Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Chick photos

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 32, Views: 187
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8450398

OK, here we go:
Broiler chicks
Buff Orpingtons (peachy color)
Partridge Rocks (dark brown - no stripes)
Buff Brahmas (sort of buff! lol - no stripes)
Americaunas (striped)

Thumbnail by gallesfarm
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8450401

Another view:

Thumbnail by gallesfarm

gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8450402

Americauna

Thumbnail by gallesfarm

gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8450405

Buff Brahma

Thumbnail by gallesfarm

gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8450407

Buff Orpington

Thumbnail by gallesfarm

gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8450408

Partridge Rock

Thumbnail by gallesfarm

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8450439

Oh they're so cute! The Buff Brahma is a breed I think is really pretty, have fun!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8450575

Adorable and all look SO healthy.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8450650

oh how sweet.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2011
9:29 PM

Post #8450675

They are darling! I want some Partridge Rocks..
Elleisn
Denver, CO

March 25, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8450704

Oh how cute. I think I need some babies.

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8451815

Such sweet babies. What breed are the broiler chicks? Are they the light yellow ones? Someone gave me 5 chicks on Thursday and all they know about them is that they will be white chickens! They were used as props by a photographer for Easter pics!

Thumbnail by beclu727

gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 26, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8452458

Yes, the yellow chicks are the broilers and they are a cross between a white Plymouth Rock and a Cornish. They are usually called Cornish Rocks or "Cornish x Rocks".

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8452754

Thanks. I'll look up pics of Cornish Rocks.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8453382

Beclu, looks kinda like Delawares to me.. and it also looks like 1 boy and the rest girls.. that would be my guess.. :)
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 27, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8453423

Yep, looking at the photo, they have color in their wings which broilers don't. Mystery chicks are fun! ;)
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8453681

AAwww..babies!!..just hatched few myself..

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8453804

Wow, I hope ZZ is right. About the breed and the sex. I was kinda thinking 4 girls and a boy myself, cause of the feathering. They are very friendly and used to being handled. Thanks for the info. You guys are great.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8454095

Your going to have some really pretty chickies! Are you planning to Freezer camp the Broilers, or keep them for eggs?
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 27, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8454665

Eufaula wrote:Your going to have some really pretty chickies! Are you planning to Freezer camp the Broilers, or keep them for eggs?

Not sure if you meant me or Beclu... our broilers are going to Camp Kenmore in about 8-10 weeks. :)

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8455208

Both of you! LOL! Im still trying to get the " You can do It" enough to "camp" my roos. Ive given away 6 heavy boys so far! I just cant get my mind around eating them yet!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8459130

Oh I'm with you, Eufaula! Just can't eat them,or their eggs either! My mom is starting to make noises about how good chicken stock would be from one of my older hens... GADS, I can't even think about it! If I sent them away to be processed how would I know I was getting the same chickens back?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8459414

I really want to raise meat birds this year.. I feel the same way about getting my birds back from the processor.. I thought I was the only one worried about that. LOL

If I can move our chest freezer back in.. that would really sway my decision.. I have been canning homemade stock (bone stock) and after reading about how healthy it is, I really want to raise my own.

Ever notice how ugly the livers look from store bought birds? When you butcher your own, all the organs are beautiful and healthy looking.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8459500

Chicken livers from the store don't look fit to eat, looking at them is enough to make me feel like I'm not hungry. Homemade stock sounds divine, yum!

There is a local place that will process, but, all they do is give you back the same amount of processed chickens that you brought in, not the exact ones you bring. That wouldn't work for me. Guess I'll keep looking around for a place that will give me the same chickens. I have heard of people doing a toe hole punch on their birds feet and asking the butcher to keep the feet on, so they know for sure.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8459665

I put an ad in Craigslist asking if anyone did processing.. I got tons of offers and info. I wouldn't like to do a trade, if I was going to do that, I'll just stick with the ones from the store! I wouldn't like that at all.. I don't blame you.

I'd tattoo my birds.. LOL

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8462225

If I could get just one person to help me by actually "doing the deed", Id share the birds. plucking and processing would not be a problem for me, its just the Killing that gets me. If I could do it I wouldnt be having the grief Im having with the Demon Bird "Shrapnel"! (sigh)
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8462429

Poor Shrapnel!

There is no way I could do any part of processing. My chickens are big pets to me. I still don't eat their eggs either. But, I'm going to fugure out a way to have a couple done for my mom to make stock. I'm just not going to work on figuring it out any time soon LOL The other chicken board has get togethers they call "Chicken Stock" where they meet, eat, and some of them do processing together and teach/help others learn how to do it too. Thankfully they've all been pretty far from here so I haven't gone to them - an hour is far sometimes LOL.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8463748

I'm sure there is someone trustworthy around there that doesn't mind killing a chicken. There is a man painting my house here and he was telling me he used to kill his grandparent's chickens and it didn't bother him at all.

There used to be threads on here where people told how they killed their own. I remember one lady said she had a special pair of pants she wore and called them her "chicken killing pants". That was funny. Seems there are many different ways of killing them.

I'm sure I could do it if I was hungry.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8463775

I couldn't process the pets.. for sure none of the hens.. I did butcher some roos last year, it's hard, but it's over with real fast if you do it right. There are videos on youtube that I learned from. One guy shows the biblical way to do it, and he is right, there was no apparent suffering, so that's how I did it.
Plucking them is easy if your water is hot enough.. the first part is the hardest.. but the feathers wipe off and it rapidly looks like a market bird, so the "identity" is not so bad.
Gutting them is interesting really, it's not gross.. it's amazing how beautiful the organs are compared to the horrible stuff in a store bought bird. By that point, it is more like preparing food rather than killing a pet.
At least, that's how it was for me. :)

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2011
1:21 AM

Post #8464242

Thats what I mean. If someone else killed the bird , I could handle the rest. Now this is going to sound silly to some but here goes...
When you raise the bird , you know the bird. We all know each baby we raise to have its own personality, way of doing things, and silly little traits we remember from their growing up. So taking that bird ,that trusting bird, or that silly aggravating bird to the chopping block...you still have that bird looking at you and thinking you are its Mama and in a way trusting you!
Once the life has gone from it , it becomes just another bird for processing, no personality, once the feathers are gone, just another naked bird like any other you would prepare for a meal.
SEE... I told you it was silly!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8464922

I had way too many roosters... they were starting to fight constantly and were a general pain... That was totally different..

I went to the feed store looking at the meat birds, and I'd have to put them out where I don't deal with them or watch their cute chick antics other than to just feed... I didn't even like looking at them cause they were so fat and cuddly looking laying in a pile... So yeah, I can relate for sure!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2011
2:26 AM

Post #8466312

My uncle used to raise pigs. Sometimes he might have three sows with piglets. I used to try and look at them in the pen because they were so cute. He would chase us away, saying "You kids get away from there and leave those pigs alone. I mean it now!" I thought he was being mean, but my cousin said, no, he just knows they are for food and doesn't want anyone attached to them, including himself. Now I get it.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8466454

I can't even send troublesome roosters to auction without feeling really badly. I keep telling myself that I bought one from there as a pet, so maybe someone else isn't after dinner...

I no longer have trouble eating the eggs, though :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America