Photo by Melody

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Lemon curd - ever freeze it?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 16, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8443035

I make lemon curd sometimes. I tried a recipe for canning it once. Before it was canned, it tasted great, but afterwards? Not good. It killed the flavor. But what about freezing it? I made a batch about a week or so ago and froze most of it. I have taken some out to test it, and it seems fine. Is it going to get all rubbery in the freezer? Will it take a few months before it does? I have it in the regular freezer right now instead of the deep freeze.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8443686

I'm watching with interest. My only problem with lemon curd is I can't stop eating it when I make a batch. Perhaps freezing some, would slow me down.
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8443823

I have that problem with lemon curd too. I can eat a whole jar without even blinking.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

March 23, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8445142

Well I have never even heard of Lemon Curd so how bout enlightening an old fellow and maybe a recipe ..

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8445165

If you've never eaten lemon curd, think of a lemon meringue pie filling, only smoother and more refined... sorta, LOL.

Here's Alton Brown's recipe:
Lemon Curd
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 pint

5 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
4 lemons, zested and juiced
1 stick butter, cut into pats and chilled

Add enough water to a medium saucepan to come about 1-inch up the side. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, combine egg yolks and sugar in a medium size metal bowl and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute.

Measure citrus juice and if needed, add enough cold water to reach 1/3 cup. Add juice and zest to egg mixture and whisk smooth. Once water reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and place bowl on top of saucepan. (Bowl should be large enough to fit on top of saucepan without touching the water.) Whisk until thickened, approximately 8 minutes, or until mixture is light yellow and coats the back of a spoon.

Remove promptly from heat and stir in butter a piece at a time, allowing each addition to melt before adding the next. Remove to a clean container and cover by laying a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Episode#: EA1A03
Copyright 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved
And here's one from Joy of Cooking:
Lemon Curd Recipe:

3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature

Note: Room temperature lemons provide more juice. After squeezing, strain the juice to remove any pulp. Zest is the yellow, sweet-flavored outer rind of the lemon. A zester or fine grater can be used to remove the rind. Cold lemons are much easier to grate. Grate lemons just before using as the zest will lose moisture if it sits too long.

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8445226

Avert your eyes! Don't do it, Grits! You'll never get the lemon curd monkey off your back. Slathering on toast, muffins or meringue cookies, combining it with fresh toasted coconut or blue berries...just makes matters worse. Soon you'll find yourself eating it straight out of the jar with spoon ;0)
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8445856

It's true. I make the excuse that if I want to make some innocent pickle that requires a couple lemons and an orange that I have to buy a whole bag of organic lemons and blood oranges are 4/5.00, so I have to get four. All the time knowing perfectly well I will be making a double batch of lemon/blood orange curd with the "extras."

This is the face of lemon curd addiction. And did you know that there are other curds out there? I have collected an entire file of fruit curds, because you know if this freezing thing works, I will be making blackberry curd and apricot curd and...
grits74571
Talihina, OK

March 24, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8446812

Thank Y'all for the recipes but after looking it over and due to the fact that DW is diabetic and loves anything lemon i will not be making it unless I can figure a way to change it without ruining it .
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8446850

I have high blood sugar too. The one good thing about lemon curd is that unlike a jam, it is full of fat. Fat slows down the metabolism of sugar. Even the low-carb diets allow, for instance, a tablespoon of jam if mixed with something fatty (I like to mix with a serving of ricotta or cottage cheese). A tablespoon of lemon curd would go a long long way because it is very flavorful.

Just sayin'.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8446956

Even with our own grass-fed butter and free range eggs, I have trouble thinking of curd as having health benefits. Like Paraclelsus it's got to be taken in moderation. Which, I'm already 'busted' as having a problem with :0)

I'm already groaning thinking of apricot curd...I'm doomed!

How is that made, Paracelsus? With pulp, or apricot juice?
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8447318

Here's the recipe I found for apricot curd, but I was thinking that since the lemon curd depends a lot for its intense flavoring on the peel, then maybe using dried fruits in some of these other curd recipes would work. This one gives you a choice. I haven't tried it yet. I wonder if using dried apricots and soaking them in apricot juice instead of water would help intensify the flavor:

Apricot Curd Recipe

Ingredients:

1 lbs (675 g) fresh apricots or 1 lb (450 g) dried
Juice of 2 lemons
4 free-range eggs
1 lb (450 g) sugar
4 oz (112 g) unsalted butter

Method:
Wash fresh apricots in hot water. Soak dried apricots for 24 hours in water. Cook the apricots in a pan with just enough water to prevent them burning. When soft, push through a strainer into a medium-sized mixing bowl, pressing down on the fruit with a wooden spoon. Throw away the skins left in the strainer.
Put another heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and melt the butter. Beat the eggs lightly and stir into the bowl with the sugar, apricot puree and the juice of the lemons. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently, for 25 to 30 minutes or until it thickens. Remove the bowl from the heat and pour the curd into clean, dry, warm, sterilized jars. Seal and cover. Label with date and contents when fully cooled. Keep in a cool, dry place or refrigerate.

Easily makes 2 lb (900 g) of Apricot Curd.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8447330

I think my laziness will protect me here. Altho I do get those spurts of "I gotta cook something from scratch", usually it hits me at midnight so I mess up a lot of pans and dishes and by the time Im finished, Im too tired to clean up the mess at 2 AM. Like I said, my laziness should protect me. That sounds really yummy and Ive never had it before. I am saving the recipe but I'll probably never get around to really making it...probably but I do have some lemons on hand...back later. Things to do.chuckle
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8447895

It's pretty easy to make, especial from lemon juice. You've been warned, Cam! lol

I'm going to try that apricot, Thanks P!
I'm surprised to see that much sugar in the apricot version. I would think it would need less sugar then a lemon based...may need experimenting

...and cutting the recipe in half. 2 pounds! Sheesh, are they trying to kill me!
We need to find out quick, if it can be frozen :0)
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2011
1:22 AM

Post #8450758

I've frozen apricot curd and lemon curd. Both will easily last three months, if not longer.

There's only one USDA-approved and tested recipe for a canned lemon curd (It's considered risky due to the eggs and butter) but it calls for bottled lemon juice, which I think is a travesty.

Linda Amendt's Blue Ribbon Preserves includes several pressure canned curds. The recipes are excellent, but in an email she acknowledged no testing had been done to verify whether the final product was safely shelf stable. She now refrigerates or freezes her recipes.

Carol
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8451015

Thanks, Carol. I have the Blue Ribbon book but I didn't even realize there were lemon curd recipes in there, and I haven't done pressure canning. Still haven't made up my mind if I want to go there.:)
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8451282

Thanks, Carolyn. So good to know about freezing, will feel better making it now, knowing it doesn't have to be eaten all in one day.lol

I might* try canning as well. Half pint would be the perfect size. Which makes me wonder about something else. I assume the bottled juice is used because of the constant acidity.
But If I want to try the fresh juice option..Is there any benifit, in terms of safety to using the squat flat, half pint jars? Do they help with dense ingredients that heat has trouble getting to the center of?
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8454320

I'm sure the bottled lemon juice is due to consistent acidity. However, I have no idea if the shape of the jar makes a difference or not. I know there are ways to calculate headspace which varies depending upon the opening (as opposed to standard inch or partial inch instructions) but with no testing I don't know whether heat penetration is better, worse or the same.

For myself, when Amendt told me her recipes weren't tested and she no longer canned curds, that took care of the issue for me. The other thing is I want to retain as much of the original quality as possible as curds tend to be time-consuming (at least the way I make them) and expensive. I can't imagine pressure canning without a risk of breaking down the curd or experiencing some of the unfavorable changes in flavor that can come with the application of heat.

So even if safety weren't a concern, I'd nix the idea of canning (for myself personally anyway).

Carol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America