Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Need help with transplanting my lotus pond

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 39, Views: 229
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8449521

Hi, I decided to move my Lotus pond and since we were moving also decided to put in a bigger pond at the same time. So we set up the new pond and got ready to move the Lotus.

Here is my problem, I have never moved a lotus before. So I looked on this site and found some great info, however I am still a little intimidated. How excactly do I divide this lotus. I have only had it for 2 years this comming month, and when I followed the directions I found here, it was just a little vague as to the actual separating of the tubers and how to do it.

So far this is what I have done, We moved the whole thing in one pice to the new site. Flipped over the old container and then started washing away the dirt.

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8449523

Several pictures to follow:

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8449525

3rd pic

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8449527

4th

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8449529

5th

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8449532

Last one.. Can someone tell me exactly where to cut and how may to cut and how to start new pots for some of the ones I cut??
Thanks

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 25, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8449626

No idea, just envious you can grow Lotus :(

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8449645

Really, well I have read some of your posts and I am sooooo much more envious of your whole garden,,,lol

Trade you,, My lotus for your garden,,,heehee

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 25, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8449765

Let me think ... :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8449804

Elfie

I have not grown lotus, but it seems to me that it would be like waterlilies. You have to make sure you have a growing point in your division for it to grow.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8449830

I cut mine apart last year. The new shoots are very very very (did I mention very?) fragile...much like a bean sprout.

Hose as much mud off as possible, then remove clusters that have both roots AND growing tips that are sprouting new shoots. Without a growin tip, no matter how big the tuber is, it just won't grow.

I fill black wash tubbies I bought at the dollar store with plain cat litter from Walmart, half way up, moisten it all with water, put the tuber on the top with the growth tip facing up, and cover the bottom half of the tuber with more kitty litter. I put some river rock gently over the surface of the litter, anchoring down the tuber, but leaving the growing tip exposed. Move it where you want it to be, and lower it into place before filling it the rest of the way with water.

Now mind you, I grow mine in the shallow end of my koi pond, so the rocks are neccessary to keep them out. I usually also let a few leaves sprout before lowering them into the pond, so the shoot is less likely to be nibbled off.

I also have them growing in large rubbermaid tubbies with no fish. Kitty litter and tadpoles only. They do very well in there too.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8449888

Ok, I think I explained it wrong. There is nothing in the pond except for the lotus. When I did the first one I used a 120 gallon pre-formed pond. Now using a 250 preformed pond. Still nothing going in the pond except the lotus. I used Alabama clay ( my whole yard) mixed with mushroom compost, 3 bags of topsoil and 1 cup of epson salt the first time out. I never fertized the pond after that. Bad of me ,, but I had no0 idea what I was doing. The lotus was sent to me from another DGer who had a very ill hubby and did not have the time to tell me how to do it all correctly. Little did she know but her goldfish had laid eggs and they hatched in the pond. I ended up with 50 or so baby goldfish!!

They were all moved to other ponds except 2 that I never could catch. They finally went to the fish pond today when we emptied this one. So that is where I am at now. I decided to just take a few of the tubers off with tips and roots and save them for a RU next month the rest we as carefully as possible dumped into the new pond. Now I am hoping we did not kill the poor thing. I could not leave it out of the water much longer as it is getting really hot in front of my house which is where the new pond is!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8451100

They are very brittle! The above advice is correct. Each tuber must have a growth tip to survive.

I found some links for you.

http://www.lilypons.com/Dividing-Lotus/products/156/

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-36088.html

http://www.watersedge.com/aquatic_plants.htm (lotus and diagrams at the bottom)

http://www.tadege.com/divideyourlotus.htm (good explanation with photos)

Follow directions above then send me the extras. LOL Good luck!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8451105

The bottom photo on the last link, shows a length of tubers that are separated and you can see two obvious sets of growth tips.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 26, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8451155

I grow lotus too and being careful not to break the tips is the main thing.

This is my favorite website and has a ton of information about growing and dividing Lotus:
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/lotus/articles_index.html

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8452250

Thanks so much for all the help. I think I did it mostly right, but we will have to wait and see. I did notice today that there are about 3 leaves starting to open up already, so maybe I did not hurt it too bad. I actually think I should have cut it back more than I did. Well will try again next yesr and now that I have such great directions I am sure I will get it right next time.

Thanks again for everyones help!!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 27, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8452711

The link was very helpful. I am not sure whether it was Bangkok or Shanghai where I saw tons of lotus all over in attractive planters. My question is, since the planters does not have holes do you think the water need to be changed often?

I too have to divide my lotus since it is 8 years old. Thanks for your help. Belle
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 27, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8453132

No the water does not need to be changed often. Just add water as it evaporates.

After 8 years ... I'd have to say it may very well need to be divided. But then again, you live in VA and the cold might kill many of the tuberous roots.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8457068

No, dont change the water...the organic matter that settles to the bottom, feeds the plants. I DO add as many tadpoles as possible. The tadpole poop is just enough free fertilizer to keep the plants going, as well as making the water crystal clear!
I've been growing a great many plants in vases filled with water and tadpoles...hosta...taro...etc.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8457247

Hummmm, I have tons of tadpoles already,, did not know thy helped clean the water,,, going to hunt up some more for the pond in the morning!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8493919

I am glad to report that the lotus is doing well and has over 12 leaves poping up now. Also the tubers I divided out are also sending out leaves to. So I have the ones for my RU and also for the second pond I am putting in!! Thanks again for all the help!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8493931

Glad to hear the good news! I hope you are coming to the Ohio RU and bringing me one too. LOL
realsis

June 19, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8640635

im glad your lotus is doing well! i believe each tubber should have at least two growing tips and i believe you make the cut after the inernode. i know each tubber has a node and an inner node. they say to leave a couple of inches off the internode so the dead growth dosent effect the tubber. seems like you did it correctly because you said you have growth already! post some pictures of the flowers when it flowers this year ok? im looking foward to seeming them!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8640950

I guess I should update this. My DH was transfered to Alexander City, Alabama. So I had to leave my stuff behind for a bit. We have bought an old 1985 Fleetwood Avion RV and are now living on a largish pond for the next 2 to 3 years. I love it.
Last week when I went home the lotus was flowering already!! Also I got very brave and took a few more tubers from one end of the pond and they are now in a cement mixer tub waiting for me to set up a very small lotus garden here too! I have to go back to Smiths Station on the 10th of July I will get pictures then.
Here is a pic ot two of how it looked after the first divide and transfer.

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8640969

here is a picture from the deck.

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8640971

Will get a better pic later.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8641153

Very nice set-up! How lucky you got blooms on your lotus!

I would love to know what to feed lotus to get blooms. Two years now and still no blooms on mine. I am not sure what I need to do to get them to bloom! What kind of fertilizer and how often?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8641172

I am a baaaad person,, I never, ever fertilize mine, and I used, regular topsoil, clasy from my yard and cow manure when I started it. I also added some oxigenationg plants, and baby frogs, and gold fish and just leave it alone. The water stays clear and full of frogs and fish and the ocational turtle. Not real sure why it does so good.

Here is pic of blooms last year,, ignore silly face on Goober...

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8641213

Beautiful blooms!!! Goober is a cutie, too! Your blooms look tall! Were they full size lotus plants or miniature lotus?

I wonder if the cow manure is what got yours to bloom? I use the pond fertilizer tabs and they grow nice big pads, but never bloom. I'd really like to get some blooms this year. I hope someone shares some suggestions I could try.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8641230

I was told to add the manure,, Try it it cannot hurt!! And it is a really big lotus. The leaves get huge!!

Pic is from before the move

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8641262

I wonder if Black Kow compost would work? Or do I need actual manure?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8641338

That is what we used..
realsis

June 24, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8651904

wow your so lucky im so jelious you have flowers already! im still waiting for mine to flower! i have lots of beautiful green leaves but no flowers ... yet... i fertizilize my lotus well, and use a special fertilizer with extra phosphate to promote blooming. its a ratio of 10:26:10. i use it on my lillies too. but still no blooms yet... we get plenty of sun here in zone 9a. i wonder why she hasent bloomed yet? well i guess il have to be patient! please post more pics of your flowers when you can and i will do the same when mine blooms. congradulations on your blooms!

Thumbnail by realsis

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8652567

I'm in 9b and have no blooms yet either...although my water lilies are blooming like crazy.
No clue why, the leaves are huge!
So, I'll just be patient too...
:)

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8653278

All I can tell you is that mine get over 10 hours of Sun a day. Strange that mine are flowering and so many others are not.
realsis

June 25, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8654155

it is strange. my lotus also gets a full days sun and its plenty warm. ive also fertizilized with a higher ratio of phousphurs to promote the blooming. leafs are beautiful and green but no blooms yet here in zone 9a. hummm? I did read somewhere that lotus like to bloom in july and later august. i hope this is correct and soon it will bloom! maybe we just have to wait until later in the summer for our blooms? its so hard to be patient after since last year for the blooms. they say the lotus blooms the second season so im so excited to see flowers!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8654386

I wouldn't worry about it...I'm in zone 9b, my lotus get full sun from sun up to sun down...they also get fertilized, and nothing yet but tremendous leaves... Odd, because my water lilies are doing better than they've ever done...
I'll just be patient and when they get around to it, fine...until then, I have other things going on in my garden that make me happy... I only worry if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's a problem (like bugs or disease) but that just isn't the case...so at some point, I'm sure they'll do their thing :)
realsis

June 26, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8655256

yes hopefully soon they will do their thing and bloom! this year my water lillys are also doing the best they have ever done! ive got many blooms! its just that ive been wantung to see the lotus bloom since last year when they were babies! hopefully it will be soon!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8655628

My poor water lilies are being destroyed by a dog running around the RV park. He thinks the large tub I put them in is his personal bathtub!!! Now it look so beat up!! I need to find out who owns this dog and get the owner to put him on a run!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 26, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8655696

sounds like shooting words!! Why can't people control their pets. After all your work and patience. that is awful.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America