Photo by Melody

Self-contained Box Gardens: I REALLY NEED HELP?

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 98, Views: 949
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 20, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8438484

Joy's elderly friend is ill and has lost her husband and loves gardening but is very limited as to what she can do ? I have seven new EBs that I can no longer use because of my severe rheumatoid arthritis in both shoulders and must have surgery ASAP. The EBs must be emptied along my fence line. I have a hand truck which makes this job very easy but not for me as my arms are now useless. I need someone for about an hour and a half after which my son whom also has a very bad back can take them to UPS and ship them out. I will only keep three for myself considering I use to work twenty-one.
I know I'm asking a lot but it is for a VERY GOOD REASON.
Ted
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8446118

TPlant--sending you d-mail.

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8447363

Tplant did you find help?
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 24, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8447773

Thank You All! Joy is flying down to help and meet her friend and will be here next week to do the necessary work. I am also giving her 6-7 EBs for her disabled girlfriend. I originally had 21 but gave Flip about 10. After all is done I will keep three for myself with my auto watering system which will make it carefree except for some spraying to ward off insects and that is it! Melons are very easy to grow and require little care with EBs except to stop watering them to sweeten them up when they are getting ready. I can tell by their size and the color of the stem and I have grown some beauties.
I do hope after my surgeries (both shoulders) I'll get back to normal but the doctor said their is a 50-50 chance that my right shoulder will always be tender and I should not stress it. He was hesitant to perform the surgery because of my current health conditions but now it must be done as I can not live on vicadin for the rest of my life.
I will have in-home care and therapy for awhile and will have to type with left hand only for awhile. I shall see my surgeon this coming Monday and will keep you informed if you so desire?
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8448504

Kudos to Joy for helping TPlant and her friend!

TPlant, you know we'll all be pulling for you when you have your surgery. Keep us posted as you are able, as many people will be thinking of you.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 25, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8448983

Thank You All...
fbded
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8450038

Yes! Keep us up on your condition. I don't
post often but I read a lot and you have
helped me so much. We will all be thinking
of you.

Annie
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 26, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8451304

Joy has been sending me d-mails but I told her to place all future threads on this thread as I want the world to know what a wonderful person she really is.We are going to meet with her friend Mack on April 14 meanwhile I am going to try to move one EB so I can plant my melon seeds as I am way behind schedule. The pain in my right shoulder is unbearable at times if I forget myself and use it for something. It wouldn't be so hard for me but my EBs have those "legs" that must be removed first. In order to do so one must lift one end and tap the supports off. I have a plan with my hand truck and a hammer useing only one arm.
MEANWHILE SOME GOOD NEWS! I HAVE BEEN TAKING PLAVIX AND CELEBREX AT THE SAME TIME IN THE AM BUT FOUND OUT THANKS TO WEB MD THAT DOING JUST THAT NEGATES THE CELEBREX SO I TAKE THE CELEBREX AT 3PM AND FEEL MUCH BETTER.

joy112854
Crestview, FL

March 27, 2011
1:38 AM

Post #8452656

TPlant: Don't over do it, you could hurt yourself worse, I will be there on the 14th. Ann will be pretty much on the mend by then and can probably take her plants back, maybe. See, it's like this, I look at Mt Rushmore and say "that's nice looking" others say "let me see if I can climb that" right? Ann isn't supposed to be stooping down, ergo the reason I have her plants. LOL When the doc says it's ok then she can have them back; but we will have to watch her closely as she loves her gardening and doing for herself. What will be nice is that when she gets them back they will be ready for the EBs and 5 gallon ebuckets (hopefully), and I or someone else can transplant them for her. I noticed that earthbox is selling stands on wheels now that you can put your EBs in and they are about waist high, have you seen them?
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 27, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8453263

I've known about them for years but it only works on concrete and my plantings are all on dirt.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

March 27, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8454490

Oh, I saw a hole in my canna bed last week and it looked about the size of a size 12 foot and about 1/2 ft deep, it was headed under my house at the corner where the fence is for my back yard. So; some varment is after my vittles I suspect, I covered it as it was freshly dug again today, so out I went with a 1 oz jar of ground cayenne red pepper, hope that does the trick. Wonder what it is?
joy

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8455477

joy112854 - we have a critter that camps out under our lean-to. Hubby has put boards up to stop our little dog from getting back in there, 'cause I don't want her to get hurt.

If you have an opportunity to get some paw prints in soft wet clay, you might be able to identify your boarder.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

March 29, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8457804

We've narrowed it down to either a possum or armadillo. I think the red pepper worked, but time will tell, I'm just hoping it isn't trapped under my house, I live in a double wide mobile home and my insulation and a/c ducts are under there.
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 29, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8457983

Waiting for my surgeon to call me today for a surgery date as I want to get my arm shoulder back again but he did say something which kind of makes me a gambler? There is a 50-50 chance that the pain will be completely relieved but I can live with that as I really don't have a choice. He is still concerned with my heart problems and the surgery but I told him not to worry and just to do his best and what will be will be.
Still have to operate on the left arm as it will continue to get worse and eventually be just as painful as the right. I think I'll change my name from Tplant to
"The Bionic Man." LOL
joy112854
Crestview, FL

March 29, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8458620

TPlant: I have a friend I call the bionic man as he has had so many knuckles, joints, knees and you name it replaced from a bad construction accident he was in years ago. Unfortunately, with me, that wasn't an option, as I had a bone disease that had I had the surgery I'd of been in more pain then without it, so declined the surgery. My neck was knocked straight, literally, and my back like the leaning tower of Pisa, and a bent caucus to boot. So; when the humidity is bad I can get a real pain in teh neck and live up to my name then right? LOL Ann drove for the first time yesterday, and that was just to see her doctor, as she had a procedure where they pretty much cemented the fracture in her back, I think she said it was T-5 or T-7; and she is having to take supplements to build the calcium back up in her bones. She's being good though and listening to the dr as she doesn't want to give up her gardening permanently, and she has friends and family to do the heavy stuff. I'm good with the OJT stuff, having been in the military so you and Ann can just tell me and I can do it. (grins). Keeping you in my prayers and let me know when the surgery is scheduled for.
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 30, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8460413

They called me a litlle while ago but I missed the call. Will call back after lunch time.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 30, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8460658

MY SURGERY DATE IS APRIL 27. wISH IT WAS SOONER?
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8461182

Aww, TPlant...sorry they couldn't schedule you sooner. I know how anxious you must be to have this over with and on your way to recovery. But, it will be here before you know it, and this will give you a little time to get your EBs taken care of, etc.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

March 30, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8461578

TPlant: At least you will have time to get your watermelon planted though right? Keeping you in my prayers.
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 2, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8466893

I just don't know Joy but I will try my best. I tried yesterday to line up my EBs for planting.
My shoulder couldn't take the strain. I'm really helpless between my shoulders and my Post Poli Syndrome which increases according to stress. It is a terrible disease. Each day my legs get weaker and weaker. I now have to use two canes to walk my lawn. My melons may be late but it will get done!
joy112854
Crestview, FL

April 2, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8468056

Oh sweetie, I really feel for you, is there any way you can put it off til I get there on the 14th? It would be easy for me to do it for you? Once planted you could tend to it right? I planted up 10 EBs today with the first 5 EBs being bell peppers, 4 per EB, two with King Arthur, 1 with Rainbow, 1 with chocolate, and 1 with colossial. I then planted up 3 EBs with 2 black beauty eggplants each, and then planted up 1 EB with 2 brandywines and 1 EB with 2 beefmasters. I now have 20 of the 38 5 gallon HEBs full of tomato plants. That is because the rest I started are still too small to transplant. Tomorrow I will plant up 1 EB of okra and 2 of crook neck yellow squash and 3 of cukes. I used 2 cups of dolomite lime for the EBs and 2 cups of 13-13-13 as it is the only fertilizer I had on hand. My crook neck squash seeds did not germinate and I went to Crestview Nurseries to buy some, what a deal I got. 3 crook neck squashes that were huge for .99, I found 2 brandywines, and two goliaths, and 2 beefmasters for .99 for two plants, can't beat that with a stick, so had to have them right? LOL

I do have that 5 ft circular kiddie pool which I measured the inside depth tonight, it's 12" inside and thought, hmmmm, maybe I can fit some tomatoes in that thing also. If I use potting mix and perlite, and put drain holes in it, how many tomatoes could I put in that thing do you think? How much dolomite would I use also? And how much fertilizer?
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 3, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8469011

Hybrids about three or four. Heirlooms only two because of size.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

April 3, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8469914

Ouch, that thing is 5 ft circular and 12" deep are you sure? That will take some potting mix to fill it I'm sure. I'm thinking about burying a soaker hose in it also; and still can't figure out how much dolomite and fertilizer to use in that thing?
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 4, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8471262

Today a very strange blessing came to me as I was taking my shower which usually hurts like the dickens when I use my right arm but unconciously I washed my back not realizing I was useing my right hand and there was absolutely no pain? I prayed to God the past few nights to help me get my melon garden started as I am behind schedule and today all I have to do is move one EB which I tried and could not do before!! After that I can set the seed and Joy and her friend can do the rest. However, I must wait till 6:00 or 7:00 pm to do so when it is cooler. I even did three loads of wash and was able to fold my clothes? This is very, very strange as the previous pain in my right shoulder was unbearable if I used my arm. I didn't ask God for a cure but just to let me do a few things that no one would help me to do and He seemed to grant my wish. "His Will Be Done and Not Mine..."
joy112854
Crestview, FL

April 4, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8471852

TPlant: I'm so glad to hear that! He is the very reason I'm able to walk around now, after my accident, I was told I would be quadroplegic and to not expect much; but, persistance did prevail with Him leading the way. Never give up hope, it's all we have.
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 5, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8473461

I'm back to the pain today but that's OK. I recieved a letter yesterday telling me what hospital would do the surgery and I was very displeased as it was to be at Broward General Hospital in Plantation a good distanc from my home. I refused to have it there and am waiting for a call back. We have three top named hospitals here in Pembroke Pines and Hollywood . I have been to all three and was very pleased with there understanding and their courtesy. Memorial Regional is just five miles from my home as the other three are the same distance. Memorial has the best cardiology staff and after two heart attacks I feel better there and besides all my doctors are there.
Waiting for a call back this afternoon.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

April 7, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8479135

TPlant: Stay out of Broward General sweetie, I've heard nightmares about that place.
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 8, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8480677

No choice Joy. My doctor told me that they now have an entire floor dedicated to orthopedic surgery with specially trained nurses for the work. He assures that it is now the finest surgical assistance and recuperation wing in Florida otherwise he would not go there as it is a large distance from his home.
I HEARD THE SAME RUMORS MANY YEARS AGO BUT THINGS DO CHANGE, I HOPE?
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 12, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8490912

My surgeon told me today at our pre-surgical meeting that my right shoulder will never be the same again and I can expect some pain for the rest of my life with 50% useage and not to lift anything more than a few lbs. We''ll see.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

April 12, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8491166

TPlant: I hope you listen better than my friend who was not supposed to be driving and out riding her tractor around, when I lectured her, was told she was standing up and driving it, not sitting down, like it makes a difference? (groan). I will be there before noon Thursday, and Sam and I will do what needs to be done you play instructor ok? That is, if I don't get lost and you answer the phone????
joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 15, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8497667

Well Joy, after your harrowing flight from Atlanta, engine failure prior to takeoff, and then waiting four hours for a different plane, then hitting violent air pockets over the mountains and finally arriving at my home at 6pm and cleaning out 7 EBs and gone in about an .hour I'd say this was a wild trip for a good cause! You must come back for a social visit on your next trip to Florida. I will still be recuperateing after my next surgery on my left shoulder after the right one heals.
Now gang I will be limited for awhile but I will be planting my melon seeds today. I kept only three EBs for my self for now because you can still get a lot of production from them. I will plant three melons in each one. Two EBs of Crimson Sweet and one for my wonderful grandson(the love of my life) which is the small refrigerator melons. I forgot the name. Gee! From 21 EBs to 4! Darned rheumatoid arthritis____*******###### etc. Please don't forget me guys. I'll still be able to type. My buddy here will be my arms. I taught him a lot since he was able to walk.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joy112854
Crestview, FL

April 16, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8500818

Ted: Finally got home tonight, the flights were all booked up here. I had to hurry as my plants aren't on a timer or self watering irrigation tubing yet, and it finally rained last night I hear. It's too dark to assess any damage yet; but will know tomorrow am. I'm sorry I rushed too, I would have loved to have stayed and chatted with you and that wonderful grandson of yours you have such a pleasant demeanor and I could have listened to you for hours and just had a great time doing so. When you have mended don't forget to come up here for a visit, Ann is looking forward to meeting you and you will have fun I promise you that! Fishing and just relaxing in the country. I am destined to return this Fall, as Sam is now a proud owner of one of the EBs, I couldn't afford to ship that one, and you will have to give me a heads up when it's time to plant toms, so I can come down and plant them for him and plant anything up for you that you might want also. Then we can just sit around and chat when I'm not in a hurry to get home and water thirsty plants. LOL
joy
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2011
4:19 AM

Post #8501233

TPlant...you be sure to keep us posted as you are able. You know a lot of people will be sending positive healing thoughts and prayers to you.

I hope your melons do well. I"m trying watermelon for the first time this year--the variety is "Sugar Baby". I need something small because I don't have much space. Any special advice for growing melon?
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8507898

Tplant:

I don't know you, but I'm up here in Palm Beach county if you need anything. shoot me a dmail with your info and I'll reply with mine.

You look like you have your garden in your front yard...that correct? In my neighborhood, the plants would have grown legs and walked away... :)

But glad you have someone to help you.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8511216

Hi So Fl -- Nice to have a neighbor Actually I'm pretty secure here as my son is a Pembroke Pines cop and we are the guardians of Pembroke Pines Elementary school and live on school grounds surrounded by 8' fences. My garden is actually in the back of the house off the driveway. Planted my melons two days ago and must replace some weedcloth today.
I'm in a rush for I will have surgery on my right shoulder net Wednesday so I must finish up ASAP. Had to reduce my EBs from 21 to 3 but I'm happy.
Ted
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8515382

Only four more days to go for my surgery. I hope it relieves some of the pain in my right shoulder which is the one to be operated on first. Right now the pain becomes stronger each day as I had to stop taking aspirin and more importantly celebrex. The celebrex was a great relief. I also have the same situation with my left shoulder and it is progressively becoming more and more painful but I will recieve injections to relieve the pain until they can operate on that shoulder also. I wouldn't wish this on anyone!
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8517608

For the past three days I've been fighting off a rash exactly where the surgeon must make the incision. I have been useing cortisone -10 and it is clearing up but I certainly hope my surgery will not be postponed. I have a total of three days to clear it. I will see my Primary tomorrow and hope he can give me an injection to clear it up. It is a lot better than what it was. I developed a rash from a new T-shirt I bought and wore before washing it. I can tell it was the shirt because the course of the rash follows the neckline. Don't know what China is putting on our shirts?
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8517989

Oh, TPlant-- so sorry to hear you're going through a difficult time right now. I'm sure it's a good things to call your primary care physician to make sure everything is ok, and won't delay your surgery.

Continued thoughts and prayers being sent your way...

Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 25, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8519764

EVERYTHING IS OK! My doctor said to use cortisone 10 and benedril and it will be alright. WHEWWWW!
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8522944

Wishing you all the best tomorrow, TPlant. Continued prayers for a successful procedure and a speedy recovery.

Linda
joy112854
Crestview, FL

April 27, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8524175

Anyone hear how TPlants surgery went? I believe it was scheduled for today wasn't it?
joy
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8527364

Thinking of you TPlant, and hoping all is well.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 1, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8532273

CAN NOT TYPE VERY WELL. LOTS OF PAIN. REPLACED ENTIRE RIGHT SHOULDER. 8HRS OF SURGERY . CAME HOME FRIDAY. WORSE THAN WE EXPECTED. MUST REST NOW EVEN OXYCONTIN STILL LEAVES ME IN PAIN THANKS ALL!
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 1, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8532325

Yo! Watch that oxycontin, buddy - very easy to get addicted. thank HEAVENS I'm allergic to it, so not worries.

prayers for a speedy recovery.

holler if you need something.
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8532384

Thanks for checking in TPlant--we've been thinking of you. Just rest and follow the docs orders. You'll be fine with your meds if you just take them as directed. Managing the pain is an important part of recovery, and will help you through the first difficult steps when you finally get to start rehabbing that shoulder.

Continued thoughts and prayers going your way for a good recovery.

Linda
joy112854
Crestview, FL

May 1, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8533131

TPlant: Thanks for checking in, was beginning to worry about you, like south FL Commercial said, watch that oxycontin, as soon as possible get switched to Norco, it's not as addictive and doesn't make your head woozy either, my dr tried me on the oxycontin and it made me really sick, after everything I've heard, I'm glad it did.
joy
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 1, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8533591

TPlant, be careful with that Oxycontin. My DH took it for two days because of a broken rib from a fall and it shut his whole system down. You are in my prayers for your pain and return of energy. Sharon.
SoFlaCommercial
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 2, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8533867

TPlant - forgot to mention - follow your doctor's instructions regarding your shoulder and its mobility TO THE LETTER! The shoulder is from what I've heard the longest healing area. Very easy to flub it up by trying to overdo something.

god bless.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 3, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8537182

I UNDER STAND. THANK YOU.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

May 4, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8539992

Hi Tplant ...
Just found this and am thinking about you and hoping you're doing a bit better by now. You're in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
~Susan
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8541649

Arm and shoulder feeling much stronger today ! Who said "prayers don't work ?" and I'm typing with both hands...
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8542160

YAY!!!! What great news, TPlant!

We'll be keeping prayers going your way!
joy112854
Crestview, FL

May 6, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8544938

TPlant: I'm so glad to hear that, so when do they do the other shoulder? I will be glad when both have been done and healed because then you can come up here and see what real living is all about. LOL
Joy
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8547800

Great news! My therapist was amazed at my fantastic recovery of arm motion. It far exceeded the range that I'm supposed to be in and lack of pain, to some extent, made it more exciteing. I must go out there and cull my watermelons but heat and mosquitoes are also my nemeisis. From what I can see from my rear door all melon seedlings are thriving. I was able to adjust the irrigation system from 10 minutes every four days to 10 minutes every two days This was easy for me as the timer is just below my back steps which really need a cleaning. Some type of a creeping vine weed is dangerously crossing my back steps. I need that Ortho weed and and brush killer.
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8548542

TPlant--YAY!!!! I'm so happy you are dong so well! Even this message is so-well written and typed, I can tell you are feeling better.

I'm glad your watermelon are thiving...as you continue to progress with your shoulder, they will benefit from your TLC as well.

Can someone help you clear you back steps?

Take good care of yourself, and keep us posted on your progress as you are able.

Linda

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8549290

Paw,
Keep yourself still, and spend your indoor time posting all your hard-learned knowledge for us newbies! Start a "Question and Answer thread" in the Beginner Vegetable Gardeners forum, and work it daily for awhile. Typing is far safer for you than tripping on your stairs or somewheres else outside.

Of course, you KNOW which shoulder you'd fall on first if you trip, right?

'Nuff said?"

Happy you're not in so much unbearable pain, and happy you've taken the first step to correct the problem!

Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 9, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8549953

Just now I am in absolutely NO PAIN! The nurse was here this morning and all was well. My therapist will be here after 4pm today and I am certain he will see great improvement. I did cull my watermelon yesterday so the garden is now self sustaining for a good while. I will spray my Ortho Insect spray when they get a little larger and stronger.
However , I did get dizzy when I bent over and stayed in that position for a short time. Good thing my son was there to balance me.

Linda -- I did not know of a beginners thread?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8550020

Beginner Vegetables Discussion Forum

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/b_veggies/all/
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

May 10, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8552345

Wow ... so glad to read this excellent report. Prayers still coming for continued healing.
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8562934

Sending healing thoughts your way, TPlant. So sorry to hear that therapy is so painful, but it really is crucial to your recovery. Hope you can manage your pain to get you through this difficult time.

Know that we're all thinking of you, and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Take care,
Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8564221

BAD WEATHER TODAY AND YESTERDAY. LOTS OF PAIN THIS WEEKEND AS YOU CAN TELL BY MY BONE FINGER TYPING. PAIN MED STARTING TO TAKE AFFECT SO WILL REST TODAY.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

May 16, 2011
3:17 AM

Post #8566033

TPlant: Remember to get the rest you need and don't push it!
joy
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8567903

Hope you are doing well, TPlant. Please take care of yourself...we'll be keeping you in our thoughts.

Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8574378

AM DOING WELL BUT THERAPY IS A LITTLE PAINFUL. I STILL HAVE AT LEAST TWO MORE MONTHS TO GO BEFORE I WILL HAVE FULL USE OF MY SHOULDER AND THEN IT WILL BE TIME TO REPLACE THE OTHER SHOULDER.
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8574434

TPlant--I know therapy is really difficult and painful, but it's so necessary. Just take your pain meds to help you through the painful times, so you can do everything the therapist wants you to.

I'm glad to see you posting--before you know it, you'll be feeling better.

Take care,
Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 22, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8579593

LINDA - I'M TYPING WITH ONE HAND AND THAT IS MY LEFT HAND AND THAT SHOULDER IS TO BE REPLACED NEXT. IT WILL BE A LONG TIME TILL I CAN BE NORMAL AGAIN. MEANWHILE I'LL JUST TAG ALONG.
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8606078

Hi, TPlant--just checking in to see how you're doing. Haven't seen you post in a while, but hope you're able to at least keep up with us by reading.

Take care of yourself,
Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 5, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8610320

LINDA- I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING AND READING MOST EVERYTHING.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8610647

Paw,
Isn't it fascinating reading? Especially over on the newbies thread. I go over there periodically, and always get a chance to pass on the advice I got from you!

I'll never forget you for takIng me by the hand when I was an Ubernewbie, Paw! And, I want to take this opportunity to say "thank you," for sharing so much of yourself with me, and others.

Last week I looking for something or other, and there you were on a thread from 2002! Dispensing more gardening wisdom to a total neophyte!

It is because of you, and so many others, that I'm now spending $$$ to grow tomatoes in eBuckets and EBs, and loving it! Thanks, again (I think).

Seriously, Paw, thanks for being an important part of my life here at Dave's.

Gymgirl
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8611069

Well said, Gymgirl. I have to admit that it was TPlant and BocaBob, and their enthusiasm for EBs that got me hooked. I had 2 EBs for years, but never did much with them until this forum came along. I"m now up to 13 EBs (hmm...that's an unlucky number...I probably need one more to change that LOL) and loving it.

I've learned a lot from TPlant and others, and will continue to try to improve on what I do every year. I admire Joy's enthusiasm and experiments; I love your ingenuity, Linda.

It is fun to go back and read older threads...I'm amazed at some of the things I've run across. Some helpful, some uplifting, and some just plain funny.

TPlant, keep reading while you're recuperating, and know you're in our thoughts.

Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8623947

THANK YOU! I AM DEEPLY TOUCHED AND HOPE TO CONTINUE FOR A LONG TIME. MY THERAPIST SAID THAT I AM DOING SO WELL THAT I WILL NEED ONLY SIX MORE WEEKS OF THERAPY INSTEAD OF TWELVE AND THEN I WILL HAVE SURGERY TO REPLACE MY LEFT SHOULDER. AT LEAST I'LL HAVE FULL USE OR 80% USE OF MY ARM WHICH IS OK BY ME.
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8624274

Way to go, TPlant! Sounds like you're being a very cooperative patient, and working hard with your physical therapist. Keep up the good work, and keep us up to date with your progress as you're able.

Linda
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8640707

TPlant--just checking in to see how you are doing?

Hope your therapy is continuing well, and your melons in your EBs are thriving.

We're in the midst of another strange growing season, and some of my EBs are struggling. I think using a new brand of coir (all I could get) is the problem--don't know if the salt content might be too high, and didn't think to rinse it first. If that wasn't enough, something (most likely a chipmunk) actually ate my watermelon plant. How unfair is that?

Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8642344

I'm able to type with two haNDS TODAY but with some difficulty. My melons are shot. No melons this year unless a miracle happens.
Meanwhile I go to therapy twice a week and it is painful for me as the therapy is for my right shoulder but my left shoulder also needs the same surgery and it hurts a lot during the excercise. My right shoulder is doing very well. I have a 3pm appointment today with my surgeon so I will know more. Let you all know how I'm doing.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8653837

Well, I no longer have to wear my sling except on occasion when my arm gets tired and starts to ache especially after therapy. I would like o go out but the heat is dangeroud to my bronchitis and of course my heart. So many people are telling me how to enjoy myself but they do not know of all my health issues. To many to mention. By the way -- tomorrow I will be 74 years old. Every birthday amazes me that I am living so long as NO MALE IN MY FAMILY LIVED PAST 54.
This is the time of year that I become a hermit because of the 90 degree plus heat. I am comfortable in my home but I wish my family would allow me to have a Shih-Tzu for company and then my life would be complete. My "Scooter" died over two years ago and I still feel her presence and do so wish she were with me sitting on my lap and looking at me with those adorable, lovable eyes.
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8654603

Happy Birthday, TPlant!!!! Wishing you a wonderful day, and all the best throughout the year!

I'm so happy to hear your shoulder is doing so well. Sounds like you've been doing really well with your therapy. I'm sorry that the weather is keeping you in, but you need to do what is best for your health.

I'm sad for you that you still miss your Scooter--it's always hard to lose a treasured companion. I hope you'll be able to get a new dog when the time is right.

Take care of yourself, TPlant, and best wishes for your birthday.

Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8655668

THANK YOU LINDA! HURTING SOME TODAY IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE AS MY GRANDSON IS AWAY FOR THE WEEKEND AND IT IS NO FUN WITHOUT HIM WISHING ME A HAPPY BIRTHDAY. hIS MOTHER TOOK HIM TO SEE HIS GRANDMOTHER INSTEAD OF WISHING ME A HAPPY BIRTHDAY. IT HRTS BUT SO DOES MY ARM . THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REMEMBERING ME. I AM NOW 74 AND PLENTY OF ILLNESS PROBLEMS SO REALISTICALLY i DON'T EXPECT TO MANY MORE. aRM HURTS --- MUST REST NOW.
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8659030

Happy belated birthday, Tplant! Hope you're doing better today!
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8708980

TPlant...just checking in to say hello and see how you're doing? Hope your shoulder is beginning to feel better, and that your rehab is going well.

Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8710977

Everything is excellent. Completed rehab two weeks ago but will always have some pain in my right shoulder but it is more annoying than painful but guess what? Today we just ordered a Pedigree pure German Shepard puppy. I finally got my dog! Can't believe it but I think my family relented because of all the pain that I've gone through these past five years. I know she is the best of breed because she is from Texas and will arrive in about ten days. Happy Days are back...

Thumbnail by Tplant

mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8711016

TPlant--I am so happy for you!!! The puppy is adorable, and German Shepard Dogs are so smart (at least all of them I've know have been). While it won't be a little lap dog for too long, I'm sure it will be a loyal companion for you.

Excellent news on your shoulder as well. You must have been a very good patient, and did a good job with your physical therapy. You must be happy to be done with rehab, but make sure you keep that shoulder mobile...

So glad to hear things are looking up for you. Have you decided on a name for the puppy, or are you waiting until you bring her home and get acquainted with her?

Linda

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 7:03 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8711136

I think you should call her EB!
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 24, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8712546

Never thought of EB? To late now as we all agreed on the Greek goddess "xena" Prou-'
nounced zena. My son will train her as he did an excellent job with our dobie. He learned from tips and watching his fellow K-9 police dog handlers. It still hurts for me to type but getting much better.
I have three EBs and will be planting my seeds inside under the gro-lite on or about August 15. Happy Days. I never lost my faith in God and let His will be done and not mine and look what happens? No such things as mini-miracles? LOL
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8712880

TPlant--Xena is a beautiful name. I think it will fit a proud, beautiful and intelligent dog such as a GSD very well. How fortunate you have someone experienced with training dogs--I think training is so important (and so often overlooked). You will have a wonderful compantion, TPlant.

Lots of things looking up for you, with a new growing season getting ready to start. I'm so happy for you.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8713788

Yay for Xena!
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8714019

Isn't it just wonderful? I can't say enough for my prayers. My family was definetly against any dog but a true miracle happened. For two years there was friction? in this home as I always had a dog and now more than ever in my entire life I needed one but a German Shepard ???? Beyond my wildest dreams. My legs are failing because of my post polio syndrome and she, Xena, can fetch for me and also be used as a guide dog for support. I'm sorry for stealing this thread but all my friends are here. I placed her in Pet forum but no hits? A picture of the gang at the Miami zoo. I was the photographer. It is getting much better...

Thumbnail by Tplant

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 25, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8715303

Ted, All this wonderful news. Your shoulder getting so much better. You doing so well with rehab. And a new dog. That's so exciting. I know how much you missed the one you lost and how hard it has been for you without her. And German shepards are wonderful dogs in my experience. Very smart and loyal.

I'm so glad to hear all you wonderful news.

hugs, katie
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8716202

I can not be happier except when next month I set my tomato seeds...
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8716588

I can't wait for pictures! Now you'll have a new gardening buddy, btw please tell me that's not your grandson in that picture? If so, I can't believe how much he's grown...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8717237

Uh, set your tomato seeds where? And, just WHO is carrying those EBs, mister? Not you -- nuh, uh.

You are seriously bucking for a tomato timeout...and, if I hear that you so much as lifted more than ONE seed at a time, I'm coming down there on an express train!

Have I made myself clear?

Now, you go have yourself a great evening.

Hugs...
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 28, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8720890

I love you Gymgirl but my son will do the labor. All I have to do is plant the tomatos. By the way people, I have posted her (puppy of course LOL) on the Pet forum with her picture so please join the rest of the gang and we will have some fun OK???
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8747406

TPlant--how is Xena doing? Hope you are enjoying your new addition to the family!
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8749068

Hi . Please check out the Pet forum for her pictures.-- Xena is doing just fine as you will see. Thank you for asking. shouders hurt today. Difficult to type. Rainy weather does not help pain.
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 24, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8774256

Hi TP - long time, no chat. I just went through the thread and am glad to hear things are going better for you. I can't believe how big you grandson is now! Sounds like your going plant a few seeds - have you done so yet?
I'm only gonna use eb's this year; no hole digging through the coral rock this year for me. My youngest son (the former hole digger) is now at Parris Island USMC boot camp and will become a Marine in about 7weeks. I seeded about 30 varieties a few days ago and am waiting for them to pop. Talk to you soon,
Flip
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8774740

Hi Flip,
Planted my seeds three days ago but for only e EBs which means six plants. My son is a former marine avionic technician. He served 6yrs on a carrier but decided to leave because there was not any room to move up the ladder at that time. Peace time and the corp wanted to cut back.He got out in 90.
Very difficult for me to handle more than the three Ebs because of my health problems and I sure do have my share of them. I was wondering what happened to you and for a moment thought you went the way of Bocabob.That was a very sad day when his store closed and he was laid off and tough to find a job at 55 plus his business was destroyed by someone in our co-op. You can not depend on friends for business.
Have you heard from Kim? Joy quit but came back so we can look for a season of fun. I'm looking forward to my juicy tomatos and will be filling my EBs with my old reliable Jungle Growth and dolomitic lime and 10-10-10. I'm growing Earl Faux, Church, Delicious, Sprite, German Johnson PL and can't remember others?
Ted
PS - We now have a pure bred Eureopean German Shepard puppy and she is 11 weeks old at this time. She will help me to fetch and other things for me.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2011 1:28 PM
aries44
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 25, 2011
4:05 AM

Post #8775700

Ted, I hadn't heard about Boca Bob. He was a nice guy; hope he's ok. And no, it's been a while since I've seen Kim post (she's been gone from here even longer than me.) She was also very nice. Remember the tomato fest we had together at my house? That was a good day. So, let's stay up to date this season. I'll probably post on the Tomato forum and check in here often. Have a good day!
Flip
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8776071

That would be greart...
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8779966

Tplant I found this thread with the search feature because you were awol lol. Glad you are getting some help.Ernie

Thumbnail by eweed

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8783268

Hi Ya Ernie...Yes I have had some disability problems and had to cut back. I'll be working only three EBs but I'm still at it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
EB von219 3 Aug 8, 2008 4:01 AM
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 23 Jun 24, 2014 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America