Photo by Melody

Antiques and Collectibles: Is this a miner's...... ???

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 57, Views: 348
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8445407

This has an oblong brass container at the top and a screw on cap. I found a miner's lamp and tried to make it "fit" on whatever this is...but I think the lamp goes on a hat. They were in the same box.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8445412

Also can't figure this one out. It's brass, has a "stirrer" of some sort sticking out of the opening in the lid. the top of the lid has an engraving of a ship with "Mayflower" printed under the ship. Next photo will show wand.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8445421

The wand with something on the end of it that is heavy and feels like a rock of some kind. I also noticed that the container has a place on the handle to hang it up. I don't know where else to look for this. I wouldn't think it would be for cooking, 'cause it's brass. Looks too nice to be used in the garage for workshop. Stumped...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8445470

And just one more...I found these ice tongs, but the one in foreground looks more like log tongs that I saw online. They are lighter weight too... I remember in the 70s, some people used these to hang paper towels.
Thanks for any help identifying. I'm working my way thru boxes for the garage sale Sat., but stopping every few minutes to figure something out, or play with a toy, and even read the newspapers that some stuff is packed in from 1973-74. Very slow going!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8447911

Okay...I think I found one of 'em! The first photo is a gold miner's sticking tommy candle holder. The miner could hook it onto his hat, or across a beam. The spike was for driving into a rock crevice or a timber. Couldn't find one with the screw on brass end, but maybe that was for matches?

Still can't figure out the brass container. Going to look some more tonight.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8448352

I keep looking for something that the brass container could be. The stone looks unstained and no very worn. Could it be made of heat treated limestone and is used to make dried corn more digestible? and maybe container is to soak corn in for the next meal?
Heat treated limestone is like a slake or pickling lime. It sure is a "different looking" tool!

Edited to add that the slaking process is called nixtamalizing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization
http://www.ciaprochef.com/CFA/mexico/video/nixtamalization.html

This message was edited Mar 25, 2011 12:35 PM
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8448550

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it. The stone seems to be half gone off the rod and is kind of pocked. It very well could be limestone. I'm not familiar with pickling, or heat treated limestone...but it gives me a place to start. I'm going to clean a spot on it tomorrow and see if it may be copper instead of brass. It reminds me of Mexican souvenirs...that type metal. I tried to take a pic of the stamp on top, but my camera just made it fuzzy.
I really appreciate your help.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8448569

That's fascinating. I learned something I didn't know, for sure.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8448604

I barely remember overheard ~something~ about it...pretty tenuous, but I had also remembered from school that nutritional deficiencies caused by ignorance in how to prepare the foods caused pellagra & break-bone-disease, and that 'clicked' with something I heard some elderly relatives talking about: limestone "nixes" for dried corn and how they never had a broken bone at their camp because of them. They had cooked the limestone in Missouri and made the nixes before they went out west. It all sounded kind of like a 1880's guy version of a girls hope chest that they were going through and talking about. This was back in '60 and the men were in their 80's or 90's and spent the winters in the south at their nieces house (my G'ma) in Arkansas. On this trip they had brought all of their belongings as the were GTT! - going to Texas to live. You have brought back a sweet memory of the last time that I saw "the Bachelor Swedes" of my family :-)
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8448883

I've been up for over an hour and a half reading thru Google posts about nixtamalization. I have to admit, I've never heard of it before and we've spend nearly our entire married life in south or central Texas. I have a gardening friend who's Mexican and I'm going to ask her about this process (altho...she probably gets her tortillas where I get mine...at the grocery store). I bet she knows about it from her mother and grandmother. I'm absolutely fascinated...

I always learn something from reading these threads. Everyone seems to be so helpful in identifying things. It seems to go beyond that, however...more a sense of camaraderie. And I love your recollection of your uncles.

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8449432

June...here's the mark on top of the container. I polished it just a bit and it's brass.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8449447

And it looks like half of the stone/rock is missing or used up. There's a stop at the top of where the rock is now to keep it from going any further up the wand. You can see that half of the bottom appears to be gone. Will have to be a mystery for a bit longer!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8449474

I could only ID the second one on the front row. The prices are all over the place, and there's so many different kinds. The middle one in the back row looks like it was an extra (probably in another box somewhere!) iron base. The edges are saw-toothed.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8449517

This is a very interesting discussion. Sandi, I found this but haven't had time to search and explore further. Check it out:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/atq/2276770891.html

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8449530

Meant to comment about the great collection of old flat irons. I have one that was my grandmother's.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8449639

Well, I'll be... How'd you ever find that? It's not even in your state! I can't wait to tell DH. Thanks so much. I think I'm gonna "possess it" for a while.

Did you read what June wrote about the nixes? I found that so interesting. 'Lived in Texas all this time and wasn't aware of the process.

The irons were in a wooden box buried in the garage. I had also taken some to the lake that I used to keep the doors open. I don't know what I did with those, but I had to move them. Everyone goes barefooted and soon or later we would bang a toe on an iron.

Last night I went thru penny post cards. I wound up reading most of the messages, so it was after midnight before I ever got to sleep. I kept telling DH I was missing some. He'd shake his head and ask how I could know that with boxes of 'em. I knew there was a box that only had the correspondence between "Mona" and her boyfriend/then husband, who then went off to war. Found that box this morning, but I'll keep it for a rainy day to read thru again. I have to get rid of the paper stuff. I have it all in clear boxes, but I still worry that the paper will eventually attract bugs.

BTW, is it warm enough there yet to send your "care pkg?"

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8449833

LOL. I don't know. I guess I've just piddled around with antiques for a long time and sometimes I don't know how I find things. It just comes to me. Oowoooooooo (mysterious and rather spooky music playing) ... :-)

Yes, I read the thread and about the nixes and it is all most interesting.

I love items like this and threads like this. It's like a good mystery. Fun!

Well, it has been very warm here for a couple of weeks but now cooler. We even had a little sleet today. But it's 45 on the ground. I think the pkg would be okay but might wait until next week. Don't worry about it. I know you are busy. I can't believe all the stuff you have!! It's like an endless treasure trove. I wish I was there to go through it with you. Tee hee.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8449843

How neat! It is a fire starter! The elderly GGUncles had disks of the cooked sandstone, so I had just 'guessed' that they could also have been made to sit on a rod. That firestarter is such a cool invention!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8450004

When I got no response to the pic yesterday, I re-read my post, thinking maybe I wasn't clear enough. When I saw "Mayflower," I wondered if people figured I assumed I might have a piece that came over on THE Mayflower... and I cringed...

I'm hoping I won't "have" so much stuff after tomorrow morning's neighborhood garage sale. We have marked it to "move!!!" I have some large oval framed photos in the attic of what looks like well dressed bankers (?). I'm going to put them out with a sign...Your Instant Ancestors!...

I've already kept the things that mean something to me, and more. One of my aunt's friends told me not to think of the things collected as "my aunt's." She said she loved to go to estate and garage sales and didn't pay much for most of the things that were stored...meaning she didn't have an emotional attachment to the stuff, so I shouldn't either. I'm trying to remember that...

June, I would have never had the opportunity to read about nixes if you hadn't at least guessed at the container! And I hope you write down the story of the uncles for your family.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8450476

I wish that I could be at your sale! I will pester him again, but I have relatives that were older and remember so much more than I do and they are writing different memories of things that we have asked them about. One was supposed to be writing about this...
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8450618

'Even if you could get an oral history over the phone or into a recorder. I have a whole folder of photos of old German gentlemen on horseback...no names, but I know they're kin because my aunt told me. She just didn't get around to IDing them. I have started writing who's who on the back of all the old photos I have, including our own.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8450647

My family uses Facebook and email for everything - even emails end up as status updates if they pertain to the family..LOL! We were 'commanded' to get on FB at one of the family reunions and we are (almost) all pretty good about checking in daily or weekly. It simplified so many things to use FB.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2011
9:05 PM

Post #8450651

You and my DH may have some common ancestors. We inherited a box of mystery pictures too 20 years ago. Still don't know who they are. Was your family from central Texas?

Your first picture reminded me of something I saw in a medical museum once. It was a hypodermic needle. Or is that what you said was the fire starter?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8450921

The idea of flatirons for doorstops make my toes ache but my Mom used them for bookends on her cookbook shelves.

I always enjoy reading thru these threads. I learn so much. And wish I were free to travel... I would be at the famous Aunties' garage sale today. Hoping it goes well.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8450999

So would I ... most definitely!!! :-)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8451014

Hmmm... we could have chartered a bus and picked up DGrs from TN to TX. "The BigBubblesGarageSaleTour" would have made a great GSRU garage sale round up! But we'd have needed a van lines truck to bring it all home! LOL

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8451027

LOL. Good idea, pod. Who says RUs have to be stationary? You're right about the moving van though. Sort of like when we all go junking. :-)
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8451456

Junking? I'm wondering what that is. We lived in Germany when DH was in the army and junking there meant you went through things the locals left on the street for the city to pick up. The Germans didn't appreciate the "junkers", but you sure could get some fascinating stuff that way.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8451463

Silver, yes, that's part of it ... along with dumpster diving, thrifting (thrift stores), yard sales, flea markets, and so forth. :-)
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8451465

Cville, did you live in Germany too?

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8451503

No. Was there but only for a short time.

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8451611

It was a great garage sale and I'm ready for a nap!!!! I just may get my car into the garage this summer...

Can you get a bus here by this next weekend? 'Google'... Round Top Spring Antique Fair. It officially begins the 30th of March, but the dealers start setting up in farmers' fields Monday and the savvy shoppers and decorators hit on Tuesday. We went to the fall show and walk, walk, walked. It was fun to see the big tents of expensive stuff, but I really liked the "yard junk" more. My house is a disaster zone right now, but I'd love to have you.

I'll have to come back later and tell you about the sale. We had to close the garage door and come inside at 2:00. People wouldn't let us put things away. The sale was officially only from 8 to 12. We could still be out there. We are beat!!
I'll have a good story to tell after I take a nap too.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8452022

Would you believe a storm is brewing and it's about to rain? We were shoving large items we left out on the courtyard into the garage a bit ago. I'd say we were pretty lucky.

What I wanted to share was...A guy had some questions about an old school desk at the garage sale. DH called me over to talk to him, and then walked off to help someone else.

The guy wanted to know how I came to have the school desk. 'Where it came from. How old it was. Why was I selling it? I answered all, and then he had more. And the young woman with him was writing stuff down. Anyone who knows me knows I have a rather sarcastic sense of humor, and I was wanting to move on. Did I mention that he kept taking photos of this little desk? Then he asked for a ladder to take a photo from above. We had people all over the driveway while this is going on. So I asked why. DH hadn't told me the guy had already given him a card and told him he was from the newspaper doing an feature article on garage sales. Luckily, I didn't say something "smarty."

He asked if I'd write down what the desk eventually sold for, if I accepted less, and who and why the person was buying it. And he asked for our phone number so he could call later.

He was thumbing thru some penny post cards as he talked and commented on the dates of some. I told him about a whole shoe box of post cards I had of Miss Mona Haney's, starting in about 1909 between girl friends, progressing to boyfriends, and to husband who eventually went off to war. I said I even had her wedding announcement, and I found it sad that her family chose to sell her memories in a garage sale (where my aunt happened on them). He asked if I could find them and let him go thru 'em. He had already named his next story...A Life in a Shoe Box...

And then the guy left... A couple and two small boys drove up. She fell in love with the desk because she remembered her grammie had one. He bought it for her because he said..his "wife was pregnant and he had to!" And then I asked the wife if she would mind if I gave her name to the news guy. She gave me her name and number...and that is that...whew...can't make this stuff up!

I hope LouC wanders in here and reads this because she really wanted me to find Mona's family and see if they wanted her things. I think she'd be pleased. I believe this is a most fitting tribute to Miss Mona Haney.

edited to complain my time stamp is an hour off!

This message was edited Mar 26, 2011 6:02 PM
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8452047

How Neat! Now Miss Mona's story will be shared with large audience and maybe even some family.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8452118

"Junking? I'm wondering what that is." that is when my husband brings stuff home. Mine are treasures not junk! Junque is junk with a little class.

BigBubbles... we could have been your best customers and you probably could have also put us to work. Oh well... I wouldn't have room for it when we got home. Kept saying we needed to put a roof over 5 acres.

I am glad it was successful and hope you managed to sell a few of the larger items to make more room in the garage. No doubt the cleared area will be incentive to do more. In years past, we would carry a load of goods from the 2nd hand store to sell at the flea market. I always hated to bring any of it back to the store. Never managed to totally sell out.

I love the reporter story. He came to the right garage sale when he visited yours. I am glad too that Ms Monas' story will be shared with many. I suspect that was the box you wanted to read thru first? Glad the day went well...
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8452337

I asked DH...who kept the "bank" for us..how much he thought we made. He said he "wasn't sure." I think he's afraid if he tells me, I'll just go buy something... I don't care...I'm just glad to get it out of the garage and not feel like we gave it away.

We did have some stuff to take back in. It looked like we hadn't gotten rid of much until I realized that we hadn't really put it back, just shoved tables back into the garage. The best thing was getting rid of large furniture items. The surprise was the1900 post cards...for $1. or $2. Lots of people went thru those and bought lots of them. I didn't even put out the holiday ones. I guess they wanted to just "buy something." And horse hames...women bought them for hanging baskets from 'em...the Mexican guy who spoke no English bought two for, I guess, a horse...I hope it fits... I didn't even put the sherbet glasses out. Once we opened the garage door, there was no going back. I had soooo many old frames. I sold most for $1., and a few for $5. I didn't put any tinware out. I wasn't sure what I had, other than a lot, and ran out of time to research.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8452374

Plant money!!! He is holding out on you... hold his feet to the fire. LOL

It sounds as though you enjoyed it. It is fun to talk to all the different people.

My sister had a vintage photo of an austere couple over the fireplace in her family room. At a family gathering I heard someone ask if that was her husbands' family. She said nope, just some grandparents that needed adopting. It was a garage sale treasure.

When I watch what folks buy at garage sales, I often wonder what they will do with the merchandise. Very fun!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8452502

Lost my post!

I asked people when I had a chance..."What are you going to do with this?" And most would say it reminded of them of their mother, etc., or when they were little...no plan yet!
I'm sleeping in tomorrow, and then going to the botanical garden plant sale...but I guess I'll have to take ole money bags with me. He deposited checks already, but maybe I'll get a breakfast taco and a salvia... I already had to buy 5 tickets for the festival! Now I'll have to hear..."Don't you already have some of those?...Where are you going to put that?...That smells funny!...Do you really need it?" At least he says it with a smile, and I can ignore it with a smile!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
3:26 AM

Post #8452678

What a grand adventure, Sandi!! I am envious. :-) I know you are tired but it's so worth it when it finally all comes together. Great fun too! And newspaper articles to boot. What brought that reporter to your sale in particular?

My salvia is ready to bloom. I couldn't believe it when I examined it yesterday. Hope you get another one (or more) at the sale.

You and "ole money bags" have a great time! :-)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8452818

Quoting: but maybe I'll get a breakfast taco...
can hardly wait to see the blooms on that one. LOL Have a good time today!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8453239

LOL
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8453732

The reporter was doing a feature story on garage sales and why people have them, and why people go to them. He was going to other sales too, not just ours. Guess he saw a crowd and stopped.

DH took me to breakfast this morning and I had crab cakes...no taco. We hit Lowe's on the way home, but it was really crowded and long lines. I can go back tomorrow. While he took a nap, I headed to the plant sale at Zilker Gardens...with a cart! Didn't buy a thing. 'Fun just looking, tho. And I got to visit with all my gardening buddies.

DD is having us over for dinner tonight...my birthday... 'Get to be princess for a day, then turn back into an ole goat tomorrow! Have to re-pack some of that garage stuff...ugh.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8453746

♪♪♪♫♫ Happy Birthday to you! ♫♫♪♪♪

And many more, Sandi. :-)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8453877

Why, thank you!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8453897

Happy Birthday!

Thumbnail by JuneyBug

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8454010

Well, Happy Birthday, sweetheart. Happens that today is also my daughter's 48th birthday. Hard to figure out just how that happened in that I am only 39 again.

Sorry, I certainly didn't intend to put a burden on you about the post cards. Another one of those things with words in black and white with no inflection. I'm sure I come off quite sarcastic when I have no need.

We are up to our axxx in an estate sale for my 93 year old MIL. You have probably already read about my complaints on other forums. Moved her into assisted living just before Thanksgiving and it has been nothing but trouble. By the Grace of God, a buyer came to us for her house. It is on 2+ acres on the waterfront of Lake Tawakoni, 3300 sq ft house and two major outbuildings with multiple improvements on the water front. Sale is next Friday and Saturday and we will close on the house the following week. Biggest problem is the distance. It is 75-80 miles from our house and we don't spend the night. Back and forth. Turns out she is a hoarder but of the craziest things. Room deodorizer, candles, foil, baggies, Tide, Windex, motor oil, 12 gas containers...all full, 45 pieces of Spice of Life CorningWare, 2 full sets of Corelle and every kind of kitchen gadget ever made. There are no heirlooms. She was raised in the Methodist Orphanage in Waco and sadly is now living her last days in yet another institution. God help me that I don't live that long.

Glad that your sale was a success. I have a multitude of Rubbermaid totes with collection after collection. Thinking seriously of having a "purge" here at my house when all of this is finished.

Someday we will meet and have a lot of laughs over the things we though we important.

LouC aka Christi

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8454088

Hey ~ Christi! I wondered where you have been and now I know. I felt the same when going thru my Moms' home last June. I came home and have been donating, tossing and gifting much of my junque. I can only wonder what the next generation will think of my crap. I have a gold/silver thimble that belonged to my Grandmother which I will pass on to a needleworking niece this summer. I hope to also carry both sets of silver flatware and give one to each stepdaughter. I am also returning some (just not me) gifts to the giftor. Enough already.

Happiest of birthdays to you Bubbles. Sounds like it has been a grand day. Best wishes for many more! And you bought no plants ???
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8454741

Christi...I only wanted you to know that Mona would have a voice...even if her relatives sold her memories in a garage sale!
I posted a pic of my garage a couple of weeks ago on Cubits to push myself to get rid of stuff. Someone came in and asked if I needed the people from Hoarders show on TV to come in and help me!

Thanks for birthday wishes. I removed my birth date from my profile because of fears of identity theft. Easy to figure out the rest with birth date... Not that there's much they could do my credit cards, I don't think, but you never know.

No plants Podster! Tomorrow, I'm getting my yard in some sort of shape, but first I have to finish re-packing some garage stuff. I think my new plan to get rid of the rest of this is to gather all the cups and saucers, all the little collectable pitchers, shot glasses, etc... and sell each group as a lot. This one piece here and one piece there is going to take forever.
I want to be the only antique in my house!!!!

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8455406

As a past dealer, never sell the collection one piece at a time. There is always a scale of best to not so good in any collection. People will cherry pick the best and leave you with the junk that you will never get rid of. FYI. All or nothing.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8458079

Well, the guy from the newspaper called last night. He wanted to know if the little school desk sold, how much, to whom, etc. I had to call him back because I wrote her name down, but didn't know where! Had to call DD to remind me where I put the paper...so I wouldn't forget...which I did. He still wants to do a feature on the postcards. I told him I needed a couple of weeks to gather and go thru them.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8473197

Re-discovered this Wesson Oil jar with the recipe for mayonnaise on the front of it. Tried to get pic of the raised recipe thru the bottle. I'm tempted to try to make mayo with the recipe and the mixer! My granny always made her own mayo. Maybe I'll do that in my "spare time" after I finish the back yard...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8473377

Now I don't believe for one little minute that you have much spare time! :-)

Cool jar ... I've had similar but not that exact one. Homemade mayo is darn good. I started making my own tartar sauce year before last and now I can't stand the "store boughten" stuff. I'll bet if I made my own mayo for my own tartar sauce, it just might be spectacular. :-D)))

Still can't get over the amount of antiques you keep coming up with. Was that jar your aunt's also?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8473717

Yes, I had a lot of her stuff at the lake. Started taking it back into town a little at a time. Before, up there, I had a sorta country/Mexican Talevera kitchen. Now all the country stuff is back here in the garage. DH is not into country either. Need to try Craig's list...just hate the crazies that might call!

I make my own tartar sauce too! Mayo, pickle relish and green onions... Haven't tried the Wesson mayo, but I'm thinkin' about it...

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8473852

I add a little garlic powder and some capers to my tartar sauce as well. And since I've found Duke's mayo, I won't use anything else. It would be fun just to try making your own mayo a time or two ... maybe with some different oils and such. Why is it I can come up with a hundred things to do when I can't get done what I already have sitting here waiting to be done?

Today I'm running in and out working in the yard. Ground is nice and soft after the storms. Fortunately, we didn't have much damage here. Nashville and points east, not so lucky. How about you all?

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8473937

Beautiful bloom! Mine are late again...
'Had two inch rain night before last...a raindrop every two inches! The wind blew for 24 hours, tho. Some of the bananas that were up about 3 ft, look like the leaf ends are burned. The oak tassels off the trees are thick all over the ground, and full of yellow pollen. We keep scooping 'em up and bagging them for the garbage guys.
I've been out all day planting things back in-ground that I'd taken up to keep from freezing this past winter. I stand and look at the yard and wonder why I'm doing it? I work so hard to get things done before the 100s kick in and I can't get out there...then we have a very brief fall when the temps are in the high 70s and we can enjoy it...and bam...time to put it all away again. If you get a chance, go to my tx cubit and see the piano installation in Austin. It's really kind of cool...pianos all over the downtown area for anyone to play and "decorate." I hope to get out tomorrow and take some pics of all of them. They're only up until the end of the month.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8487333

I was going through post cards last night...and I found that I have three distinct groups of ladies' collections. So New Mexico Mona's not the one who's husband went off to war...

It was Dollie! And her family and her DH's all lived in Hamilton, Ohio. I even found a photo album of the flood there..and asst photos of the family. I have a photo ID'ed as Dollie now. It's like connecting a big puzzle. I found the husband's draft notice from Jan 26, 1918.

I 'googled' the husband's name last night and found a man with the closest name who is about 85 and still lives in Hamilton.. I think I may possibly have found the son. There were postcards from the 40's that spoke of "Sonny" that were written by Dollie to her mother. I haven't decided how to approach him on the phone. "Hi, I think I may have all you mother's personal stuff!" (Why'd you get rid of it???)

...and the third group of cards belong to a lady in New Mexico that my aunt knew. Her post cards are from her 'around the world' trip in the 30s on a ship. I even have the menus from the cruise that could be used as post cards.

Did I mention my house needs to be cleaned, laundry to be done, and I'm reading post cards??
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 22, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8513727

Hi Sandi,

Thanks for a great thread.

Glad you survived the "sale" and now have enough spare time to read those "shoe box collections" - LOL.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8515127

Hi Bubba! I'm glad you stopped by. I found a small stack of photos from Ohio, where the couple lived. One of them has writing on the back IDing the 3 month old on front as "Sonny," so I know I'm on the right track. Haven't done any calling yet. I'm spending a lot of time trying to "recover" my garden after the freezes we had. Wish I had started the search in the winter, instead of summer. I'd spend more time looking. I still have to "relocate" another box of paper where I remember finding the couple's wedding invitation.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America