Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Begonias: Drag. Wng Beg. Fell Upside Down

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 7, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8438836

I am letting some cool spring breeze into the home today. The curtain knocked over my dragon wing begonia and plopped my plant upside down. It broke off 16" lengths-right up to the edge of the pot.
I have cut them with "bud nodes" and put them in tepid water for now.
Please advise me:
1. Should I let them "root" in water?
2. Should I "root" them in Pro-Mix seed starting soil?
3. Some other medium? If so, where can I purchase your recommendation?
4. Under a baggy?

I don't know what to do, and I have actually been putting off pruning this begonia due to lack of know how. So, now, I have to do something with it. I have really enjoyed this plant, and it has done quite well (slow, but well) in front of a big north window. The leaf shape is triangular and have two quite long ends and one short end. The leaves are quite red underneath and the flowers are reddish coral. If anyone knows the name of this plant, please tell me.
I will try to put a picture below.

Thumbnail by birder17
Click the image for an enlarged view.

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8438838

A few more pics
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8438841

Left over leaves I cut off.

Thumbnail by birder17

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8438844

Cuttings in a Jar

Thumbnail by birder17

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8438874

This is what is left of the sad plant.
I am a real newbie with begonias even though I like them very much.

Thumbnail by birder17

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8439081

First of all - that begonia is not a dragon wing. Perhaps it is Torch or something similar.

Second of all - not sure what your plan is on the cut leaves. If you are thinking of starting this cane by leaf cutting then you would be wasting your time. Just throw the cut off leaves in the compost heap. For each cane cutting you would want to trim off all the bottom leaves and keep the top 2 or 3 in place. If the leaves are quite long you can even trim those in half.

You can water root the canes but take care that the water does not "sour". You should check it daily and if it looks murky or smells then dump the water, clean the cup, and put fresh water in. An easier way is to put a baggie over the cuttings (change the water before you do to get rid of any germs) so you don't have to continue changing water.

Another way is to put the canes in a cup with perlite or potting mix (make sure it has drainage holes), water, then push the canes in past the first node or two (this is where the rooting takes place). Do not keep the soil sopping wet though but don't let it dry out completely either.

Last suggestion is to take the very long woody stems and cut the green stems off (use the green stems as suggested above). Get a tray and cut the woody stems to the same length (or less) of the tray. Put holes in the bottom of the tray, fill with perlite or potting mix, lay the stems horizontally on top of the mix, and water in. Each node should produce a new cane. You may want to lay some plastic wrap or lid on top until the new canes start pushing the plastic cover off.

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8439268

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Very good instructions. A neat idea with the woody stem.
Now, I am curious as to what Begonia I have. Could you direct me to a location where I can Identify this Begonia? I bought it at the end of the season and it didn't have an ID tag.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
3:01 AM

Post #8439863

http://begonias.org/ is the ABS web site. Go to the Virtual Greenhouse and look at the canes section.

another good one is http://absastro.tripod.com/ Go to Cultivar Pictures, alphabetical listing.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America