Photo by Melody

Clematis: Clematis Festoon, Avant-Garde, have you grown them?

Communities > Forums > Clematis
bookmark
Forum: ClematisReplies: 103, Views: 753
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8446986

Hi Clematis lovers. I recently purchased an Avant-Garde clem. from a local nursery here where I live. In looking up info. from our DG's resources, I've noticed but a few members have posted and shared their beautiful blooms in years past. But current questionairs arise and I've a mix responses regarding this clem's. performance in different regions. Have you grown and have success with this particular hybrid? Care to share with me and fellow gardeners that visit DG?

Many thanks.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8447041

Thanks for starting this thread, Kim. I don't have AG and would like to know how it performs for others since we've both seen comments about it on another Clematis thread. I'll be watching and learning.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8447072

Thank you Arlene for your interest. Pictured here is the trellis/arbor( (pic. was taken last summer) that I intended to train my new Avant-Garde vines to share with other ornamental planting since it's recommended to be sunny exposure. I'll post pics. and keep all of us informed of how it will turn out. Bear in mind; clematis isn't for instant rewards kind of plants. It will take time to get established before it shines. The 'ole saying "1st year it sleeps, 2nd year it creeps, 3rd year it leaps". So be patient and enjoy the journey with me.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dem2rd
Naugatuck, CT
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8447320

I have very little luck with Avante Guard, have two, very little growth, one in full sun one in part to full sun, I have had 2 blooms, extremely small. I have other clems that have done much better with the same care, ie Ken Dobson(?) think I spelled that wrong, Asao, Belle of Woking. Would not invest again in it.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8447546

dem2rd, neither [ quote] full sun nor part to full sun [/quote] worked for you? Hmmm, I usually don't spent an oddle amt. of money on clems. Most of mine came from a local friendly nursery where I get everything so very reasonable. With Avant-Garde, I liked it so much for I'm trying to add more double bloomings clems. into my established garden. Also according to the tag that came with it, it clearly stated that the flowers are demunitive-- a bare two inches blooms from Mid-summer to early Fall. Although, I knew they're NOT going to be as huge as my Multiblues which are at least 4" across. I would like to give AG the benefit of the doubt. lol

The 2 double flowers that I've are from local sources, Multi-blue is one (Lowes origin I think), and a double white 'Belle of Woking'? They've done fantastic for me over the years. Mind you, Belle of Woking the first two years it sat there and did very little growing, I thought I was going to toss it out, then POW on its 3rd year it began to persuade me differently. Now after a few years of establishing growth, the Double white flowers clem. are about to make its debut. ...

Okay everyone, I've this to say. Is this one of Plantsthatwork's product or not, I can't be sure. This is what I discovered when I got ready to plant the AG clem. this morning. Yikes!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8447560

What we're looking at is the TM container with PTW's embloom is NOT the original pot that houses my 1gallon clematis!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8447581

Well should it turn out to be other than AG that I've got. I can always return the clem. within a year of purchase since it's a reputable nursery in town.

I'm now more cautious as to whether or not to invest in another identical Clematis from this dealer. That said, I'm giving it a go!

I planted it in a tall ceramic container and will harden the vines in this sheltered, South facing area for now. First I teased off the circling robust root system, then planted the clem. 2 inches deeper than its original soil line. Top dressed the container with other annuals to keep its root system 'cool' and also serving as a decorative purpose.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

dem2rd
Naugatuck, CT
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8447933

I have ZONE ENVY!!!!!! great pic's, love that everything is so GREEN!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8448076

I want green too...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8448085

I want green three.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8448392

Thanks evryone. Will post more in the near future.
Kim
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8448408

dem2rd, I followed the advise of these ladies, and hands down, this is the best that my clematis have ever grown so early in the season. I added compost around the top of the plants, fertilized with Osmocote 2/3 and Colorburst Bloombooster 1/3 mixed, sprinkled around the plants a month ago, ( I love this mix, and all my plants to which I apply it to do well, I don't use with my irises however) then I added the Epsom salt in the past week. I've never had these plants with buds so soon. Now I'm sure the warm weather has helped their linear growth. I've looked at AG several times, but have never ordered it, it has such a pretty bloom. Has it been sleeping, creeping, and about to be leaping this year? Lily_love, we're in the same zone and your garden is MUCH greener than mine, I have green envy as well, LOL.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8450902

Could it be the climate that each one is planted in that makes the difference in its growth? Mine came from CA. I was told that it would do well in NJ.
I am hoping that my cold winters done kill it off for good.
I will post a picture of what growth I have as soon as I can.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8451010

I haven't a clue if getting it from CA would be a negative, Marie, but I just saw a note in the Ensata Gardens catalog mentioning the differences in pH from New England states to their Michigan location.

"If you have experienced losses of newly planted healthy Siberians, it may be due to a difference in soil PH from where the plants came from. Our Midwest soil is pH 6.5 and we have high losses of very healthy Siberians coming from pH 5.5 soils of New England and Oregon".

I don't know if that would hold true for clematis coming from CA to NJ.

They do suggest: To bypass the problem, we pot up the new arrivals in potting mix until new roots form.

I somehow doubt all new roots would form on clematis fast enough to get them growing with vigor.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8451057

Arlene, I can appreciate the different in pH and its effect on each plant's cultural requirement. I always wonder how Roses and Clematis are such great companions plants since the two individual requirement for pH is vasely different. Also, Marie, it's said that AG is hardy up to zone 4. So hopefully they survived over the winter just as well there for you.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8451077

Here I aim for 6.5 pH to keep them both content. My tall bearded irises and my clem's are always planted with a chunk of cement to help with the acidity problem we have (that does produce beautiful Japanese irises!) and so far the cement is working well.

Roses just seem to want much more water than the clematis so that's how I've lost too many clem's and why I don't plant more of them with the roses.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8451583

Ok pirl you are amking me wonder if I should move my clems that I planted with all my roses last fall. I thought i heard that clems like moist but well drained soil.
I would hate to loose all those clesm do to too much water.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8451705

Don't do it. I made the fatal error of putting the hose on the ground, on the low setting, and then forgetting about it and the area around the rose drained toward the clematis. It was the next day that I realized it but the clem took a few weeks (from memory) to die.

So many people love to drench the clem's daily but when they're in the ground they don't need the amount of water they would require if they were baking in the sun in hot black nursery pots.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8451967

I just remembered, I bought mine from TpNursey on here. Maybe she can give us some insight on this Clem.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8451975

As long as I've grown my clems. I had no problem with them interplanted with roses down South. I have several that planted with Azaleas that is where I noticed some decline.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8451978

I wonder why that was Lily_love?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8451987

Azaleas need acidic fertilizer, I suspected that is where they stunt the clem. especially if I left it to my hubby to help out in the garden. Occassionally he does. lol
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8451990

Lol funny, I would never ask my hubby to help. Unless it is to lift heavy items...lol
I ask him to water things in pots one year while I was gone for a few days, Well that did not, happen. I come home to all dead plants...lol

I asked Babette from TP Nursery to come over and give us some insight on this Clem.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8452074

LOL Marie, DH is getting much better as years go by. lol His specialty would be grass up keep, without his help, I'm at a loss there. My newly planted AG clem is looking fine.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8452148

That is looking nice. I am keeping my fingers crossed for mine. We had a freeze last night. I took a real quick walk before work to check everything out. So far all looked ok.

I do the grass up keep too around here. But that is ok, I enjoy it.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8452184

Here's AG paired with rosa America. Photo taken around mid-summer last year. It was a mere starter plant I purchased from a co-op and planted spring of last year too. I'm surprised how quickly it grew. Whatever I feed my roses with, I feed it to my clems too.

Thumbnail by Tex68

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8452194

Oh Tex68, now we're talking! Not a too bad a performer. Thank you for sharing your pic. with us. How did AG turn out this spring?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8452201

Did you know to prune it back around Feb-March to last year's stems? I purchased mine recently, and the vines is but 2 feet tall approx. so I gather the nursery has pruned it back when they brought it back out on the display.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8452231

Tex68 you give me hope. I hope mine comes back like that one. Does it start off real slow coming up in the spring? Mine is only about an inch tall now.
You are up by Manahawkin right? Should I do anything special now to help it along?
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8452417

I believe it's group 2 pruning. But I waited until there were swell buds on the stems before I pruned it to around 24'' about 3 weeks ago. It's currently loaded with buds and look like there's new growth from the base too.

Marie - I live almost by the shore. Like what I said, almost a plug sized, planted spring last year and by summer time it grew to more than 4 feet tall happily growing along the fence.
Maybe it was all the fertilizers I feed it with. Kelp solutions and fish emulsions do wonders to plants. I was also diligent in watering my plants last summer. It was one of the hottest and driest summer ever.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8452902

Thanks Tex68. I will give that little guy some food today and hope for the best.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8452967

I'm encouraged by your experience, Tex. Thank you for your contribution to our thread. Marie, it's you and I on the race to keep these 'guys' healthy.

editted for typos.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2011 8:01 AM
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8452985

UH Oh...lol
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8453006

I am wondering if mine will come back this year. Last year was so dry.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8453009

Did you keep it very well mulched?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8453020

Arlene

Yes, everything was mulched with the exception of my iris's. I had said previously to my husband that I could not imagine what the plants would have gone through last summer had they not been mulched. It was so very dry and I watered almost every night - some plants were watered every night and I still felt like I was just barely keeping everything alive.

I have no idea what to expect this coming summer, the summer before last was so wet, I believe it rained close to daily...
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

March 27, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8453022

M y soil ph is 7.2 which is much higher than I would like it. Worse the ph of our water is
9 . I asked our county extension agent about this...she said it is not only caused by the lime stone but also by the addition of fluoride to our water.

I bought some "top soil " from a local nursery here and found that they had added lime stone chips to the dirt.

Most of the good nurseries here are going out of business...the one I worked at as a boy is long gone.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8453033

Have you checked for any bud swelling lately? I'm heading out later to check more of the lazy ones.

I did check my photos of bud swelling and new growth of clematis and by April 9th there were huge changes from mid March so the magic time is close at hand.

I clearly recall our hot summer last year and the very rainy June of 2009!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8453037

John - we cross posted, sorry.

Would you consider adding little chunks of cement to the areas where plants very sensitive to pH are located?
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

March 27, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8453279

No problem. Just out in the garden. The Clem buds look just fine after 1 inch snow and 32 temp last night.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8487263

Ah, Clems. are pretty stout on taken up some minor snow episodes in early spring. How are yours coming along folks? Here is my newly planted AG this season. Look at the contrast of bigger leaves that of 'Firework' next to the fine texture leaflets on the AG vines. Oh, knowing that it would be awhile for me to rip the benefit of AG's blooms. I added some annuals to the pot to divert my attention from being impatient awaiting for blooms. Tex68, are yours making buds at present?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8488855

Lily_love - Are you asking about flower buds or leaf buds? My clems are just starting to leaf out with real leaves. Some are actually starting to climb or cling to whatever structure/support they can find.
Maybe in a week or so I'll start pruning to the 3rd set of leaves for more growth. But there's a lot of new basal growth already, so is it really necessary to prune them?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8488865

Interesting question. I've never pruned again to the third set of leaves but it's worth a try. Thank you for a very good idea.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
3:53 AM

Post #8489343

Well, it promotes more branching and more growth. But of course that will delay the blooming process. I was just out in the garden. It's so bright out there already at 6AM. I think I'm seeing actual flower buds already on some of them.

With the weather really warming up, they seem to be growing several inches overnight. All the roses are leafed out except for the new ones I just planted. Lilies are shooting bullets and missiles out of the ground. Tulips got bloom buds and the creeping phloxs are starting to bloom. The joy of spring! It's going to rain today. As what they say, April showers, brings May flowers!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8489469

Tex, ditto! to help answer your question. According Novalis the tm of this hybrid clem. They suggest "Each February or March prune to the base of the the previous year's stems." I purchased this vine recently, and I believe the nursery have already pruned mine so I omitted pruning this year. I did test one branch however to see if it'd stimulate new growth on a tip-pinching. Nada, zilt! There was no new growth there on the stem that I pinched back. Thank you for sharing this experience with others.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8489645

Tex - lots of fast growth here as well. It's quite amazing.

I forgot to cut one Dr. Ruppel back so I'll cut each stem at different heights to see what happens.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8493149

Can you see it,?,, That is my Avant-Garde...lol

One lonely little vine trying to find its way out of the ground to that mighty big trellis up there. Oh no I dont think I can make it that far...lol
I have hopes. Oh well I figured it will take that little guy forever to get up there so I planted another Clem along with it on the same trellis, I know he will make it up there before the summers end..lol

Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8493195

How sweet! I really do see it, Marie, and it's fun to watch how fast they grow.

Louise (venu209) and I were each out recently with magnifying lenses to try and find some hint of growth on a few clem's. It's that desperate time of year for them...and us.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8493287

I have many more that are older and they are really shooting up. I was looking today and thinking I had better get that twine up on the trellis real soon for them to climb up.. They are growing real fast. That will be my project tomorrow before I go back to work on Friday.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8493331

My older ones are also growing very fast and some are at 2', a few taller and a few shorter, but all seem eager to grow (except for the two slouches).

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8493483

Hang in there everyone. Spring will get there eventually. Down South it's getting HOT. Yup, I was hoping spring will linger a bit longer but we can't have the cake and eat it too. LOL about needing the magnifying glasses Arlene. Marie, your AG new sprout looks healthy. Keep us all posted please.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8493560

Dang! I wish I have a spectacular view like that! Reminds me of the gorgeous mountain lakes in upstate NY. The ocean and the sand is getting too dull for me already here at the Jersey shore. LOL!

That magnifying glass thing is funny. 3 weeks ago when all my clems were leafing out but one. I got worried that it may have died and I literally dug out carefully the surrounding mulch and soil to see if there was any sign of new growth at the base. Yep, one tender little red thing trying to grow. Now it's about 6" tall and more growth.

Planted more roses today. Still waiting for my order from David Austin. Starting to get worried already I might have to call them tomorrow.

Photo is Mohonk Mountain House, New Paltz, NY. The have some gorgeous gardens.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2011 6:07 PM

Thumbnail by Tex68

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8493582

Oh Wow, I would love to go there and see that place.

I keep hoping for this little guy. All the rest I planted last fall are doing great.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8493589

The best magnifying glass to use is the one they sell for menu reading. It has the light attached so the little stems are easier to find. I thought Ivan Olsson was lost but with magnification and light I found it. Looks like a bunny snacked on it, but it's making a comeback!
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8493594

Wow, Tex, looks like a fortress!
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8493653

Venu - the photo don't do much justice of the resort's architectural structure as it is partly obstructed by a cliff. It actually looks like a Victorian castle and the motif is indeed Victorian. No TV's in your room (gotta go to the TV room downstairs to watch TV).
The place is very secluded in thousands of acres of unspoiled and pristine wilderness. Designated as a National Historic Landmark, recognized by the United Nation's Environment Programme. Owned by the same family for more than 140 years.
The cliff that you see in the above photo forms a semi circle surrounding the lake, and gosh I don't know many pagodas along the trail for you to relax to enjoy the view.

The place is really magical. We've been there twice. Pricey, yes, but it's so worth it. You can also obtain a day pass to view their gardens which I may say is so breathtaking.

Thumbnail by Tex68

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8493673

Whoa! Tex, that's added on to my to do list. Hope to visit that gorgeous resort someday.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8493894

Pricey is surely the word for it. Around 400 a night for 2 people including meals. I could do one night...lol
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8493921

I went to their website. They have some affordable midweek specials. 2011 vacations are planned, but I'll certainly keep it in mind for 2012. It's spectacular!
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8493966

Another one of my favorites too - The Sagamore at Bolton Landing, Lake George, NY. Hard on the wallet too. but Lake George is to die for.

Thumbnail by Tex68

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8529921

It is looking better, but I must say it is a more fragile Clem.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8529962

Some really do have that fragile look.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8530694

Yes, Avant Garde really have that delicate look; compare the regular size of Firework's leaves next to AG's. Thanks Marie for sharing your pix. Please refresh my memory, how old is yours?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8530704

Another angle at the two Clems. mingling with each other. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8531236

I got it last summer as 2 small plants,(2 year old seedlings). I planted them in the ground in the fall.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8531814

It will be fun to see if they will bloom this year. Marie. Please keep us posted. Likewise, I'll add new posting on mine.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8531824

I am hoping for at least one bloom.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8531834

JeannTx's AG continues to thrive over the years according to her. And knowing that this type is hardy to zone 4. I'm really glad that we've the pleasure of having one. :)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8718846

Hi everyone, it's time to revisit this thread. My AG is sending out tiny little buds. Yes, buds, flower buds. But they're extra small I can barely get a decent picture to share. How is everyone else's AG doing so far for the season?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8718881

Pardon, I went back and looked at the flowerbuds, and it was my error. The buds belong to SAC! I'm so disappointed.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8718913

Kim

Mine never came back...:(

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8718923

Awww, that's too bad. Carolyn, perhaps this cultivar is a dud. It's said to be hardy far North as zone 4. My vine looks fine except for the lack of flowers. I'll give it a little bloom booster and keep watch on it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8718932

Kim

Mine never did bloom. Actually, it really didn't do much and I had it for several years. Definitely not one I would replace.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8718949

It's sad that we have to live and learn at our own expense.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8719229

The one that the voles ate off is coming back. But it is real small. I don't expect anything from it for years.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8719366

Arlene, I'll continue to monitor. Marie, voles has been a real pain here in my garden. I think I've lost quite a few liliums to them. I'll try to plant Daffodils to repell them critters. What method of voles control do you use in your garden?
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8719486

I have lost so much to them. Each year I see more missing plants and more eaten up during the summer. I have tried everything on the market and none of it works. Plant your special bulbs in wire cages and try and figure out what they have not eaten and plant that. Daffodils have not deterred them in may gardens.
I also have a bad run of Moles this year.
Good Luck.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8719494

DH uses the cone that you get at Lowes to get rid of the voles. We had them badly to the point where they were jumping in front of him when he was bending over outside. I definitely would not want to see one of those little critters go sailing in front of me. The stuff works.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8719520

What is the "cone" made of Carolyn?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8719684

Kim

It is a plastic cone with poison pellets. The voles were killing everything planted on the berm of the pond. Now it all has grown back, recovered and looks great.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8719700

Do they have one for deer? LOL

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8719704

gasp. I've too many good critters, birds, pets, running around. I'm so afraid to use anything toxic.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8719827

Ok them I have not tried. I am game. I will get them the next time I hit Lowes. Where and how do I place them?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8720454

Marie

place them down the holes in the ground and around the areas where you see the critters and around plants that have been damaged.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8720544

How many square feet does one cover? My flower beds surround my yard, and then close to the house.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9139145

I was wondering of there were any updates to the Advant Garde Clems this year? Mine is showing better growth this year since I put in in a pot. Stem is getting tougher and more woody like. I have hopes.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9139323

Hi Marie, I'm glad you asked. Mine is growing, but hasn't sent out any flower buds for the season. Since most hybrid clems. have bloomed where I'm and mostly are gone. I'm thinking of plan B. e.g. moving my A.Garde clem. to a sunnier spot in the garden.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9139922

Mine is about 6 inches tall, but is getting much stronger looking. I hope that means the roots are also getting stronger. Will put more manure to put on top and mulch.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9141092

This is mine, it gets only filtered sun in the morning. I need to relocate the pot badly.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9141151

Yours sure looks better than mine...lol I dont know what else to do to get it to grow.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9141451

Show us a photo of it, Marie, and let us know the exposure. Maybe one of us will have an idea to help you and the clematis.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9141464

It is in a pot and I had it where it got sun than shade. I can move it anywhere .
HELP!!..lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9141497

Sunshine, manure, Epsom salt drink, MULCH. That pot does have good drainage, right? Check to see if roots are coming through the holes. How big is the pot?
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9142473

It is about an 8 inch pot Arlene. It drains fine, I checked that.I put manure on top, a drink of the salts,but not a whole gallon. and then mulch. Like I said it is finally getting a stronger stem, but not much growth.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9142496

Only one strong stem? If so, I'd leave the strong one and cut the others back. The ES drink should promote new growth. Keep us informed.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9142811

I only have that one stem Arlene...lol

More epson salt and manure will go on this morning.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9142817

It's so difficult to want a lush plant but see just one strong stem. Let's hope you get many more stems. That plant has me so intrigued!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9142835

Hec, Arlene, I would just be happy with it staying alive. I lost one of them last year. It is just not growing well. I was trying to think when I got it and I saw my old posts. Hec it is 2 years old now. I sure hope once it decides it wants to live and grow, it keeps on growing after all I have done to get it to live.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9142860

All I can do is wish you luck. You may want to do a search for Avant Garde by ClematisGuru. Maybe, if she had it, she may have given some help on growing it.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9362809

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in today about the Advant Garde. After pinching it back all summer and not letting it get to big. I took it out of the pot to plants and the roots were so big. I am sure I will get blooms next spring. Not to bad after 3 years of babying it to get it to grow. I will surely post pics of the growth next spring.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9362841

Thanks, Marie. We'll be looking forward to the photos of your Avant Garde.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9362904

Hi everyone, happy Holidays to all. Marie, you and I have both pampered these clem. Mine was finally moved to a sunnier spot in the garden. I'll post the update on mine as I look forward to seeing yours.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2012
3:31 AM

Post #9363608

We can compare our blooms Lily-Love...lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9537640

I've got news! Please come and join me on the next thread for the new development -----> http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1315125/

This message was edited May 28, 2013 7:48 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America