Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
laulow
Antioch, TN

March 27, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8453776

I have a question regarding Bamboo being used for ground cover and/or grass for the entire yard. I am new to Bamboo and did stop by a local nursery about a year ago but got caught in a rainstorm so didn't get a lot of questions answered. My husband and I live in Nashville, TN and are looking to try to get our yard looking nice. I had $3,000 worth of work done to it a few years ago and then we fell under a severe drought and lost just about everything. We do have 2 large Standard Poodles that like to run around the yard as well and there is an area under a tree that does not grow much grass due to the shade but the roots from the tree are coming up. My thought was to put some Distichus down in the shaded area as the lady at the bamboo nursery said it should grow quite well. My thought is how would an entire lawn look in a low growing bamboo and if it would look nice which would be the one to grow? That one little area is the only place that has really any type of shade. I assume we would have to contain it somehow from going into the neighbors yard with a trench or something. I saw a picture of a home with a yard in bamboo and it look very nice.

My next question would be, if it is possible and it would be a nice looking yard that would hold up to the dogs how would you plant it? Would you plant it in the grass that is already there and just let it take it over? How many plants would you need per square foot (or how ever it is measured)? I have tried everything to stand up to the dogs and not much does, nothing grows in that shaded area and I hate to spend anymore money on something that is going to be wasted.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Laurie

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8454845

Those questions are outside my area of expertise... dogs can be hard on all smaller plants, even bamboo. Remember, anything that survives in your climate could be an agressive runner and may run all the way into your neighbor's yard. Most of the species I have seen used as ground cover, are very wimpy runners, but they do not stand up to much trampling or punishment... look tattered and ugly then.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Bamboo Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A love affair, indeed!!! wannadanc 0 Aug 8, 2008 12:41 PM
Bamboo kwanjin 5 Jun 21, 2010 6:59 AM
Pots ccove 1 Aug 9, 2008 2:27 AM
I want some! SusieR 0 Aug 11, 2008 1:34 PM
SoCal Bamboo fscalpi 0 Aug 11, 2008 11:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America