Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: Question about type of soil used in transplanting.

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 4, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anndev
Kensington, CT

March 23, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8445199

I am close to having to up-pot my tomato plants from thier individual cells I started them in (used Jiffy Seed Starting mix), to bigger 3" pots.

I purchased a bag of Miracle Grow Garden Soil yesterday but after bringing it home, I noticed that it said to not use this product to container garden. I am using it to grow my seedlings in containers for now, but eventually, these plants will be either up-potted to 5" pots or they will be moved to my outdoor garden.

Should I buy a different bag? If so, can I have some recommendations?
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8445277

anndev, If I have to pot up I alway use Miracle Grow Moisture Control, it also goes into all my hanging baskets and containers. I lost count of how many bags of this stuff I go through a season, at the end of my growing season I use the spent soil in my flower beds or vegatable garden or any place I want to improve the texture of my soil, I have clay.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8445396

I would definitely go get a bag of something that's meant for containers--garden soil doesn't drain well enough in containers so it's important to use a container mix. I use Miracle Gro container mix without the moisture control. I don't know if it's that much better than other brands, but it's readily available and not too expensive and it's always worked fine for me.
anndev
Kensington, CT

March 23, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8445449

sounds great! Thanks for your help!
trc65
Galesburg, IL

March 23, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8445936

I use the same material that I use for starting seeds. Buy a compressed bale of peat moss, screen it with a 1/4 inch hardware cloth and add perlite. I use this for starting and potting up about 1500 plants each year. The packaged mixes are way too expensive if you have more than a couple of hundred of seedlings you are growing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America