Small flowers all of the sudden

South, TX

My violets bloom all the time, normal flowers. Lately, some have had smaller flowers, some are very small....Does anyone have ideas about why this has just started to happen. I fert. the same, same lighting, etc

Montgomery, AL

Sorry, I've never experienced that before, but I haven't been growing too many years. Hopefully one of the other's with wisdom/experience will let us know.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey Sally,

Just a thought here...What fertilizer are you using? If it is a bloom buster fertilizer putting the middle number higher than the other two, that may be part of the problem if it is used on a regular basis. Just a thought :)

Connie

South, TX

I need to look but it is the one I have used for years from a violet and plant nursery in the hill country of Texas. Boerne, TX. It has worked so well. I guess I can repot. I wonder about changing the lights, lowering them? I just think it is odd, all of the sudden. I have had my IGS shelving for years. Have not changed the lights.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2011 3:04 PM

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
South, TX

Forgot to add this pic instead. New shelves for the plants on the floor above,ha.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I just love the way you have that set up, Sally. Wouldn't be a bad idea to repot if they haven't been for 6 months or so. I just wondered about the fertilizer and thinking maybe it's taking energy from the plant if it is a bloom buster. You said they bloom all of the time and I would be tired too LOL!!

Connie

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Sally,
Normally lights don't keep at full strength for more than 6 months or so,so it could be a factor if you haven't changed bulbs for a long time.If you do,make sure to change them gradually.

Lynn

South, TX

Ha Connie, could be tired! I may have to look into changin the bulbs. I repotted them in January, but some not since Nov.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Quote from Sallysblooms :
I need to look but it is the one I have used for years from a violet and plant nursery in the hill country of Texas. Boerne, TX. It has worked so well. I guess I can repot. I wonder about changing the lights, lowering them? I just think it is odd, all of the sudden. I have had my IGS shelving for years. Have not changed the lights.

I know the fertilizer that Sally is talking about from Boerne. That fertilizer is all that Ken uses on all of his violets, all year round. I'm not too sure that is what is causing the smaller blooms.

Sally - how long has it been since you checked the ph levels of the water you're using? If "they" changed something in the water system, that could affect ph . . .

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

How long ago did you move to your new home? Could be the water, but my money is on the lights. All my lights got old too--before I moved. I noticed a definite decrease in plant growth and blooming. It was more than the expected seasonal changes. Discarded all my lights when I moved, almost nothing is blooming now.

South, TX

We moved to our new home a year and a half ago. This is really a recent thing. Good idea though. I think they like the water. We use the water we drink, from our Berkey filter. Could be the lights slowling down.

We have the lights going for seven hours, maybe I need to lenghthen that. We have to leave sometimes and this keeps them from getting too dry.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Sometimes, if they are exposed to air, it helps to wipe down the light tubes to remove dirt and dust, therefore increasing light reaching the plants. I think that hint came from Rob-->Violet Barn.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Sally,
They really need more hours of light.Maybe when you are at home you could give them a little extra.

Lynn

South, TX

yes, we will do that. odd to start after so long. but we will do that.

thanks I will wipe the lights also

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Look closely and see if you see thrips...they will cause smaller blooms...they are easier to see on the darker color blooms. You can gently blow on the bloom and you will see them move if you have them. Hope you don't though.

tish

South, TX

Thanks I will look. I haven't seen any so far.

South, TX

I see no buggies, I am repotting today and tomorrow. I HOPE I finish tomorrow.... We will increase the lights and we (as in my hubby) moved the shelves to the wall beside the windows. They used to have windows and I think they were warm there, even though the house is very cool. We can dust the lights also. We shall see. I can order all new lights for my IGS shelves if needed later. Thanks.

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thats great its not thrips...they are a real nusiance to get rid of. Hope something else works to get your blooms back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.