Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: Trachycarpus fortunei, is light needed for germination?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AGCcutter
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2011
10:46 PM

Post #8448660

I have conflicting sources that say the seed must be on top or the soil to germinate and others that say to sow 1" deep. If you have experience please respond. I am planting self harvested seed from mature palms that I planted from seed 20 years ago. I was experimenting with twenty plus varieties of palms at the time and I do not think the Trachycarpus fortunei were surface sown.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 24, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8448668

I am not familiar with the plant since I live in cold zone 4. However, a rule thumb for seeds is that small and tiny seeds are surface sown (needing light) since they would be too small to reach top of the soil when they germinate. It actually isn't so much that small or tiny seeds require light, it is just so that they aren't buried and unable to reach the surface.

Larger seeds, sow them 1/3 to their size in deepth. The larger the seed, the deeper they need to be sown.
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2011
9:59 PM

Post #8795440

How did your seedlings turn out? how long to germinate? Often, with palms, it's to heat or not that's the ?. Being that they're a native of China and their cold hardiness, I wouldn't think heat would be an issue.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America