Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dennyav
Lynnwood, WA

March 21, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8440956

My new Tuberous rooted seedlings grew roots from the bottom of the pellet and green from the top of the clay like pellet. When I touch them or bottom watered the trays, they fall over. By this time all of the clayish pellet has disappeared, but the seedling is being held up by the roots...

My questions is: do you think i could push down/replant/rehole the seedling, possibly bury the cotyledons and not rot/kill the seedling?
trc65
Galesburg, IL

March 21, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8441053

As long as they have some root extending into the media, they should be fine. Small seedlings like begonia and petunia will do that and lay flat against the soil. I would keep some type of lid on your container to help retain some of the moisture so you don't have to water them as much. Keep the lid vented however, you don't want to get them too wet, just prevent so much evaporation from occurring. I would not try to repot/cover them, it is too easy to damage and kill them when they are so small. Wait until they have a couple of leaves before you repot them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America