Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Botany Quiz: What are you doing if you are 'air-layering' a plant?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 275 votes:

Helping roots to form on an above-ground stem.
(250 votes, 90%)
Red dot

Pruning to a more pleasing shape.
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Training it to grow on a trellis.
(5 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Preventing fungus or mold from forming.
(7 votes, 2%)
Red dot

None of the above.
(11 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Closest I've seen to unanimity on these polls so far!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

We're all SO smart!

Hamilton, Bermuda

We would be if the question was more difficult R & B. Answer was pretty obvious , even for an amature gardener ! Lets see how we get on with a more challenging one. Regards and Happy Gardening.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Finally, something I actually know.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

LOL! That is what I thought too!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I figured most everyone would get this one, but this is the time of year that we have a huge influx of gardener newbies and I felt we needed some 'back to basics' questions to go along with the more advanced ones.

We've now got a few answers in the other columns too.

If anyone has a suggestion for a good Voting Booth question...D-mail me. I'll be more than happy to work up your ideas!

Bristow, VA

too easy !

Belle Center, OH(Zone 5a)

It works great on fruit trees if you want a standard sized tree on it's own roots.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Excellent idea NikB!

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

I got it right...but only because of programs I have seen on TV. I have never used this technique and would not have reason to be familiar with it, and I'm not a newbie!

I put stuff in the ground and it either grows...or it don't...LOL ...

Belle Center, OH(Zone 5a)

I used it alot when I lived on Guam t start starapples and boonielimes (wild citrus from the jungle). When I got home here a friends grandmother had died and he wanted a start from the crabapple tree in front of her house. So I did the layer for him. 4 months later they had the auction, so he cut it off the parent tree and stuck in the ground. The layer had taken and now it's a 10-12 foot tall tree with lots of flowers in the spring and good wine crabs in the early fall.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

What a nice keepsake!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I wasn't air layering, but I took a bunch of begonia and pelargonium cuttings on Sunday.
Martha

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

This works well with Azaleas & Philodendrons

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I like the polls better than the quizzes, they seem to generate more chatter, and I check back on the forum more often. Just my opinion.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Yeah, Melody, this one was too easy. Can you go ahead and put another one in here and not wait for next week? If not, it's okay. (((((Melody)))))

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I don't have the ability to change the Voting booth mid-week...and I've also found that I can't correct any mis-spellings or typos once the question goes live. (I've got to stare at my faux pas all week)

It will change at noon on Mondays. This week's question isn't hard...but it isn't a botany question either.
I'll add some more difficult questions to the line up though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.