Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Carolina Gardening: Cold nights

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 28, Views: 144
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8453228

39F tonight and 37F tomorrow - but looks like there's a decent chance for more rain tonight and then a slight breeze tomorrow (with cloudy skies). So I assume that means no frost danger bc of the breeze and clouds.

Really wish we'd get back to those warm temperatures we were enjoying. These high's in the 60's are nice, but I much preferred the mid-70's to low 80's.

Fingers still crossed we're past frost season this year.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8453536

I pulled the one BOP back inside the house...the rain last night was pretty hard on it's new shoots :)

GH was really cool today - heat came on set only at 45 (too many datura seedlings in there right now to not have a bit o heat if it drops too low

I've got my fingers crossed with ya!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8453787

It's suppose to get down to 40 tomorrow here with the high only 53 for the daytime. I'm thinking I put my kerosene heater away too soon. I'm so glad I resisted the urge to move the more tender stuff out of the greenhouse.
Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8455047

It's back to turtlenecks and sweaters here in New Bern. I too am glad I didn't go whole hog early in the garden!
Entlie

keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
5:08 AM

Post #8455135

Crap, they're calling for 34F tonight now and we're under a Freeze Watch. This rain will have made everything super heavy, but I guess we'll have to pull it all back inside (or as much as we can). Hopefully the frost blankets will protect the rest. Ugh, I hate how NOAA waits until the last minute on these things.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8455226

Well I guess I'm dragging the kerosene heater out .. low 50's for highs today and low 60's for tomorrow.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8455247

at least what's in the ground john is watered well - that should help with the cold temperatures having the roots hydrated -
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8455591

I'm going to bring my seedling hibiscus back in the greenhouse and bring back out the heater.
Not too surprised that this happened, but it would have been nice if it hadn't!
Barb
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8456025

Tori lovingly moved back into the garage some 20+ plants I had sunk in the ground this morning, so that'll be less to do tonight when I get off work. My brother said he'd come help me pull back up the really big stuff. Funny thing is, it can all go back out tomorrow.

Mother nature likes to tease us this time of year. I seriously hope this is the last freeze/frost of the season.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8456205

she's a great partner already John :)
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8456251

Indeed, I count myself lucky :)

Weird part of this weather is, NOAA still forecasting 34F but is not putting us under either a frost or freeze advisory. Not sure I completely understand that.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/cae/
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8456653

WIS said a freeze advisory on this morning's news for tonight...but we both know what that means...wait and see...38 here for Sumter - debating what to cover outside...do you think the gingers will be ok since only a few are up about two inches? concerned about the Trycirtis and if I should cover that...been a long day and I'm really not feeling a mass covering - but then I know I'll kick myself in the butt if something dies back :(
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8456910

I didn't protect any of my newly planted Gingers or EE's... I'm curious to see exactly what happens tonight. We were able to get everything major back in the garage, but lord I hope I don't have to do that again until next Fall. I may wait until the weekend to take things out again. That low of 43 on Sunday morning still makes me nervous - but perhaps I'm being paranoid at this point.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8456946

I went out and covered...I figured out a good use for all my plate covers from moving (the foam ones) they were big enough to cover phlox, crinums, gerbers etc..greenhouse heater on...no room for the stargazer lilies though...hopefully won't burn being covered...now to relax
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8457824

Sorta wish I'd covered up some things with pots now, it got down to 31F last night. Keeping my fingers crossed my Kauai EE's and the new gingers didn't get burned too badly. Frost was all over my car this morning, took a second to melt it off.

I loved that 'Spring... failed to load' graphic you and others posted on Facebook, that cracked me up. :)
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8457868

hoping for a quick warm up this morning and perhaps it was not cold long enough to do any real damage :)
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8457990

one hosta I didn't cover is burnt (spotting all over the leaves), Peonies, Trycirtis & Crinums covered but burned...we'll see what the day brings on recovery...Gingers that were up look ok thus far (covered) {{sigh}}

How'd every one else fare?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8458054

Only got into the upper 30's here ... everything looks ok .. i was worried about the morning glory's that i just planted two days ago but they look fine.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8458089

We got down to abut 35. Yesterday's overall average temp was 43, shattering the old record of 49. I haven't gone outside to see if there was any damage, but I'm betting there isn't.
Barb
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8470615

There's always that one April date that gets me, every time. I moved everything out this weekend and sure enough, they changed the forecast to call for 35F now on Tuesday night. Which probably means closer to 32 or so for us in Lexington.

I hope the frost blankets can protect everything. No way I can pick back up all that stuff and get it in after work tonight. Guess I just have to pay the price for my gambling. So frustrating. Especially when the low temperatures will be in the low 60's by the weekend. Crazy weather.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8470641

I moved a few more things out yesterday .. suppose to get down to 40 tomorrow night. I'm glad I'm a procrastinator!
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8470755

wondering if the cold snap will also affect the dragon fly and lightening bug babies I saw out last night...mother nature has certainly been a tease this year! I would much prefer 40's until the 60's are here to stay!
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8471178

I think (again I say that) this is the last of it. The forecast into the next week has us in the 80's and low's in the 60's - so if we get another late burst from Mother Nature, I'd be surprised. But last week was horrible - everything moving in and out and in and out, seemed the weather couldn't make up its mind.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8471192

the last thing you need to do is put your back out right before the wedding! cover 'em and pray :)
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8471232

I agree, at this point the growth on some trops might be stunted by the cold but I doubt you will lose anything and you have much more important things on your plate right now.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8474165

Well they've finally decided on 39 degrees tonight .. it's been wavering between 38 & 40. I decide to bring in the morning glories just in case.

Is it my imagination or has this spring been a lot windier than normal in the Low Country?
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8474181

It's been windy up here too, last night was especially bad with that front coming through, a lot of people lost power or had trees down this morning.

I moved almost all of my plants back in with the help of Tori and my brother yesterday evening. Didn't take as long as I thought with three people. I swore it would be the last time, as I agree with you all it's not worth worrying about anymore. Got enough irons in the fire at the moment. Hope to move it back out between Wed and Sunday... and KEEP it out no matter what.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8476465

now why did you have to go tempt mother nature and say 'no matter what' John :)
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8476713

Can I still *knock on wood* :)

Everything's back out, this time to stay... seriously. Everything looks nice and warm for the next week, and NOAA says average temperatures for the long term. I semi-believe them, but I leave in a little over two weeks and I need to get the rest of the stuff out of my garage this weekend. Here's hoping mother nature's in a good mood.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America