-
AuthorContent
scubasteve04
Waynesboro, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8446900

I am planning a water fall of approx. 3' that will flow into an 25' stream ending in a 9 X 14 pond (1900) gallons. I have been told I will need an expensive filter ($800 to $900) for this, yet I plan on fish and plant life in the pond and a somewhat fast moving stream on a rock bed. Please help as this will be my first pond and water accent?

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 24, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8447721

Hmmmm. My set up sounds close. I have about a 21/2 ft lift from the 3800 gph pump in my Koi pond to my up flow filter, into a upper pond then down a 12 ft stream (gravel) back into the Koi pond. My filter is a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank. I built the whole filter for probably $200 and most of that was the stock tank. I have very large Koi who create a lot of waste. What kind of fish do you plan on? Google "skippy filter'.
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
3:35 AM

Post #8554016

I use a 2000gph pump that I put into a 25 gallon rubbermaid tote that has holes (2-inch triangled) cut into the sides , wrap the pump in filter material with bio-balls and lava rock. It is cheap way to filter the pond had enough power to run water fall and a nice stream. Has been in the pond for 10 years , we clean the filter box every two months ( take out of pond and power wash the material, never the bio-balls and lava, that is where the good bacteria lives). the pond is 1500 gallon, and stays clear all year, we run the waterfall 24/7 365 days a year (really sounds weird when we step out of the house during a snow storm and hear running water). Lilies and fish are all healthy. We learned about the filter box from our local pond guru at a class. works great and the cost is not much.
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8574806

I also have a similar setup - 75 foot gravel-bottomed stream with waterfalls and pond. I have two mechanical filters that I made myself out of 55 gallon barrels I got for $5 each from Coca Cola, and a biological skippy type filter that I made from a 150 gallon stock tank. I also have a skimmer but it's the mechanical and biological filters and the gravel stream that keep my pond clear year-round.

Annabelle - you don't have problems with ice buildup diverting the water during winter? I've wanted to keep my stream running, but my husband won't agree to it. I'm also worried about frozen pipes in the event we lose power. Sounds like you've had yours for a while - no issues in winter?
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8577875

Just the waterfall at the edge of the pond runs in the winter, the stream is shut down. fish have survived for 13 years. After a snow fall I see the foot prints of what ever critter is drinking from the pond, several deer use it all winter.
realsis

June 19, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8640153

hi. i have a 2250 gallon pond . it is fed through a BOTTO DRAIN into a biological fillter system. it has a skimmer then is fed to a ultraviolet light back into the pond. i use a mighty might puller pump. my water is then returned into the pond. the biological filter has media that is a series of course through fine filters. it works well. remember when building a pond to put in a bottom drain so the fish feces and material will not settle to the bottom of the pond. this has been a great help in keeping the pond clear and clean. also remember your UV light. this cuts down on alage and bad bacteria.

Thumbnail by realsis
Click the image for an enlarged view.

annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8641099

do not forget, the "benefical bacteria", using it will really keep the poop under control.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America