Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Winter Browning?

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 5, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Shaigirl
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8437509

Last (early) October, I planted three healthy Encore Autumn Empress azaleas. They had about eight weeks to establish their roots before "winter" arrived. However, during the winter I noticed they were all turning brown. I really wasn't sure if they were going to make it. The one out in the open (pictured) is a lot worse than the others that were sheltered between my house and garage. Now that spring is upon us, I'm wondering if the browning was normal? Was it just the cold from the winter? Or should that not have happened? This is my first go at azaleas. Will they green up by themselves? Or should I prune them? I'm really hoping to see pretty blooms this summer/fall.

Thumbnail by Shaigirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2011
12:05 AM

Post #8444349

Hey. I'm practically a neighbor--Christiana. Some browning will happen. I have several Encore azaleas and they do brown to varying degrees in the winter. A branch or two may also die. But mine keep coming back in the spring. One of them put on a very nice show last October.
I love them.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2011 1:06 AM
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8444446

The browns that you have suggest winter damage or some lack of moisture during the winter months. If the stems do not leaf out by April or thereabouts (they should leaf out after the flowers bloom at the latest), prune the dead parts.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8547588

Not sure how hardy Encore is but my Norther Lights series azaleas turn brown and lose all their leaves each winter. Then in early spring leaf out and have gorgeous flowers with a wonderful fragrance. I guess you guys consider azaleas evergreen down there. My rhody has a tough time over winter due to dessication (wind and sun) but if I protect it is is evergreen also. Loaded with buds right now and will be popping around the middle end of June.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8547631

Northern Lights are a deciduous azalea even down here. That's their nature. The Encores are classed as evergreen. But that characteristic depends on what zone they are in. I'd say my Encores are semi-deciduous but only because I'm probably a little too north of their preferred zone.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8549775

Indeed, down here they are evergreen albeit the leaves temporarily turn a nice dark purple in the Fall and start to turn green again near mid Winter.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America