Is this a miner's...... ???

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

This has an oblong brass container at the top and a screw on cap. I found a miner's lamp and tried to make it "fit" on whatever this is...but I think the lamp goes on a hat. They were in the same box.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Also can't figure this one out. It's brass, has a "stirrer" of some sort sticking out of the opening in the lid. the top of the lid has an engraving of a ship with "Mayflower" printed under the ship. Next photo will show wand.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The wand with something on the end of it that is heavy and feels like a rock of some kind. I also noticed that the container has a place on the handle to hang it up. I don't know where else to look for this. I wouldn't think it would be for cooking, 'cause it's brass. Looks too nice to be used in the garage for workshop. Stumped....

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And just one more....I found these ice tongs, but the one in foreground looks more like log tongs that I saw online. They are lighter weight too... I remember in the 70s, some people used these to hang paper towels.
Thanks for any help identifying. I'm working my way thru boxes for the garage sale Sat., but stopping every few minutes to figure something out, or play with a toy, and even read the newspapers that some stuff is packed in from 1973-74. Very slow going!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay...I think I found one of 'em! The first photo is a gold miner's sticking tommy candle holder. The miner could hook it onto his hat, or across a beam. The spike was for driving into a rock crevice or a timber. Couldn't find one with the screw on brass end, but maybe that was for matches?

Still can't figure out the brass container. Going to look some more tonight.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I keep looking for something that the brass container could be. The stone looks unstained and no very worn. Could it be made of heat treated limestone and is used to make dried corn more digestible? and maybe container is to soak corn in for the next meal?
Heat treated limestone is like a slake or pickling lime. It sure is a "different looking" tool!

Edited to add that the slaking process is called nixtamalizing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization
http://www.ciaprochef.com/CFA/mexico/video/nixtamalization.html

This message was edited Mar 25, 2011 12:35 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it. The stone seems to be half gone off the rod and is kind of pocked. It very well could be limestone. I'm not familiar with pickling, or heat treated limestone...but it gives me a place to start. I'm going to clean a spot on it tomorrow and see if it may be copper instead of brass. It reminds me of Mexican souvenirs...that type metal. I tried to take a pic of the stamp on top, but my camera just made it fuzzy.
I really appreciate your help.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

That's fascinating. I learned something I didn't know, for sure.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I barely remember overheard ~something~ about it...pretty tenuous, but I had also remembered from school that nutritional deficiencies caused by ignorance in how to prepare the foods caused pellagra & break-bone-disease, and that 'clicked' with something I heard some elderly relatives talking about: limestone "nixes" for dried corn and how they never had a broken bone at their camp because of them. They had cooked the limestone in Missouri and made the nixes before they went out west. It all sounded kind of like a 1880's guy version of a girls hope chest that they were going through and talking about. This was back in '60 and the men were in their 80's or 90's and spent the winters in the south at their nieces house (my G'ma) in Arkansas. On this trip they had brought all of their belongings as the were GTT! - going to Texas to live. You have brought back a sweet memory of the last time that I saw "the Bachelor Swedes" of my family ^_^

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I've been up for over an hour and a half reading thru Google posts about nixtamalization. I have to admit, I've never heard of it before and we've spend nearly our entire married life in south or central Texas. I have a gardening friend who's Mexican and I'm going to ask her about this process (altho...she probably gets her tortillas where I get mine...at the grocery store). I bet she knows about it from her mother and grandmother. I'm absolutely fascinated....

I always learn something from reading these threads. Everyone seems to be so helpful in identifying things. It seems to go beyond that, however....more a sense of camaraderie. And I love your recollection of your uncles.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

June...here's the mark on top of the container. I polished it just a bit and it's brass.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And it looks like half of the stone/rock is missing or used up. There's a stop at the top of where the rock is now to keep it from going any further up the wand. You can see that half of the bottom appears to be gone. Will have to be a mystery for a bit longer!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I could only ID the second one on the front row. The prices are all over the place, and there's so many different kinds. The middle one in the back row looks like it was an extra (probably in another box somewhere!) iron base. The edges are saw-toothed.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

This is a very interesting discussion. Sandi, I found this but haven't had time to search and explore further. Check it out:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/atq/2276770891.html

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Meant to comment about the great collection of old flat irons. I have one that was my grandmother's.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I'll be..... How'd you ever find that? It's not even in your state! I can't wait to tell DH. Thanks so much. I think I'm gonna "possess it" for a while.

Did you read what June wrote about the nixes? I found that so interesting. 'Lived in Texas all this time and wasn't aware of the process.

The irons were in a wooden box buried in the garage. I had also taken some to the lake that I used to keep the doors open. I don't know what I did with those, but I had to move them. Everyone goes barefooted and soon or later we would bang a toe on an iron.

Last night I went thru penny post cards. I wound up reading most of the messages, so it was after midnight before I ever got to sleep. I kept telling DH I was missing some. He'd shake his head and ask how I could know that with boxes of 'em. I knew there was a box that only had the correspondence between "Mona" and her boyfriend/then husband, who then went off to war. Found that box this morning, but I'll keep it for a rainy day to read thru again. I have to get rid of the paper stuff. I have it all in clear boxes, but I still worry that the paper will eventually attract bugs.

BTW, is it warm enough there yet to send your "care pkg?"

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

LOL. I don't know. I guess I've just piddled around with antiques for a long time and sometimes I don't know how I find things. It just comes to me. Oowoooooooo (mysterious and rather spooky music playing) ... ^_^

Yes, I read the thread and about the nixes and it is all most interesting.

I love items like this and threads like this. It's like a good mystery. Fun!

Well, it has been very warm here for a couple of weeks but now cooler. We even had a little sleet today. But it's 45 on the ground. I think the pkg would be okay but might wait until next week. Don't worry about it. I know you are busy. I can't believe all the stuff you have!! It's like an endless treasure trove. I wish I was there to go through it with you. Tee hee.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

How neat! It is a fire starter! The elderly GGUncles had disks of the cooked sandstone, so I had just 'guessed' that they could also have been made to sit on a rod. That firestarter is such a cool invention!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

When I got no response to the pic yesterday, I re-read my post, thinking maybe I wasn't clear enough. When I saw "Mayflower," I wondered if people figured I assumed I might have a piece that came over on THE Mayflower... and I cringed....

I'm hoping I won't "have" so much stuff after tomorrow morning's neighborhood garage sale. We have marked it to "move!!!" I have some large oval framed photos in the attic of what looks like well dressed bankers (?). I'm going to put them out with a sign.....Your Instant Ancestors!.....

I've already kept the things that mean something to me, and more. One of my aunt's friends told me not to think of the things collected as "my aunt's." She said she loved to go to estate and garage sales and didn't pay much for most of the things that were stored....meaning she didn't have an emotional attachment to the stuff, so I shouldn't either. I'm trying to remember that...

June, I would have never had the opportunity to read about nixes if you hadn't at least guessed at the container! And I hope you write down the story of the uncles for your family.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I wish that I could be at your sale! I will pester him again, but I have relatives that were older and remember so much more than I do and they are writing different memories of things that we have asked them about. One was supposed to be writing about this...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

'Even if you could get an oral history over the phone or into a recorder. I have a whole folder of photos of old German gentlemen on horseback....no names, but I know they're kin because my aunt told me. She just didn't get around to IDing them. I have started writing who's who on the back of all the old photos I have, including our own.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

My family uses Facebook and email for everything - even emails end up as status updates if they pertain to the family..LOL! We were 'commanded' to get on FB at one of the family reunions and we are (almost) all pretty good about checking in daily or weekly. It simplified so many things to use FB.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

You and my DH may have some common ancestors. We inherited a box of mystery pictures too 20 years ago. Still don't know who they are. Was your family from central Texas?

Your first picture reminded me of something I saw in a medical museum once. It was a hypodermic needle. Or is that what you said was the fire starter?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

The idea of flatirons for doorstops make my toes ache but my Mom used them for bookends on her cookbook shelves.

I always enjoy reading thru these threads. I learn so much. And wish I were free to travel... I would be at the famous Aunties' garage sale today. Hoping it goes well.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

So would I ... most definitely!!! ^_^

Hmmm... we could have chartered a bus and picked up DGrs from TN to TX. "The BigBubblesGarageSaleTour" would have made a great GSRU garage sale round up! But we'd have needed a van lines truck to bring it all home! LOL

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

LOL. Good idea, pod. Who says RUs have to be stationary? You're right about the moving van though. Sort of like when we all go junking. ^_^

Junking? I'm wondering what that is. We lived in Germany when DH was in the army and junking there meant you went through things the locals left on the street for the city to pick up. The Germans didn't appreciate the "junkers", but you sure could get some fascinating stuff that way.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Silver, yes, that's part of it ... along with dumpster diving, thrifting (thrift stores), yard sales, flea markets, and so forth. :-)

Cville, did you live in Germany too?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

No. Was there but only for a short time.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

It was a great garage sale and I'm ready for a nap!!!! I just may get my car into the garage this summer...

Can you get a bus here by this next weekend? 'Google'... Round Top Spring Antique Fair. It officially begins the 30th of March, but the dealers start setting up in farmers' fields Monday and the savvy shoppers and decorators hit on Tuesday. We went to the fall show and walk, walk, walked. It was fun to see the big tents of expensive stuff, but I really liked the "yard junk" more. My house is a disaster zone right now, but I'd love to have you.

I'll have to come back later and tell you about the sale. We had to close the garage door and come inside at 2:00. People wouldn't let us put things away. The sale was officially only from 8 to 12. We could still be out there. We are beat!!
I'll have a good story to tell after I take a nap too.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Would you believe a storm is brewing and it's about to rain? We were shoving large items we left out on the courtyard into the garage a bit ago. I'd say we were pretty lucky.

What I wanted to share was....A guy had some questions about an old school desk at the garage sale. DH called me over to talk to him, and then walked off to help someone else.

The guy wanted to know how I came to have the school desk. 'Where it came from. How old it was. Why was I selling it? I answered all, and then he had more. And the young woman with him was writing stuff down. Anyone who knows me knows I have a rather sarcastic sense of humor, and I was wanting to move on. Did I mention that he kept taking photos of this little desk? Then he asked for a ladder to take a photo from above. We had people all over the driveway while this is going on. So I asked why. DH hadn't told me the guy had already given him a card and told him he was from the newspaper doing an feature article on garage sales. Luckily, I didn't say something "smarty."

He asked if I'd write down what the desk eventually sold for, if I accepted less, and who and why the person was buying it. And he asked for our phone number so he could call later.

He was thumbing thru some penny post cards as he talked and commented on the dates of some. I told him about a whole shoe box of post cards I had of Miss Mona Haney's, starting in about 1909 between girl friends, progressing to boyfriends, and to husband who eventually went off to war. I said I even had her wedding announcement, and I found it sad that her family chose to sell her memories in a garage sale (where my aunt happened on them). He asked if I could find them and let him go thru 'em. He had already named his next story....A Life in a Shoe Box....

And then the guy left... A couple and two small boys drove up. She fell in love with the desk because she remembered her grammie had one. He bought it for her because he said..his "wife was pregnant and he had to!" And then I asked the wife if she would mind if I gave her name to the news guy. She gave me her name and number....and that is that....whew....can't make this stuff up!

I hope LouC wanders in here and reads this because she really wanted me to find Mona's family and see if they wanted her things. I think she'd be pleased. I believe this is a most fitting tribute to Miss Mona Haney.

edited to complain my time stamp is an hour off!

This message was edited Mar 26, 2011 6:02 PM

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

How Neat! Now Miss Mona's story will be shared with large audience and maybe even some family.

"Junking? I'm wondering what that is." that is when my husband brings stuff home. Mine are treasures not junk! Junque is junk with a little class.

BigBubbles... we could have been your best customers and you probably could have also put us to work. Oh well... I wouldn't have room for it when we got home. Kept saying we needed to put a roof over 5 acres.

I am glad it was successful and hope you managed to sell a few of the larger items to make more room in the garage. No doubt the cleared area will be incentive to do more. In years past, we would carry a load of goods from the 2nd hand store to sell at the flea market. I always hated to bring any of it back to the store. Never managed to totally sell out.

I love the reporter story. He came to the right garage sale when he visited yours. I am glad too that Ms Monas' story will be shared with many. I suspect that was the box you wanted to read thru first? Glad the day went well...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I asked DH...who kept the "bank" for us..how much he thought we made. He said he "wasn't sure." I think he's afraid if he tells me, I'll just go buy something.... I don't care...I'm just glad to get it out of the garage and not feel like we gave it away.

We did have some stuff to take back in. It looked like we hadn't gotten rid of much until I realized that we hadn't really put it back, just shoved tables back into the garage. The best thing was getting rid of large furniture items. The surprise was the1900 post cards...for $1. or $2. Lots of people went thru those and bought lots of them. I didn't even put out the holiday ones. I guess they wanted to just "buy something." And horse hames...women bought them for hanging baskets from 'em....the Mexican guy who spoke no English bought two for, I guess, a horse.....I hope it fits... I didn't even put the sherbet glasses out. Once we opened the garage door, there was no going back. I had soooo many old frames. I sold most for $1., and a few for $5. I didn't put any tinware out. I wasn't sure what I had, other than a lot, and ran out of time to research.

Plant money!!! He is holding out on you... hold his feet to the fire. LOL

It sounds as though you enjoyed it. It is fun to talk to all the different people.

My sister had a vintage photo of an austere couple over the fireplace in her family room. At a family gathering I heard someone ask if that was her husbands' family. She said nope, just some grandparents that needed adopting. It was a garage sale treasure.

When I watch what folks buy at garage sales, I often wonder what they will do with the merchandise. Very fun!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Lost my post!

I asked people when I had a chance..."What are you going to do with this?" And most would say it reminded of them of their mother, etc., or when they were little...no plan yet!
I'm sleeping in tomorrow, and then going to the botanical garden plant sale...but I guess I'll have to take ole money bags with me. He deposited checks already, but maybe I'll get a breakfast taco and a salvia.... I already had to buy 5 tickets for the festival! Now I'll have to hear...."Don't you already have some of those?...Where are you going to put that?....That smells funny!....Do you really need it?" At least he says it with a smile, and I can ignore it with a smile!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

What a grand adventure, Sandi!! I am envious. ^_^ I know you are tired but it's so worth it when it finally all comes together. Great fun too! And newspaper articles to boot. What brought that reporter to your sale in particular?

My salvia is ready to bloom. I couldn't believe it when I examined it yesterday. Hope you get another one (or more) at the sale.

You and "ole money bags" have a great time! ^_^

Quoting:
but maybe I'll get a breakfast taco...
can hardly wait to see the blooms on that one. LOL Have a good time today!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images