Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gardening by the Moon: Gardening Calendar for April 2011

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 11, Views: 164
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8454328

We are already reaching April, all of you in the north, right into Spring and warm weather. Me, well the days are already much shorter and we are feeling the cold nights right now.

I am entering some of my plants that need protection from frost and cold temperatures and I am stocking up on cocoa for a nice hot chocolate over those cold winter nights ahead...
How charming! ... not really, but it could be worse!

Enjoy your new Gardening Season!

April 2011
1st-2nd Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops, Extra Good For Vine Crops. Set Strawberry Plants. Good Days For Transplanting.

3rd-4th Poor Planting Days. Break Ground Or Cultivate.

5th-6th Favorable For Planting Beans, Corn, Cotton, Tomatoes, Peppers, And Other Aboveground Crops.

7th-8th Poor Days For Planting, Seeds Tend To Rot In The Ground.

9th-10th Plant Tomatoes, Beans, Peppers, Corn, Cotton, And Other Aboveground Crops On These Most Fruitful Days. Plant Seedbeds. Start Flower Gardens.

11th-15th Grub Out Weeds, Briars, And Other Plant Pests.

16th-17th First Day Good For Planting Corn, Melons, Squash, Tomatoes, And Other Aboveground Crops. Last Day Favorable For Planting Root Crops. All Days Favorable For Sowing Grains, Hay And Fodder Crops, And For Planting Flowers.

18th-20th Good Days For Planting Beets, Carrots, Radishes, Turnips, Peanuts, And Other Root Crops. Also Good For Cabbage, Cauliflower, Lettuce, Kale, Celery, And Other Leafy Vegetables. Start Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.
21st-22nd Barren Days. Do No Planting.

23rd-25th Favorable Days For Planting Beets, Carrots, Turnips, Radishes, Onions, And Other Root Crops.

26th-27th Excellent Time To Kill Weeds, Briars, Poison Ivy, And Other Plant Pests.

28th-29th Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops, Extra Good For Vine Crops. Set Strawberry Plants. Good Days For Transplanting.

30th Poor Planting Day. Break Ground Or Cultivate.
LaLambchop
Chapin, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8459015

Thank you for doing this. Will plan accordingly.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8461314

Lalambchop, enjoy your gardening, I have to plant some coriander and transplant other winter vegies that I have in growing pots.

I did enter some tomato plants and red chillies that I grow in pots and I will try to over winter the chillies, I'll see how that goes
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8463353

Just curious, cristina, did you buy the farmers almanac or do you get the info online?
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8465650

evelyn_inthegarden, I've subscribed to the digital online version, it is too expensive the shipping to Chile to get the actual calendar, although there is a bookshop in Santiago that import the Calendar and if you want it you have to order around September for the following year.

I have share the link for the calendar online, simple version, few times but I still open a thread every month to have it available for my gardening friends in this forum.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1145708/
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8474383

I'm always happy to see this each month! I don't feel as guilty about avoiding a weed now and then because I'm waiting till the calendar says I should weed=) Plus I think it is good for my garden.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8474462

Christina, I need to ask you again what online calendar you subscribe to because I forgot... In any case, you do us a great service by posting the main dates!
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8474627

dmac085, It is my pleasure to put the calender

darius, I do get the one that goes for $ 4.95:

http://www.almanac.com/store/almanacs

To day I transplanted from the garden some chilli plants that are with plenty of chillies and soon we will have frost, I took the whole plant with all the roots and put them into big pots, I left them overnight resting in saucers with a bit of water to make the process less stressful, it works well for me and I hope that this year will be the same and I hope I'll have fresh chillies over the winter month.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8475353

Thanks.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8520096

I have also overwintered peppers successfully (bell peppers). They sort of go dormant and even loose a bunch of leaves (probably from the transplant shock and not as much sun as in the garden) so the peppers on the plants don't get big and sometimes fall off. But at least the plant stays alive and can be put back in the garden in the spring. I hope yours do better and that the peppers will get ripe for you.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8522566

Ladypearl I hope you are right, I will tell you how do they behave and if they continue making fruits, the nights are becoming colder and a week ago I started lighting up my heater, slow combustion wood burner.

We have some intensive rains but not frost, so far.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8523753

It is truly a blessing to get rain. We are in a drought right now and you have probably heard about the wildfires here in Texas. We need rain!
Let us know how those peppers do. (Maybe if I had put grow lights over mine they would have done better.)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America