Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Dealing with teeny, tiny seeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 8, Views: 183
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
good2beaok
Washington, DC

March 23, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8445160

Some of my seeds are as tiny as dust mites. Its very difficult - no impossible - to portion them out or scatter them over an area. Is there anything I can mix with them so they are visible enough to see that they are evenly dispersed thoughout the media. If I use peat the seeds won't be visible. I was thinking of fine granulated sugar. Would this be OK for the soil, do you think?
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8445349

I don't think sugar will be good.
I advise you to mix the seeds with find sand, that way it's easier to spread them.
Another way to spread them over the container is to let them drop far above the container (that's the way I do it always).
It's impossible to see the seeds if they're so small, but that's no problem if you sow them like I stated above, they'll be spread all over the area.
Probabely you already know, but if not: all very tiny seeds need light to germinate, so don't cover them.

Jonna
trc65
Galesburg, IL

March 23, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8445947

I second Jonna's suggestion on using sand. You can get fine silica sand from hardware stores (used for sand blasting) for a reasonable price. There are many different sizes of blasting sand, so check with the people at stores to get the size you want. Another way is too put the seeds onto a piece of white paper folded in half and sprinkle from the fold of the paper. You won't be able to see them on the soil, but you will be able to see them fall from the paper.
good2beaok
Washington, DC

March 24, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8447338

trc65, thanks but I tried the white paper trick and it didn't work. Either the seeds wouldn't come out or they came out in clumps and landed in one spot. I really don't want to drag home a huge bag of silica sand so I can plant a few seeds. Guess I'll just have to forego plants that come from tiny seeds.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8447440

Don't know how it is in the USA, but here in Europe the very fine sand is used in small birdcages, so you can buy small bags in an animal shop.
Or you can try my second suggestion. If you scatter the seeds high above the container, shaking you fingers a bit, they'll be spread. To see if it works, you can put a white paper around the container to catch the seeds that didn't reach the container and scatter them again.
Or you can devide the small seeds in 4 parts and scatter the seeds (who are inbetween your thumb and a finger) in 4 different parts of the container.
Don't give up. It's just a bit practising. I sow a lot of tiny seeds every year and have no problems with spreading the seeds anymore.

Jonna

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8459646

Maybe scoop up a tiny amount of seed with the end of a soda straw.

Drop them onto a clean, dry white saucer.
Shake it back and forth gently to spread them out on the saucer.

Then pick up a managable number at a time between thumb and forefinger.

Pinch, move fingers over pot, hold breath, and rub invisible fairy dust onto the soil.

(I talk as if this works for me, but I just had some lobelia sprout in cells. I accidently sowed them so thickly, that they look like moss!)

Corey

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 29, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8459705

I have sowed Delosperma cooperi (Iceplant) seeds which are like dust. I used a clear plastic container filled about 1/4th " deep with moist fine cut peat moss. I then mixed the seeds into the peatmoss. The seeds sprouted in a week. I then transfered the mass of seeds/peatmoss and spread the mix on top of a seed tray filled with potting soil.

Below are the seedlings of D. cooperi. They are about 2 to 3 weeks old

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8479140

I use a toothpick. I just dip it in water and then the seeds cling. I can get the tiniest seeds sewn 2-3 per pot.
Ossian, IN
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8535430

It worked for me to use a skewer dipped in water. It is very easy and I've had good results. Don't give up! Some of the prettiest things come from hard work!
Happy Gardening!
Ella

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America