I REALLY NEED HELP?

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Joy's elderly friend is ill and has lost her husband and loves gardening but is very limited as to what she can do ? I have seven new EBs that I can no longer use because of my severe rheumatoid arthritis in both shoulders and must have surgery ASAP. The EBs must be emptied along my fence line. I have a hand truck which makes this job very easy but not for me as my arms are now useless. I need someone for about an hour and a half after which my son whom also has a very bad back can take them to UPS and ship them out. I will only keep three for myself considering I use to work twenty-one.
I know I'm asking a lot but it is for a VERY GOOD REASON.
Ted

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

TPlant--sending you d-mail.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Tplant did you find help?

Thank You All! Joy is flying down to help and meet her friend and will be here next week to do the necessary work. I am also giving her 6-7 EBs for her disabled girlfriend. I originally had 21 but gave Flip about 10. After all is done I will keep three for myself with my auto watering system which will make it carefree except for some spraying to ward off insects and that is it! Melons are very easy to grow and require little care with EBs except to stop watering them to sweeten them up when they are getting ready. I can tell by their size and the color of the stem and I have grown some beauties.
I do hope after my surgeries (both shoulders) I'll get back to normal but the doctor said their is a 50-50 chance that my right shoulder will always be tender and I should not stress it. He was hesitant to perform the surgery because of my current health conditions but now it must be done as I can not live on vicadin for the rest of my life.
I will have in-home care and therapy for awhile and will have to type with left hand only for awhile. I shall see my surgeon this coming Monday and will keep you informed if you so desire?

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Kudos to Joy for helping TPlant and her friend!

TPlant, you know we'll all be pulling for you when you have your surgery. Keep us posted as you are able, as many people will be thinking of you.

Thank You All........

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

Yes! Keep us up on your condition. I don't
post often but I read a lot and you have
helped me so much. We will all be thinking
of you.

Annie

Joy has been sending me d-mails but I told her to place all future threads on this thread as I want the world to know what a wonderful person she really is.We are going to meet with her friend Mack on April 14 meanwhile I am going to try to move one EB so I can plant my melon seeds as I am way behind schedule. The pain in my right shoulder is unbearable at times if I forget myself and use it for something. It wouldn't be so hard for me but my EBs have those "legs" that must be removed first. In order to do so one must lift one end and tap the supports off. I have a plan with my hand truck and a hammer useing only one arm.
MEANWHILE SOME GOOD NEWS! I HAVE BEEN TAKING PLAVIX AND CELEBREX AT THE SAME TIME IN THE AM BUT FOUND OUT THANKS TO WEB MD THAT DOING JUST THAT NEGATES THE CELEBREX SO I TAKE THE CELEBREX AT 3PM AND FEEL MUCH BETTER.

Crestview, FL

TPlant: Don't over do it, you could hurt yourself worse, I will be there on the 14th. Ann will be pretty much on the mend by then and can probably take her plants back, maybe. See, it's like this, I look at Mt Rushmore and say "that's nice looking" others say "let me see if I can climb that" right? Ann isn't supposed to be stooping down, ergo the reason I have her plants. LOL When the doc says it's ok then she can have them back; but we will have to watch her closely as she loves her gardening and doing for herself. What will be nice is that when she gets them back they will be ready for the EBs and 5 gallon ebuckets (hopefully), and I or someone else can transplant them for her. I noticed that earthbox is selling stands on wheels now that you can put your EBs in and they are about waist high, have you seen them?
joy

I've known about them for years but it only works on concrete and my plantings are all on dirt.

Crestview, FL

Oh, I saw a hole in my canna bed last week and it looked about the size of a size 12 foot and about 1/2 ft deep, it was headed under my house at the corner where the fence is for my back yard. So; some varment is after my vittles I suspect, I covered it as it was freshly dug again today, so out I went with a 1 oz jar of ground cayenne red pepper, hope that does the trick. Wonder what it is?
joy

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

joy112854 - we have a critter that camps out under our lean-to. Hubby has put boards up to stop our little dog from getting back in there, 'cause I don't want her to get hurt.

If you have an opportunity to get some paw prints in soft wet clay, you might be able to identify your boarder.

Crestview, FL

We've narrowed it down to either a possum or armadillo. I think the red pepper worked, but time will tell, I'm just hoping it isn't trapped under my house, I live in a double wide mobile home and my insulation and a/c ducts are under there.
joy

Waiting for my surgeon to call me today for a surgery date as I want to get my arm shoulder back again but he did say something which kind of makes me a gambler? There is a 50-50 chance that the pain will be completely relieved but I can live with that as I really don't have a choice. He is still concerned with my heart problems and the surgery but I told him not to worry and just to do his best and what will be will be.
Still have to operate on the left arm as it will continue to get worse and eventually be just as painful as the right. I think I'll change my name from Tplant to
"The Bionic Man." LOL

Crestview, FL

TPlant: I have a friend I call the bionic man as he has had so many knuckles, joints, knees and you name it replaced from a bad construction accident he was in years ago. Unfortunately, with me, that wasn't an option, as I had a bone disease that had I had the surgery I'd of been in more pain then without it, so declined the surgery. My neck was knocked straight, literally, and my back like the leaning tower of Pisa, and a bent caucus to boot. So; when the humidity is bad I can get a real pain in teh neck and live up to my name then right? LOL Ann drove for the first time yesterday, and that was just to see her doctor, as she had a procedure where they pretty much cemented the fracture in her back, I think she said it was T-5 or T-7; and she is having to take supplements to build the calcium back up in her bones. She's being good though and listening to the dr as she doesn't want to give up her gardening permanently, and she has friends and family to do the heavy stuff. I'm good with the OJT stuff, having been in the military so you and Ann can just tell me and I can do it. (grins). Keeping you in my prayers and let me know when the surgery is scheduled for.
joy

They called me a litlle while ago but I missed the call. Will call back after lunch time.

MY SURGERY DATE IS APRIL 27. wISH IT WAS SOONER?

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Aww, TPlant....sorry they couldn't schedule you sooner. I know how anxious you must be to have this over with and on your way to recovery. But, it will be here before you know it, and this will give you a little time to get your EBs taken care of, etc.

Crestview, FL

TPlant: At least you will have time to get your watermelon planted though right? Keeping you in my prayers.
joy

I just don't know Joy but I will try my best. I tried yesterday to line up my EBs for planting.
My shoulder couldn't take the strain. I'm really helpless between my shoulders and my Post Poli Syndrome which increases according to stress. It is a terrible disease. Each day my legs get weaker and weaker. I now have to use two canes to walk my lawn. My melons may be late but it will get done!

Crestview, FL

Oh sweetie, I really feel for you, is there any way you can put it off til I get there on the 14th? It would be easy for me to do it for you? Once planted you could tend to it right? I planted up 10 EBs today with the first 5 EBs being bell peppers, 4 per EB, two with King Arthur, 1 with Rainbow, 1 with chocolate, and 1 with colossial. I then planted up 3 EBs with 2 black beauty eggplants each, and then planted up 1 EB with 2 brandywines and 1 EB with 2 beefmasters. I now have 20 of the 38 5 gallon HEBs full of tomato plants. That is because the rest I started are still too small to transplant. Tomorrow I will plant up 1 EB of okra and 2 of crook neck yellow squash and 3 of cukes. I used 2 cups of dolomite lime for the EBs and 2 cups of 13-13-13 as it is the only fertilizer I had on hand. My crook neck squash seeds did not germinate and I went to Crestview Nurseries to buy some, what a deal I got. 3 crook neck squashes that were huge for .99, I found 2 brandywines, and two goliaths, and 2 beefmasters for .99 for two plants, can't beat that with a stick, so had to have them right? LOL

I do have that 5 ft circular kiddie pool which I measured the inside depth tonight, it's 12" inside and thought, hmmmm, maybe I can fit some tomatoes in that thing also. If I use potting mix and perlite, and put drain holes in it, how many tomatoes could I put in that thing do you think? How much dolomite would I use also? And how much fertilizer?
joy

Hybrids about three or four. Heirlooms only two because of size.

Crestview, FL

Ouch, that thing is 5 ft circular and 12" deep are you sure? That will take some potting mix to fill it I'm sure. I'm thinking about burying a soaker hose in it also; and still can't figure out how much dolomite and fertilizer to use in that thing?
joy

Today a very strange blessing came to me as I was taking my shower which usually hurts like the dickens when I use my right arm but unconciously I washed my back not realizing I was useing my right hand and there was absolutely no pain? I prayed to God the past few nights to help me get my melon garden started as I am behind schedule and today all I have to do is move one EB which I tried and could not do before!! After that I can set the seed and Joy and her friend can do the rest. However, I must wait till 6:00 or 7:00 pm to do so when it is cooler. I even did three loads of wash and was able to fold my clothes? This is very, very strange as the previous pain in my right shoulder was unbearable if I used my arm. I didn't ask God for a cure but just to let me do a few things that no one would help me to do and He seemed to grant my wish. "His Will Be Done and Not Mine...."

Crestview, FL

TPlant: I'm so glad to hear that! He is the very reason I'm able to walk around now, after my accident, I was told I would be quadroplegic and to not expect much; but, persistance did prevail with Him leading the way. Never give up hope, it's all we have.
joy

I'm back to the pain today but that's OK. I recieved a letter yesterday telling me what hospital would do the surgery and I was very displeased as it was to be at Broward General Hospital in Plantation a good distanc from my home. I refused to have it there and am waiting for a call back. We have three top named hospitals here in Pembroke Pines and Hollywood . I have been to all three and was very pleased with there understanding and their courtesy. Memorial Regional is just five miles from my home as the other three are the same distance. Memorial has the best cardiology staff and after two heart attacks I feel better there and besides all my doctors are there.
Waiting for a call back this afternoon.

Crestview, FL

TPlant: Stay out of Broward General sweetie, I've heard nightmares about that place.
joy

No choice Joy. My doctor told me that they now have an entire floor dedicated to orthopedic surgery with specially trained nurses for the work. He assures that it is now the finest surgical assistance and recuperation wing in Florida otherwise he would not go there as it is a large distance from his home.
I HEARD THE SAME RUMORS MANY YEARS AGO BUT THINGS DO CHANGE, I HOPE?

My surgeon told me today at our pre-surgical meeting that my right shoulder will never be the same again and I can expect some pain for the rest of my life with 50% useage and not to lift anything more than a few lbs. We''ll see.

Crestview, FL

TPlant: I hope you listen better than my friend who was not supposed to be driving and out riding her tractor around, when I lectured her, was told she was standing up and driving it, not sitting down, like it makes a difference? (groan). I will be there before noon Thursday, and Sam and I will do what needs to be done you play instructor ok? That is, if I don't get lost and you answer the phone????
joy

Well Joy, after your harrowing flight from Atlanta, engine failure prior to takeoff, and then waiting four hours for a different plane, then hitting violent air pockets over the mountains and finally arriving at my home at 6pm and cleaning out 7 EBs and gone in about an .hour I'd say this was a wild trip for a good cause! You must come back for a social visit on your next trip to Florida. I will still be recuperateing after my next surgery on my left shoulder after the right one heals.
Now gang I will be limited for awhile but I will be planting my melon seeds today. I kept only three EBs for my self for now because you can still get a lot of production from them. I will plant three melons in each one. Two EBs of Crimson Sweet and one for my wonderful grandson(the love of my life) which is the small refrigerator melons. I forgot the name. Gee! From 21 EBs to 4! Darned rheumatoid arthritis____*******###### etc. Please don't forget me guys. I'll still be able to type. My buddy here will be my arms. I taught him a lot since he was able to walk.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Crestview, FL

Ted: Finally got home tonight, the flights were all booked up here. I had to hurry as my plants aren't on a timer or self watering irrigation tubing yet, and it finally rained last night I hear. It's too dark to assess any damage yet; but will know tomorrow am. I'm sorry I rushed too, I would have loved to have stayed and chatted with you and that wonderful grandson of yours you have such a pleasant demeanor and I could have listened to you for hours and just had a great time doing so. When you have mended don't forget to come up here for a visit, Ann is looking forward to meeting you and you will have fun I promise you that! Fishing and just relaxing in the country. I am destined to return this Fall, as Sam is now a proud owner of one of the EBs, I couldn't afford to ship that one, and you will have to give me a heads up when it's time to plant toms, so I can come down and plant them for him and plant anything up for you that you might want also. Then we can just sit around and chat when I'm not in a hurry to get home and water thirsty plants. LOL
joy

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

TPlant...you be sure to keep us posted as you are able. You know a lot of people will be sending positive healing thoughts and prayers to you.

I hope your melons do well. I"m trying watermelon for the first time this year--the variety is "Sugar Baby". I need something small because I don't have much space. Any special advice for growing melon?

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Tplant:

I don't know you, but I'm up here in Palm Beach county if you need anything. shoot me a dmail with your info and I'll reply with mine.

You look like you have your garden in your front yard....that correct? In my neighborhood, the plants would have grown legs and walked away.... :)

But glad you have someone to help you.

Hi So Fl -- Nice to have a neighbor Actually I'm pretty secure here as my son is a Pembroke Pines cop and we are the guardians of Pembroke Pines Elementary school and live on school grounds surrounded by 8' fences. My garden is actually in the back of the house off the driveway. Planted my melons two days ago and must replace some weedcloth today.
I'm in a rush for I will have surgery on my right shoulder net Wednesday so I must finish up ASAP. Had to reduce my EBs from 21 to 3 but I'm happy.
Ted

Only four more days to go for my surgery. I hope it relieves some of the pain in my right shoulder which is the one to be operated on first. Right now the pain becomes stronger each day as I had to stop taking aspirin and more importantly celebrex. The celebrex was a great relief. I also have the same situation with my left shoulder and it is progressively becoming more and more painful but I will recieve injections to relieve the pain until they can operate on that shoulder also. I wouldn't wish this on anyone!

For the past three days I've been fighting off a rash exactly where the surgeon must make the incision. I have been useing cortisone -10 and it is clearing up but I certainly hope my surgery will not be postponed. I have a total of three days to clear it. I will see my Primary tomorrow and hope he can give me an injection to clear it up. It is a lot better than what it was. I developed a rash from a new T-shirt I bought and wore before washing it. I can tell it was the shirt because the course of the rash follows the neckline. Don't know what China is putting on our shirts?

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh, TPlant-- so sorry to hear you're going through a difficult time right now. I'm sure it's a good things to call your primary care physician to make sure everything is ok, and won't delay your surgery.

Continued thoughts and prayers being sent your way.....

Linda

EVERYTHING IS OK! My doctor said to use cortisone 10 and benedril and it will be alright. WHEWWWW!

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Wishing you all the best tomorrow, TPlant. Continued prayers for a successful procedure and a speedy recovery.

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.