that tiny coop! Try looking in Bargain Hunter/ Penny Saver type newspapers or the like. Sometimes they have used sheds, or large rabbit cages, cheap. WIth a few adjustments they make nice coops. Or, check out CraigsList in your area.

Good luck!

melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8434760

Oh I agree..the retail price is expensive...
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

March 18, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8434777

awwwwww the babies are sooo cute, and so fluffy looking, I just want to grab one.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8434805

Does anyone know anything first hand, about these Bantams?
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8434905

Sorry, I don't know anything about them, but since they're cute, I want some LOL I only have one bantam, a Silkie, and we love her to bits. All of the rest of our chickens are LF.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8434920

I have been looking at all the breeds.,..but keep coming back to these guys.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8434940

I love bantams, but, need to have a lot of eggs, big eggs. I supply all the eggs for my parents, sisters, and occasionally give to my wonderful neighbors. Once a week I give a dozen eggs to the food bank too. So, small eggs layers don't have a place here. We only got the Silkie as a broody but so far, at a year old, she has never gone broody. She is the lone non working yard decoration.
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 18, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8435042

I saw a lot of them in person at the fair. They are very pretty.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8435076

I have a quad of them. I love them. I also have 2 pr of Black mottled D'Uccles and the roo's are super friendly. The follow me in the yard and if I sit down they jump up on the table next to my shoulder
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8435090

Do you have any pictures? Are they pretty quiet? Where did you get them? Are they good layers? and how small are the eggs? (that is a low priority, I am just curious)
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 18, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8435164

I love the chickens but am not fond of feathered feet. To much rain here in the Great Northwest for feather footed fowl. However I am very fond of the birds, they are beautiful...Hay

Personally I think the price of the coop is disgusting. there is probably a hundred fifty dollars in materials, and a maximum of four - five hours in labor. (Time) No

that is just disgusting...Hay

I am building a six foot high X eight foot long, nine compartment condo for a customer for $350.00. That price is out rageous...Nothing wrong in making a dollar but taking advantage is not ok with me...
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8435195

I agree, the price is disgusting...I wish I lived near you, and you could build me a coop.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 18, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8435367

It does not take great skill to design and build your own coop and you can save money by working with materials that are already on hand. Over $1000 for a coop? Ridiculous!
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8435413

Yes, but I do fear it is beyond my skill set...I am going to have to find someone to build it for me.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8435469

Good for you, Melva!
Northhaven gardens had a coop just like that for sale. I don't remember how much, but you might be able to get a closer look as to how it's made. Call first and see if they still have them, it's been awhile since I've been there.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8435974

Melvatoo, if you have a design in mind for your coop just draw out the dimentions. Most stores like Lowes will pre-cut the wood for you within a couple days. All you will need is a hammer and nail to put it together together and the hardward cloth.
That is what I did for the chickie pen - and I made the height the same as the roll of wire cloth so I wouldn't have to cut the wire. Yes, my neighbor helped me but it was worth paying him a few bucks. If I need one in the future I'll take the measurements to Lowes and have them the pre-cut wood. A pen or coop that is functional is WAY less costly than the "cute" ones.
I just saw a cutie coop, 4 x 8, that was painted BRIGHT pink, it was $2,800. So not worth it!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8436158

I had a pair of Millies... What are you looking for as far as your reason for having them? Eggs? Mine didn't produce that much, banty eggs are going to be small. It seems they are mostly for looks.. They were handled daily and never did really "warm up" as far as being friendly. Fun, but I never got any more of them once they were gone.
The friendliest bird I ever had was a bantam Cochin.. Lil bowling ball with feet.. Came running to meet me every day. Loved her!
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8436297

No, don't really care about the eggs...I just like the looks of the chickens.
A Cochin Banty? Must look into them...I was also leaning toward the Silkie Banties...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8436335

This is Snowshoe.. a bantam cochin... my all time friendliest chicken. :)

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8437526

Dudley and his ladies

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8437530

Black Mottle D'Uccle Roo

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8437532

Blk Mottled Roo #2

Thumbnail by DonnaB

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8437534

one of my Blk Mottled hens

Thumbnail by DonnaB

melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8437552

Gorgeous! What can you tell me about them?
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 19, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8437560

I love Snoshoe, gorgeous.

I also love Dudley and his ladies, and I love that name. Cracks me up...Hay

Melvatoo: It would be a privlege to build a coop for you. Often times I wished I was in the area to help out some of the Ladies and they could learn the use of power tools and angles.

. Building coops is so much fun especially when your doing it with a friend...

This message was edited Mar 19, 2011 9:23 PM
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8437574

Why thank you, Hay...what a nice thing to say...my birthday is coming up, hope to get some $ to at least start getting materials for a coop. I need to find some plans for the coop that I posted..I like the design of that one. However we have a pen that was built as a turtle pen (he escaped or was taken...anyway he is gone) it is an area approx. 8 by 12...it was built more in line of keeping things in, and not keeping things out, there is re-bar every few inches on 3 walls and the 4th one is the wall of the garage. It might be easier to somehow enclose the pen to make a coop..I plan to just have a few hens maybe as many as 6...
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 19, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8437591

Melvatoo, have you looked at the thread by ZZ's (my best coop) she has posted pic's of two coops that are very simple and would be perfect for six - eight chicks. I hope you can get the supplies and have the coop you want. I really do like building them, it's just a lot of fun...Hay P.S. ZZ's said she would send the plans to anyone requesting them...
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8437593

I did see that thread...
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8438164

Hay,

Mr.Peppers had become a bit ill tempered over the winter months in his condo i had built for him ,as i have yet to get him any gals to share it with yet either . but i did let him out on every good day there was . his spur's are almost 4 inches long now and i guess i need to trim them and his nails since spring has sprung .

I found your Roo taming technique on the other thread and have started with that here in the last few days . he is doing Much better !

i do agree with you on the price of the coops they are extreme while me and my crew built ours out of stuff we gathered up and salvaged the cost of hardware was not bad at all we did help a few others build theirs and it was fun to do so .

Sarge

Here is Mr. Peepers now (A Blue Splash Cochin)

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8438167

I hope the plans work out for you Melvatoo.. Really, it's not that expensive, and if you have bantams, it's perfect. It took me a while to build the second one cause I didn't have enough $ then either.. since this design is to build the walls first, I built a couple of walls.. then finished it after payday came. :) I used 1x4 trim boards.. Not the ones in the plans..

The biggest thing I love about it is that you can get inside and catch, doctor, or just sit and watch them, even in the rain... :) You can also store meds, feed additives, etc. above the coop part..

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8438171

Here is Milford and Beulah the second day I got them. The roo was getting beat up at the breeder's place.. She gave me the hen, just to keep him company!

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8438172

Milford insisted that was his place on top of the waterer.. Even after I built that lil roost for them! Milford was a total crack up.

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 20, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8438200

Did you build Mr Peepers his porch swing? If not perhaps that is the source of his ill temper...
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8438226

LOL he will get his swing this spring as weather has now got warm and hopefully the new gals too . he will be very pleased this season with his place, by the time we are done.

Sarge

Here is one more of Mr.Peppers doing the happy dance as i was getting ready to feed him .

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8438261

Mr. Peppers is a handsome roo for sure!
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8438309

Thank you ZZ,

he has come a long way from the skinny lil Roo that showed up a year ago. he has filled out very nicely both in body and feathers with the weather turning good now i will be giving him some much needed attention and bathing and trimming them spur's & toe nails (safety first you know).

he so loves being outside too, so the feathers around his feet have to be cleaned up and trimmed & shaped so he can walk proper. the winter months were a bit harsh here .

I am just happy the warm weather is finally here so we can get so many things done that need to be done .

Sarge
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8438475

all I can say about them is they are very sweet and lay a small egg. They are really only good for eye candy unless you want to breed and sell chicks
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 20, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8439764

Howdy Sarge, Mr. Peepers is indeed a very handsome gent. I'm very pleased to hear the method is working for you. I know sometimes it has to be applied a couple two or three times for them to catch on, but the effort is worth it. I hope you have a very successful and happy summer with you feathered friends and family Sarge...Hay
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8440273

I liked my Mille Fleur BBD'uccles, but they never were very friendly. I had a "reverse" trio, two roos and one hen. They were Milli, Vanilli, and Flower...:)
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8440506

great names Cat
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8447860

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MELVA!

Hope you got some chicken scratch for your BD! LOL

Came across this today and thought of you.
http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8447972

Thanks no scratch yet and I ordered some roses! uh oh!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8447994

Happy Happy Melva!!! I raise cochins and Seramas love em both! ...and after my trip to TSC this week , it looks as if Im also going to raise Sultan and Polish banties! and the jury is still out on a couple of them...hoping for D'uccles.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8448001

Hit a snag, chickens are not allowed in Denton! Bummer!
Thanks for the birthday wishes.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8448981

I occurs to me that it may seem I am enouraging Melva to flount The Law. That, of course, would NEVER be the case. And Melva would NEVER consider doing so. Please take this as a simply amusing, ridiculous suggestion...

Melva, you just need to work outside the box:). You're not alone, and people have addressed the issues. Two parts to this. First, the coop...

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/The-Stealth-Coop-p493.aspx

Or,

http://www.ubuilderplans.com/node/59

Then you need to find hens that are les recognizable. And you need to rename them as an exotic species, maybe just use their scientific names, to avoid lying...

There are always Silkies

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Silkies/BRKSilkies.html

Or Polish

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Silkies/BRKSilkies.html

or even Showgirls

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/ShowGirls/BRKShowGirl.html

Or even some that can be kept n the house, like a parrot (or, sizewise, a cockatiel)

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sri/BRKSri.html

Where there's a will...
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8448988

*G*.

I knew you were'nt alone,

http://www.meetup.com/The-Denton-Movement-for-Urban-Chickens-Meetup-Group/
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8449123

I joined the 'meet up group' yesterday. Hopefully the codes will change.
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8449468

How big is Denton?

Codes can be really really really stupid. We used to live where, if you interpreted the zoning codes very conservatively, you had to have 10 acres in order to have a chicken. No, really. But you could have only 5 acres and keep a horse.

Go figure.

Best wishes for getting the zoning changed! There are certainly enough precedents out there that it should be possible.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8449541

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=uspopulation&met=population&idim=county:48121&dl=en&hl=en&q=population+of+denton,+texas
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8449562

Sorry, the link I posted is for the entire County
try this one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denton,_Texas

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8449702

Oh no, Melva. I feared that. It seems when the faming communities around Dallas tired to grow and become more like the big city, they outlawed livestock. Which is goofy considering its always been allowed in DFW.

Best of luck to your movement. I bet you'll get it passed, there is a real back to the land movement. Power to the people, power to the land, power to the chicken!!!

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 26, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8452500

Perhaps the anti-chicken sentiment is a Texas peculiarity. There are a number of "acreage communities" around here that permit horses but not chickens.(!)
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8452758

Good point, Porkpal. Of course, horses meant you had money. No community would turn 'those' people away.lol It seems in the last 50 years, to have chickens in your backyard, put you with the likes of poor and or immigrants.
They were met with such distain, you got to wonder if they are scratching their heads and chuckling at all the cute coops going up in affluent neighborhoods.lol
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 5, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8474180

Cocoa lulu, I just love your attitude, and your humor. P. S. The little gal in the picture of City Chicken link is a friend of ours from Battleground Wa. She has a great website and is well liked...Hay
estrail1rider
Melfa, VA
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8475525

Where is a good place to buy chicks? I want some that are good for eating, good for eggs...no solid white ones (don't laugh!! When I get my chickens, I want "pretty" ones as well!! ) Then there is the matter of Cornish hens that we really like in the freezer! I have read you need a Cornish Rock rooster and a game hen for those???
How about ducks? A breed that is good for eggs, meat...and also not just white??? In your garden? How much will they tear up in there??
Deb
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8477464

my yard ducks go through all the bushes and plants but haven't messed anything up. Hubbie hasn't tilled my wildflower bed yet but we are going to put a short fence around it. They love to root through dirt and to have a huge fresh bed of tilled dirt they would be in hog heaven lol

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America