Photo by Melody

Article: Forsythia and False Forsythia: A look at the authentic forsythia and its imitator: Forsythia

Communities > Forums > Article: Forsythia and False Forsythia: A look at the authentic forsythia and its imitator
bookmark
Forum: Article: Forsythia and False Forsythia: A look at the authentic forsythia and its imitatorReplies: 4, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
elaine322
Spokane, WA

March 21, 2011
2:39 AM

Post #8439855

I have no idea what variety Forsythia we have, but it's one of the most invasive plants I've ever had to fight! Sadly, we didn't realize it until it was very well established. I cut it back constantly during the growing season, in part to keep the size in check but also because everywhere a branch touches the ground it roots-usually several places along it-and then there's more plant to fight with. Considering that it was planted in a spot with easily room for a 6-foot-wide plant and I cannot begin to keep it from invading surrounding plants, I really hate the thing. First, has anyone else had this experience with any type of Forsythia and, second, is there ANY way to just get rid of the plant? I've tried digging it out to absolutely no avail; the roots are too deep and wide-spread.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

March 21, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8440058

I am almost embarrassed to write this because it speaks loudly of someone who lets Mother Nature have far too much head room. I planted a forsythia at the corner of the house about 20 plus years ago. I have loved the enthusiastic growth, but was more than surprised, amazed, and chagrined at finding that it had rooted into the GUTTER!!! Well, it was easy enough to remove that segment and to rehome it somewhere else away from the roof!!!!
silnik
Manchester, NH

March 21, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8440381

I have several forsythias in a row, keep them as a hedge but I do not know what kind they are. I trim them twice a year and mow around them. No problems with it taking over. The trimming helps I think, because the plant is busy trying to grow back instead of producing new shoots. I get very few of those and only inside of the plant where I do now mow, of course.
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

March 21, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8440810

Forsythia is extremely popular in England; usually x intermedia varieties such as Beatrix Farrand and Lynwood. Cut back hard immediately after flowering I've never had any problems with it. I'd love to grow some here; but I don't think it's hardy enough.
Rochap83
Defuniak Springs, FL

April 2, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8467592

Well, I'm glad I signed up to this website. I love Forsythia and we have
one bush that blooms so pretty (not invasive), but it is still young. I'm just sorry it doesn't stay around more than a couple of weeks or so. We live in the Florida Panhandle and are finding plants that did so well in Georgia aren't exactly doing as well here. But we are learning. My husband is taking Master Gardner classes so we are hoping he learns about a lot of plants that do well in FL.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Forsythia and False Forsythia: A look at the authentic forsythia and its imitator Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
winter forcing kathy65468 8 Mar 30, 2010 12:53 AM
Forsythia ZELLA 0 Feb 22, 2010 8:41 PM
Forsythia LakesideGarden 1 Apr 5, 2011 11:12 PM
White forsythia ValerieCranmer 0 Mar 21, 2011 5:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America