Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

African Violets and Gesneriads: Small flowers all of the sudden

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 17, Views: 138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 22, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8443196

My violets bloom all the time, normal flowers. Lately, some have had smaller flowers, some are very small...Does anyone have ideas about why this has just started to happen. I fert. the same, same lighting, etc
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

March 23, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8445188

Sorry, I've never experienced that before, but I haven't been growing too many years. Hopefully one of the other's with wisdom/experience will let us know.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8445227

Hey Sally,

Just a thought here...What fertilizer are you using? If it is a bloom buster fertilizer putting the middle number higher than the other two, that may be part of the problem if it is used on a regular basis. Just a thought :)

Connie
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 23, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8445619

I need to look but it is the one I have used for years from a violet and plant nursery in the hill country of Texas. Boerne, TX. It has worked so well. I guess I can repot. I wonder about changing the lights, lowering them? I just think it is odd, all of the sudden. I have had my IGS shelving for years. Have not changed the lights.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2011 3:04 PM

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 23, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8445634

Forgot to add this pic instead. New shelves for the plants on the floor above,ha.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8445659

I just love the way you have that set up, Sally. Wouldn't be a bad idea to repot if they haven't been for 6 months or so. I just wondered about the fertilizer and thinking maybe it's taking energy from the plant if it is a bloom buster. You said they bloom all of the time and I would be tired too LOL!!

Connie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8445716

Sally,
Normally lights don't keep at full strength for more than 6 months or so,so it could be a factor if you haven't changed bulbs for a long time.If you do,make sure to change them gradually.

Lynn
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 23, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8446180

Ha Connie, could be tired! I may have to look into changin the bulbs. I repotted them in January, but some not since Nov.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8446227

Sallysblooms wrote:I need to look but it is the one I have used for years from a violet and plant nursery in the hill country of Texas. Boerne, TX. It has worked so well. I guess I can repot. I wonder about changing the lights, lowering them? I just think it is odd, all of the sudden. I have had my IGS shelving for years. Have not changed the lights.

I know the fertilizer that Sally is talking about from Boerne. That fertilizer is all that Ken uses on all of his violets, all year round. I'm not too sure that is what is causing the smaller blooms.

Sally - how long has it been since you checked the ph levels of the water you're using? If "they" changed something in the water system, that could affect ph . . .
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8446313

How long ago did you move to your new home? Could be the water, but my money is on the lights. All my lights got old too--before I moved. I noticed a definite decrease in plant growth and blooming. It was more than the expected seasonal changes. Discarded all my lights when I moved, almost nothing is blooming now.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 23, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8446342

We moved to our new home a year and a half ago. This is really a recent thing. Good idea though. I think they like the water. We use the water we drink, from our Berkey filter. Could be the lights slowling down.

We have the lights going for seven hours, maybe I need to lenghthen that. We have to leave sometimes and this keeps them from getting too dry.
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8446720

Sometimes, if they are exposed to air, it helps to wipe down the light tubes to remove dirt and dust, therefore increasing light reaching the plants. I think that hint came from Rob-->Violet Barn.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8447525

Sally,
They really need more hours of light.Maybe when you are at home you could give them a little extra.

Lynn
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 25, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8449536

yes, we will do that. odd to start after so long. but we will do that.

thanks I will wipe the lights also
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8449964

Look closely and see if you see thrips...they will cause smaller blooms...they are easier to see on the darker color blooms. You can gently blow on the bloom and you will see them move if you have them. Hope you don't though.

tish
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 25, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8450425

Thanks I will look. I haven't seen any so far.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 26, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8452018

I see no buggies, I am repotting today and tomorrow. I HOPE I finish tomorrow... We will increase the lights and we (as in my hubby) moved the shelves to the wall beside the windows. They used to have windows and I think they were warm there, even though the house is very cool. We can dust the lights also. We shall see. I can order all new lights for my IGS shelves if needed later. Thanks.
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8452230

Thats great its not thrips...they are a real nusiance to get rid of. Hope something else works to get your blooms back.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America