Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vermicomposting: Pineapple in the bin?

Communities > Forums > Vermicomposting
bookmark
Forum: VermicompostingReplies: 3, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jofus
Erie, PA

March 27, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8453152

Have unlimited access to fruit scraps. Pineapple included.
I grind all fruits together. Conflicting info about pineapple being bad for the worm bin.
Any thoughts on this?

Thumbnail by Jofus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8453159

i feed my worms almost everything..no meats of course..
i give mine pineapple when i get it.. i dont know if a "big" feeding or regular feeding
of pineapple would be harmful.. pineapple is pretty acidic..
hopefully others with alot more experience here can give their insights..
good luck to ya...
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 19, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8936113

I don't think pineapple is a good idea. If tomatoes and onions are to acidic I would like pineapple would be too!
mraider3
Helena, MT

December 20, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8936951

If your talking about the husks as well, you will need to grind them. If you can grind it, they will eat it, but Rhapsody is correct in that too much of one thing which is acidic will require a pH adjustment using something like calcium carbonate (CaCO3). My worms get lots of tomato refuse after gardening season is over and I haven't noticed a problem yet. Possibly because I add lots of egg shells to the indoor compost bins. I never worry about pH outdoors since I leave my bins uncovered except in the winter, and water them with a hose regularly. Even in the winter months I water the covered bin under my deck with warm water.

As for onions I can't say for sure why, but I never add them to my bins. It's just one of those unwritten rules...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Vermicomposting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vermicomposting anyone? margaran 74 Jan 31, 2008 9:09 PM
vermicomposting margaran 214 May 2, 2008 1:26 PM
Vermicomposting-2 margaran 92 Feb 15, 2008 2:36 AM
Welcome to the new Vermicomposting forum! Terry 16 Jul 21, 2013 6:32 PM
wrigglers? kooger 19 Jul 16, 2008 2:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America